BW NU King for a Day

MMF

Give me the strength to part this sea
(KEIRAN WE ALL KNOW THESE BANNERS ARE YOURS! YOU DON'T NEED CREDIT)

INTRODUCTION

Best RMT name ever y/y? So this has been my go to NU team as of the past two months but following the release of Gothitelle it effectiveness has dropped so I’ve decided to go ahead and retire this version of the team. I’m still open to suggestions though!

Now this team really doesn’t have any history behind it or any #1 ladder peaks but its served me very well in mini tours/test matches and maintains a pretty good record on PS. It started out with me really wanting to use the Beast known only as ZANGOOSE. I really wanted this team to just wear the opposing team down so much that Zangoose could come in at the end and clean up. A cool thing about this team is that even though its meant for Zangoose to sweep, every member of the team has the capability to get 1-2 KO’s each and even perform a sweep if the conditions are right.

So in my search for the perfect teammates, I stumbled upon LO Kangaskhan. Not only does Kangaskhan put huge dents into Golurk and Misdreavus(which helps Zangoose tremendously as I can then spam Facade to my heart’s content) it also is an incredible revenge killer. Fake Out+Sucker Punch is a dead stop to most of NU’s frailer sweepers such as Gorebyss, Cinccino, and most weather sweepers. At this point I really wanted a check to Cinccino, Swellow, and company and CBB showed me my favorite SR setter in NU, Rocky Helmet Regirock. The extra 16% on Choice Scarf Braviary or Cinccino is so amazing and really lets this team work its magic. These last 3 Pokemon were chosen because I thought they would have good synergy and help patch up some weaknesses and they did the job admirably. Gurdurr helped give my team more priority and was a strong check to Absol which I need and utilized a pretty underrated set in 4 Atks. Up next was Amoonguss who gave me a good check to most fighting types and also beat the Regenerator core and also gave my opponents quite a surprise ;). And last but not least, CM Musharna who is a staple on most of my teams just because it’s a full stop to every fighting type out there and is also capable of sweeping at any moment. At this point the team was finished!

This team is very offensive and works by knowing when to sacrifice certain Pokemon in order to get vital damage on the opposing team thus opening up a sweep for any of my other Pokemon. It requires a fair bit of prediction to pull off and probably isn’t the easiest team to use but man it was fun to use!

In-depth Look!

Regirock (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Adamant (+Atk, -SpAtk)
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch
- Rock Slide

Rocky Helmet Regirock is just amazing in the metagame right now. Not only is it still very bulky but its also pretty strong. Being able to wall Swellow, Braviary, and Cinccino while also taking HP from Samurott and Zangoose is just invaluable to me.

Stealth Rock is for the obvious hazards and limits the lifespans on the Birds and passive damage is always good. Ice Punch is now over Thunder Wave since it lets Regirock hit Golurk and Torterra which my team really needed. Drain Punch is the only form of recovery that Regirock has and it hits decently hard. It’s cool for hitting Cinccino and Zangoose for some strong damage. Rock Slide is for obligatory STAB and smacks Rotom-S around.

The EVs are pretty standard. Nearly max HP for bulk, max Attack and Adamant for as much power as possible, and the remainder in Speed.

Musharna (F) @ Leftovers
Bold (+Def, -Atk)
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Moonlight
- Heal Bell

Ah Calm Mind Musharna you are so reliable. Musharna is really here mainly because it stops all fighting types in their tracks and I wanted another bulkier mon to help sponge strong hits if need be. The best thing about Musharna though is that it is always possible for it to sweep as well. Musharna’s moveset isn’t one of a support mon but that’s really what it is. Its my first switch in to Gurdurr and Sawk and usually manages to take out 1 or 2 Pokemon a game which is enough for me. It also manages to beat the Regen core one on one as long as it has a boost or two for Amoonguss.

Calm Mind is there to give Musharna an option to sweep while Psychic is its only attacking move and also its only STAB move. Moonlight is such a great move since I can sit there and tank Sawk and Gurdurr all day while boosting in their face. And Heal Bell rounds out the moveset and its really useful when playing against Pokemon that use Toxic as Synchronize will Poison them while I can cure the Poison and continue boosting.

The EVs are standard for Musharna to achieve max bulk with a little speed creep on my part.

Amoonguss (M) @Life Orb
Modest (+SpAtk, -Atk)
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 112 SpAtk / 136 Def / 12 Spe
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power Ground

This is where the sets starting getting a little stranger. LO Amoonguss is the only Amoonguss set I use now. Its just so good. I have to thank Django for thrashing me with this set and then giving it to me as it really is a strong set. Now you may think, “Why the fuck are you using LO Amoonguss?” To which I respond, “Why are you not?” Honestly the onsite Amoonguss set while walling many threats, was just not strong enough for me and was set up fodder for too many threats so when Django showed me this set I was in love. Funnily enough this set still checks a majority of the things the bulkier set does while still causing a surprising amount of damage.

Spore is honestly a pretty broken move as it basically incapacitates one Pokemon on the opposing team which for me is great as I can continue pounding the opponent into submission. Giga Drain is STAB and a very good way to offset the LO Recoil. Its also helpful in breaking down any bulky waters and Rock Types that may give my team some trouble. Sludge Bomb is also STAB and it hits surprisingly hard. Doing about 75% to Swellow on the switch is just awesome and the poison chance is just an added bonus against things like Gardevoir and Gothitelle. Hidden Power Ground is probably the biggest oddball but it allows Amoonguss to beat other poison types such as Garbodor, Arbok, and especially Skuntank. It makes this set an even better lure. It also messes up Probopass and Bastiodon as well.

So I’m assuming these EVs are to maximize bulk while also boosting Amoonguss’ Special Attack to give it more power (since I did not make the set) and then adding the rest into Speed. Yeah that sounds smart let’s go with that :)

Gurdurr (M) @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpAtk)
Trait: Guts
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Payback

Here’s another underrated set that really should see more use, 4 Attacks Gurdurr(credit to Zebraiken <3). Zebbles had been talking about this set for a while and I decided to give it a go as Knock Off would let me take away Eviolite from Misdreavus and take away Leftovers from walls. This gives Zangoose and Kangaskhan an easier time in breaking down the opposing team. It also hits really hard even without the boosts from Bulk Up(just ask CBB) and is still a great Absol check while also being really bulky.

Drain Punch is once again STAB and is a good move to spam when all fight resists are gone and does big damage to Regirock and Golem which is good for Zangoose as he can then clean much easier. Mach Punch is for priority and is cool to get in a last minute hit on a sweeper so Kangaskhan or Zangoose can come in and finish it off. Ice Punch is my best way to hit Golurk on this team besides Kanga and also hits Eggy pretty hard which is very cool. Knock Off is just a cool move in general especially since this team thrives on getting walls broken down as quickly as possible and that’s much easier when they don’t have leftovers recovery.

The EVs and nature are pretty standard fare for Gurdurr. Not much to say here.
(Testing stuff over Payback.)

Kangaskhan (F) @Life Orb
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpAtk)
Trait: Scrappy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch

Whatever happened to Kangaskhan usage? It’s still an incredible Pokemon and really should be used more. Anywho this is Zangoose’s partner in crime hitting Ghosts like Golurk and Misdreavus because of Scrappy. Fake Out+Double Edge does about 90% to Golurk which makes it easy for Zangoose to kill it with Night Slash and proceed to spam Facade. That’s not all that Kangaskhan is good for though! Kanga is also a very good revenge killer with Fake Out and Sucker Punch knocking out a good portion of NU Sweepers. Kanga is also decently bulky so it can take a hit or two even though it usually doesn’t need to.

I feel like I’ve pretty well explained why Fake Out and Sucker Punch are used so I won’t say anymore on that. Double Edge is a really strong move to spam since even ghosts can’t come in on it safely. It does a large chunk to nearly everything really helps weaken opposing teams. Drain Punch is kinda filler to be honest but sometimes it’s nice to hit things like Regirock on the switch and gain some HP. Mostly though I’ll be spamming Fake Out and Double Edge.

Max Attack for the most power possible and Max Speed + Jolly nature to max Kanga’s speed as it’s a pretty fast Pokemon.

Zangoose (M) @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature: (+Atk, -SpAtk)
Trait: Toxic Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Night Slash
- Quick Attack

THE BOSS. Bow down to Zangoose as its most likely swept you at some point.

This guy right here is the biggest reason why I win most of my games. If I’ve done my job right all his checks are either weakened or eliminated and Zangoose can end the game for me. Once Toxic Orb activates and Toxic Boost kicks in Zangoose turns into an absolute monster. Reaching an incredible attack stat of 493 after Toxic Boost, Zangoose really is the biggest threat in the meta imo.

Facade is Zangoose’s most powerful move after Toxic Boost kicks in and nukes just about everything. Facade Ohko’s almost everything in NU that doesn’t resist it or is immune to it. Close Combat is Zangoose’s best way of getting past Regirock, Bastiodon, and company while Night Slash is cool for picking off weakened Golurk and Misdreavus. Quick Attack is a great move to use on this Zangoose since it can come in on weakened Scarf Braviary’s and other weakened mons and kill it with Quick Attack thus activating Toxic Orb and Toxic Boost all in one go. Then it’s a nice way to avoid Absol and Skuntank’s Sucker Punch and hitting them for good damage.

Standard sweeper spread for Zangoose and I really should not have to explain this lol.

THREATS:

Golurk: I really don’t have anything to switch in on this beast. It’s a good thing most of my team is faster than it and can hit it for good damage as that’s my best way to deal with it. Doesn’t help that Regirock is complete Golurk fodder though.

CONCLUSION
Even though this is a pre-Gothitelle team, I still have had a good amount of success with it even in this meta as well as in the previous one. I hope it was an enjoyable read and feel free to rate/hate/steal/LUVDISC and whatever else you want to do! Thanks for reading ladies and gents!

Importable:

Kangaskhan @ Life Orb
Trait: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 6 Def
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Drain Punch

Zangoose @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Toxic Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 6 Def
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Night Slash
- Quick Attack

Amoonguss @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 180 SAtk / 68 Def / 12 Spd
Modest Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Regirock @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Drain Punch
- Rock Slide

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Trait: Guts
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off

Musharna @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 18 Spd
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Moonlight
- Heal Bell

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Yo MMERF,

This is honestly a really fucking strong team. We talked about it a little on IRC earlier but this team is incredibly weak to Goth, with Amoonguss / Musharna / Gurdurr all losing to it 1vs1 and having to sack either Kanga or Zangoose to revenge it. There are a few small things you can do to fix that; firstly, swapping out LO on Amoonguss to Shed Shell greatly helps you against it, as you can switch out without fear of losing Amoonguss and then getting swept by Samurott (which is a very real threat, as SD Samurott can run over this team given an opportunity like that). You could also try out Payback on Gurdurr and Signal Beam or Psyshock on Musharna, as they're Gothitelle bait otherwise and losing them could open up some huge holes against other Normal-types and Fighting-types, respectively.

You've also got a very noticeable weakness to Golurk and Torterra, who use Regirock as a free switch-in and proceed to wreck your team. Nothing you have can reliably switch in on their powerful Earthquakes and all you can really do is come back and revenge them. There isn't much that can be done about it unless we're gonna change around the entire team, but you can definitely swap out Thunder Wave on Regirock to Ice Punch, which 2HKOes Golurk and has a shot at cleanly OHKOing Torterra on the switch-in which lets it serve as an excellent lure for them.

Although it's not entirely necessary, I'd also think about bumping up the Defense EVs on Amoong to 136, letting you take two Jolly LO Samurott Megahorns after SR. It's situational, yup, but without any precise numbers on what the extra SpA EVs let you KO / 2HKO, I think it'd be better to at least be assured against Samurott who otherwise could be really dangerous.

Shed Shell > Life Orb on Amoonguss
Ice Punch > Thunder Wave on Regirock

Optional
Payback > Knock Off or Ice Punch (preference) on Gurdurr
Signal Beam > Heal Bell or Psyshock > Psychic on Musharna
248 HP / 136 Def / 112 SpA / 12 Spe > the current spread on Amoonguss​

Hope I helped a little bit and GL with your team bro <3 also fantastic choice of name

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey MMF! This is a really solid team and it is hard to follow up what Zebraiken said since he has already given you all the small changes that can help you. Looking at his ideas though, I think that his Musharna idea is good for escaping Gothitelle, but I think that a slow Baton Pass over Calm Mind would accomplish the goal of escaping Gothitelle AND activating Zangoose's Toxic Orb. Gothitelle really wouldn't want to stay in on Zangoose, except for Sub variants. For Gurdurr, Payback should definitely go over Knock Off. For the last of Zebraiken's optional suggestions, Amoonguss should probably use that EV spread, despite the lack of power without Life Orb. Samurott is still a threatening Poke and you could so with something that can handle it well (though Rampardos is something that you wouldn't want to switch in on since Head Smash KOs Amoonguss without a Bold nature at full health).

With the changes out of the way, I'll look at what else can threaten you with these changes. From what I can see, Scarf Rotom formes can cause trouble for you, since they revenge kill Zangoose, and can Trick Musharna and Regirock. Kangaskhan and Amoonguss also won't appreciate Trick either. I'd recommend Golem over Regirock, but it would make Cincinno a lot more threatening. You do have Kangaskhan to revenge kill it, but it can't switch in. Still, Sucker Punch does make up for it and helps deal with Choice Band Golurk. Gurdurr also has a better chance at dealing with Rotom-F, so Golem can defend you from Rotom-S.

You do have a problem dealing with Rain, mostly Gorebyss and Ludicolo, since Surf and Ice Beam can take a huge toll on your team (it's not quite offensive enough to really prevent then from setting up :/). I'd keep most of my priority users in reserve if I were you, since I don't want to change the focus of this great team (another reason that Golem could be more useful). Other than that, I can't find a common Pokemon or team style that overly threatens you (Banded Emboar is painful, but you should be able to handle it with Musharna).

I'll list the changes and the Golem set (though most everyone knows the set by heart by now):

Changes:

Musharna: Baton Pass>Calm Mind
Gurdurr: Payback>Knock Off
248 HP / 136 Def / 112 SpA / 12 Spe > the current spread on Amoonguss (copied from Zeb's post of course)

Optional:

Golem>Regirock

Golem (M) @ Leftovers/Rocky Helmet
Adamant Nature
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Sucker Punch

Again, great team (and title)! Hope I helped! Luvdisc'd!

MMF

@Zebeezy Thanks nig<3 I'm definitely gonna give Shed Shell a go and see how that turns out. And also for sure using Ice Punch on Regirock and Payback on Gurdurr since those are both good ideas. I'll also use that spread on Amoonguss since Dingo has some weird spreads :<. As far as Musharna goes, I'll probably use Psyshock for reasons we discussed on IRC. Thanks for the rate brah <3

@whitedmist Thanks for the rate dude! Yeah I agree with you about rain but mostly its me attacking at every chance to avoid them getting a chance to set up and then abusing priority to revenge kill their sweepers. And Rotom-S is pretty annoying but usually I try to get up SR as fast as possible and then once again lol use my priority but I definitely agree that its an annoying Pokemon to face :/. I'll give the Golem a try and see how that works out as well!

<MMF> oh chaotica thanks for going to rate my new team right now ;)
<chaotica_mortis> Lol, I'll check it out.
So, my RMT experience isn't quite the best, but I figured I'd check this out both because you're a cool dude and obviously because you asked me to. After looking through it and reading my fellow NU brothers' rates, I have to say there's not much I could really contribute to this. I definitely like the team though; your use of Kangaskhan and offensive Amoonguss are perfect examples of how diverse this tier can be. I'll probably c/p this team into PS just to have a little fun with it on the ladder (with Shed Shell on Amoonguss, of course). Nice work, solid team! +1 Luvdisc

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
OK I just wanna say this is a really cool team, and that LO Amoonguss is amazing <3 It's a shame a lot of its effectiveness is gone now that Gothitelle is out, so yeah you should probably be running Shed Shell on that. Also concurring with the Ev spread change, since I have long forgotten what my EVs were for, Zebs seems better.

MMF

@Chaotica: Well regardless thanks for looking at it! I appreciate it <3

@Dongo: Yeah man I'm gonna miss the power LO brought but its still a really solid set even if it was random EVs(-_-). <3

Keep the rates coming people! And or nice posts if you're into that as well :D

It's really interesting to see how one mon (Gothitelle) is causing the tier to warp, especially in the changes you have had to make. This looks to be a solid team, from my sporadic entries into NU I know that Musharna is a goddamn TANK. My random rain team would certainly have a hard time breaking through Gurdurr as well.

Also Kanghaskan is a sweet choice, mucho props bro. I really don't have any changes to make, it seems like you and everyone else has that under control.

MMF

Yeah its pretty crazy lol. Musharna is definitely a really bulky Pokemon thats for sure. Thanks!

I'd switch heal bell for signal beam on musharna, because Mandibuzz could sweep the entire team with 2 nasty plots if he gets a free switch against musharna! And sash absol could be a threat Totò i if he gets a swords dance up so you would be able to break his sash and mach punch for the ko with gurdurr. Signal beam would be a better choice because you would even fall against CM gardevoir if he carries shadow ball psychic reflect Cm so zangoose would't kill with facade and he could ohko him back. Finally Your team doesn't really need heal bell support as 2 pokes rely on status to work better. Hope it helped you...
Sorry for misspells but english isn't my primary language XD

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'd switch heal bell for signal beam on musharna, because Mandibuzz could sweep the entire team with 2 nasty plots if he gets a free switch against musharna! And sash absol could be a threat Totò i if he gets a swords dance up so you would be able to break his sash and mach punch for the ko with gurdurr. Signal beam would be a better choice because you would even fall against CM gardevoir if he carries shadow ball psychic reflect Cm so zangoose would't kill with facade and he could ohko him back. Finally Your team doesn't really need heal bell support as 2 pokes rely on status to work better. Hope it helped you...
Sorry for misspells but english isn't my primary language XD
Mandibuzz is RU, no one uses Focus Sash Absol, and Heal Bell helps reset the Toxic damage so that Gurdurr and Zangoose don't get worn down quite so quickly. I can't understand the rest of what you said, but rest assured, I doubt any Gardevoir carries that particular moveset.

For a more positive note: MMF, you can now revert Amoonguss' item back to Lefties, and Gurdurr can use Knock Off or Bulk Up again! :D Good-bye Gothitelle!

MMF

Oh yeah! Thanks dude I completely forgot about that. This team can function a little better now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)