Not open for further replies.
I just found out something thats not illegal

-in pokemon box you get a surfing pichu at level 5
-pichu learns nasty plot at level 16 or such
-migrate it to diamond at level 5 or below 16
-level it up to the level it learns nasty plot
-then evolve it

simple isnt it
what about transform ditto to smergle and sketch stuff?

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I just found out something thats not illegal

-in pokemon box you get a surfing pichu at level 5
-pichu learns nasty plot at level 16 or such
-migrate it to diamond at level 5 or below 16
-level it up to the level it learns nasty plot
-then evolve it

simple isnt it
what about transform ditto to smergle and sketch stuff?
You can't transfer any pokémon who knows any HMs.

Toothache

Let the music play!
is a Community Leader Alumnus
I started at the bottom alphabetically, so here's what I've discovered. Of the list, the D/P egg moves are incompatible with Emerald Move Tutors unless they are also D/P TMs, where as the Advance egg moves are compatible with both D/P egg moves, D/P level-up moves and Emerald Move tutors. Also some combinations which I've checked to be illegal will be noted.

Smeargle is in the Ground egg group so the combinations of egg moves from that group will be easier to obtain. Also moves from XD are incompatible with any egg move (some XD Pokemon come with an egg move already learned in addition to their XD unique move, so they can have this move only). All other moves, including TMs and HMs and other level-up moves can be combined with these moves normally.

Note that some level up moves can only be gained in certain advance games (Destiny Bond can only be obtained for Qwilfish on Fire Red/Leaf Green for example) so those moves will likewise be incompatible with the D/P egg moves

Zangoose (ground egg group):
D/P unique egg moves: Fury Swipes, Night Slash, Double Hit, Metal Claw + all Advance egg moves

D/P unique level up moves: Embargo, X-Scissor, Close Combat

Level up moves: Scratch, Leer, Quick Attack, Fury Cutter, Slash, Pursuit, Crush Claw, Taunt, Detect, False Swipe

Advance egg moves: Flail, Double Kick, Razor Wind, Curse, Counter, Roar

Move Tutor moves: Dynamicpunch, Rollout, Snore, Icy Wind, Mud Slap, Ice Punch, Swagger, Swift, Defence Curl, Thunderpunch, Fire Punch, Mega Punch, Mega Kick, Body Slam, Double-Edge, Seismic Toss, Mimic (Counter) (Substitute, Swords Dance, Thunder Wave, Sleep Talk, Endure)
*Note: the first bracket here is for moves which are gained by egg move as well as Move Tutor. The second bracket are for those moves which are TMs in Diamond/Pearl

XD Move: Refresh (incompatible with egg moves)

Other unique event moves:

What this means, for example is that Zangoose cannot have Refresh combined with any egg move in it's moveset. It cannot also have any Move Tutor move except those that are now TMs in D/P (Substitute, Swords Dance, Thunder Wave, Sleep Talk and Endure, in this case) or also egg moves (Counter for example) combined with the new D/P egg moves listed above.

For practical purposes, this means the elemental punches are incompatible with Night Slash, as an example

It's because breeding is so hard and complicated now that it may be impossible to tell (i.e. the Counter/Mirror Coat Gastrodon discovery).
What Counter/Mirror Coat Gastrodon discovery? Surely Swampert (Mirror Coat as egg move, Counter as Emerald tutor) can pass them?
On the topic of Swampert/Gastrodon, I used to use a Curse/Mirror Coat Swampert on Shoddy, reasoning that it was OK, seeing as
Gastrodon can have both as egg moves.
But guess what the only Pokémon that has them in its movepool and can breed with Gastrodon is? -_-

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
He was talking about Curse and Mirror Coat Gastrodon, not Counter and Mirror Coat Gastrodon.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Yes it is legal. Idk why Lee said it wasn't.
I clearly said that Drifblim learns Baton Pass by level and Hypnosis by egg move. How could that possibly imply it was illegal? I should have probably led off with "Yes," rather than "No" though. :)

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Snorlax can't use Pursuit and Selfdestruct on the same set. Found this out the hard way.

Anyway, I really reccommend we have a fixed thread where we have the OU Pokemon's illegal movesets. It isn't fantastic having an illegal set, say, in the finals of a Smogon tournament is it?

something like surfing pikachu with a modest nature is also illegal, its just because its not obtainable in the game. It does not mean that it is broken, I am sure some movesets are, but some are not.

something like surfing pikachu with a modest nature is also illegal, its just because its not obtainable in the game. It does not mean that it is broken, I am sure some movesets are, but some are not.
Yea, surking pikachu/raichu can only be hardy nature. I'm sure if there is a Pichu that learns surf but if not then you can't have nasty plot at the same time either.

Other than that, Lock-on + Sheer Cold = Dick move.
Yea, but can't Articuno can still Mind Reader + Sheer Cold. Granted, you could switch out from that, but you'd still run the risk of that 30% acc.

The one that comes to mind for me is Ursaring cannot have elemental punches with breeding moves like Close Combat and Crunch. I know Cloe Combat is less popular than Earthquake, but I like running it with Crunch/Shadow Claw instead. Quick Feet + Toxic Orb + Swords Dance + Facade it awesome!

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Shoddy doesn't prohibit you solely because they haven't implemented it yet, not because they want you to.

If these aren't already up:
Charm + Seismic Toss Blissey
Belly Drum + Baton Pass Hypno (sorry :( )

Also, Serebii's (and by extension Legendarypokemon's) moveset maker fails to account for third gen tutor moves (try typing in Seismic Toss + Softboiled someday). The only thing that I've seen that does is Veekun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)