ORAS OU It stin(k)gs! Mega-Beedrill based team

Hello! I am new to Smogon. I created a new team that's based around one of my favorite new mega-evolutions: Mega-Beedrill. This once weak Pokemon that used to stink now stings hard! Let's get started already:

THE TEAM AT A GLANCE

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Trait: Sniper --> Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Protect

Beedrill used to be among my favorite Pokemon. With its new Mega-Evolution, I love it even more!
I use Beedrill as a late game sweeper that cleans up any weakened team that lacks/lost their scarfer. I happen to use U-Turn sometimes to grab fast momentum and parting damage that turns out to be hefty against what doesn't resist it. Poison Jab is Beedrill's main STAB move; in addition to hit very hard because of Adaptability boost, it has a pretty nifty chance of poisoning although the passive damage dealt isn't very important. Because it's so frail, I use Knock Off with Beedrill in the only case I predict a switch / it can OHKO the foe. Protect is what allows Beedrill to gain its newfound perks at Mega-Evolution because it is actually pretty slow prior to evolution and frail in general.

I do actually consider to run Drill Run > Knock Off but in the past, Drill Run didn't do so well, it failed to KO what it had to. Brick Break becomes an option, too, to kill Bisharp, but it usually kills Beedrill with Sucker Punch anyway.

Greninja (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 40 Atk / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse

Greninja is a Pokemon I really like. It is very popular right now for it has amazing offensive presence. . Moves are self-explanatory since this is the standard Greninja with ORAS right now. Boosted by Protean and Life Orb, every move is a show on its own and hits very hard. Gunk Shot particularly helps me to deal against Azumarill since 40 EVs in attack is all the ninja needs to OHKO it.

I consider using Grass Knot somewhere in this moveset but I can't replace any of the moves I already have. 4MSS infects Greninja very hard.

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Atk / 56 Def / 128 SpD
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

Scizor is a nice pivot; with the EVs I invested, it keeps an odd HP number for more Stealth Rock switch in, keeps a good attack for a defensive Pokemon and nice bulk overall, that consists of 343 / 250 / 250. Defog is what makes Scizor so important, because it removes hazards from both sides of the field. Bullet Punch picks up weakened targets and kill them right off and deals decent damage against frail Pokemon, while a slow U-Turn allows to grab momentum and have my next Pokemon enter safely. Roost keeps the armored bug healthy because it needs to stay so, or else hazards kill Beedrill.

I do consider ditching that whole set and run an offensive set to make my team Hyper Offense, and because Beedrill is the only member who is weak to hazards. But as Beedrill is my MVP and my team dislikes Spikes, I can't do that easily.

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Trick

Latios is the Revenge Killer of the team. It outspeeds the whole unboosted tier with its Scarf. Trick can be used to cripple a wall/utility Pokemon oncoming, like Chansey. I run Dragon Pulse over Draco Meteor because I also use Latios to clean late-game if Beedrill is fainted, but Draco Meteor looks tempting as well with its higher base-power, knowing that Latios will constantly switch. I use Psychic instead of Psyshock because the higher base-power tempts me, and I don't have any particular problem with Mega-Venusaur or Assault Vest Conkeldurr to run Psyshock. Thunderbolt hits Mega-Slowbro among other water-types.

I consider to run Draco Meteor and Psyshock instead of Dragon Pulse and Psychic but I am unsure about it. Tests in the past got me to use what I use right now. Maybe because I didn't use to play so well in the past?

Landorus @ Earth Plate
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

I lead with Landorus 90% of the time. People expect Leftovers but I run Earth Plate for Earthquake's extra power, which is the move I spam after having rocks up on the field. U-turn grabs momentum and is useful in conjunction with Intimidate. Stone Edge serves mainly as a coverage move. The given EV ensures Landorus hits as hard and fast as possible.

I consider to use a more defensive spread with Leftovers / Rocky Helmet to punish physical attackers but I really like my Landorus right now, he hits very hard and does its job correctly.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 Spe
Modest Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge

Heatran is used as a defensive pivot and checks what threatens my team most: Talonflame. Lava Plume hits pretty hard even unboosted because of Heatran's naturally good special attack. Toxic cripples walls Heatran can't touch. Earth Power is used to get past other Heatrans but I barely use it anyway. Stone Edge kills Talonflame, Volcarona and Charizard and is unexpected. The EVs are the exact same EVs specially-defensive Heatran uses, I just moved the Special Defense to Defense since this is what I need most.

I consider running Roar > Earth Power to trigger hazards, I do barely use Earth Power anyway.

LOOKING BACK AT THE TEAM

I hope you like it!
Guillotine (Beedrill) (M) @ Beedrillite
Ability: Sniper
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Protect

Greninja (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 40 Atk / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse

Scizor (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Atk / 56 Def / 128 SpD
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Trick

Landorus (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Earth Plate
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Heatran (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 Spe
Modest Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge

Last edited:

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
Nice team here are some suggestions:
landorus should be impish with leftovers (max hp, max defense, rest in attack) this makes lando-t able to take talonflame BB hits very well like nothing.

Defog Latios is a better idea than scarf and gives scizor a better option.

Scizor moveset: u-turn bullet punch swords dance and pursuit. Pursuit is for lati twins to get killed in a switch and SD for get boost.

heatrans set is not that great, scarf heatran is good. Set: ancient power, lava plume, flash cannon, and earth power

That is all i have to say.

Nice team here are some suggestions:
landorus should be impish with leftovers (max hp, max defense, rest in attack) this makes lando-t able to take talonflame BB hits very well like nothing.

Defog Latios is a better idea than scarf and gives scizor a better option.

Scizor moveset: u-turn bullet punch swords dance and pursuit. Pursuit is for lati twins to get killed in a switch and SD for get boost.

heatrans set is not that great, scarf heatran is good. Set: ancient power, lava plume, flash cannon, and earth power

That is all i have to say.
Everything you said is wrong.
The set he has for Lando is a bluff set. It's supposed to bluff the Scarf if you don't want to use Stealth Rocks right away.
Defog Latios isn't needed. It would be helpful, but Trick crippled walls like Ferrothorn and Chansey that otherwise wall it.
The Scizor set he has is compensation for not having Defog on Latios. It's a bulky sweeper that is most of the time more efficient.
The Heatran set is a bit wonky, but just replace a lax nature with a Modest Nature and you're all good.
PLEASE, for the love of god, explain your posts. Saying 'hey this set is good because your set is bad' is highly against the rules of rating a team.

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
Everything you said is wrong.
The set he has for Lando is a bluff set. It's supposed to bluff the Scarf if you don't want to use Stealth Rocks right away.
Defog Latios isn't needed. It would be helpful, but Trick crippled walls like Ferrothorn and Chansey that otherwise wall it.
The Scizor set he has is compensation for not having Defog on Latios. It's a bulky sweeper that is most of the time more efficient.
The Heatran set is a bit wonky, but just replace a lax nature with a Modest Nature and you're all good.
PLEASE, for the love of god, explain your posts. Saying 'hey this set is good because your set is bad' is highly against the rules of rating a team.
7.8 out of 10 rage comment you focused on my comment and not on the team great team rating and it was a suggestion calm down. And i would recommend naive over hasty nature on greninja.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll try out Modest > Lax for Heatran.
7.8 out of 10 rage comment you focused on my comment and not on the team great team rating and it was a suggestion calm down. And i would recommend naive over hasty nature on greninja.
Why Naive > Hasty on Greninja? I don't see your reasoning. Greninja's defense is lower than its special defense.
More suggestions? :)

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll try out Modest > Lax for Heatran.

Why Naive > Hasty on Greninja? I don't see your reasoning. Greninja's defense is lower than its special defense.
More suggestions? :)
Most priority is physical. It avoids the KO with Mega Metagross' combination of Meteor Mash and Bullet Punch after Stealth Rocks or a round of Life Orb, for example.

Last edited:
Stone Edge is still actually better than Ancient Power if you don't mind the accuracy. It's still a guaranteed KO on Char Y and Talonflame, even with a -Attack nature. Ancient Power actually doesn't have a huge chance to OHKO Char Y without Stealth Rocks.
(I think. On mobile so can't do calcs. Feel free to correct me.)

MANNAT

https://spo.ink/aq7
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
For Greninja, I recommend running Low Kick over Hydro Pump because it covers more threats and is usually hovering from 100-120 base power w/o the bad accuracy. If you do, then 244 atk EVs and 14 spatk EVs guarantee a 2HKO on Chansey. I will provide a full rate later when I have some more time.

Ancient power is fine.
Stone Edge is still actually better than Ancient Power if you don't mind the accuracy. It's still a guaranteed KO on Char Y and Talonflame, even with a -Attack nature. Ancient Power actually doesn't have a huge chance to OHKO Char Y without Stealth Rocks.
(I think. On mobile so can't do calcs. Feel free to correct me.)
I'll try both.

For Greninja, I recommend running Low Kick over Hydro Pump because it covers more threats and is usually hovering from 100-120 base power w/o the bad accuracy. If you do, then 244 atk EVs and 14 spatk EVs guarantee a 2HKO on Chansey. I will provide a full rate later when I have some more time.
Over Hydro Pump? Don't you mean Ice Beam or Dark Pulse? I am sceptical of ditching Greninja's strongest move.. I'll still try it nevertheless.

MANNAT

is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'll try both.
Over Hydro Pump? Don't you mean Ice Beam or Dark Pulse? I am sceptical of ditching Greninja's strongest move.. I'll still try it nevertheless.
It is pretty common to run over Hydro Pump because it has the same coverage in the tier.

Hey! This is a really nice team, I do like it. However, I'd like to make some suggestions that you might consider to test. First of all, looking at the team, I would have immediately made some changes, such as giving Stealth Rock to Heatran over Stone Edge, as Heatran is generally a more reliable stealth rocker (great typing and bulk), and you have Toxic to wear down Talonflame, while changing Landorus to a Scarfed set (I suppose it's the Therian forme, check your RMT) with 252 Atk / 12 Def / 244 Spe with Jolly nature (outspeeds max invested base 145) and Stone Edge, U-Turn, EQ and Superpower; this provides a good revenge killer. This would open up Defog for Latios, adding a Life Orb, as Trick can be too situational and the extra power is greatly appreciated. Moreover, Latios has a better matchup against most Rockers, being able to seriously dent them ir resisting their moves, and his greater speed can let him pull off a last Defog before dying. Scizor can then run a more offensive set (Band or Swords Dance) in order to put more pressure on the opponent, weakening physical walls for Beedrill to sweep. Finally, I would suggest littlelucario's set for Greninja. However, if you feel these changes are too radical and/or they don't fit either your team or your play style just tell me, so I'll try to give you a different rate. I'll further test the team with and without changes in the next days.
Great job!

Since you added Protect to Beedrill, have you considered an Adamant Nature? It hits like a train. Once you Mega Evolve you you're looking at 438 Atk and 389 Spe (Adamant) vs. 399 Atk and 427 Spe (Jolly). The fastest threat is Greninja with 377 Spe which can be outsped by the Adamant nature. I think it would appreciate the extra damage.

It is pretty common to run over Hydro Pump because it has the same coverage in the tier.
Thanks for the advice. It's doing great for me so far! :)

Hey! This is a really nice team, I do like it. However, I'd like to make some suggestions that you might consider to test. First of all, looking at the team, I would have immediately made some changes, such as giving Stealth Rock to Heatran over Stone Edge, as Heatran is generally a more reliable stealth rocker (great typing and bulk), and you have Toxic to wear down Talonflame, while changing Landorus to a Scarfed set (I suppose it's the Therian forme, check your RMT) with 252 Atk / 12 Def / 244 Spe with Jolly nature (outspeeds max invested base 145) and Stone Edge, U-Turn, EQ and Superpower; this provides a good revenge killer. This would open up Defog for Latios, adding a Life Orb, as Trick can be too situational and the extra power is greatly appreciated. Moreover, Latios has a better matchup against most Rockers, being able to seriously dent them ir resisting their moves, and his greater speed can let him pull off a last Defog before dying. Scizor can then run a more offensive set (Band or Swords Dance) in order to put more pressure on the opponent, weakening physical walls for Beedrill to sweep. Finally, I would suggest littlelucario's set for Greninja. However, if you feel these changes are too radical and/or they don't fit either your team or your play style just tell me, so I'll try to give you a different rate. I'll further test the team with and without changes in the next days.
Great job!
Your ideas look pretty neat. I should like to try them all, I'll give you feedback! I am still searching for the playstyle that suits me best, but so long I don't dislike any Pokemon I use, it should be fine.

Since you added Protect to Beedrill, have you considered an Adamant Nature? It hits like a train. Once you Mega Evolve you you're looking at 438 Atk and 389 Spe (Adamant) vs. 399 Atk and 427 Spe (Jolly). The fastest threat is Greninja with 377 Spe which can be outsped by the Adamant nature. I think it would appreciate the extra damage.
That sounds like a good idea. I should try that as well.

MANNAT

The problem with adamant beedrill is that it loses the speed tie than max speed sceptile and is slower to everything that is 252 speed with a speed boosting nature north of base 130 speed, which is a lot more than you would think.

The problem with adamant beedrill is that it loses the speed tie than max speed sceptile and is slower to everything that is 252 speed with a speed boosting nature north of base 130 speed, which is a lot more than you would think.
I also agree on that. I'll be running tests today with all the suggestions I got from everyone so I can decide what helped my team thus far.
Thanks again, everybody! :)

I also need some opinions:
Would Ice Beam be good on Latios? I do struggle against Gliscor, and I believe Ice Beam comes off unexpected by many.
Would Explosion be considerable for Landorus? Scizor now runs Superpower and I dislike using the same move on two Pokemon. Explosion can also allow Landorus to mark a final blow if its HP have gone very low.

I also need some opinions:
Would Ice Beam be good on Latios? I do struggle against Gliscor, and I believe Ice Beam comes off unexpected by many.
Would Explosion be considerable for Landorus? Scizor now runs Superpower and I dislike using the same move on two Pokemon. Explosion can also allow Landorus to mark a final blow if its HP have gone very low.
Explosion is, again, very situational, yet unexpected. It would be a good idea using it if there were some particular threats that can be lured in and killed by Explosion, allowing your teammates to clean the rest. Otherwise, you might also consider Knock Off as it can come in very handy, for example by knocking off opposite Lando's Scarf. The choice is up to you!

As far as Latios is concerned, isn't Draco Meteor powerful enough to dent him? This also reminds me that you could run Psyshock > Psychic to heavily dent special walls such as Sylveon and the pink blobs, as well as hitting AV Conkeldurr harder. Again, test my suggestions and see what's the best solution for your team!

Explosion is, again, very situational, yet unexpected. It would be a good idea using it if there were some particular threats that can be lured in and killed by Explosion, allowing your teammates to clean the rest. Otherwise, you might also consider Knock Off as it can come in very handy, for example by knocking off opposite Lando's Scarf. The choice is up to you!

As far as Latios is concerned, isn't Draco Meteor powerful enough to dent him? This also reminds me that you could run Psyshock > Psychic to heavily dent special walls such as Sylveon and the pink blobs, as well as hitting AV Conkeldurr harder. Again, test my suggestions and see what's the best solution for your team!
I agree for Latios. I still kept Dragon Pulse since I used it as a scarfer before trying LO, and I can now run Draco Meteor safely. I'll also try Psyshock > Psychic and see how much it can help my team. I'm still testing Explosion on Landorus. It can OHKO other Landorus granted there's not Intimidate (252 Atk Landorus-T Explosion vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 323-380 (100.9 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO)
and provide an emergency door for a final unexpected blow.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Landorus should run explosion along side Choice Scarf/Normal Gem if you want to change the item, otherwise Knock Off is the better choice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)