just got a wii

I just bought a wii on eBay, it came with Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy, Wii Play, and one extra wiimote (without the nunchuck)

What are some wii staples that I should add? definitely thinking about Brawl, Twilight Princess/Skyward Sword, and I'm looking forward to downloading Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask/other n64 games!

Should I buy another nunchuck? Should I buy a gamecube controller?

please help! :toast:

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
If you're gonna get brawl you'll need to grab a gamecube controller, possibly 2 cause that game's highlight is the multiplayer. New Super Mario Bros. is a good one, I think there's a Mario Kart game too? I'm having a hard time remembering, I don't play my wii very much heh. You can't go wrong with any of the nintendo brand games though.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
def get a gamecube controller, you can also use it for a bunch of the n64 games, like Super Smash Bros., etc.

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
definitely brawl, skyward sword and monster hunter tri.

i just picked up rhythm heaven fever yesterday and its also great, and simple, and its only $30 (canadian). just a nice collection (50) rhythm mini-games where you only need to press 1 button (sometimes 2). this is one of my favorites so far, such a badass tune

[youtube]6qFo9gwO6KE[/youtube]

Stratos

Banned deucer.
okay so here's the ones I would recommend, in order from MUST GET NOW to hey this is a good game:

Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night and Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon. (parts of a trilogy.) These are two of the best games ever made IMO. The first of the trilogy is OK but the story isn't that great and it's for DS and you can play Eternal Night without it and stuff so don't need to bother getting.

Star Wars: the Force Unleashed. just kidding this game is FUCKING TERRIBLE

Metroid Prime Trilogy. It's a shame you already bought Corruption because this box set was retailed at around the same price, but it came with 1+2 with upgraded controls as well and oh it had a cool box.

there was also Donkey Kong Country Returns which is self-explanatory enough. Made by the same people who did the Metroid Prime trilogy!

that's uh basically it for my recommendations

Donkey Kong Country Returns - If you've played the original DKC games for SNES you'll probably enjoy this too. The mandatory motion controls are kinda annoying but it's still a really fun 2D platformer with pretty good visuals that gave me a pretty good nostalgia trip and also a fun gaming experience. If you haven't played the original DKC games, consider picking this up anyways if you're into 2D platformers.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - A lot of people consider this to be more of an expansion pack for Super Mario Galaxy rather than a sequel. I found the level design to be a lot better overall though. If you play Super Mario Galaxy and really like the gameplay, consider picking this up as well.

Mario Strikers Charged - Don't actually own this game but I played it at a friend's house a bunch of times and it's a lot of fun despite being something like the 14th mario sports spin off.

Mega Man 9 and 10 (Wiiware) - A throwback to the original Mega Man games with NES graphics, dope as fuck bleepity bloopity music and challenging levels. Both 9 and 10 are fantastic games even if you haven't played the originals.

Pokemon Rumble (Wiiware) - An action beatemup game where you control Pokemon toys and use Pokemon moves to defeat and collect other Pokemon toys. Unfortunately it only has 1st and 4th generation Pokemon, but still extremely fun (especially if you're playing co-op). If you have a 3DS you're better off getting Pokemon Rumble Blast though since it has every pokemon from generations 1 through 5.

Some other games that I haven't played yet but maybe someone who sees this HAS and is willing to expand on them:
Epic Mickey
Kirby's Return to Dreamland
Goldeneye 007
Resident Evil 4 (there's a wii edition)
Sonic Colors?
Cave Story (Wiiware)
Contra Rebirth (Wiiware)
MUSCLE MARCH (Wiiware)

Bartman101

Banned deucer.
Well, here's some advice on the games I've got:

Wii Sports - Tennis not accurate enough, control isn't great on boxing. Golf is iffy, bowling is good, but gets boring after a while, similarly for baseball.
Wii Play- Good for a 5 minute play, or something like that, good for Wii beginners, becomes way too easy once you get to grips with controlling the Wii
Wii Sports Resort - Pretty good, I like the flying thing myself, some things can really tire you out though. Occasionally gets a bit repetitive though, otherwise, probably the best Wii game I own. I recommend it.
Fifa 11 - Sh!t
Fifa 12 - Minutely better than Fifa 11
Wii Party - Good for entertaining guests. I find most of the shorter games on it become too easy very quickly, never been a fan of the longer games though.
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Great in the beginning of the game. However with any game like this it can become extremely frustrating. I gave up on some World 2 level (awful, I know...)

I'm sure I have another Wii game though (will update if it turns out I do)...

EDIT: God knows how I forgot Mario Kart Wii - Erm, good as a driving game with some twists, good fun most of the time. Second best Wii game I own.

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
i am a big fan of the wario ware series, so i'd recommend the wii version to you. If you are mainly looking for single-player games though, it probably isn't the best for you. I'd also recommend Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn if you are into the series or want to try it out.

yond

mitt game strong
is a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Twilight Princess(the main wii staple)/ Skyward Sword are both REALLY good, but I'd definitely start with TP because that is probably my favorite zelda game of all time (and i've played all of them). The N64 option is awesome but its only awesome if you get yourself a game cube controller.

Brawls story mode is pretty fun and mario kart is a good party game. If you're looking for your typical Mario 64 esque game then I suggest galaxy.

also i DONT recommend the spyro games, i bought the first one and it really sucked...

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
all the "staple" games can be located fairly easily with a quick google search

i got a lot of good wii game recommendations in my thread i posted a while ago, you might wanna check em out

One of my favorite games is the Fire Emblem for the Wii. If you never played the fire emblem series, Ike's quest is a pretty addicting place to start.

However if you do get it, you need to play the prequel on the GC.

Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are by far my favorite Wii games out of my small collection. Twilight Princess was somewhat of a disappointment as the world was kind of uninteresting and a bunch of sections felt forced in to pad out the game length but the dungeons were as good as ever so I'd say it's still worth playing.

Although it disappointed me a bit, I'd suggest you to buy Final fantasy Echoes of time, unfortunately there are not many good rpg on wii imo...

Tolan

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Look into Homebrew...it's amazing.

I suggest:
For Wii: Zelda Skyward Sword, Zelda Twilight Princess.
For Gamecube: Pokemon Colosseum, Zelda Wind Waker, Mario Kart: Double Dash
Virtual Console: All Zelda games, Pokemon Snap (It's quick, but semi entertaining)

I don't know much about a lot of games, but these are all of the ones I love the living fuck out of.

SSBB, of course. However, gets boring after a while, if you keep winning :P.
Super Mario Galaxy is pretty fun. However, the stars needed to advance is a bit annoying, since the levels can get hard.
Some other ones I heard were good:
Skyward Sword - no comment needed
Rhythm Heaven Wii (or something like that) - from the DS version, can get extremely hard if you don't have a good sense of rhythm
Bit.Trip.Complete - not sure about this one. Seems like it's a bit like Rhythm Heaven.
Donkey Kong Country - fun in general.
Cave Story (Wiiware) - classic, fun

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Brawl is garbage, darkie, don't bother with it. If anything just grab 2 gamecube controllers and Melee and have yourself a much, much better time. Okami is also a really awesome game that I suggest you try.

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Dragonball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 2 is a very underrated fighting game. Pick up a GameCube controller if you get it though, the wiimote+nunchuck controls are meh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)