Kirby and the Magic Star [1800 and rising]

Introduction:

Hey guys, this is hobohawk here, with a new team, based around Reuniclus. Reuniclus is one of the scariest Pokemon ever to face late game. You have your sweepers out, they can't OHKO it, up goes Trick Room, and gg. You lose. So this team is built around this blob and tries to get rid of it's counters for a TR sweep. The name is based around my female Jellicent and Jirachi, who are both essential members of my team.

Team At a Glance:

Obviously to make a team based around TR Reuniclus, I needed TR Reuniclus.

I followed up by thinking of an anti-lead that could set up Stealth Rocks, to net important KOs, and could take our opposing leads. I chose Jirachi.

Reuniclus is bothered by other walls, such as Jellicent, which require more than one hit to take out. And in the late game, Reuniclus generally takes a big hit from something first, and then gets up TR and can't afford to take another hit. So to take out common pokemon such as Jellicent, I brought in Lucario and the stall breaker, Kyurem-Black.

Now my team looks pretty weak to Rain and Keldeo right now. So I opted to bring in Jellicent. And lastly I chose Tyranitar because it removes Rain as well as some Pokemon that Lucario(without Ice Punch) can't hit.

Team Analysis:

Jirachi @ Shuca Berry
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 60 HP / 252 SAtk / 196 Spd
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock--->U-Turn
- Flash Cannon
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Jirachi is so versatile, it's frightening. It can run a Choice Scarf set, a SubCM set, or even a lead set.
This set I chose here is used to set up Stealth Rocks as well as damaging other common leads.
Flash Cannon hits Mamoswine extremely hard, OHKOing all variants.
Thunder hits Politoed extremely hard, as well as having that massive 60% chance for paralysis.
HP Ice nails Garchomp and Landorus-T, thinking that Earthquake will take me out.
The given EVs allow me to outspeed Jolly Mamoswine, and other major threats. Special Attack is maximized and the rest are thrown into HP.
Importance: 8/10

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 194 HP / 252 Atk / 64 SAtk
Brave Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Crunch
- Roar--->Stealth Rock
Importance: 5/10

Tyranitar is just frightening to face. I mean, it's freaking huge and it eats people.
Ice Beam hits Gliscor and Landorus-T, while Fire Blast roasts Ferrothorn, thinking they're safe. Crunch because usually I don't need Pursuit, and Roar is for beating Baton Pass teams and phazing in general.
The given EVs allow me to OHKO standard Gliscor with Ice Beam, as well as maximizing Attack and keeping as much bulk as possible.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- ExtremeSpeed/Bullet Punch
- Close Combat
- Crunch

You ain't got nothing over Lucario. His role in the team is to take out Jellicent as well as bulky Ghost and Psychic types. Obviously that means Crunch>Ice Punch. This is a pretty standard set, although I often run Bullet Punch to ruin Gengar. I'm currently running a Jolly nature, although I don't know why.
Crunch is his main attack, although CC spam is always useful. Extremespeed is not used too often. Justified is the preferred ability for free attack boosts at the cost of minimal HP.
Importance: 9/10

Jellicent (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball

Jellicent is a big counter to rain teams because he easily beats out Keldeo and the Will-O-Wisps wreck most Breloom and the like. His main role is to survive and annoy the other team, as well as sponging super effective weak Grass attacks and absorbing Hydro Pumps.
The EVs are to maximize HP and Special Defense.
Importance: 9/10

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
The star of the show: REUNICLUS! To be honest, he was the inspiration for the team. The EVs maximize his bulk so he can set up TR and sweep. Scizor hinders his progress though. The moves chosen provide coverage to hit Ferrothorn, Keldeo, Jellicent, and other threats to my team. If you've never used Reuniclus, you probably should try now.
Importance: 10/10

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SAtk
Rash Nature
- Substitute
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
Importance: 6/10

He is the glue that holds the team together, by tearing apart stall teams and ruining rain teams. This beast has massive coverage and huge attacking stats. The mixed set here, wrecks some teams, by itself. Earth Power ruins Heatran while Ice Beam decimates Garchomp while behind a sub. Fusion Bolt tears apart rain teams and Politoed. Kyurem-B can tank Bullet Punch and Mach Punch from Scizor and Breloom respectively, but the main problem is the SR weakness.
252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-B: 257-304 (56.6 - 66.96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Major Threats

Scizor scares me so much. The only Pokemon that beats it is Jellicent and that's assuming it doesn't have Acrobatics. Any suggestions regarding Scizor would be nice.

Breloom is also quite dangerous, as his Mach Punch and Bullet Seed to a number on most of my team.

Conclusion

My biggest questions have yet to be resolved. Do I keep Kyurem and add a spinner, or do I scrap it, or do I ditch Tyranitar? I hope I can improve this team especially since I've been losing a lot recently. SubCM Jirachi beat me because of a few misplays, as well as my own overpredictions. I've been having trouble with Rain teams even though, on paper, I should be fine. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
You may want to run HP fire over another move on reuniclus (Shadow ball/Psychic) to deal with Scizor, as well as outspeed fellow reuniclus under TR.

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
There would be no Speed difference because he's running a 0 Speed IV, md5793. Besides, there's a vital purpose for all of Reuniclus' current moves. You can't afford to go without STAB, dropping Focus Blast would leave you with HUGE holes in your coverage, and dropping Shadow Ball would leave Reuniclus unable to touch Latias and opposing Reuniclus.

Jirachi's item is pretty interesting, Since you didn't say why you use Shuca Berry, I suggest using Air Balloon.

Ttar has roar, but Tyranitar isn't a good phazer, just give it Earthquake or Stone Edge unless your paranoid about baton pass teams. Hippowdon does phazing way better, but remember the fact that the hippo has a sligthly lower attack and miserable sp atk, but still, Hippowdon has great survivability, so you might want to think about it.

Heatran does the same thing your Kyurem-B does, and it's a good Scizor counter too. I suggest using the offensive set.

:) :3

Whats wrong with going without STAB?
The sheer power of STAB is going to be missed, and besides, there are still a good number of pokémons that can wall reuniclus even it drops STAB such as Gastrodon, the fatass blobs and rare threats like Screen Virizion, to give a few.

hello.

the overall concept of the team is intriguing; however, there are a quite a few underlying flaws in your team which prevent it from being as optimal as possible. for starters, your team is absolutely boned by dragons and ground-types primarily due to the lack of a resistance. yache/sash chomp gets free set up on several pokemon, and the lack of a ground immunity means you're sol. dragonite earns set up on jellicent among other opposing pokemon like breloom, and your plan of action is to thrash like a raging gyarados and click the red x on the top right of your screen. these weaknesses are also exaggerated due to the lack of a choice scarfer which creates a nasty weakness to practically any pokemon with a set-up move. also, you also don't seem to be able to breakthrough opposing jirachis which is reuniclus's #1 counter. besides the aforementioned weaknesses, your team also has some redundancy and substandard sets. the reason optimal teambuilds utilize a lucario is for an offensive check to scizor which jellicent also does on your team (less applicable due to acrobatics rising in usage, however, still relevant). jellicent also seems very out of place as a whole because it ruins any offensive momentum you would have had due to its low speed, and it just gives a lot of pokemon on the other team set up opportunities which you cannot afford to give on such an HO-oriented build. barring the redundancy, your tyranitar set just seems very mediocre. it's basically a bastard child between a mixtar and an adv roartar or some shit, and i don't really get the purpose of it on your team currently besides "being there just to be there". to help solve your problems, i have a few solutions for your team. these changes may seem plentiful and dramatic, but it's probably for the better if you wish to succeed with the team. first of all, i recommend replacing jellicent with rotom-w. rotom-w does quite a few things jellicent cannot do. primarily, it supplies you with a ground immunity and check to several pokemon like garchomp, opposing jellicent, etc. rotom-w can help you maintain momentum with volt switch and helps your nasty weakness to ground-types by being a reliable switch into landorus-t, hippowdon, mamoswine, etc. which you currently lack. rotom-w can also burn things like jirachi to help open up an endgame reuni sweep. a set of hydro pump / volt switch / will-o-wisp / pain split and a specially defensive spread with 28 spa ev's to ohko gliscor is probably best. rotom-w does make you lose out on a couple of things however. jellicent provided a solid keldeo switch while rotom-w is very shaky. also, your weakness to fighting-types is exaggerated due to losing your immunity, and the breloom weakness is worse than ever. replacing kyurem-b with a latias gives you a solid fighting-type check. latias has similar resistances to kyurem-b which keeps it somewhat the same, but the added fighting resistance gives you the ability to beat keldeo and breloom along with others like terrakion which your team desperately needs. additionally, you still maintain your ability to beat thundurus-t which is what kyurem-b did previously. although having two psychic types (jirachi's lack of a dark/ghost weakness make it not count) may seem offsetting, you can use this to your advantage using a lure set on latias to prepare for a reuniclus sweep. a set of draco meteor / psyshock / trick / roost @ flame orb with max spa / spe lures in opposing scizor, jirachi, tyranitar, etc., all of which check reuniclus as well. you then give them a nasty burn on the switch which gives reuniclus leeway later in the game. of course this set requires some skill and prediction, but i've found it's very effective. these changes still do not fix your weakness to set-up sweepers. remember how i said tyranitar's set seemed subpar? try stealth rock instead of roar on it and then making jirachi a choice scarfer with the moves of iron head / ice punch / u-turn / filler (healing wish, trick, fire punch, etc.) this gives you a way to reliably kill opposing set up users and then makes tyranitar's set much less.. bleh.

i hope i helped. good luck.

Thanks for all the great replies.

Jirachi's item is pretty interesting, Since you didn't say why you use Shuca Berry, I suggest using Air Balloon.

Ttar has roar, but Tyranitar isn't a good phazer, just give it Earthquake or Stone Edge unless your paranoid about baton pass teams. Hippowdon does phazing way better, but remember the fact that the hippo has a sligthly lower attack and miserable sp atk, but still, Hippowdon has great survivability, so you might want to think about it.

Heatran does the same thing your Kyurem-B does, and it's a good Scizor counter too. I suggest using the offensive set.

:) :3
You know, if people knew I was running Shuca Berry and instead running Air Balloon, they wouldn't leave in their Landorus-T. And that wouldn't allow me to net a first turn KO on their SR user. The whole point is not to have your opponents knowing my sets. I could replace Roar with Stealth Rock, if I really needed to, and this would allow me to run another coverage move on Jirachi, or U-Turn.

hello.

the overall concept of the team is intriguing; however, there are a quite a few underlying flaws in your team which prevent it from being as optimal as possible. for starters, your team is absolutely boned by dragons and ground-types primarily due to the lack of a resistance. yache/sash chomp gets free set up on several pokemon, and the lack of a ground immunity means you're sol. dragonite earns set up on jellicent among other opposing pokemon like breloom, and your plan of action is to thrash like a raging gyarados and click the red x on the top right of your screen. these weaknesses are also exaggerated due to the lack of a choice scarfer which creates a nasty weakness to practically any pokemon with a set-up move. also, you also don't seem to be able to breakthrough opposing jirachis which is reuniclus's #1 counter. besides the aforementioned weaknesses, your team also has some redundancy and substandard sets. the reason optimal teambuilds utilize a lucario is for an offensive check to scizor which jellicent also does on your team (less applicable due to acrobatics rising in usage, however, still relevant). jellicent also seems very out of place as a whole because it ruins any offensive momentum you would have had due to its low speed, and it just gives a lot of pokemon on the other team set up opportunities which you cannot afford to give on such an HO-oriented build. barring the redundancy, your tyranitar set just seems very mediocre. it's basically a bastard child between a mixtar and an adv roartar or some shit, and i don't really get the purpose of it on your team currently besides "being there just to be there". to help solve your problems, i have a few solutions for your team. these changes may seem plentiful and dramatic, but it's probably for the better if you wish to succeed with the team. first of all, i recommend replacing jellicent with rotom-w. rotom-w does quite a few things jellicent cannot do. primarily, it supplies you with a ground immunity and check to several pokemon like garchomp, opposing jellicent, etc. rotom-w can help you maintain momentum with volt switch and helps your nasty weakness to ground-types by being a reliable switch into landorus-t, hippowdon, mamoswine, etc. which you currently lack. rotom-w can also burn things like jirachi to help open up an endgame reuni sweep. a set of hydro pump / volt switch / will-o-wisp / pain split and a specially defensive spread with 28 spa ev's to ohko gliscor is probably best. rotom-w does make you lose out on a couple of things however. jellicent provided a solid keldeo switch while rotom-w is very shaky. also, your weakness to fighting-types is exaggerated due to losing your immunity, and the breloom weakness is worse than ever. replacing kyurem-b with a latias gives you a solid fighting-type check. latias has similar resistances to kyurem-b which keeps it somewhat the same, but the added fighting resistance gives you the ability to beat keldeo and breloom along with others like terrakion which your team desperately needs. additionally, you still maintain your ability to beat thundurus-t which is what kyurem-b did previously. although having two psychic types (jirachi's lack of a dark/ghost weakness make it not count) may seem offsetting, you can use this to your advantage using a lure set on latias to prepare for a reuniclus sweep. a set of draco meteor / psyshock / trick / roost @ flame orb with max spa / spe lures in opposing scizor, jirachi, tyranitar, etc., all of which check reuniclus as well. you then give them a nasty burn on the switch which gives reuniclus leeway later in the game. of course this set requires some skill and prediction, but i've found it's very effective. these changes still do not fix your weakness to set-up sweepers. remember how i said tyranitar's set seemed subpar? try stealth rock instead of roar on it and then making jirachi a choice scarfer with the moves of iron head / ice punch / u-turn / filler (healing wish, trick, fire punch, etc.) this gives you a way to reliably kill opposing set up users and then makes tyranitar's set much less.. bleh.

i hope i helped. good luck.
I really think the Latias set will help, so I'll probably try this. The one problem with this set, is that it forces me to take a U-Turn from Scizor, and receive a Choice Band. So I could try Psycho Shift over Trick.

Latias @ Flame Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Psycho Shift
- Roost

So on to Jellicent. I think you're absolutely right regarding Jellicent. He does ruin momentum and actually I never thought about using Rotom.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 28 SAtk / 228 SDef
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-o-Wisp
- Pain Split

Furthermore, are you suggesting that I replace Tyranitar? If so, how can I do this and what do I switch him to?

the point of the latias set is to switch it in after something has died or by leading with it and immediately using trick. the initial switch-ins to it will typically be scizor / jirachi / tyranitar etc. which will receive the flame orb as you receive their item. if you receive a choice item, you can further cripple your opponent later in the game by using trick, so it's even better. psycho shift is less prediction heavy, but you're essentially permanently burned and you lose a lot of staying time.

i recommended using stealth rock on tyranitar instead of roar, and then making jirachi a choice scarf set with just max spe / max atk and the moves i listed above.

sorry for the confusion.

Wouldn't that allow you to be hit by a U-Turn first? Because you trick, they U-Turn out and life stinks for me. That's the problem I was talking about.

Wouldn't that allow you to be hit by a U-Turn first? Because you trick, they U-Turn out and life stinks for me. That's the problem I was talking about.
The whole point of Flame Orb is to lure in Scizor/Jirachi and trick the flame orb on the switch. Then you switch out after recieving the band since there's no point in staying in, and trick the band to a different Pokemon later in the game. It would be pointless if you brought Latias in on a Scizor, then tricked. If you're looking for a Scizor switch in then Heatran is probably best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)