move 2: Draco Meteor
move 3: Hurricane
move 4: Flash Cannon / Yawn / Flip Turn / Surf / Dragon Pulse
item: Life Orb/Choice Specs
ability: Swift Swim
nature: Modest/Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Kingdra has deadly cleaning potential under rain, since not many Pokemon can handle the threat of a rain-boosted Water attacks. it a neutrality to Grass also makes it a Swift Swim sweeper not halted by Rillaboom.

* Hurricane is perfectly accurate under rain and allows Kingdra to hit Grass types a lot harder than its STAB options. During Dynamax, it turns into Max Airstream, which boosts Kingdra's speed.

* Flash Cannon allows Kingdra to threaten Fairy-types, and during Dynamax it turns into Max Steelspike, which boosts Kingdra's Defense. However, It is worth noting that a neutral Hydro Pump hits harder than a Super effective Flash Cannon.

* Yawn can force switches and is especially notable for crippling Dynamax Pokemon with sleep should they decide to attack with the drowsy status. Max Guard is useful for stalling out opposing Dynamax or field conditions.

* Dragon Pulse and Surf are safer STAB options that provide a reliable move when the power of Hydro Pump or the stat drop of Draco Meteor are not required . Dragon Pulse and Surf turn into Max Wyrmwind and Max Geyser, both of which have their uses. Max Wyrmwind enables Kingdra to take Physical attacks much better, while Max Geyser sets up its own rain should Drizzle support should not be available.

* Since Kingdra forces a lot of switches, Flip Turn enables it to keep up momentum while also safely switching into a counter to the Kingdra switch -in.

* Life Orb gives Kingdra gives a consistent boost during Dynamax. Choice Specs give Kingdra a much more noticeable power increase, however, with Hydro Pump OHKOing Togekiss and having a chance to 2HKO physically defensive Ferrothorn in rain. It also worth noting that Choice Specs boosted Draco Meteor hits harder than Max Wyrmwind, so against targets like Dynamax Dragapalt, Choice Specs Draco Meteor is better.

EV Builds
========

* Maximum Speed and Special Attack maximizes Kingdra's offensive presence under rain. A Modest nature is preferred maximizes power, but a Timid nature is worth considering to outspeed +1 Jolly Cinderace at the cost of power.

General Team Options

* Kingdra needs check to Fairy types and Water types, especially Azumarill, Primarina, and Lapras, which resists its STAB attacks and aren't weak to its coverage moves. Wallbreakers and stallbreakers are strong encouraged, since Kingdra will struggle to break through the likes of Porygon2, Chansey, Toxapex, and Ferrothorn.

* Either Politoed and Pelipper is strongly recommended since Kingdra requires rain support to be effective. While Kingdra does not strictly require Drizzle since it can set its own rain via Dynamax, it does prevent one from having to dedicate their Dynamax to Kingdra for non-Drizzle matches. Pelipper offers a slow U-turn to get Kingdra in safely as well as a STAB Hurricane as a secondary way of threatening Grass types, while Politoed is bulkier and offers Perish Song as a way to close games.

Rain Setters: :Politoed:/:Pelipper:

Fairy-type Checks: :Cinderace:/ :Ferrothorn:/ :Toxapex:/ :Excadrill:/:Scizor:

Wallbreakers/Stallbreakers: :Cinderace:/ :Darmanitan-Galar: :Togekiss:/ :Hydreigon:

Water-type Checks: :Rillaboom:/ :Ferrothorn:/ :Rotom-Wash:/ :Magnezone:

Last edited:

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
Couple of comments, I know its a work in progress so its more of just guiding thoughts.

1. For the special set, Assault Vest should be a slashed item, since it will beat out all basically all special attacking non-Blissey/Chanseys when Dynamaxed and you have no support moves included anyways. Also, for the fourth moveslot, I'd consider slashing in something else that isnt a weaker STAB option (flash cannon comes to mind to give +Def which can be useful, maybe even clear smog for Max Ooze +SpA boosts when cleaning)

2. Kingdra has a very serviceable physical side. Its special damage output is obviously more powerful, but physical gives access to strong Flip Turn for pivoting and Dive for Dynamax turn stalling. Similar to Seismitoad having both options. Consider a physical dynamax sweeper set. It definitely wont be the primary set but it is good for catching teams off guard with their Blissey checks and whatnot. Maybe something like this?

name: Physical Swimmer
move 1: Liquidation
move 2: Outrage
move 3: Iron Head / Bounce
move 4: Flip Turn / Dive
item: Life Orb / Choice Band
ability: Swift Swin
nature: Modest

3. Kingdra actually has a surprisingly good support movepool. Id consider in set comments (maybe not as slashes on the copypaste but in commments) discussing sub/disable, yawn use. It may not survive the test of time but worth mentioning.

4. Some of your set formatting is off. Here is the edited formatting for analyses, using your current set.

name: Swift Swim Sweeper
move 1: Hydro Pump
move 4: Dragon Pulse / Surf
item: Life Orb / Choice Specs
nature: Modest

(edited the EV naming format, adding spaces before and after slashes, order of EVs)

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sorry, got a bit caught up in Mario Maker last night (granted, I didnt fall asleep either lol), So I'ma check this now!

Anyways, the metagame has been starting to stabalize a bit more, and with that, I think Kingdra's set could use a good change. Here's how I'd organize it:

[SET]
move 4: Flash Cannon / Flip Turn / Surf / Dragon Pulse
item: Life Orb
nature: Modest/Timid

So, here's my reasoning for the slashes.

- Flash Cannon is really nice for that defense boost, which is helpful against physical stuff like Mimikyu.

- Flip Turn is really handy for turning Kingdra into an emergency pivot

- Surf is just a reliable water move, and Dragon Pulse is a reliable Dragon move. Pretty fillerish moves, but the first 3 moves are far more important anyways.

- I made Life Orb the main slash. I don't object to making other items a slash depending on QC, but Kingdra REALLY needs that power, especially when Dynamaxed. AV usage in particular seems to have collapsed because of that.

I think you need to get rid of Clear Smog, the SpA boost is alright but its really weak as an attack, which can totally lose Kingdra momentum.

-I think you need to split up your bullet points a lot more. For example, I think Hurricane and all the slot 4 moves need their own bullet point, as they're more complicated than just "they hit hard".

-I think it's worth mentioning as the first bullet that Kingdra is a swift swimmer that isn't weak to grass, which is a major key to its success over the other swift swimmers at the monment: its less weak to Rillaboom (especially when Dynamaxed).

-Make sure your teammates are in sprite form. You can make them into sprite form by doing :pokemon:, with the Pokemon name being inbetween the : :

- While Politoed and Pelipper are certainly worth their own section in teammates, I think they actually are NOT required for Kingdra. In fact, you'll notice in the home latest usage stats that Kingdra has dramatically more usage than Politoed and Pelipper. This is because Kingdra can set up its own rain easily with Dynamax anyways.

- You're gonna need more for teammates. In particular, I'd bring up really bulky Water-types like Lapras, Azumarill, and Primarina (the latter are immune to Dragon moves in particular, the former uses Freeze Dry a lot) as pretty problematic Pokemon that are very good at counter Dynamaxing you. Rillaboom does a decent job vs them (less so against Lapras obviously), Magnezone can usually switch into them since they aren't usually gonna use Water moves vs Kingdra. Ferrothorn does well too.

- Last but not least... I'd hold off on adding physical Kingdra. Besides Flip Turn (which has pretty good usage), not a single physical move even reaches 6% usage. I'm not saying it isn't worth testing, but its basically irrelevant in this current metagame (hell, Sniper and Yawn are used more than physical Kingdra, though those two are a whole different can of worms I haven't actually seen). It's basically exactly the kind of set we'd add later if it ends up being viable after playtesting.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok finally got some time! Sorry, meant to check this yesterday!

So I got some more changes in mind, most of which are based off of current season changes.

- For the drizzle stuff, you don't have to put them under specfic teammates. General teammates applies to all sets, and since Kingdra only has one set, just include them with the other teammates. I'd still put that paragraph you wrote in general teammates regardless though (while removing the sprites from the paragraph, the sprites are for when you list teammates)

- I'd just drop Assault Vest from the set, it doesn't even have 1% usage, because Kingdra needs all the power it can get.

-OK this is a weird and potentially controversial one, so I don't mind if other QC members object to this... but Yawn might need to be slashed in. Yawn got a HUGE increase in usage this season, probably because as a filler move it can screw up opposing Dynamax before Kingdra goes down via sleep. I don't think ignoring a move with that kind of usage is good for us. To handle this, I'd slash it in after Flash Cannon, and deslash Dragon Pulse. Keep the Dragon Pulse mention though, it actually has almost 10% usage, this is just for making the slashes prettier lol.

- I'd remove Gengar as a teammate, its not a very relevant Pokemon.

After my checks, I'll give this a QC stamp!

Ok finally got some time! Sorry, meant to check this yesterday!

So I got some more changes in mind, most of which are based off of current season changes.

- For the drizzle stuff, you don't have to put them under specfic teammates. General teammates applies to all sets, and since Kingdra only has one set, just include them with the other teammates. I'd still put that paragraph you wrote in general teammates regardless though (while removing the sprites from the paragraph, the sprites are for when you list teammates)

- I'd just drop Assault Vest from the set, it doesn't even have 1% usage, because Kingdra needs all the power it can get.

-OK this is a weird and potentially controversial one, so I don't mind if other QC members object to this... but Yawn might need to be slashed in. Yawn got a HUGE increase in usage this season, probably because as a filler move it can screw up opposing Dynamax before Kingdra goes down via sleep. I don't think ignoring a move with that kind of usage is good for us. To handle this, I'd slash it in after Flash Cannon, and deslash Dragon Pulse. Keep the Dragon Pulse mention though, it actually has almost 10% usage, this is just for making the slashes prettier lol.

- I'd remove Gengar as a teammate, its not a very relevant Pokemon.

After my checks, I'll give this a QC stamp!
Implemented the changes.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
I was actually going to bring up Yawn if it wasn't brought up earlier, it is 100% worth including since Kingdra's other moves in that slot aren't super high value either and Yawn utility on an offensive Pokemon is fantastic. The fact that it provides Max Guard is also useful if only for positioning that it wouldn't have otherwise, so I'd add mention of that too.

* Flash Cannon allows Kingdra to threaten Fairy types, and when Dynamaxed, it turns into Max Steelspike, which boosts Kingdra's Defense.
Hydro Pump actually hits harder at neutral than Flash Cannon does super-effectively so it's slightly misleading to say Flash Cannon is for threatening Fairy-types (it does hit Primarina and Azumarill but Hurricane hits them even harder). Flash Cannon's utility is largely from what Max Steelspike provides so I'd change that wording here. Max Steelspike does outdamage Max Geyser out of rain though, but you typically aren't using Flash Cannon itself unless you need consistent damage against Primarina/Azumarill out of rain and don't want to miss Hurricane.

As for teammates, I'd maybe include Scizor as a Fairy-type check but otherwise this looks fine. Also, Swift Swim is misspelled in the ability section so fix that real quick. Otherwise, consider this QC 2/2 after this.

I was actually going to bring up Yawn if it wasn't brought up earlier, it is 100% worth including since Kingdra's other moves in that slot aren't super high value either and Yawn utility on an offensive Pokemon is fantastic. The fact that it provides Max Guard is also useful if only for positioning that it wouldn't have otherwise, so I'd add mention of that too.

Hydro Pump actually hits harder at neutral than Flash Cannon does super-effectively so it's slightly misleading to say Flash Cannon is for threatening Fairy-types (it does hit Primarina and Azumarill but Hurricane hits them even harder). Flash Cannon's utility is largely from what Max Steelspike provides so I'd change that wording here. Max Steelspike does outdamage Max Geyser out of rain though, but you typically aren't using Flash Cannon itself unless you need consistent damage against Primarina/Azumarill out of rain and don't want to miss Hurricane.

As for teammates, I'd maybe include Scizor as a Fairy-type check but otherwise this looks fine. Also, Swift Swim is misspelled in the ability section so fix that real quick. Otherwise, consider this QC 2/2 after this.
Implemented.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/1
move 4: Flash Cannon / Yawn / Flip Turn / Surf (spacing)
item: Life Orb / Choice Specs
ability: Swift Swim
nature: Modest / Timid

[SET COMMENTS]

* Kingdra has deadly cleaning potential under rain, since not many Pokemon can handle the threat of a rain-boosted Water attacks. It's typing grants it a Its neutrality to Grass, making also makes it a Swift Swim sweeper not halted by Rillaboom.

* Hurricane is perfectly accurate under rain and it allows Kingdra to hit Grass-types (AH) a lot harder than its STAB options. When Dynamaxed During Dynamax, it turns into Max Airstream, which boosts Kingdra's Speed by one.

* Flash Cannon allows Kingdra to threaten Fairy-types, (AH) and when Dynamaxed during Dynamax, it turns into Max Steelspike, which boosts Kingdra's Defense. However, it is worth noting that a neutral Hydro Pump hits harder than a 2x weak super effective Flash Cannon.

* Yawn can force switches and is especially notable for crippling Dynamax Pokemon with sleep should they decide to attack with the drowsy status. It also allows Max Guard which also is useful for stalling out opposing Dynamax or field conditions.

* Dragon Pulse and Surf are safer STAB options that provide a reliable move when the power of Hydro Pump or the stat drop of Draco Meteor are not required. Dragon Pulse and Surf turn into Max Wyrmwind and Max Geyser, both of which have their uses. Max Wyrmwind lowers attack of opposing Pokemon, enabling enables Kingdra to take physical attacks much better, while Max Geyeser sets the rain, which Geyser allows Kingdra to set up its own rain should Drizzle support not be available.

* Since Kingdra does forces a lot of switches, Flip Turn enables Kingdra it to keep up momentum while also enabling a safely switching into a counter to the Kingdra switch-in. (AH)

* Life Orb gives Kingdra gives a consistent boost, even when Dynamaxed during Dynamax. Choice Specs give Kingdra a much more noticeable power increase, however, as a Choice Specs with Hydro Pump can OHKOing Togekiss and even has having a chance to 2HKO physically defensive Ferrothorn in rain. It also worth noting that Choice Specs-boosted Draco Meteor hits harder than Max Wyrmwind, so against targets like Dynamax Dragapalt, Choice Specs Dragapult, Draco Meteor is better.

EV Builds
========

* Maximum Speed and Special Attack to maximize Kingdra's damage output offensive presence under rain. A Modest nature maximizes is preferred to maximize power, but a Timid nature is worth considering to outspeed +1 Jolly Cinderace at the cost of power.

[General Team Options]
========

* Kingdra needs check to Fairy-types (AH) and Water-types, (AH) especially Azumarill, Primarina, and Lapras, (AC) since they resists which resist its STAB attacks and aren't weak to its coverage moves. Wallbreakers and stallbreakers are strong encouraged, since Kingdra will struggle to break through the likes of Porygon2, Chansey, Toxapex, and Ferrothorn.

*One of Rither Politoed and Pelipper is strongly recommended, (AC) since Kingdra requires rain support to be effective. While Kingdra does not strictly require Drizzle, (AC) since it can set its own rain via Dynamax, it does mean prevent one will have from having to dedicate their Dynamax to Kingdra for non-Drizzle matches. Pelipper offers a slow U-turn to get Kingdra in safely as well as a STAB Hurricane as a secondary way of threatening Grass-types, (AH, comma) while Politoed is bulkier and offers Perish Song as a way to close games.

Rain Setters: :Politoed:/:Pelipper:

Fairy-type (AH) Checks: :Cinderace:/ :Ferrothorn:/ :Toxapex:/ :Excadrill:/:Scizor:

Wallbreakers/Stallbreakers: :Cinderace:/ :Darmanitan-Galar: :Togekiss:/ :Hydreigon:

Water-type (AH) Checks: :Rillaboom:/ :Ferrothorn:/ :Rotom-Wash:/ :Magnezone:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)