Is there anything (not related to Pokemon) that you are one of the best in the world at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was one of the best math students in the country, all the way from 6th-12th grade I scored in the top 5 on the AMC 14 (American Math Competition, 14 is the highest level), winning it in 12th grade. I also won the MathCounts season in Fall '01, Spring '02, Summer '03, Fall '03, Winter '03, Fall '05, Spring '06, Summer '06, Winter '06, Winter '07, Spring '08, Summer '08, Fall '08, Winter '09, and Summer '10. I think that's a lot, but it is only a competition in NorCal.
I am on the committee that writes Stanford's MathCounts events (we host two every season), and am on our Chess, Math, and Science teams. Our chess team is bad, including me, but our math and science teams are among the best in the world (NO DUH--WE'RE STANFORD!). My freshman year we won math worldwide and took second in science (SCREW YOU HARVARD), and Sophomore I was the mvp in math, taking it for Stanford's third year in a row, although I didn't deserve it since my final answer was a guess between two options--my calculator said one thing but my brain said another, so I went with my brain.
Oh yeah, in High School we were in nationals all four years in the National Science Bowl, but only won Junior Year. I am also on the verge of a major scientific discovery, my friend and I are really close to building a working quantum microchip.
Ummm do you mean the AMC 12? Also how did you win Mathcounts 10 years in a row cuz its a middle school competition o_O? Also scoring top 5 on AMC 12 from 6th grade is kind of ridic unless you're Terrence Tao, and, wouldnt you say something about qualifying for usamo or imo if u wanted to show how good u were at math idk?_? idk i want to trust you cuz some details add up (i.e. being from norcal w/ mira loma and going to nsb) but i dont know anybody who has your credentials in math

also what math competition do they do in college cuz stanford hasnt placed top in putnam in forever and i personally dunno any competition besides putnam

(in other words im p good at being mediocre at math and getting mad at anyone who says they're above mediocre)

Ummm do you mean the AMC 12? Also how did you win Mathcounts 10 years in a row cuz its a middle school competition o_O? Also scoring top 5 on AMC 12 from 6th grade is kind of ridic unless you're Terrence Tao, and, wouldnt you say something about qualifying for usamo or imo if u wanted to show how good u were at math idk?_? idk i want to trust you cuz some details add up (i.e. being from norcal w/ mira loma and going to nsb) but i dont know anybody who has your credentials in math

also what math competition do they do in college cuz stanford hasnt placed top in putnam in forever and i personally dunno any competition besides putnam

(in other words im p good at being mediocre at math and getting mad at anyone who says they're above mediocre)
We resolved this by PM so we wouldn't clog up the thread, if anyone's curious, PM/VM me.

There are some impressive users here!

I was a nationally ranked swimmer at my peak, with my best event being the 200M Fly. I used to swim Butterfly on the same relay team as Scott Weltz, who represented the USA in Breaststroke at the 2012 Olympics.

I also used to have the world record for beating Sephiroth at the lowest level (Lv 37) in Kingdom Hearts 2, but that was broken and I didn't want to play through the whole game again at an even lower level just to reclaim my record. At that level, you die in one hit from any of his attacks anyways...

I mean, it's not anything best in the world, but in 6th grade, I had one of the highest on base percentage in the state. Mostly because I was hit by pitches 7 out of 10 times I was at the plate. I didn't cheat and I legitimately tried to avoid getting hit as the pitches had started to get painful after a while, but I was a lefty in a game with kids just learning to pitch to lefties. That year, I had exactly two hits but my on base percentage was highest in our league.

I never played baseball again because of it. (This also explains my more than rusty terminology...)

Edit: It should be mentioned that even with all the on base time, I was 7th in the rotation and scored only 4 runs the whole year, stole only 1 base. I was a dreadful player.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I was a good player at DotA 3.76 (yea, the DotA of RoC, before Allstars, the grand father of League Of Legends if you want). And by good I mean def top European player, and won the Cup between the servers.
Granted, the player base was so fucking short. It didn't mean that it was easy though.

I won a national math exam when I was little. I was like, top 10 I think. I won a shirt with a shitty kangooroo on it. I've been the star of the school for a week though.

I was pretty good at CSS back in the days, top 3 ESL, and won an European tour once ("The Duke" iirc). Got a pretty nice mouse , and sum money :>

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
Well, I was GONNA post about how proud I was of being in the top 1100 students in 8th grade in the USA (definitely smaller than 1%) from an SAT John Hopkins thing, but then I saw these other achievements and thought, "Man. I'm nothing compared to the people out there." I mean sure, I'm impressive, but compared to you guys, I'm nothing. Now I know why I lose all these battles.

I am decent at Carving/painting my own figurines, Also i am third best on my swim team ( soon to be better because were getting ALOT of new kids in soon, and sending out the older ones >:3 )

I think the style of competitive Pokemon naturally attracts people with incredibly good trivial memory and quick-thinking (me included) Pokemon requires memorization of a lot of random bits of info and being able to quickly compile that info and get a result. I for one remember the location of the majority of Pokemon in each game, most of the moves they can learn, their base stats and their dex numbers and I'm pretty sure if you asked around Smogon most long time competitive players would be able to accomplish similar feats. As for specific talents that amaze other people I have a this strange skill were I can read full novels and remember almost exactly where a certain word is if someone tells me to look for it. I also have great whistling skills. I can keep a continuous whistle thanks to being able to breathe both in and out and I can whistle most songs as long as they don't have any stupidly high or stupid low notes.

I have an uncanny ability to remember the exact words somebody said in a conversation, very useful in arguements. Also my speech skills are at 99.7 percent, unfortunately my writing skills are not that great. By the way, there should be a firebot of what thing are you the worst in the world at.

I definitely consider myself to be a good science student, but calling myself "one of the best" is kind of a stretch. Still, it's one thing I really am good at.

It's been my favorite school subject for as long as I can remember. Chemistry in particular I love, even if it requires a lot of math. Honestly, I'd call myself a bit of a science nerd. XD

http://www.supercratebox.com held several records in that game during hs

also when i was 14 I beat the highest recorded score in dolphin olympics 2 http://www.rawkins.com/games/dolphin-olympics-2 but never recorded it

I was able to jump cliffs and go quickly/smoothly through double-black tree runs within three weeks of skiing. too bad I live in the south.

I can drink 20 standard drinks without blacking out, at 145 lbs bodyweight.

my ass is so nice that if I put a pencil under my ass cheek, the tuck from ass cheek to thigh is prominent enough that will hold the pencil in place. nobody else I know can do that.

that's about it

Last edited:
I'm in the 99th percentile for oratory and linguistic arts, so there's that. I'm also the best at yu-gi-oh in my circle of friends, but that's just because I've been playing the longest. Oh, and I am likely a strong contender for "Person who looks least like their particular ethnicity."

another former chess player here. i won a series of local tournaments and was consistently top 10 in the country for my age group. at one point i was even sponsored by bell mobility (and i still have a cap and t-shirt to prove it!)

then i came down with a case of small pond syndrome and peaked some time in early high school before i lost interest. i'm probably around 1700 now, like the other posters here.

you never really lose the basics of strategy, but i sure do blunder a lot more than i used to. :(

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
I am literally below average or average or simply jus "good" at pretty much except technology and vgames, for example, it takes me about 1.5 hours to beat mega man X1 with only the X buster that you start out with, and with upgrades I can beat the game higher than the recorded record for the world, even though many peoopple can do this as imo the world record is terrible and most people just don't care enough to boast about how well they did in mega man, I can name every track in Metal Gear solid 1 just by listening to a quick snip of it (10 secs at most) such as the "Alert!!" theme. I probably have one of the highest WPMs in smogon and WA(washington) clocking at 180 WPM average when I'm not like, you know, waking up at 1 AM. My memory with video games I would say is pretty impressive with you know remembering the tracks of MGS, being able to name any Mega Man X boss (this includes the whole series, not just 1) under an hour. other than that I'm useless as fuck tho

I am(used to be?) really, really good at the old tetris. I cleared Type B like 150+ times, and I got to 186 lines once in Type A.
I haven't played in years, though.

I was also amazing at several custom maps in StarCraft:Brood War. Of course, those only appeal to like, 1% of the people that have ever played Brood War.
I was ranked #2 for a long time in LotRish style maps (with bases and spawning buildings and heroes, etc.), was really good at Temple Siege before it(and LoL and DotA) were cool, was undefeated in Helm's Deep (Annatar version) as Rohan, and sometimes I beat Koreans at their own micro-based maps on the Asia server.
Shame SC2 is so terribad for custom games.

I'm also really, really good at reading people. I guess I read books about subterfuge and stuff, so I can see what upsets people and how to get out of social situations. I'm still kind of awkward though.

There was a point in time where I once played ice hockey, typical of your average Canadian boy. I started when I was 4, and when I was 8, made the decision to become a goalie, since I was infatuated with the pads and masks. Over my near 9-year tenure as a goaltender, I was able to boast a very impressive record that would have easily landed me a legitimate shot in the WHL or CHL.

My first two years of being a goaltender were average at best. Being so young, I hadn't developed the athleticism nor flexibility to produce "highlight-reel" saves. I was considerably smaller than the net then too, so scoring on me wasn't that difficult. However, I hit a growth spurt in the summer of my final year of atom, and was then able to cover the bottom of the net whilst doing the splits. My hand-eye coordination improved significantly in the months leading up to the season, and my reign as king of the northern Alberta goaltenders began. Sorta.

Because of my above-average size and athleticism as a ten, eleven, and twelve-year old, I managed to rack up a rather impressive number of shutouts, falling short of records by one or two shutouts on multiple occasions, but finished each season with a .978, .985, and .990 save percentage respectively (GAA were pretty constant, sitting at 1.14, 1.08, and 0.99 for each season). Defense wasn't exactly a thing in this league, so I faced a lot of shots, and kicked most of them out. My second season of peewee saw me sprain my left knee on two occasions, which really hurt my averages and playing time (0.915 SV% and 2.31 GAA), and I finished that season as my team's backup. However, my time in bantam, and my first season of midget, saw me excel exponentially. Throughout bantam, I dominated the crease, posting SV%'s of .988 and .995 (GAA of 1.01 and 0.74 respectively), and tying two records in my league; most shutouts (18) and most wins (22). My first year of midget was even more spectacular, having shut out the opposition in the first 9 games of the season, and only allowing 9 more throughout the remaining 23 (SV% of .993 and GAA of 0.67). My team won that years playoffs, but lost during provincials, and I was even invited to a handful of UofA Bears practices and Edmonton Oil Kings practices.

It went downhill from there however, as I ended up suspended in my second year of midget for fighting (it's a bad thing to do as a player, and even worse if you're a goalie), which cost me the majority of my season. I ended up having to transfer leagues because of this during my third year, in which I sustained a Grade II concussion during a preseason game, which ended up sidelining me for two months. I did finish the season however, but my numbers continued their downward trend (.921 SV% and 2.14 GAA), and saw an early playoff exit when my coach decided to not start me in our first 3 games of the second round.

Last year was the most interesting, as it saw several scouts from the WHL, OHL, and QMJHL meet with myself and my families about me being drafted in the upcoming draft. Goaltenders take extra time to develop, which is why they hadn't approached me when I left bantam, and my injuries only offset this conversation further. This was huge for me, but required both my health and behavior to stay in line, both of which has issues from time to time. I started the season with three consecutive shutouts, and in the next four games, allowing only 4 goals. My backup would get the next two starts however. In my next appearance however, I broke my ankle in the first 5 minutes of the game, sidelining me for at least 6 weeks. I posted another shutout when I returned, and everything appeared to be normal. I finally had a shot to go pro. The rest of the season would see me slowly return to my bantam and initial midget numbers, but in the last game of the regular season, and coincidentally two weeks before the draft, I got into another fight. This time, there was no second chance, and by association, I wouldn't be draft-eligible. I was basically expelled from every minor hockey league, having been given a 4-year suspension, the third longest as I've been told.

So now I play in beer leagues from time to time. And I still kick ass. I'm nowhere near as good as I used to be since having packed on some extra weight, but I was very good in my prime.

I definitely don't see myself as worldly or nationally good, more regionally or rather in my group of friends. If it counts, I am freaking unbeatable in Fire Emblem: Awakening.

I don't think there's anything I've ever done that's world-class, but I was a remarkably proficient child. In grade 5 I was tested as having a reading level on par with a high school Junior, and I was never taught division; I actually reverse engineered division in third grade. I had been so consistently demolishing my math tests that I was given the placement test to advance a grade level in math. I had never seen division symbols before, and I did not know what the concept meant, though I had heard the word before. I was able to deduce that it was the opposite of multiplication (due to there being four types of problems on the test: addition, subtraction, multiplication, and the mystery function. Addition and subtraction were clearly opposites, so...), and from there was able to use my knowledge of the times tables to figure out which numbers multiplied by each other would result in the original number. For example, I solved 28 / 4 by knowing that 7 x 4 is 28 and removing 4 by process of elimination. I know this is blatantly obvious to us now but at the time this felt like extreme out-of-the-box thinking and eight-year-old-me was quite pleased with himself.

I also used to be able to run a six minute mile with very little training, so I regret not sticking to that to see how far I could go. But alas, I fucking hate running.

I believe I could be a very good novelist. I think my command over the English language is excellent. Unfortunately, all of the stories in my head are better suited for far more visual media (no doubt a result of my heavy Shounen influence). A pipe dream I've been bouncing around is to try and get my stories converted into manga / anime / video game / movie form, but I'm far too unambitious to attempt such a thing at this point. Maybe later in life though. I might still try the novel thing if I ever think of a plot that doesn't make me think "this would lose so much impact as just words". I was also told I was excellent at reading Cassius in Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, so theater is something I'm looking into at the moment (unfortunately my class scheduling has not been accommodating in this regard).

I'm also starting to play Magic at a more serious level, and recently Top 8'd the first SCG Super IQ I attended. No follow-up success despite multiple attempts (although I came very close on the most recent go), but I have hopes.

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not the best in the world at anything. If I was, I'd probably be spending my spare time doing that rather than moderating a pokemon website.

I'd like to think I'm very good at depressing people.

MattL

I have discovered a truly remarkable CT which this box is t-
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's insane how much talent there is in this thread. Really impressed with many of the posts. "World-class" is kind of subjective, but here are some of the things I'm best at.

I used to play Guitar Hero and Rock Band (as a guitarist) competitively. I wasn't world-class as far as getting 100% on crazy songs (but I definitely wasn't horrible; I could get about 750k on Through the Fire and Flames, if that gives you an idea), but I was definitely one of the best at calculating where to use your Star Power to get the highest score. On Rock Band 3, there was a point when I had the world record on about 40 songs on Expert Guitar.

I play Mario Kart Wii competitively. As far as the competitive community goes, I'm good but not elite. I've always been in the top American clans, but like, if you take the roster of the top American/Euro clan, I'd be slightly above average. (The Japanese community in Mario Kart Wii is pretty isolated from the rest of the world. The Japanese are a little better than the rest of the world, but not by a huge amount.) Excluding the Japanese, I'm in the top 100 people that still actively play, maybe top 50.

As far as non-gaming (aka, relevant, unless you're making money from gaming professionally, then I am jealous) accomplishments, I'm good at sports but definitely not good enough to even compete at a national level. In my second year of university, I got a 4.0 in seven third and fourth year math classes in a row (which means being in the top couple percent of the class), and in three of those seven classes, I got the highest grade in the class. I don't compete in math tournaments and I'm definitely not a math genius, but that's all I've got really and I hope it counts for something lol.

I consider myself to be a really good navigator. Normally, I only need to be somewhere once to know exactly how to get to said place again. This also applies to places I've been many years ago (for some reason I can easily remember that crap). It's like my brain is a navigation machine in a car! It's a really strange characteristic about myself, but I've gotten my family out of a lot of tight situations on the road with it. Calling myself "the best in the world" at navigation is a bit of stretch though, since I actually have to have been to a location to know how to get there the next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)