im flagging smogoff

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Finland's stance on tricolors seems to be "has anyone else used these same colors in a different tricolor? If no, flag = good". And I honestly can't blame 'em.

I assume Mongolia would be S tier:

✔ Never-before-seen color arrangement
✔ Out-of-center seal location
✔ Funny aspect ratio
i was actually this close to putting it as an example in the good flags. only hesitated bc i dont know how i feel about the aspect ratio for a “tricolor” stripe specifically. but yeah at least S-, it’s sick

Reactions: Ivy

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Which Japanese flag does it best in your opinion? I like the National Flag and the Flag of the Imperial Navy personally.
1613316614365.png

The Soviet Union's flag is pretty good, but I feel like it'd be better if the star, hammer, and sickle was a large, central focal point instead of being up in the top corner.
1613316875581.png

I'm also a big fan of Cyprus' flag, as it just gets to the point instead of fannying around with ideograms:
1613317085391.png

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Which Japanese flag does it best in your opinion? I like the National Flag and the Flag of the Imperial Navy personally.
I'm partial to the chrysanthemum standard, as well as imperial korea's plum seal, I may just like flowers lol. But I gotta put the naval jack as both my favorite and the best. That one's iconic and for good reason. National flag is definitely good and I like it, honestly I prob underappreciate it a little. There's something I can't quite formulate, it's like... subtly aggressively sharp? Army flag is just... menacing honestly! Probably a little unsubtle for a flag but it is good at what it does! I don't particularly love the self defense forces one, it just feels a bit discordant and jagged I guess. I'm not really sure whether I like the navy jack red or maritime forces red more.

The Soviet Union's flag is pretty good, but I feel like it'd be better if the star, hammer, and sickle was a large, central focal point instead of being up in the top corner.
View attachment 315679

I'm also a big fan of Cyprus' flag, as it just gets to the point instead of fannying around with ideograms:
View attachment 315680
Cyprus is great, being uber-personalized without being showy which is hard to pull off. Those colors on white are just pleasing to look at.

I'm torn on the soviet flag. Absolutely iconic insignia and color scheme, but just as you implied, there's just so much empty space. Centering a larger insignia could totally be kickass, particularly helping the star pop because it's a bit tucked away in its current location.

Another flag I'm torn on:

(Republic of China)
It's kinda janky with the stripe count and colors into double monochrome, but it's also so pretty in a way

Last edited:

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
I've found that the best place to find flags is r/somnivexillology, which is a collection of flags that people see in dreams. Here are some trippy highlights:

https://www.reddit.com/r/somnivexillology/comments/lg0c67
https://www.reddit.com/r/somnivexillology/comments/i52ehd
submitter of the flag said:
The spokes of the wheel each represent a class in the society, with the longest spoke representing the bear leader, and the second longest being the bear's second in command, Nigel. The 5 spikes after that represent the 5 ranks of the military, in order from highest ranking to lowest: red rank, blue rank, yellow, green, and white. Shortest spoke represents the lowest class, the commoners.

In my dream, I was the leader of a red-rank squadron who ended up falling into a romance with the bear and discovered the source of his immortality was some sort of secret liquid he would ingest regularly. For reasons unrelated to this discovery, I defected from the military and made a big show of running away before eventually being stopped by a river, where my shoes filled with water and dragged me down to the bottom.
https://www.reddit.com/r/somnivexillology/comments/kynkqr

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)