Infernape

QC checks: alexwolf, Ash Borer, CyclicCompound
GP checks: horyzhnz, Calm Pokemaster

Credits to Hibiki for letting me take over and basically allowing me to use his as a base lmao.
Literally Goku.

Overview
########
As in generations past, Infernape utilizes its mixed prowess and great coverage to break through defensive teams. Unfortunately, it faces competition from threats such as Kyurem-B and Landorus, which are both great at dismantling slower defensive teams as well, while boasting significantly higher offenses. However, Infernape's biggest competitor is Keldeo, due to its generally greater power as well as its ability to hit specially defensive walls with Secret Sword. Furthermore, many prevalent Pokemon such as Deoxys-S, Azumarill, and Talonflame give Infernape plenty of problems, and when you consider its relatively weak 104 / 104 offenses as well as its frailness, you have a Pokemon that has trouble fitting into the current metagame. However, Infernape has the advantage of being able to go either physical or special, thanks to its access to great physical and special STAB moves. Due to its great coverage, the amount of walls that can switch in are extremely limited, allowing Infernape to break defensive teams; play to its strengths, and it shall not disappoint.

MixApe
########
name: MixApe
move 1: Fire Blast / Flare Blitz
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: Thunder Punch
move 4: Grass Knot / Mach Punch / Hidden Power Ice
ability: Iron Fist
item: Life Orb
evs: 168 Atk / 88 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Naive

Moves
========
Close Combat is mandatory, as it is Infernape's strongest Fighting STAB move and allows it to hit neutral Pokemon for some solid damage. Fire Blast is preferred as the Fire STAB move to hit physically defensive Pokemon such as Landorus-T and Gliscor for solid damage. Flare Blitz hits harder in general, but it leaves Infernape walled by the aforementioned threats unless it is running Hidden Power Ice and also susceptible to an Attack drop from Aegislash's King's Shield, which cripples Infernape until it switches. Thunder Punch is an amazing move on Infernape and should always be used as it is boosted by Iron Fist and hits many common switch-ins such as Gyarados, Talonflame, and Azumarill. A super effective Thunder Punch is also as strong as a neutral Close Combat, making it the best move against Pokemon neutral to Fighting-type moves, such as Mandibuzz and Keldeo; allowing Infernape to avoid the defenses drop. For the last slot, Grass Knot is a solid option since it allows Infernape to hit two usually solid checks, OHKOing Quagsire and 2HKOing specially defensive Hippowdon. Mach Punch is also useful in order to revenge kill threats such as +1 Mega Gyarados, +1 Mega Tyranitar, Greninja, and Bisharp, while also letting Infernape avoid a potential speed tie with Terrakion and other base 108 Speed Pokemon. If you do decide to go with the aforementioned Flare Blitz, Hidden Power Ice can be used as the final move for hitting Landorus-T, Garchomp, Dragonite, and Gliscor.

Set Details
========
168 Attack EVs ensures Close Combat is a guaranteed OHKO on Heatran and 2HKOes Rotom-W after Stealth Rock. Hidden Power Ice guarantees a OHKO on Gliscor, Landorus, and Dragonite after Stealth Rock. Even if you decide not to go with Hidden Power Ice, 88 Special Attack EVs also allows Infernape to 2HKO Gliscor and Landorus with Fire Blast, meaning it can run Grass Knot or Mach Punch, making Infernape harder to wall and gives it more utility. Maximum Speed investment is mandatory to tie with other base 108 Speed Pokemon such as Keldeo and outspeed Pokemon like Garchomp. If you go with Flare Blitz, 252 Attack EVs is a good idea, as Hidden Power Ice and Grass Knot are meant for 4x weak targets barring Hippowdon, and even with only 4 Special Attack EVs, Infernape still OHKOes Quagsire with Grass Knot, while Gliscor and Landorus-T still get beaten by Flare Blitz + Hidden Power Ice. With this, Flare Blitz guarantees the 2HKO on Sylveon and Mega Venusaur after Stealth Rock damage, while Fire Blast doesn't. Iron Fist is the preferred ability as it boosts Thunder Punch and Mach Punch while not being as situational as Blaze.

Usage Tips
========
Infernape is a mixed wallbreaker rather than a sweeper, so you shouldn't despair when Infernape faints, as it has probably paved the road for your team's sweepers. Infernape's strong STAB moves allow it to break through many walls that are common in stall, such as Chansey, Heatran, and Skarmory. This combined with Infernape's nice coverage and Speed allow it to threaten and KO the majority of Pokemon on the switch-in. However, when using Infernape, you need to make sure that you aren't too reckless, as it is easily worn down by Life Orb recoil as well as entry hazards and occasionally sand, especially if you choose to use Flare Blitz. Having a Pokemon with U-turn or Volt Switch greatly compliments Infernape's ability to wallbreak since you can safely switch it in.

Team Options
========
Infernape has plenty of good teammates that can compliment it. Rotom-W is generally a great pick, as it resists Water and Flying, is immune to Ground, and checks Talonflame, Azumarill, and Mega Pinsir, which threaten Infernape with super effective priority moves. Rotom-W also has a slow Volt Switch to allow Infernape to switch in without taking a hit, as Infernape is frail and will be taking a lot of residual damage as it is. Substitute Kyurem-B with Fusion Bolt and Thundurus are also good options, dealing with bulky Water-types that Infernape might struggle with, like Slowbro. Bisharp is an amazing choice for a team member, as it knocks out or traps Latios and Latias with either Sucker Punch or Pursuit; it can even gain an Attack boost from Defiant if it switches in as these use Defog. As with other mixed attackers, Infernape operates best with stacked entry hazards because it forces a ton of switches, and for this reason, lead Deoxys-S and Deoxys-D work well with it. Late-game sweepers like Mega Pinsir, Mega Charizard X, Talonflame, and Dragonite appreciate Infernape wearing down their checks. If your Mega Evolution Slot has not been used, offensive Mega Venusaur is also a good option, as it can counter checks to Infernape such as Azumarill, Keldeo, and Thundurus while breaking through Clefable and Sylveon, which can otherwise set up on Infernape. Finally, Latios and Latias will like Infernape's ability to beat Chansey, Heatran, Skarmory, and Hippowdon if running Grass Knot. They also appreciate Infernape being able to check Scizor and Bisharp with Fire Blast and Mach Punch respectively.

Other Options
########
Infernape can run a Choice Band set with sun support, as it hits very hard with Flare Blitz and also has a very powerful Close Combat for Pokemon that resist Fire-type moves. However, this set will take massive recoil thanks to the damage Flare Blitz dishes out. Infernape also appreciates being able to switch moves, as wallbreaking is its main niche.

A lead Infernape set with Fake Out and Focus Sash could also work thanks to its ability to check the common Deoxys-S leads with Fake Out and Fire Blast. Unfortunately, Infernape will lose a lot of power by losing Life Orb, and once its Focus Sash is gone, it won't be too useful for the rest of the match.

A Nasty Plot set with Close Combat is also an option because it cleanly 2HKOes many otherwise huge threats to special sweepers such as Chansey and Heatran while still having Fire Blast and a coverage move of choice. However, Infernape is frail and will get shut down by most revenge killers, often making setting up meaningless.

Checks & Counters
########
**Revenge Killers**: Due to Infernape's sheer frailty, anything that's faster than it will probably kill it, especially if it has super effective priority. If Infernape cannot kill it with Mach Punch then you must switch or else Infernape will be likely knocked out. Pokemon such as Azumarill, Talonflame, and Deoxys-S are able to revenge kill Infernape with their priority moves or, as in Deoxys-S's case, super effective STAB moves.

**Mixed Walls**: Pokemon that resist Infernape's moves and also have good defenses will be able to take anything it throws at them. Specially defensive Hippowdon (if Infernape is lacking Grass Knot) and Slowbro in particular are massive problems for Infernape, both being able to take its STAB moves and using Slack Off to recover any lost health while Infernape is OHKOed in return by Earthquake and Scald, respectively.

**Latios and Latias**: Latios and Latias both shrug off anything Infernape throws at them while outspeeding and OHKOing with either Draco Meteor or Psyshock.

Last edited:

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
mention how flare blitz 2HKOs sylveon as an upside to the move. this is solid though QC 2/3

Ash Borer

oh and mention in SD that if running flare blitz basically max atk is what you want as GK/hp ice take care of their 4x targets regardless. Also something to pursuit latis in team options.

I feel like Infernape doesn't deserve to be OU. It's bottom tier and usually overlooked and underused. It's easy to check and sun wallbreaking is no longer as viable. His anti-lead sucks now. Only Life Orb mixed or fully physical remains. And most people, when wanting a fast fire type, go with Talonflame and, when wanting a fast fighting type, go with Keldeo or Terrakion. Maybe a quick Infernape trip to UU might be what it needs.

I feel like Infernape doesn't deserve to be OU. It's bottom tier and usually overlooked and underused. It's easy to check and sun wallbreaking is no longer as viable. His anti-lead sucks now. Only Life Orb mixed or fully physical remains. And most people, when wanting a fast fire type, go with Talonflame and, when wanting a fast fighting type, go with Keldeo or Terrakion. Maybe a quick Infernape trip to UU might be what it needs.
Whether a Pokemon is UU or OU is dependent on usage. As of right now, Infernape is being used enough to make the OU cutoff, therefore, it is OU.

Talonflame cannot pressure Pokemon such as Rotom-W, Heatran, TTar, and unless it's the WoW set can't even reliably beat Aegislash, all common Pokemon in the meta which Infernape fares well against. While also being able to pick off stragglers such as Mega Gyarados and Mega Tyranitar, which Talonflame does not. Terrakion's all physical movepool leaves it more vulnerable to stuff like Landorus-T and Aegislash unlike Infernape. As for comparing it to Keldeo, it can guaranteed 2HKO standard 252/252+Def Mega Venusaur with Fire Blast after SR damage, where Keldeo relies on a damage role, and is forced to lock itself into weak, un-STAB HP Flying and predict accordingly. With prior damage on mixed walls such as Sylveon and Clefable, it can also manage a 2HKO, turning it into a viable win condition vs most stall teams.

Last edited:

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
In the overview, make sure you mention how easy it is for Infernape to go mixed—this is really one of Infernape's main niches. There really aren't a lot of other Pokemon who get to decide whether they want their main STAB to be physical and special, and see almost equal results from both.

Furthermore, go a little more in-depth as to Infernape's cons—there's a lot more than just being outclassed, and your overview should put heavy scrutiny on what it is that makes Infernape one of OU's lesser-used Pokemon. For example, it has very shallow bulk, is easily checked by common Pokemon like Talonflame, Azumarill, Scarf Excadrill, etc., and by OU standards it's actually quite weak (base 104 offenses).

Other than that, the rest of your sections are very good content-wise. However, before I stamp this, I'd like you to do two things:
  1. Fix up your overview a bit as previously mentioned.
  2. Fix up the formatting of this analysis. It deviates a little too much from the intended format, which can be found here (specifically look at the example provided).
Let me know when you've fixed these things and I'll stamp this.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm not QC, but I'm wondering why Overheat completely was dropped from the analysis. There is no way it deserves a slash and a moves mention might be a bit too much but it should definitely have a spot in OO at least. It should also be mentioned that no other special moves should be used along side Overheat (especially HP Ice) and that Ape can forego some of Its SpA investment to make its physical moves hit harder.

Also, perhaps in the Overview mention why its amazing coverage sets it apart from other fast fighting types . AKA: It has a coverage move to 2HKO / outright OHKO almost of its checks if they come in on said coverage move and its coverage and STABs are mixed. The coverage it has and the ability to go mixed are Apes largest strengths it has over its competition. I don't feel like the overview communicates this enough yet.
Edit: I think making direct comparisons is the way to go in the overview

Ok, the set is really weirdly formatted. It should looks like this:

MixApe
######
evs: 168 Atk / 88 SpA / 252 Speed

Nothing to do with your content, just a minor formatting issues :)

Ash Borer

I'm not QC, but I'm wondering why Overheat completely was dropped from the analysis. There is no way it deserves a slash and a moves mention might be a bit too much but it should definitely have a spot in OO at least. It should also be mentioned that no other special moves should be used along side Overheat (especially HP Ice) and that Ape can forego some of Its SpA investment to make its physical moves hit harder.

Also, perhaps in the Overview mention why its amazing coverage sets it apart from other fast fighting types . AKA: It has a coverage move to 2HKO / outright OHKO almost of its checks if they come in on said coverage move and its coverage and STABs are mixed. The coverage it has and the ability to go mixed are Apes largest strengths it has over its competition. I don't feel like the overview communicates this enough yet.
2 overheats is weaker than 2 blasts, so unless it gets some OHKOs then its basically inferior

The main reason why I rejected Overheat is because I don't see any reason to put it. The Pokemon that are weak to fire/physically defensive and don't resist fire will generally get 2HKO'd anyways and by using overheat you're literally ruining many of your chances to 2hko. Particularly say physically defensive Hippo.

Ok, the set is really weirdly formatted. It should looks like this:

MixApe
######
evs: 168 Atk / 88 SpA / 252 Speed

Nothing to do with your content, just a minor formatting issues :)
Mb. Fixed!

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
Alright, this is better. Your checks and counters section is still a little bit off, but check out some of the completed analyses to figure out how to fix that. I'll give you the stamp now, though, I trust you to fix it.

QC 3/3

Hahaha you accidentally C/P'd my "Ok, the set is really weirdly formatted. It should looks like this:" message into your analysis... Might want to change that :3

Hahaha you accidentally C/P'd my "Ok, the set is really weirdly formatted. It should looks like this:" message into your analysis... Might want to change that :3
Fuck lmao being on a screen all day and staying up too stronk. Thanks. Editing the checks and counters as we speak before I put it up for GP.

EDIT: I think it's all good now.

Last edited:
Before this goes to GP, can I still ask why the 4th move order is GK/MP/HP Ice? I'd personally put it HP Ice/GK/MP.

Before this goes to GP, can I still ask why the 4th move order is GK/MP/HP Ice? I'd personally put it HP Ice/GK/MP.
Hidden Power Ice is incredibly lackluster as it only OHKO's D-Nite after SR in comparison into what you can't already easily 2HKO on switch-in. The ability to beat Hippowdon stall single handedly/handle Quagsire is extremely good, or the ability to pick off many Pokemon such as Bisharp and other Pokemon I keep on telling because I'm so lazy. I would rather have one of those WAY OVER Hidden Power Ice with Fire Blast. It's only good with Flare Blitz imo

Here's an amcheck.

Additions
Removals

Overview
########
Infernape, the well known firFire-type starter of DPP, is here to swing into X and Y OU, utilizing it's mixed attacking prowess and great coverage to break through defensive teams!. Unfortunately, other Pokemon came betweenhave come since DPP and now that give Infernape some competition,: Talonflame and his priority Brave Bird's combined with Flare Blitz as Talonflame's STAB gives Infernape some competition as a fast fiery Pokemon, and Terrakion is a lot stronger on the physical side. Infernape's biggest competition is Keldeo, however, thanks to Keldeo's power as well as being able to hit specially defensive walls with Secret Sword. Furthermore, many prevalent Pokemon such as Deoxys-S, Azumarill, and Talonflame give Infernape plenty of problems and c. Combine that with relatively weak attack stats of 104 as well as being reallythe fact that its base 104 offenses are weak by OU standards and its frailty, and you have a Pokemon that has trouble fitting in to the meta. Howevergame. Despite its limitations, Infernape has the advantage of being able to go physical AND special, thanks tois a great mixed attacker, thanks to its mixed dual STABs in Fire Blast and Close Combat, and the fact that Infernape has a very good special fire STAB in the form of Fire Blast and a goodfew other Pokemon can decide whether they want their main STAB to be physical fighting STAB via Close Combat along with great coverage. Withor special, and see almost equal results from both. Given this, the amount ofew walls that can safely switch in are extremely limitedto Infernape, allowing Infernapeit to kick defensive teams in the rear and become a win condition that will climbarry you to victory, as few can switch into this behemoth!
########
MixApe
!

Mixed Attacker

########
Name: MixApe
M
name: Mixed Attacker
m
ove 1: Fire Blast / Flare Blitz
Mmove 2: Close Combat
Mmove 3: Thunder Punch
Mmove 4: Grass Knot / Mach Punch / Hidden Power Ice
Aability: Iron Fist
Iitem: Life Orb
EV'evs: 168 Atk / 88 SpA / 252 Speed

Moves
========

Close Combat is mandatory, as it is Infernape's strongest fighting STAB and allows youit to hit even Pokemon neutral Pokemonto Fighting for some solid damage, and with these EV's,. The given EV spread allows it to always OHKO Heatran and 2HKO Rotom-W withafter Stealth Rock. Fire Blast is preferred as the Fire-type STAB forto deal good damage ton physically defensive Pokemon such as Landorus-T and Gliscor. Flare Blitz hits harder in general, but leaves youInfernape walled by the aforementioned threats without HPif it does not carry Hidden Power Ice and also leaves youit susceptible to King's Shield from Aegislash, allowing him towhich can take a hit and removforce Infernape for the rest of the match unless you switchto switch out. Thunder Punch is an amazing move on Infernape and should always be taken. With Iron Fist+Thunder Punch,, hitting many seemingly good switch ins, such as Gyarados,-ins, OHKOing Gyarados and Talonflame, and 2HKOing Azumarill, etc. to get wrecked by a Thunder Punch as they send it in. It's also as strong as a N. While it is weaker than a neutral Close Combat, making it the best move against fighting neutral Pokemon such asit allows Infernape to avoid a Defense and Special Defense drop against Mandibuzz and Keldeo, allowing you to avoid a defense and special defense drop. For the last slot,. For the last slot, Grass Knot is a solid option since it allows Infernape to hit two checks, Quagsire and Hippowdon, OHKOing the former and 2HKOing physically defensive variants of the latter. Mach Punch is very useful tofor revenge killing threats likesuch as +1 Mega Gyarados, +1 Mega Tyranitar, Greninja, and Bisharp, while preventingand circumvents having to win a speed tie with Terrakion & other 108s. Grass Knot is a great option as well since it allows you to hit two usually amazing checks, Quagsire and Hippowdon, hard. OHKOing the former and 2hkoing physically defensive variants of the latter.

other base 108s. If you do decide to go with the aforementionedchoose Flare Blitz, Hidden Power Ice can be used asin the final move with Flare Blitz for hittingslot to hit Landorus-T, Garchomp, Dragonite and Gliscor the hardest, guaranteeing an OHKO after Stealth Rock.

Set Details
========
If you go with Flare Blitz, 252 attack EV's is a good idea if you go with Flare Blitz, asThe listed EVs allow Infernape to 2HKO Gliscor and Landorus-T with Fire Blast, allowing it to to run Mach Punch instead of having to use Hidden Power Ice and Grass Knot are meant for 4x weak targets barring Hippowdon and the Sp.A are needless. With this,. Maximum Speed is mandatory to Speed tie other base 108s and outspeed Garchomp. If you go with Flare Blitz guarantees 2HKO on Mega-Venusaur after SR, while Fire Blast doesn't. Also guarantee's a 2HKO on Sylveon, which, again, Fire Blast would fail to do., an alternative spread of 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe is advisable, as Grass Knot and Hidden Power Ice guarantees OHKO on Gliscor, Lando-I and Dragonite after SR. Even if you decide not to go with Hidden Power Ice, 88 SpA EVs also allows Infernape to 2HKO Gliscor and Lando-T with Fire Blast, allowing space for Thunder Punch or Mach Punch, making Infernape harder to wall and giving it more utility. Finally, Max speed is mandatory to tie with other 108s like Keldeo and outspeeding stuff like Garchomp.
are usually used against targets 4x weak to them anyways. With this investment, Flare Blitz guarantees a 2HKO on Sylveon and Mega Venusaur after Stealth Rock, which Fire Blast on the standard set cannot do.

Usage Tips
========
Infernape is to be used as a mixed supporting attacker rather than a sweeper, so you shoulddon't despair atif Infernape fainting as it's, as it is paving the way for your other sweepers. It's strong STABSs allow Infernape to break through many walls that are common in stall, such aswalls, including Chansey, Heatran, and Skarmory, etc.. combined with nice coverage and speed tier allows Infernape to threaten and KO majority of. With its ability to KO many Pokemon on the switch-in, Infernape will be able to pave through just fine!. However, when using Infernape you need to make sure that you recoil makes it easily, be aware that it is worn down through Life Orb as well aseasily by entry hazards and occasionally sand, especially if you went with, Life Orb and Flare Blitz recoil, and sand.

Team Options
========
In terms of team synergy, Infernape has a lotInfernape syngergizes with a wide variety of Pokemon. Rotom-W is a great pick all around, as it resists 3 ofall-around pick, covering Infernape's weaknesses to Ground, Water, and Flying, and switches into Talonflame, Azumarill and Mega- Pinsir, who threaten Infernape with SE priority, as well as havingtheir super effective priority. Its Volt Switch allowingso allows Infernape to get into a battle making sure it doesn't get hit, seeing as how Infernape is frail and will be taking a lot of residual damage as it isswitch in without taking a hit. Substitute Kyurem-B with Fusion Bolt as well asnd Thundurus-I are also good options, dealing with bulky waterWater-types that Infernape might struggle with, such as Slowbro. Bisharp is an amazing choice for a team member, as it scares and kills Lati@killing Latias and Latios with either Sucker Punch or Pursuit, as well as gaining +2 if Lati@s uses Defog as Bisharp is sent out. Hazards Deoxys-S/Deoxys-DAttack if it switches into Defog. Lead Deoxys-D and Deoxys-S work well with Infernape, because, like other mixed attackers, Infernape operates best with stacked hazards because it forces a ton of switches, and those that come on thcan abuse hazards with its tendency to force switch-in will be forced to take hazards damage, further weakening peoplechecks that try to switch in on Infernape. Late-game sweepers like Mega- Pinsir, Mega-Z Charizard X, Talonflame, and Dragon Dance Dragonite, who appreciate Infernape wearing down their checks. If your Mega Sslot has not been used, offensive Mega Venusaur is also a good option, countering checks to Infernape such as Azumarill, Keldeo, and Thundurus-I. While breaking through, and breaks Clefable and Sylveon, both whoof which can set up on Infernape otherwise. Finally, Latios and Latias will likappreciate Infernape's ability to beat Chansey, Heatran, Skarmory, and even Hippowdon if running Grass Knot. Will also appreciate being able, and to check Scizor and Bisharp with Fire Blast and Mach Punch, respectively.

Other Options
#######

Infernape can run a Choice Band if you have a Drought Pokemon in your team, (aki.e. Mega Charizard Y) as it's able to hit EXTREMELY HARD with Flare Blitz while being speedy and have +1llowing it to hit hard while still outrunning most Pokemon with its 108 base Speed, and has STAB Close Combats given out to KO anything that can tank out +2 Fire moves. This set is very life-risking tswitching into a predicted Flare Blitz. Thanks to the amount of recoil you, however, Infernape will be dealing to yourself, however, and in every scenario but CBa massive amount of damage to itself, and outside of sun, Choice Band Infernape without sun wodoesn't gain enough of a power spike to affordcompensate being unable to switch moves, which allowing it to get walled fairly easilys it to be stopped by most physical walls.

Checks & Counters
########

**Pokemon that rFaster Fighting-type Resist Mach Punch and are faster/kill you with SE Priority**: Due to Infernape's sheer frailty, anything that's faster than it will probably kill it, especially with super effective priority. If Infernape cannot kill youget the KO with Mach Punch then you got to switch or you're screwedagainst, it will be forced to switch.

**Mixed Walls that are not weak to your STAB's**: Pokemon that has a typing or a really good stat for one hit so by investing in the reverse, preventing you from being able to kill it and**: Due to its lack of full investment in either attacking stat, Infernape fails to 2HKO most bulky mixed walls not weak to its STABs, allowing the wall to do whatever itm to switch in and do as they pleases.

**Bulky Waters that resist/are immune to-types Resisting Fighting**: While they are allmost can be dealt with byvia Thunder Punch, they still all pose a threat to Infernape, since if you go foras, if they switch in on either of yourInfernape's STAB's as, they switch out, they will take it, and finish youcan easily finish it off.

Copy/paste:

Overview########Infernape, the well known Fire-type starter of DPP, is here to swing into XY OU, utilizing it's mixed attacking prowess and great coverage to break through defensive teams. Unfortunately, other Pokemon have come since DPP that give Infernape some competition: Talonflame and his priority Brave Bird's combined with Flare Blitz as Talonflame's STAB gives Infernape some competition as a fast fiery Pokemon, and Terrakion is a lot stronger on the physical side. Infernape's biggest competition is Keldeo, however, thanks to Keldeo's power as well as being able to hit specially defensive walls with Secret Sword. Furthermore, many prevalent Pokemon such as Deoxys-S, Azumarill, and Talonflame give Infernape plenty of problems. Combine that with the fact that its base 104 offenses are weak by OU standards and its frailty, and you have a Pokemon that has trouble fitting into the metagame. Despite its limitations, Infernape is a great mixed attacker, thanks to its mixed dual STABs inFire Blast and Close Combat, and the fact that few other Pokemon can decide whether they want their main STAB to be physical or special, and see almost equal results from both. Given this, few walls can safely switch into Infernape, allowing it to kick defensive teams in the rear and become a win condition that will carry you to victory!

Mixed Attacker
########

Moves
========

Close Combat is mandatory as it is Infernape's strongest fighting STAB and allows it to hit even Pokemon neutral to Fighting for solid damage. The given EV spread allows it toalways OHKO Heatran and 2HKO Rotom-W after Stealth Rock. Fire Blast is preferred as the Fire-type STAB to deal good damage to physically defensive Pokemon such as Landorus-T and Gliscor. Flare Blitz hits harder in general, but leaves Infernape walled by the aforementioned threats if it does not carry Hidden Power Ice and also leaves it susceptible to King's Shield from Aegislash, which can take a hit and force Infernape to switch out. Thunder Punch is an amazing move on Infernape and should always be taken, hitting many seemingly good switch-ins, OHKOing Gyarados and Talonflame and 2HKOing Azumarill.While it is weaker than a neutral Close Combat, it allows Infernape to avoid a Defense and Special Defense drop against Mandibuzz and Keldeo. For the last slot, Grass Knot is a solid option since it allows Infernape to hit two checks, Quagsire and Hippowdon, OHKOing the former and 2HKOing physically defensive variants of the latter. Mach Punch is useful for revenge killing threats such as +1 Mega Gyarados, +1 Mega Tyranitar, Greninja, and Bisharp, and circumvents having to win a speed tie with Terrakion and other base 108s. If you decide to choose Flare Blitz, Hidden Power Ice can be used in the final moveslottohit Landorus-T, Garchomp, Dragonite and Gliscor, guaranteeing an OHKO after Stealth Rock.

Set Details
========
The listed EVs allow Infernape to 2HKO Gliscor and Landorus-T with Fire Blast, allowing it to to run Mach Punch instead of having to use Hidden Power Ice. Maximum Speed is mandatory to Speed tie other base 108s and outspeed Garchomp. If you go with Flare Blitz, an alternative spread of 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe is advisable, as Grass Knot and Hidden Power Ice are usually used againsttargets 4x weak to them anyways. With this investment, Flare Blitz guarantees a 2HKO on Sylveon and Mega Venusaur after Stealth Rock, which Fire Blast on the standard set cannot do.

Usage Tips
========
Infernape is a mixed supporting attacker rather than a sweeper, so don't despair if Infernape faints, as it is paving the way for your other sweepers. Its strong STABs allow Infernape to break through many common walls, including Chansey, Heatran, and Skarmory. With its ability to KO many Pokemon on the switch-in, Infernape will be able to pave through just fine. However, when using Infernape, be aware that it is worn down easily by entry hazards, Life Orb and Flare Blitz recoil, and sand.

Team Options
========
Infernape syngergizes with a wide variety of Pokemon. Rotom-W is a great all-around pick, covering Infernape's weaknesses to Ground, Water, and Flying, and switches into Talonflame, Azumarill and Mega Pinsir, who threaten Infernape with their super effective priority. Its Volt Switch also allowsInfernape to switch in without taking a hit. Substitute Kyurem-B with Fusion Bolt and Thundurus are also good options, dealing with bulky Water-types that Infernape might struggle with, such as Slowbro. Bisharp is an amazing choice for a team member, killing Latias and Latios with either Sucker Punch or Pursuit, as well as gaining +2 Attack if it switches into Defog. Lead Deoxys-D and Deoxys-S work well with Infernape because, like other mixed attackers, Infernape can abuse hazards with its tendency to force switches, weakening checks that try to switch in. Late-game sweepers like Mega Pinsir, Mega Charizard X, Talonflame, and Dragon Dance Dragonite appreciate Infernape wearing down their checks. If your Mega slot has not been used, offensive Mega Venusaur is also a good option, countering checks to Infernape such as Azumarill, Keldeo, and Thundurus, and breaks Clefable and Sylveon, both of which can set up on Infernape. Finally, Latios and Latias appreciate Infernape's ability to beat Chansey, Heatran, Skarmory, Hippowdon if running Grass Knot, and to check Scizor and Bisharp with Fire Blast and Mach Punch, respectively.

Other Options
#######

Infernape can run a Choice Band if you have a Drought Pokemon in your team, (i.e.Mega Charizard Y) allowing it to hit hard while still outrunning most Pokemon with its 108 base Speed, and has STAB Close Combat to KO anything switching into a predicted Flare Blitz. Thanks to recoil, however, Infernape will be dealing a massive amount of damage to itself, and outside of sun, Choice Band Infernape doesn't gain enough of a power spike to compensate being unable to switch moves, which allows it to be stopped by most physical walls.

Checks & Counters
########

**Faster Fighting-type Resists**: Due to Infernape's sheer frailty, anything faster will probably kill it, especially with super effective priority. If Infernape cannot get the KO with Mach Punch against, it will be forced to switch.

**Mixed Walls**: Due to its lack of full investment in either attacking stat, Infernape fails to 2HKO most bulky mixed walls not weak to its STABs, allowing them to switch in and do as they please.

**Bulky Water-types Resisting Fighting**: While most can be dealt with via Thunder Punch, they pose a threat as, if they switch in on either of Infernape's STABs, they can easily finish it off.

Thanks for catching the after Stealth Rock thing. However, besides that, I will just wait it out for an actual GP check to arrive before changing a whole lot.

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
AM check, implemented FieldArmada's check in the process.
Add
Remove
(Comments)

Overview
########
Infernape, the well known Fire-type starter of DPP, is here to swing into XY OU, utilizing it's its mixed attacking prowess and great coverage to break through defensive teams. Unfortunately, other Pokemon have come since DPP that give Infernape some competition: Talonflame and his its priority Brave Bird's combined with Flare Blitz as Talonflame's STAB gives Infernape some competition as a fast fiery Pokemon Fire-type, and Terrakion is a lot stronger on the physical side. Infernape's biggest competition is Keldeo, however, thanks to Keldeo's power as well as being able to hit specially defensive walls with Secret Sword. Furthermore, many prevalent Pokemon such as Deoxys-S, Azumarill, and Talonflame give Infernape plenty of problems. Combine that with its frailty and the fact that its base 104 offenses are weak by OU standards and its frailty, and you have a Pokemon that has trouble fitting into the metagame. Despite its limitations, Infernape is a great mixed attacker, thanks to its mixed dual STAB attacks in Fire Blast and Close Combat, and the fact that few other Pokemon can run a main STAB move on both sides of the spectrum decide whether they want their main STAB to be physical or special, (RC) and see get almost equal results from both. Given this, few walls can safely switch into Infernape, allowing it to kick break down defensive teams in the rear (I love the expression and the enthusiasm, but it doesn't really "kick them in the rear," it can break them down, though) and become a win condition that will carry you to victory!

Mixed Attacker
########

Moves
========

Close Combat is mandatory as it is Infernape's strongest fFighting-type STAB move and does solid damage to most Pokemon that don't resist it allows it to hit even Pokemon neutral to Fighting for solid damage. The given EV spread allows it to (space)always OHKO Heatran and 2HKO Rotom-W after Stealth Rock. Fire Blast is preferred as the Fire-type STAB to deal good damage to physically defensive Pokemon such as Landorus-T and Gliscor. Flare Blitz hits harder in general, but leaves Infernape walled by the aforementioned threats if it does not carry Hidden Power Ice and also leaves it susceptible to King's Shield from Aegislash, which can take a hit and force Infernape to switch out. Thunder Punch is an amazing move on Infernape and should always be taken, hitting many seemingly good switch-ins super effectively, OHKOing Gyarados and Talonflame and 2HKOing Azumarill. (space)While it is weaker than a neutral Close Combat, it allows Infernape to avoid lowering its defenses a Defense and Special Defense drop against Mandibuzz and Keldeo. For the last slot, Grass Knot is a solid option since it allows Infernape to hit two checks, Quagsire and Hippowdon, OHKOing the former and 2HKOing physically defensive variants of the latter. Mach Punch is useful for revenge killing threats such as +1 Mega Gyarados, +1 Mega Tyranitar, Greninja, and Bisharp, and circumvents (this verb may be confusing to some readers, change it to something like "prevents") having to win a speed tie with Terrakion and other base 108s. If you decide to choose Flare Blitz, Hidden Power Ice can be used in the final moveslot (space)to (space)hit Landorus-T, Garchomp, Dragonite and Gliscor, guaranteeing an OHKO after Stealth Rock.

Set Details
========
The listed EVs allow Infernape to 2HKO Gliscor and Landorus-T with Fire Blast, allowing it to to run Mach Punch instead of having to use Hidden Power Ice. Maximum Speed is mandatory to Speed tie other base 108s and outspeed Garchomp. If you go with Flare Blitz, an alternative spread of 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe is advisable, as Grass Knot and Hidden Power Ice are usually used against (space)targets that are 4x weak to them, (AC) anyways. With this investment, Flare Blitz guarantees a 2HKO on Sylveon and Mega Venusaur after Stealth Rock, which Fire Blast on the standard set cannot do.

Usage Tips
========
Infernape is a mixed supporting attacker rather than a sweeper, so don't despair if Infernape faints, as it is paving the way for your other sweepers. Its strong STAB moves allow Infernape to break through many common walls, including Chansey, Heatran, and Skarmory. With its ability to KO many Pokemon on the switch-in, Infernape will be able to pave through just fine. (redundant) However, when using Infernape, be aware that it is worn down easily by entry hazards, Life Orb and Flare Blitz recoil, and sand.

Team Options
========
Infernape syngergizes with a wide variety of Pokemon. Rotom-W is a great all-around pick, covering Infernape's weaknesses to Ground, Water, and Flying, and switches into Talonflame, Azumarill and Mega Pinsir, who threaten Infernape with their super effective priority. Its Volt Switch also allows (space)Infernape to switch in without taking a hit. Thundurus and Substitute Kyurem-B with Fusion Bolt and Thundurus are also good options, dealing with bulky Water-types that Infernape might struggle with, such as Slowbro. Bisharp is an amazing choice for a team member, killing knocking out (hey hey remember this is a children's game, NO KILLING) Latias and Latios with either Sucker Punch or Pursuit, as well as while gaining +2 Attack if it switches into Defog. Lead Deoxys-D and Deoxys-S work well with Infernape because, like other mixed attackers, Infernape can abuse hazards with its tendency to force switches, weakening checks that try to switch in. Late-game sweepers like Mega Pinsir, Mega Charizard X, Talonflame, and Dragon Dance Dragonite appreciate Infernape wearing down their checks. If your Mega slot has not been used, offensive Mega Venusaur is also a good option, countering checks to Infernape such as Azumarill, Keldeo, and Thundurus, and breaks Clefable and Sylveon, both of which can set up on Infernape. Finally, Latios and Latias appreciate Infernape's ability to beat Chansey, Heatran, Skarmory, Hippowdon if running Grass Knot, and to check Scizor and Bisharp with Fire Blast and Mach Punch, respectively.

Other Options
#######

Infernape can run a Choice Band if you have Mega Charizard Y on a Drought Pokemon in your team, (i.e.Mega Charizard Y) allowing it to hit hard while still outrunning most Pokemon with its 108 base Speed, and has STAB Close Combat to KO anything switching into a predicted Flare Blitz. Thanks to recoil, however, However, (AC) because of recoil, (AC) Infernape will be dealing a massive amount of damage to itself, and outside of sun, Choice Band Infernape doesn't gain enough of a power spike to compensate being unable to switch moves, which allows it to be stopped by most physical walls.

Checks & Counters
########

**Faster Fighting-type Resists**: Due to Infernape's sheer frailty, anything faster will probably kill it, especially with super effective priority. If Infernape cannot get the KO with Mach Punch against, it will be forced to switch.

**Mixed Walls**: Due to its lack of full investment in either attacking stat, Infernape fails to 2HKO most bulky mixed walls not weak to its STABs, allowing them to switch in and do as they please.

**Bulky Water-types That Resisting Fighting-type Moves**: While most can be dealt with via Thunder Punch, they pose a threat, (AC) as, (RC) if they switch in on either of Infernape's STABs, they can easily finish it off.

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
Thanks for catching the after Stealth Rock thing. However, besides that, I will just wait it out for an actual GP check to arrive before changing a whole lot.
I don't know how to tag members, so I just randomly quoted one of posts, don't pay attention to the quote.

Quickbobhero it seems that you updated the OP either during or just after my am check. If you would like, I can do another AM check for the updated thread.

I don't know how to tag members, so I just randomly quoted one of posts, don't pay attention to the quote.

Quickbobhero it seems that you updated the OP either during or just after my am check. If you would like, I can do another AM check for the updated thread.
I literally just woke up. I'm fine lol.

I said I wouldn't use fieldarmada's so I don't get why you would use that version for your editing lmao.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)