All Gens Implementing all old gens in PS - Testers required!

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hello, dear RoA roamers!
We want all the old gens available in PS and working as perfectly as possible. Currently we have Gen 4 and Gen 1 beta ladders, as well as Gen 3 custom game available by challenge. My aim is to get all four past gens working properly on PS with an OU ladder asap, to have them before Gen 6 is released. I've started the Gen 2 development, and all gens can be played in my server. I need expert people like you to point out bug and wrong mechanics. So, well, I'd like to use this thread as some kind of old gens development hub.

Gen 1
Known bugs
  • None :o
Not a bug
  • Almost all moves have a 1/256 chance to miss.
  • Exploding on a Substitute and making it faint does not faint user and removes the sprite.
  • Hyper Beam does not recharge upon faint.
Fixed after the creation of this thread
  • Transform moves should not cap at 5 PP, rather to have 5 PP and show real max PP.
  • When you use a partial trapping move at 0 PP on continued sequence, you are trapped in Struggle.
  • Partial trapping moves do not roll to max PP when used at 0 PP on a switch-in.
  • Critical hits ignoring Reflect/Light screen
  • Rollover is to 63pp, not maxpp.
  • Other stuff not listed here, listed in my to-do list or just on git.
  • Bide duration
  • Counter is not being carried through turns and needs overall fixing.
  • Mirror move mechanics.
  • Substitute should take confusion self-hit damage.
  • Partial Trapping moves should not be stopped by Substitute.
  • Partial Trapping damage is not really working well.
  • When Rage misses, its accuracy becomes 1/256 for the rest of the match.
Gen 2
Done
  • Basic learnsets.
  • No abilities.
  • No gen3+ items.
  • No gen3+ Pokémon.
  • Correct automatic IVs for Hidden Power, male and female, shiny Pokémon. If your Pokémon uses a Hidden Power, engine auto-sets IVs to best ones, that means only male unless it's female-only species and not shiny. Otherwise, it just limits IVs to 30 and chooses gender, shininess, and possible HP (mimic) upon the given IVs. Since DVs went from 0 to 15, IVs are only the even numbers from 0 to 30. This is also controlled, an IV of 29 will get changed to 28 and so on. If you wish for some reason for your Pokémon to be shiny or female (lol), you should set the correct IVs by yourself. Just check the correspondent DVs and multiply them by 2.
  • Event Snorlax with Lovely Kiss.
  • Explosion and Self-destruct end turn, same as gen 1 a faint ends the recurring damages including Curse.
  • Recurrent damage after the Pokémon moves, like in Gen 1.
  • Rest can be called by Sleep Talk.
  • Sleep mechanics.
  • Spikes only has one layer.
  • Explosion and Self-destruct halve defense (double power).
  • Belly Drum glitch.
  • Substitute doesn't block Mean Look/Spider Web.
  • Event Pokémon.
  • Toxic goes back to normal poison on switch out.
  • Encore lasts 2-5 turns.
  • Sleep Talk only using Sleep Talk PP.
  • Cap stats at 999 with exceptions. Marowak + Thick Club and Pikachu + Light Ball get their stats rolled over over 1024. Also metal powder Ditto rofl.
  • Spite reduces the foe's PP by 1-5 rather than 2-5.
  • All negative priority is -1.
  • Roar and Whirlwind fail if they are not the last move.
  • Powder Snow has a 9.8% chance of freezing the target rather than 10%.
  • Critical Hits weird working with stat boosts.
Not a bug / not adding
  • Present weird mechanics, since that's fixed in Crystal.
  • Gen 2 only items (like weird berries). (Present, but needs reviewing and discuss reusing of new berries)
  • Make self confusing moves confuse but not give a message.
Gen 3
Known bugs
Gen 4
Known bugs
  • When user switches out and is pursuited, game should report the switch-out try even if it faints. The switch will also stay, you shouldn't get another opportunity to choose.
  • When you are Choiced and Trick a Choice item, you must remain Choice-locked.

Last edited:

Lavos

Banned deucer.
wait, so gsc's basically done on your server (other than a few minor kinks)? that's really impressive. i think the only "big deal" left is sleep talk not only using its own pp, since that can be super annoying in pp stall scenarios, but it looks pretty good overall. if anyone would like to have a few games to test it out i'll be over on joim's server for the next half hour.

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
After a couple of battles, several Gen 2 small things fixed :) It still needs a lot of minor changes, I gotta review all mechanics to see that I've made them correct, hehe. Thanks for playing!

Royal Flush

in brazil rain
is a Past WCoP Champion
The two weird ones about GSC just in case (didn't test to check sorry):

1) Critical hits: If your (S)Atk stat boost (+0, +1, +2 etc.) is equal or lower than the enemy (S)Def, both boosts are ignored on the damage calc, as well as screens and burn atk drop. If it's higher, none of those will be ignored.
Simple example: Cross Chop CH against a Reflect Starmie deals more damage if Machamp is at +0 than +1.

Start of turn 7
The foe's Starmie used Reflect!
Reflect raised lollercoaster's team defense!

Machamp used Cross Chop!
It's not very effective...
A critical hit!
The foe's Starmie lost 46% of its health!

The foe's Starmie restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
Machamp restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 8
The foe's Starmie used Recover!
The foe's Starmie regained health!

Machamp used Curse!
Machamp's Attack rose!
Machamp's Defense rose!
Machamp's Speed fell!

Start of turn 9
The foe's Starmie used Rapid Spin!
Machamp lost 11 HP! (2% of its health)

Machamp used Cross Chop!
It's not very effective...
A critical hit!
The foe's Starmie lost 35% of its health!

The foe's Starmie restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

2) Substitute doesn't block Mean Look/Spider Web.

Joim

Pixels matter
I added Belly Drum glitch and Substitute not blocking Mean Look and Spider Web, but I need a little of research on the stat boost thing :p

Royal Flush

in brazil rain
is a Past WCoP Champion
I added Belly Drum glitch and Substitute not blocking Mean Look and Spider Web, but I need a little of research on the stat boost thing :p
Pretty sure you won't find info for it anywhere near. I think it was Maguss who tested this on the actual cartridges when we were doing old gen research to implement on PO. I suppose the thread is still here if you search for Gen 2 tags.

Joim

Pixels matter
I'd like to have the specifics since that's not a trivial change and rather important, thanks for sharing the information, though, let's see what I can find :) Also my gen 2 cartridge is 800km away from me so I should get a ROM or something to try to test it, heh

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I did a fair bit of research into the NYPC moves for PO, it'd be at least worth stealing my sources

Edit: also collections of past gen info:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65453
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85493
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85497

And is there much subgen support on PS? iirc the belly drum glitch only happened in Crystal not GS, and in GS it just KOs the user if at under 50%.

Also, where are you getting the base learnset data from? Veekun I hope?

Good to see someone's taking this on.

Joim

Pixels matter
I used Veekun's DB to make the current learnset, I'm using the Bulbapedia NYPC event list to add all event Pokémon right now. I will probably dump the scripts I used in my GitHub, too.

I'm implementing basically Crystal mechanics, as in PS we prefer cartridges over Stadium and we don't have support for sub-gens (they could be added, but it's a lot of work for barely anyone to play them). iirc Gen 2 has been played with Crystal mechanics for long, just the decision.

Thanks for your research, it will be very helpful to finish gen 2 soon :)

http://www.upokecenter.com/games/gs/guides/timing.php#criticalhits

during a critical hit, if the attacker's Attack or Special Attack stat stage is equal to or less than the opposing Pokémon's Attack or Special Defense stat stage, changes to Attack, Defense, Special Attack, and Special Defense because of Reflect, Light Screen, badges, stat stages, and burns are ignored.
Stat stage modifying attacks (see below) modify the appropriate stat (Attack or Defense).* (This calculation is done in advance rather than during damage calculation.)
If the attacker is burned, halve the Attack value.* (This calculation is done in advance rather than during damage calculation.)
If the attack is Selfdestruct or Explosion, divide the opposing Pokémon's Defense by 2.
If Reflect is in effect for the opposing Pokémon, double the Defense value.*
If Light Screen is in effect for the opposing Pokémon, double the Special Defense value.*
* This effect is ignored if the attack does a critical hit and the attacker's Attack or Special Attack stat stage is less than or equal to the opposing Pokémon's Attack or Special Defense stat stage.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Good, Veekun is generally near-perfect for base learnset data (maybe perfect with the latest round of rips). I'd advise against entirely trusting bulba for NYPC, the open editing system is great for some things, but there are a number of hoax NYPC moves which may have been added to BP without adequate review.

Right about subgens. I'm fond of aiming for being able to simulate everything, but it's understandable that it'd be a low priority. Are there plans for gen 3/4 doubles?

And no problem, good luck with this project :)

Joim

Pixels matter
Bulbapedia looks legit after a cross check, I will treat that information carefully, though.
I'd love to have Stadium gen 1 (but we all hate it! :P); GS, C, Stadium 2 Gen 2, etc., but it's low priority because it would appeal a very small number of players. I would like to do that in the future, though.

No idea on gen 3 / 4 doubles, but unless some mechanics need to change, creating such format is not difficult.

Also, thanks Crystal_ for that information!

Needs moar auto-crit Persians!

Good work Joim! I'll be looking forward to testing some of this stuff soon! Or whenever OMPL is over, idk.

Joim

Pixels matter
Here are all the gen 2 events :) My script added even the shiny mon events, but that's irrelevant. If you see something odd or lacking, post, please! Also the full learnsets here. If anyone wonders, the Dratini event with Extremespeed is that one you get in-game in Crystal if you answer all dragon den questions correctly.

In RBY, toxic poison should revert back to normal poison once the pokemon switches out. When I last played, it stayed as toxic poison. Not sure if this has been fixed or not.

Joim

Pixels matter
In RBY, toxic poison should revert back to normal poison once the pokemon switches out. When I last played, it stayed as toxic poison. Not sure if this has been fixed or not.
Yes, that was fixed :)

Joim

Pixels matter
I will soon try to get up a Gen 2 OU ladder, as soon as I add the items. I'm working on several things too, like the infamous 0 pp Wrap bug. It'd be cool if you people keep testing Gen 3 in PS, Marty is working on it too but we need to know what to tackle!

Gen 1
Known bugs

• When Rage misses, its accuracy becomes 1/256 for the rest of the match.
Not a bug

• Almost all moves have a 1/256 chance to miss.
A few questions/comments regarding the above:

- I'm guessing the Rage bug is referring to every use of Rage for the rest of the match? That would indeed be a bug; however, every use of Rage from the one who missed in the first place should have 1/256 accuracy.
- Which moves aside from Swift don't have a 1/256 miss chance?

Also, according to upokecenter's Gen I damage formula, critical hits should deal (41/21)x damage* instead of exactly 2x. This is because critical hits actually double the user's level in the calculation, instead of the final damage amount. Not sure if this was already implemented; just bringing it up in case it isn't.

*The actual multiplier is (int(4L/5)+2)/(int(2L/5)+2), where L is the user's level. This results in the CH modifier being rather low at the beginning (it's only 1.5x at level 5, for example), and then asymptotically approaching 2x as the level increases.

You know, I would be happy to help test around to get the gen 2 ladder in full swing, but what times are people active, when I go their is is almost always dead?

Joim

Pixels matter
The rage bug refers to the late, which i a cartridge bug.

Gen 2 ladder will go up soon.

I've fixed the partial trapping - struggle bug, so I've unbanned them. Now we can test Wrap meta and even suspect it! Additionally, I'll get gen 1 out of beta when this list is done with a rank reset.

Joim

Pixels matter
I recall that whenever Fly is interrupted by confusion self-damage or full paralysis in RBY, it results in the user staying invulnerable until it uses Fly again. The same appears to apply for Dig as well. Is this feature correctly implemented?
No, that's on the readme. It's difficult for it to happen and abusable. It'll end up implemented after everything else and out of beta stage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)