Kingdra (Yawn + Dragon Dance)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kingdra has access to an incredibly frustrating move to deal with that can phase or sleep an opponent; Yawn. Yawn is only really mentioned in one of the analysis that Kingdra currently has. I'm not entirely sure if this merits its own set, but as Kingdra has only one weakness, Kingdra's Yawn can surely rack up quite a bit of residual damage in Tandem with Stealth Rock/Spikes on the field.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/kingdra

Name: Yawn + Dragon Dance
move 1: Yawn
move 2: Dragon Dance
move 3: Waterfall
move 4: Outrage
item: Leftovers
Nature: Impish
evs: 100 HP / 52 Atk / 200 Def / 156 Spe
Ability: Swift Swim

Why this Set Deserves to be on site:

- Can rack up residual damage quicker than any of the other sets via Yawn while still being able to effectively sweep when needed.
- Yawn is a great phazing move and there is only mention of it in an Ubers set, and even then it's just slashed in.
- Unlike other sweepers, this set can phaze as well as sweep
- Can simply phaze out threats to the set until they die from residual damage (so long as they keep switching from Yawn).

Counters and Teammates:
- Bulky waters (especially Vaporeon because of Water Absorb) can be an annoyance to this set. If sleep clause is already in effect, then you can't phaze them out with Yawn. Skarmory also poses a problem to this set, as it can Whirlwind away Kingdra and wall it all day long. As such, Magnezone makes an excellent partner for Kingdra, as does Rotom-C. Magnezone can trap and KO Skarmory with Thunderbolt, and if running HP Grass can wreck Swampert.
- Scarf Flygon can pose a problem to this set as well, as Outrage rips chunks out of your health (though you can survive one Outrage from scarfed Flygon and OHKO back with your own Outrage, assuming x2 Leftovers recovery upon entering and a switch to Flygon and Stealth Rock damage). Again, Magnezone can come in on choiced Outrage and can deal with Flygon to an extent (aka Explosion). Mixed Attacker variants of Jirachi and Scarf Jirachi make decent partners to this set. Jirachi can come in on an Outrage, then KO with Ice Punch. Mixed Jirachi deserves special mention because it packs Grass Knot which can deal efficiently with Swampert, Vaporeon, and Suicune to an extent, Thunderbolt can deal with Skarmory, and Ice Punch can take out Flygon.
- Spikes support is very useful when paired with this set as it can force a lot of switches. As such, Forretress or Roserade make great partners to this set (esp. Roserade who can deal with Bulky Waters and HP Fire Skarmory's ass to hell).

Additional Comments:
- Can survive Scarfed Flygon's Outrage and Scarfed Heatran's Dragon Pulse while OHKO'ing Flygon back with Outrage and OHKO'ing Heatran back with a +1 Waterfall.
- 156 Speed EVs allows you to outspeed all +1 speed base 100's after two Dragon Dances, positive-natured base 115's after one Dragon Dance, and all neutral speed natured base 70's (Metagross, Breloom, Skarmory).

substitute is better just because of yawn being a two turn move and the easiest way to get up a DD is under a sub. if i recall there is a yawn slash on one of the rain dance sets.I don't think this needs an analysis.

Yawn is already mentioned in OC and since it doesn't really help scout for checks, counters, etc, it's inferior to Substitute and should stay in OC imho. I don't see why I would risk my Kingdra getting para'd or burned just because my opponent decides to use its check as sleep fodder (speaking of which, Celebi is a hard counter to this set).

The spread is really the only thing preventing me from completely dissing this. Is it really necessary to run those EVs just for Yawn? I mean, Chesto + Rest or ResTalk can run the same EVs in order to take a hit from Flygon / Heatran, but they're not vulnerable to status and the former set would love to take hits better so it can pull off more boosts.

remlabmez

@dacopboss
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Yawn is already mentioned in OC and since it doesn't really help scout for checks, counters, etc, it's inferior to Substitute and should stay in OC imho. I don't see why I would risk my Kingdra getting para'd or burned just because my opponent decides to use its check as sleep fodder (speaking of which, Celebi is a hard counter to this set).

The spread is really the only thing preventing me from completely dissing this. Is it really necessary to run those EVs just for Yawn? I mean, Chesto + Rest or ResTalk can run the same EVs in order to take a hit from Flygon / Heatran, but they're not vulnerable to status and the former set would love to take hits better so it can pull off more boosts.
i love you for making my job easier, but yeah i agree with this post I already had AC or OC mention in my mind when i looked at the topic name

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yawn is already mentioned in OC, and it is there where it should stay -- there's no actual need to habilitate another place on the site for a set of Kingdra that does pretty much the same thing that the standard DD does, but with a different move slashed.

I feel that there's no need to follow the QC procedures and wait for the third rejection to come in in order to get the presented set finalized, so I'm going to lock this now. However, acid_paradox, thank you for having proposed this anyways and feel free to try again in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)