Issue #35 Released!

What were your favourite articles this issue?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey guys!

We've just released Issue #35 of The Smog. Unfortunately due to exams and other issues, we've taken a while to get this one out. Despite that, it's still a pretty cool issue, and we hope you enjoy reading it!

Just like last issue, we have a lot of metagame and battling strategy articles. We have two OU spotlights this issue, as well as Oglemi's secret tips to become a randbats master. Other than that we have a load of different articles this issue, so check it out!

We're also welcoming Vacate to the staff as of this issue, who we feel will be a wonderful addition to the team and will assist Toast with managing the HTML side of things.

We welcome your constructive feedback. You can leave that below and be sure to cast your vote on the poll we've included in this thread. As always, if you would like to write or draw for the Smog, give us a pitch in the Article Approvals subforum.

~ skylight, Setsuna, Flora, Toast++, Bummer, Vacate and sandshrewz

Last edited by a moderator:

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sephirona is the one who made the cover image, which is the art for OU Spotlight: Greninja. I usually try to avoid featuring the same artist twice on the cover, but this one was too summer-y to pass up.

Thanks to all of the other artists helping out this issue, the variety between styles and looks is what creates such a diversity between all of the articles. But we're always looking for new influence, so anyone who likes to draw on their free-time and that'd also like to help out in this regard, send me a PM and I'll gladly look over your stuff.

When you visit Issue #35 onsite or any of its articles, the top navigation says "Smogon >> The Smog >> Unnamed Section >> ..." instead of the part in bold being "Issue 35" as normal.

GP errors:

skylight's Meeting Smogoners IRL, bottom of fourth paragraph (under "Someone visiting you" heading):

Trust me, giving someone only a half an hour won't really be (add) a memorable experience as you won't even have enough time to drink a glass of water.
Second-last sentence under "Meeting up locally":

It's a nice way to get integrated into another group of people, learn some things, and play Pokemon (add accent) with more than just one person.
Interview with kokoloko, Flora's fourth question/entry:

Haha, so it's kinda like those wrestling (change, it says "wresting" and I'm p sure this was unintended) shows. Okay, moving on. What's with your username? It sounds so silly, maybe Hawaiian (okay maybe not), and definitely rolls off the tongue well!
The next (fifth) entry:

Some things are better left alone. I really do like the name though! Let's finally get into Smogon/Pokémon stuff! How did you get started on Smogon? Was there another site or community that led you to Smogon? (add question mark)
...oh, no more flora interviews? you'll be missed ):

OK, it's the middle of the night so those are the only articles I've read so far, but it looks like a great issue. Thank you, contributors.

skylight edit: fixed ty, we don't know how to fix the top thingie yet tho!

Last edited by a moderator:

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I just noticed that in my weather article, I say Mega Abomasnow gets nerfed to C-, but it's D now. If someone could change that to "Not even on the radar" instead of C+, that'd be nice.

Awesome issue, but I found a few typos too:
Rain Offense in OU - last line about Aegislash:
"and it has quite a bit to offer (to)rain."
Pokémon you should use in OU and why - third Mega Heracross calc:
"52+ Atk Mega Heracross Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 260-306 (85.5 - 100.6%)"<-missing attack EVs
edit:Also, in the Pairs article, it says that both Volbeat and Illumise have Tail Glow, but only Volbeat learns it.

Last edited:

Cereza

Tastes Like Candy
In the trivia section, it is implied that arceus can learn attacking moves from all types but I don't think arceus is able to learn any atacking fairy type moves. Could someone clarify this? Level 51 maybe

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In the trivia section, it is implied that arceus can learn attacking moves from all types but I don't think arceus is able to learn any atacking fairy type moves. Could someone clarify this? Level 51 maybe
Judgement with Pixie Plate becomes a Fairy-type move.

SnoopingGil

professional lurker
Not entirely sure if this is the right place to post this, but in the Skarmory section of "Remebering Our Roots", the buff to Sturdy is listed under the changes made between RSE and DPPt. If I remember correctly, this buff actually occurred in BW, not DPPt.

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not entirely sure if this is the right place to post this, but in the Skarmory section of "Remebering Our Roots", the buff to Sturdy is listed under the changes made between RSE and DPPt. If I remember correctly, this buff actually occurred in BW, not DPPt.
It appears you are correct. Syberia how would you like to change it?

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
First Smog article in a long while that I wasn't involved in the creation of, going to be pretty cool to read it not knowing anything going in! Still would suggest contributing for those on the fence, however.

While I would normally be shocked to see that my article didn't make it for some reason, I just find a few couple gems on this webzine that's noteworthy.

But really, poor Jirachi! No wonder I can't use her anymore at all in OU since all of her movesets are just halted for good. Also the same with Celebi. Yes, I love these use so much last gen. But this is the reason why I hope for the two to have mega evolutions just to replace their psychic typing with a fairy typing. I tried in the Megas For All Petmod. All of them disliked that prospect

I've noticed this with pretty much every issue of the Smog... why don't you guys ever link to the actual homepage of the issue in the announcement post? Obviously I can get to it by clicking on one of the linked articles and then the home page or clicking on the Smog link and then the issue, but it seems a little silly not to have a link to the actual issue when that's the announcement.

Otherwise, great work! I particularly found the Assault Vest article informative.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Excellent work as always! Now I just need to think of things to write about for next time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)