General Introduce yourself!

Hi everyone!
I'm Safa and I attend a university in the United States. :)
I've been playing pokemon since I was really little, but have started getting into competitive pokemon with Showdown and XY (now ORAS!) and have been trying to get into breeding/training and all of that. This is my first time posting though I've been reading Smogon's stuff forever :P
I tend to lurk a lot and not post anything, but hopefully I can feel comfortable enough here to be an active part of the community ^__^

Hey everyone! My name's Joey but it's probably easier if you just call me Catch. A little about me, I'm 17 and I've been playing Pokemon since Gen 3 but I've been a fan of Pokemon since the Johto anime episodes/movies. I've been doing stuff with Pokemon for years, I used to be pretty active on Bulbapedia and I got into competitive battling almost exactly a year ago. Outside of Pokemon, I'm an avid player of retro video games (and some modern ones, but mostly just Pokemon and Smash Bros when it comes to newer games), and I'm a fan of wide pool of different types of music.

Anyway, this is my first post on the forums, and I only joined a few days ago and haven't been online since due to Thanksgiving travels, so this post and it's replies are gonna be my first experiences with it. I don't really know where to go exactly so maybe some people can point me in a direction I'll enjoy. Thanks for reading!
Hey Catch! Sounds like you've got an extensive Pokemon background. Enjoy your start here!

Hello! I'm Harry, I'm 18. I'm a new user. I've been browsing the site for a while but finally decided to sign up as I am very interested in the metagame. Favourite gen is gen3, and I'm loving OR/AS. I love experimenting on Showdown (username CptnHedgey), and battling players on Battle Spot. Favourite Pokemon is Flygon, favourite type is Dragon. I mostly play OU, however I'm having lots of fun with AG lately :-)

If you want to battle me on Showdown or in-game (XY, OR/AS), give me a shout!
Hi Harry! Gen 3 is my favorite too. I'm liking AG a lot as well, though most people are treating it as a joke. Hope you have a good time here on Smogon!

Hi people I'm Will 22yrs. From The little island of Puerto Rico. I have been playing pokemon pretty much since R/B but started dwelling into the competitive community only just recently, I have been active I'd say since B/W but I would say I never had a full grasp or understanding of the game until X/Y. I mostly have played OU and Monotype metas but with the arrival or ORAS starts the age of a new meta. I love pokemon and I really want to get more involved in the community as I would really like to get better at the game and possibly be able to participate in top grade tournaments in the future. [:
Hi Will! We actually have a new mentorship help page if you need specific help getting involved in the community: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/new-user-and-need-help-look-here.3523418/

This should be useful to you if you have any specific questions. Have fun.

Hi ho! ~

Just registered today, but I've been a long (loooooong) time lurker of the website and forums.

I only plucked up the courage to register just there, but I've lurked on Smogon since Gen IV. I've been playing the games since Gen 4, with Diamond being my first. I first got into competitive battling a couple of years ago, but I'm not very good at all! I hope I'll approve I guess!

I tend to join sites/forums for a while and then kind of get scared and stop visiting, so I hope I can find a niché here soon!

I'm 18, from Ireland and I'm in my last year of secondary school, applying for Law in University :3

Nice to meet you all! ~
Hey! I'm sure you'll improve considerably if you stick around here for a while. Just being in the community tends to cause that. Nice to meet you, too.

Hi everyone!
I'm Safa and I attend a university in the United States. :)
I've been playing pokemon since I was really little, but have started getting into competitive pokemon with Showdown and XY (now ORAS!) and have been trying to get into breeding/training and all of that. This is my first time posting though I've been reading Smogon's stuff forever :P
I tend to lurk a lot and not post anything, but hopefully I can feel comfortable enough here to be an active part of the community ^__^
Hi Safa! Sounds like we got introduced in a pretty similar manner. I think you'll find people here very accommodating, so there won't be anything to worry about regarding posting. You should be able to start contributing right away without any trouble :)

Hello!
My name is John and I have been lurking Smogon for quite some time now and decided to open myself up here.
I am 15 and play Pokemon in most of my free time. I discovered Smogon when my friend introduced me to shofu's YouTube channel last year and then I stumbled upon the XY OU Viability Ranking Thread when I was attempting to make a team
I have played Pokemon since the original Sapphire came out and have been playing it since and I love AS.
I am quite into competitive battling and almost always reading the posts on the Viability Rankings in an attempt to learn about the metagame, but I can never seem to pass my peak of 1680 on Showdown. I want to get better and am hoping that if there are any OU mentors willing to help me improve my battling and teambuilding skills. Thx for taking the time out of your day to read this post :]

Last edited:
Hi guys and gals my name isn't devilfox but you can call me that if you like I am 17 I have been playing showdown for the past two years I normally play ou in gen 6 sometimes 5 I recently made a smogon account so I don't really know what most of the things mean on the forums and I don't know how to change my profile picture for my account so if you are kind enough to help me I will be grateful

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hello!
My name is John and I have been lurking Smogon for quite some time now and decided to open myself up here.
I am 15 and play Pokemon in most of my free time. I discovered Smogon when my friend introduced me to shofu's YouTube channel last year and then I stumbled upon the XY OU Viability Ranking Thread when I was attempting to make a team
I have played Pokemon since the original Sapphire came out and have been playing it since and I love AS.
I am quite into competitive battling and almost always reading the posts on the Viability Rankings in an attempt to learn about the metagame, but I can never seem to pass my peak of 1680 on Showdown. I want to get better and am hoping that if there are any OU mentors willing to help me improve my battling and teambuilding skills. Thx for taking the time out of your day to read this post :]
Nice to hear! You can find an OU mentor by looking through the Mentor Profiles and contacting one of them. Good luck and welcome to Smogon!
Hi guys and gals my name isn't devilfox but you can call me that if you like I am 17 I have been playing showdown for the past two years I normally play ou in gen 6 sometimes 5 I recently made a smogon account so I don't really know what most of the things mean on the forums and I don't know how to change my profile picture for my account so if you are kind enough to help me I will be grateful
You should go here to change your profile picture. If you're confused about how the forums work, check out the Smogon Primer! Welcome to Smogon!

Hi guys! My name is Brendan, and I'm a brand new member to the community. I have been looking into competitive battling for a while now, and I figured the best way to learn was to get involved. I am really good at building my pokemon, but I'm terrible when it comes to team building. I always end up building a team full of sweepers. I've also been getting into Showdown, which is really good in my opinion. The first game I ever completed was Pokemon Fire Red, which is still my favorite game of all time. I'm really excited to make contributions and be a part of the community!

Also, where can I go for corrections? The thing that prompted me to make an account was looking at Togekiss and seeing a minor mistake.

Minus

Hi guys! My name is Brendan, and I'm a brand new member to the community. I have been looking into competitive battling for a while now, and I figured the best way to learn was to get involved. I am really good at building my pokemon, but I'm terrible when it comes to team building. I always end up building a team full of sweepers. I've also been getting into Showdown, which is really good in my opinion. The first game I ever completed was Pokemon Fire Red, which is still my favorite game of all time. I'm really excited to make contributions and be a part of the community!
Practice makes perfect, right? You just gotta keep building. Try lurking around the subforum of the tier you play for some ideas! Fire Red was a great game also :]
Also, where can I go for corrections? The thing that prompted me to make an account was looking at Togekiss and seeing a minor mistake.
Ah, that depends. Is your edit objective (Togekiss's Speed stat is wrong, it should be something else; Togekiss can't learn Judgement, but the Smogdex says it can), subjective (Togekiss shouldn't run Rage Powder in a singles Metagame like OU, but the analysis says it should; Togekiss prefers Arceus as a Teammate more than Magikarp like the analysis says), or grammar-based (a typo; comma splice)?

It's Togekiss' abilities. It has all the right abilities, but the hidden ability is supposed to be Super Luck, not Serene Grace. I haven't looked in game, but I've checked multiple websites. I guess objective.

Minus

It's Togekiss' abilities. It has all the right abilities, but the hidden ability is supposed to be Super Luck, not Serene Grace. I haven't looked in game, but I've checked multiple websites. I guess objective.
Looks like you're right. You should post here. (I mean, I guess I could just do it... lol)

Hi :D!, my names Dylan, I'm 17 and a long time lurker :P
I've been playing pokemon since Blue version and started playing competitively since gen 5 :)
I play on showdown a lot and I've been playing more and more of OU lately so I've decided that i should finally join the community and hopefully make some new friends along the way :)
I made this account 2 years ago, then completely forgot about it , so instead of making a brand new account i just decided to recover this one :P
My goal is to become more invested in the smogon community instead of just lurking and hopefully this time wont forget about my account existing xP

Minus

Hi :D!, my names Dylan, I'm 17 and a long time lurker :P
I've been playing pokemon since Blue version and started playing competitively since gen 5 :)
I play on showdown a lot and I've been playing more and more of OU lately so I've decided that i should finally join the community and hopefully make some new friends along the way :)
I made this account 2 years ago, then completely forgot about it , so instead of making a brand new account i just decided to recover this one :P
My goal is to become more invested in the smogon community instead of just lurking and hopefully this time wont forget about my account existing xP
Hey there Dylan! That's a nice goal to have, good luck and welcome to Smogon!

So I went to the mentor page that was linked to me and then discovered the Battling 101 program, so now I have a few questions.
1. (I may assume not, but...) Are tutors and mentors the same thing? (I may sound pretty dumb because I noticed that some of the people on the mentor page do not have a Tutor badge)
2. If they are different, what is the best way to let them know that I would like to be tutored? i.e. PMs
3. Is it better to contact the non-tutors because they are probably helping other people that are part of the Battling 101 program?

Minus

So I went to the mentor page that was linked to me and then discovered the Battling 101 program, so now I have a few questions.
1. (I may assume not, but...) Are tutors and mentors the same thing? (I may sound pretty dumb because I noticed that some of the people on the mentor page do not have a Tutor badge)
2. If they are different, what is the best way to let them know that I would like to be tutored? i.e. PMs
3. Is it better to contact the non-tutors because they are probably helping other people that are part of the Battling 101 program?
1) A couple of things. Not all tutors have the Tutor badge, but they are all listed here. Mentors are more about integrating you into the forums (more like friends), while Tutors are strictly for teaching metagames (like teachers).
2) You can contact a Mentor for help in a metagame through PM or however you see fit, but Tutors are more suited for that job. You need to apply for a Tutor at the beginning of every month in the Battling 101 subforum. Keep in mind, Battling 101 is closed until January.
3) That's your call really. Tutors are assigned only one Tutee at the beginning of each month and will only focus on them, so you shouldn't ask them for help. But, you can talk to Mentors about general questions like that!

Hope I made sense 9.9

Hello Smogon, my name is Don and I go by the name KingDon9162 on YouTube. I have really found this sight a wealth of information and just plain fun! I have been playing Pokemon for some time and am a great fan of the series. Like Hulk Hogan I over 50 and still learning the competitive side of this game, which shows the universal appeal of this franchise. Hoping to learn much from you guys and maybe contribute in some small way.

Hi I'm Ayano and I'm a scarf :^3
I mostly hang out in Anime and Manga (and Cafe le Strawberry) teaching people how the best Chinese cartoon is Master of Martial Hearts
Hope we can all be tomodachis heheh
⦅❛◡❛ॣॣ⦆*.・。╟╢ᎯƤƤᎽ*.・。

Also resident RNG hater
and chronic bleach drinker

Last edited:
I guess I'll write one of these then.
Hi, I'm Kyoran, and I've been playing since Gen 3. I'm 15 (16 in two months) and I go to a school full of competitive Pokemon players, so I never really got competitive until X and Y. I did a lot of OU, then decided that my primary focus would be VGC Doubles due to its relative balance in comparison to VGC Singles. Smogon Singles is still my preferred singles playstyle as a result.

Things about me that you probably don't care about but I feel like putting down:
1. I've been on forums before. That being said, the former community that I spent a year and a half on wasnt that great in the end, so here I am now.
2. My top three favorite Pokemon are Shroomish, Spoink, and Shaymin.
3. Anime is awesome. I got into it nearly a year ago. Now I have to restrain myself from watching it because if I start a new series during school my grades drop by about five points. Death Note, Soul Eater, and DanganRonpa were all pretty good.
4. Like I said earlier, I like VGC Doubles. If you ever see a Uxie in a Doubles match, that's me. Oh Uxie, if only you had better typing you'd be Ultra-Godly instead of just Godly.
5. Did I mention that my posts seem professional sometimes? It was a rare thing in the last forum that I was in. I don't know if it is here, but just so everyone knows, I'm not always trying to be uptight like some people think sometimes :P
(Wow I actually used an emoticon. Why.)
That's all really.

Hi, I'm Mega NO Body :D I'm 18 just became a member yesterday. I've been playing pokemon since gen3 I love squirtle my then starter and have been faithful to it. I've recently been checking the threads here and wanted to make my own or reply to others.I probably won't be posting too much, just 3 or 4 posts a week 'cause of college. I'm kind of into competitive battling but hate using legendaries, well any way that's another topic. So anyway that's me. Hope I'll have fun here :)

QueBien

Nomad, vagabond, call me what you will
Hello Smogon, my name is Don and I go by the name KingDon9162 on YouTube. I have really found this sight a wealth of information and just plain fun! I have been playing Pokemon for some time and am a great fan of the series. Like Hulk Hogan I over 50 and still learning the competitive side of this game, which shows the universal appeal of this franchise. Hoping to learn much from you guys and maybe contribute in some small way.
Hi Kingdon!
Nice to meet you! It's pretty cool to see how wrong the people that say "Pokemon is for kids" are. :) Anyways, visit here for a mentor if you need any help.
Hi I'm Ayano and I'm a scarf :^3
I mostly hang out in Anime and Manga (and Cafe le Strawberry) teaching people how the best Chinese cartoon is Master of Martial Hearts
Hope we can all be tomodachis heheh
⦅❛◡❛ॣॣ⦆*.・。╟╢ᎯƤƤᎽ*.・。
Also resident RNG hater
and chronic bleach drinker
Welcome Ayano's Red Scarf!
I've never met a scarf before! :o Good to see you have found some rooms you like! If you have any questions, PM a mentor. Have a good time on Smogon!
I guess I'll write one of these then.
Hi, I'm Kyoran, and I've been playing since Gen 3. I'm 15 (16 in two months) and I go to a school full of competitive Pokemon players, so I never really got competitive until X and Y. I did a lot of OU, then decided that my primary focus would be VGC Doubles due to its relative balance in comparison to VGC Singles. Smogon Singles is still my preferred singles playstyle as a result.

Things about me that you probably don't care about but I feel like putting down:
1. I've been on forums before. That being said, the former community that I spent a year and a half on wasnt that great in the end, so here I am now.
2. My top three favorite Pokemon are Shroomish, Spoink, and Shaymin.
3. Anime is awesome. I got into it nearly a year ago. Now I have to restrain myself from watching it because if I start a new series during school my grades drop by about five points. Death Note, Soul Eater, and DanganRonpa were all pretty good.
4. Like I said earlier, I like VGC Doubles. If you ever see a Uxie in a Doubles match, that's me. Oh Uxie, if only you had better typing you'd be Ultra-Godly instead of just Godly.
5. Did I mention that my posts seem professional sometimes? It was a rare thing in the last forum that I was in. I don't know if it is here, but just so everyone knows, I'm not always trying to be uptight like some people think sometimes :P
(Wow I actually used an emoticon. Why.)
That's all really.
Hello Kyoran!
Another Spoink liker! :D That Pokemon is so underrated. Anyways, try finding some rooms you like in Showdown to get involved with the community! If you have any questions or would like help with battling, PM a mentor in the link I posted above. Have a great time here and I'll see you in Showdown!
Hi, I'm Mega NO Body :D I'm 18 just became a member yesterday. I've been playing pokemon since gen3 I love squirtle my then starter and have been faithful to it. I've recently been checking the threads here and wanted to make my own or reply to others.I probably won't be posting too much, just 3 or 4 posts a week 'cause of college. I'm kind of into competitive battling but hate using legendaries, well any way that's another topic. So anyway that's me. Hope I'll have fun here :)
Nice to meet you Mega NO Body!
Great that you decided to join Smogon! I think you'll enjoy the site. :) If you want some help getting around the site, PM a mentor with the link above. Have a great time here!

Whew, glad to get through my first mass reply! :P

Last edited:
hey guys i'm blukip. i'm 14 male and just joined a couple days ago. i've always been a fan of Pokemon, especially 3rd gen ruby, but not until recently have i started to play competitively. i'm still trying to learn and i would greatly appreciate it if some one could explain the whole 'predicting your opponent' thing to me. oh yea, i also play Xbox but not so much anymore 'cause i'm trying to get more into Pokemon and the competitive seen a lot since it is turning out to be much more fun to me than Call of Duty.

Hey guys, I'm totally new here when it comes to the world of competitive level pokemon. I wanted to learn more, but not 100% sure which direction I want to start. I'm a semi professional poker player and I'm a competitive Magic: The Gathering player. So I'm use to understanding the ever changing meta. Pretty much I'm just looking for someone to point me in the right direction until the new apprentice program starts in 2015. Currently repping Alpha Sapphire. Thanks for everyone's help ahead of time. Message me if you're wanting to help or just wanting to chat.

-All Praise Lord Helix-

QueBien

Nomad, vagabond, call me what you will
hey guys i'm blukip. i'm 14 male and just joined a couple days ago. i've always been a fan of Pokemon, especially 3rd gen ruby, but not until recently have i started to play competitively. i'm still trying to learn and i would greatly appreciate it if some one could explain the whole 'predicting your opponent' thing to me. oh yea, i also play Xbox but not so much anymore 'cause i'm trying to get more into Pokemon and the competitive seen a lot since it is turning out to be much more fun to me than Call of Duty.
Hi Blukip!
Welcome to Smogon! For help improving your competitive battling skills, go here for a mentor or visit the "Competitive Tutoring" room in Showdown. Have a great time on Smogon and in the simulator!
Hey guys, I'm totally new here when it comes to the world of competitive level pokemon. I wanted to learn more, but not 100% sure which direction I want to start. I'm a semi professional poker player and I'm a competitive Magic: The Gathering player. So I'm use to understanding the ever changing meta. Pretty much I'm just looking for someone to point me in the right direction until the new apprentice program starts in 2015. Currently repping Alpha Sapphire. Thanks for everyone's help ahead of time. Message me if you're wanting to help or just wanting to chat.

-All Praise Lord Helix-
Hello Jarvinator!
I would recommend PMing a mentor through the link above or visiting the "Competitive Tutoring" room to get help with improving your team-building and other competitive skills. Have fun! n_n

Hello there :D
Started playing Pokémon since RBY, but stopped at RSE. Missed out DPP and BW but got back to Pokémon at XY, and that's when I got hyped up about competitive battling. Was introduced to Smogon by a friend and have been stalking the forums for a few months before deciding to join the community.
Currently interested in TR teams and trying not to use OU mons (but still end up using a few) or mons I commonly see in Free Battles in order to have a less mainstream team (talk about being a hipster). Also heavily interested in breeding shinies (I guess I have the SNMS *_*).
#doesntknowthebasicsofcompetitivebattling

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)