Just an Ubers team

Intro:

Welcome to my first generation V Ubers RMT. This team is one of my most, if not most successful Ubers team to date. I made this team when I was looking at the combos thread and saw Tentacruel + Ferrothorn. From there, a more defensively orientated team came along until I reached the final product which will be shown below. I'm not really big on introductions so let's cut to the chase, here's the team!

In Depth:

Tentacruel (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Protect
- Scald

The first part of the TentaFerro combo. Tentacruel spins hazards, lays, and absorbs Toxic Spikes. With Kyogre providing an infinite downpour, Tentacruel restores 1/8 of its health each turn thanks to Rain Dish. This fact is abused by Protect, which can also help scout for Choiced attackers and rack up more poison damage from Toxic Spikes.

Toxic Spikes poisons any grounded Pokémon switching in, limiting their time on the battlefield. Rapid Spin helps keep opposing hazards off my side of the field. Protect as stated before scouts for Choiced attacks, extra Leftovers + Rain Dish recovery, and extra Toxic Spikes damage. Scald finishes off the set as a nice STAB attack that can burn the ubiquitous Ferrothorn.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Power Whip
- Protect
- Leech Seed

The second part of the combo. The omnipresent Ferrothorn sports an amazing Grass- and Steel- typing that many Pokémon would kill to have. This typing, combined with its bulk lets me switch into Pokémon including, but not limited to Kyogre; Palkia; and Zekrom, the latter which could otherwise prove troublesome for this team.

Spikes comes as the second entry hazard of the team, whittling away at opposing Pokémon's health each time they enter into battle. Power Whip maims Kyogre and Palkia. Leech Seed provides passive recovery for Ferrothorn and his teammates. Protect again is for extra recovery + passive damage on the opponent's team.

Kyogre @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 52 HP / 252 SAtk / 204 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Water Spout
- Surf
- Thunder
- Ice Beam

Tentacruel and Ferrothorn, like all combos, have weaknesses. This combo in particular has trouble against Groudon, who can Earthquake and Fire Punch Tentacruel and Ferrothorn respectively for swift KOs. Ho-oh is also problematic, as Sacred Fire roasts Ferrothorn and Brave Bird maims Tentacruel, while Tentacruel does nothing back with Scald. With this in mind, I added a Kyogre. Formerly a ResTalk Kyogre, it is now a Choice Scarf variant. Kyogre provides an infinite downpour, helping Tentacruel by giving it Rain Dish recovery, and Ferrothorn by giving it a less crippling weakness to Fire-type attacks. Choice Scarf Kyogre can also kill Mewtwo and Darkrai, who can prove troublesome to a stall team.

Water Spout is Kyogre's most powerful attack, dealing heavy damage to most Pokémon. Surf is back-up STAB for when Kyogre is at too low health to utilise Water Spout. Thunder hits opposing Kyogre, as well as Palkia. Ice Beam rounds off the set by scoring super effective hits on Dragon-type Pokémon and Grass Arceus. I took trickroom's EV spread and tweaked it a little: the extra 12 EVs in Speed let Kyogre get the jump on Deoxys-A, as well as Mewtwo and Darkrai.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Seismic Toss
- Softboiled
- Stealth Rock
- Heal Bell

My fourth member, Chansey, was chosen due to the support she provides. She gives me my final entry hazard, Stealth Rock, she serves as a cleric for my team, and keeps Special attackers at bay.

Stealth Rock completes the trio of hazards, Heal Bell alleviates my team of any unwanted status, Softboiled was chosen over Wish since all of the Pokémon on my team bar Terrakion pack some form of recovery, and Heal Bell helps with Rest's side effect. Finally, Seismic Toss prevents Chansey from turning into complete Taunt bait and lets it be able to do damage.

Giratina @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Dragon Tail
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

With all the hazards, a spinblocker was bound to follow. I chose Giratina-A over Ghost Arceus because of its typing, granting it extra Grass-, Fire-, Water- and Electric- resistance, and because of its superior bulk, helping me counter threats like ExtremeKiller Arceus better.

Dragon Tail further abuses hazards, forcing more and more switches. Will-o-Wisp cripples Flying- and Steel- types (bar Ho-oh and Heatran). Rest gives Giratina needed recovery and Sleep Talk, like for Kyogre, allows Giratina to potentially do a lot of damage while sleeping.

Arceus-Groun (Arceus-Ground) @ Earth Plate
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Another suggestion by trickroom, Ground Arceus replaces Terrakion on this team. With Choice Scarf Kyogre, I didn't need another Scarf user. I was also weak to Substitute Calm Mind Giratina-O, and also had problems versus Mixed Zekrom (which thankfully I don't see often). Ground Arceus fixes these issues, being able to Calm Mind alongside Giratina-O, and take attacks from Mixed Giratina-O and Zekrom with little difficulty.

Max HP, along with Calm Mind and Recover, make Ground Arceus tough to take down. Judgment is STAB and decimates Fire- and Steel- type Pokémon. Ice Beam hits Dragon-type Pokémon, especially Garchomp, for a lot of damage. 112 Speed EVs hit 334 Speed, letting Ground Arceus outspeed everything from non-Choice Scarf Garchomp and under. The rest of the EVs are dumped into Defense, letting Ground Arceus take Dragon Dance Rayquaza's, Mixed Giratina-O's and Zekrom's Dragon Claws and Outrages better.

Conclusion:

And there's the team. As stated in the introduction, this is possibly my most successful Ubers team to date. I may make a threatlist if need be, but I don't see much need to since there aren't that many threats. Calm Mind Ghost Arceus is possibly the biggest threat to this team now after I fixed the team. So thank you for reading and I await comments!

Kyogre @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Roar
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Tentacruel and Ferrothorn, like all combos, have weaknesses. This combo in particular has trouble against Groudon, who can Earthquake and Fire Punch Tentacruel and Ferrothorn respectively for swift KOs. Ho-oh is also problematic, as Sacred Fire roasts Ferrothorn and Brave Bird maims Tentacruel, while Tentacruel does nothing back with Scald. In an attempt to remedy these problems, I added a ResTalk Kyogre to the team. Kyogre serves as my go-to Pokémon against Groudon and Ho-oh, and also serves as a sleep absorber, helping me against Darkrai.

Scald is my STAB move of choice, doing decent damage, as well as possibly burning Ferrothorn switch-ins. Roar is good for abusing hazards, speeding up the process of weakening my opponent's team. Rest is Kyogre's only form of recovery, and I need to keep Rain up for Tentacruel's Rain Dish, and to reduce Ferrothorn's gaping Fire weakness. Sleep Talk offers me a chance to do damage while I'm sleeping, which can be of big help against Darkrai and various other set-up sweepers.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor

I noticed I was weak to several Pokémon, such as Dragon Dance and Swords Dance Rayquaza, Calm Mind Refresh Dark Arceus and Bulk Up Dialga. With this in mind, I elected Terrakion to be the final member of my squad. With a Choice Scarf, its Speed reaches a stat of 519, more than enough to outspeed Dragon Dance Rayquaza and Dark Arceus. Its nifty Rock- typing also provides a very useful resistance to Swords Dance Rayquaza's, and by extension ExtremeKiller Arceus' Extremespeeds, easily surviving them and KO'ing them with the appropriate attack.

Close Combat is a strong Fighting- STAB move, smashing the omnipresent Steel- types. Stone Edge lets me beat Flying- types, Rayquaza and Lugia in particular. The last two moves are mainly filler and rarely see use: Earthquake is Terrakion's strongest move against Zekrom, but usually Zekrom is weakened to the point where Close Combat KO's; X-Scissor is Terrakion's strongest option against Mewtwo, and is the probably the only time I actually use X-Scissor.

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I see a really good team over there. Congratulations on making it. Though stall teams are not my forte i'll still try to see if there any problems to be fixed.

-On your Tentacruel i feel it would be best to run Knock Off over Protect. From all my experiences of using this Tenta + Ferro combo i found Knock Off to be really useful in whacking off any Lefties on Pokemon like Ferrothorn and making them more prone to residual damage.

-Xatu along with Groudon and Ghost-type especially Giratina-O will give this team lots of problems. Xatu completely stops half of your walls and can set up Screens. Terrakion who is your only real check to Xatu is easily taken care of by Groudon who incidentally can devastate Tentacruel + Ferrothorn. The best way to take care of this is to replace Chansey with Support Dialga. I dont see the requirement for another dedicated Special Wall when Ferro + Tenta does a damn good job at it. The Dialga set i propose is:

Dialga @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 232 HP / 56 SAtk / 200 SDef / 20 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Roar

This Dialga gives you another useful phazer to abuse your hazards and is one of the few pokemon into whom Xatu will think twice about switching in to bounce back a Stealth Rock, since Draco Meteor will main it. With Roar, you can also act as a make shift check to SubCM Giratina-O since it doesnt OHKO with Aura Sphere even at +1. The 20 Speed is given to outspeed any Groudon SR leads and 2HKO them with Fire Blast.

Apart from this I see no real problem with your team. Hope my suggestion was useful to you. Good luck on the ladder !

Hello Sam, I really like this team; however, well-played stall seems like a problem for you, because your spin blocker is simply bait for Forretress to set up more hazards. Besides the fact that it completely fucks over any Rapid Spin attempt that Tentacruel makes, SubCM Giratina can 6-0 you quite easily, with a free setup versus Chansey or Terrakion locked into Close Combat / Earthquake.

My suggestion is to try Ghost Arceus over Giratina. Giratina's role is to check powerful physical threats such as Blaziken and ExtremeKiller Arceus. The former is checked by Kyogre and Tentacruel, while the latter is checked by Terrakion; both mons are also worn down by hazards and abusing resistances with smart switching, so Giratina isn't really being too useful. Ghost Arceus, on the other hand, turns Forretress's spin attempts into setup fodder and defeats SubCM Giratina handily.

Arceus @ Spooky Plate | Timid | EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpA / 16 Spe
Calm Mind | Roar | Recover | Judgment

The Speed EVs outrun positive natured base 90s such as Groudon, Kyogre, Reshiram, Zekrom, and of course, Giratina-O.

Hope I helped, good team and good luck!

I like stall teams, but this team is really SPIKES WEAK. Not much of a threat directly but still harms all your members. Funny thing though, I will suggest against both barry and BKC changes.

I will say keep Protect on Tentacruel because that's your only switch in to full power Modest Kyogre Water Spouts. Without Protect Tentacruel is 2HKOed, sure Tentacruel can outspeed and Knock Off the Specs before getting killed, but what if it has more than 238 Speed? Knock Off is annoying but Protect helps Tenta to recover and Scout, or even abuse Toxic Spikes.

While Xatu is annoying, Kyogre defeats both Groudon and Xatu, I don't see much problem with that. Ferro and Tenta might be a decent combination but this is Ubers LOL, so Chansey is necessary especially for a stall team like this. With Chansey gone, things like Lustrous Orb Palkia, Calm Mind Ghost Arceus/Grass/Fighting will destroy your whole team. For starters, Chansey does beat Fighting Arceus despite the weakness. Dialga also makes his whole team die to Fighting Arceus, Ghost Arceus even easier. You will need Chansey from what I can see.

I doubt SubCM Giratina-O can 6-0 your team. Your Kyogre with Roar is a decent check to it. You can also use Gyro Ball Ferrothorn to defeat Giratina-O one-on-one. Calm Mind Kyogre hates Leech Seed + Seismic Toss anyway and a burned Ferrothorn will still lose to it. Giratina actually fits pretty well onto the team. Blaziken OHKOes both Kyogre and Tentacruel at +2, how is it checked by those? Giratina is way more useful than ever, it also walls Ho-Oh like a man, who is otherwise troublesome for your team as it nearly 2HKOes Kyogre with SR. Giratina also defeats SD Ground Arceus, Excadrill and non Ice Beam Mewtwo, trust me your Kyogre will hate taking +2 Earthquakes/Pstyrike all the time. That Ghost Arceus is OHKOed by +2 Psytrike.

Running 280 Speed Arceus is also kinda wasted because the base 90s either run little to no Speed or go out with speed boosting natures, Things like 279 Groudon rarely appears anyway.

Keep in mind this team is quite a bit weak to Mewtwo and Zekrom. Mewtwo can set up on Tentacruel easily while you are forced out. Terrakion isn't strong enough to take it out sadly while Kyogre is OHKOed by +2 Psytrike, even +1 does a ton. Giratina hates Ice Beam but can otherwise phaze out Mewtwo easily. Changing to Ghost Arceus can help against non Fire Blast or Shadow Mewtwo but you should use a Bold Nature for this. You have no Electric-type immune while Giratina can't come in on Dragon-type attacks. Sure Giratina survives CB Outrage but you won't risk that. Mixed Zekrom tears through this team easily, OHKOing all of them bar Ferrothorn who is KOed by Focus Blast while Draco Meteor rips Giratina. Dialga also phazes your whole team around and only fears Close Combat from Terrakion but your bull can't come in on Dialga.

To solve this, you can drop your Terrakion for Calm Mind Ground Arceus who solves your Calm Mind Giratina-O, Zekrom, Dialga weakness easily. With your Scarf user gone, change your Kyogre to a Scarf variant. Scarf Kyogre easily drowns Mewtwo with Water Spout and can OHKO some Arceus variants. Ground Arceus can check Rayquaza with Ice Beam too since Scarf Kyogre cannot counter DD Ray. Ferrothorn and Giratina beats SD Arceus already so you are not losing much anyway.

Use whatever EV spread but some Defense EVs are needed to live a +1 Outrage after SR.
Ground Arceus
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Recover

I still think you should keep Giratina though and BKC's Arceus is still set up bait for Forretress LOL, how is that solving the problem Giratina faces when spin blocking?

I have tried the changes you have suggested, and Choice Scarf Kyogre and CM Ground Arceus have definitely helped, getting me #1 on SU ladder. Not really an accomplishment, but at least it's something, right? Thanks for the rates everyone! :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)