Pokémon Klefki

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Above poster: God damn we need you as an artist all over the site lol.

Also lol Numel. Own Tempo Avalugg works just fine, and there's not much its other abilities really do for it anyways, and it doesn't care about Thunder Wave. Gliscor also takes about zero damage from Foul Play and has Earthquake. Rotom-W is like Gliscor but can't OHKO Klefki. Also Chansey's Seismic Toss outdamages Klefki's Foul Play after three Swaggers lol.

Or Quagsire/Clefable, which take no damage from Foul Play even after 3 Swaggers thanks to Unaware.

Or, you know, you can just run a normal team and be mostly unaffected, lol.

Clefable without Magic Guard isn't a super useful Clefable. Does Unaware really ignore your OWN attack boosts when factoring in Foul Play?

Clefable without Magic Guard isn't a super useful Clefable. Does Unaware really ignore your OWN attack boosts when factoring in Foul Play?
Arcticblast confirmed it a couple days ago in-game, that yes it does. Also a large portion of Clefable run Unaware currently, to beat stat boosters.

Maybe Klefki can utilise Eject button to be a good slow pivot.

Klefki @ eject button
Ability: Prankster
Bold Nature
252Hp / 252 Def / 4 spD
-Thunder Wave/Torment
-Light Screen
-Reflect
-Recycle

The idea is to be a strong pivot that assists a setup sweeper heavily, and is designed to be used with any substitute-using sweeper. On the first use, your aim is to set up the correct screen before being ejected. This gives a sweeper an immediate free switch-in, and it should be able to get behind a substitute with the appropriate blocking screen the next turn.

On the second switch-in you have a different role- your eject button is consumed so not every hit will switch you out. This now gives you the chance of choosing to slow-baton pass to an ally by using recycle on the turn you want klefki to switch out. This means klefki will absorb a hit before passing out to an ally, giving them a free switch.

I added torment as an option instead of thunder wave. I think torment is a strong move to be able to switch certain pokemon into, especially if you have any pokemon on your team with protect- for instance, speed boost sharpedo, yanmega or a pokemon like Vaporeon/Umbreon/Sylveon with wishpass and immunities to certain moves (water/psychic/dragon).All these pokemon can potentially dodge powerful moves aimed at them altogether, and either stall out the enemy with toxic+wish (for the eeveelutions) or just ohko an opponent without access to powerful moves for the speed boosters.

Edit: I thought I'd add some other examples of how eject button strategy can be useful since people dont use it much. Not in a condescending way I just figured it'd be good to just mention a few things.
When passing wish, it can be hard to get the wish to the low hp recipient without them getting hit and dying. Using eject button, you can switch in klefki to absorb a hit and get your wish recipient in safely.

When choice locked into a move and facing a pokemon you can beat if you had the option of changing moves, switch in klefki to absorb a hit and then switch back into your choiced attacker to continue the sweep.

Eject button blocks a pokemon from switching out with u-turn and volt switch if they use it. This is great because it helps break down frustrating voltturn cores (especially scizor, as klefki can easily absorb his banded U-turn with 4x resistance). That being said, klefki should probably leave absorbing rotom-w's volt switches to someone else.

If you get hit by a move boosted by Sheer Force, you wont be switched out. That makes landorus a solid counter due to bypassing eject button shenanigans, hitting klefki on its weaker special defense, and being thunder wave immune
Can this set be used with red card?

I think SwagKey is pretty underwhelming. It doesn't need a dedicated counter. Any good team with a decent pilot can minimize the annoyance this thing costs. That being said, the more hyper offensive the metagame becomes i think the more effective klefki will become. The more running around that's scared of that prankster thunderwave the better. With the switches that that can win with thunder wave, I think spikes, or screens is a much better way for the keys to be good.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Just faced one of these, and it ate up my entire team.

Dear god, SwagPlay is annoying. My usual method of dealing with it is just Talonflame's Flare Blitz, and I now have an Aromatherapy Florges on my team (not for this reason, but it's good to have), so I should be alright.

I'm still not sure what Klefki does. What are its best sets? What is its purpose?

Also, has anyone noticed that the move Fairy Lock is unique to Klefki? Lock? Keys? Geddit?

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Just faced one of these, and it ate up my entire team.

Dear god, SwagPlay is annoying. My usual method of dealing with it is just Talonflame's Flare Blitz, and I now have an Aromatherapy Florges on my team (not for this reason, but it's good to have), so I should be alright.

I'm still not sure what Klefki does. What are its best sets? What is its purpose?

Also, has anyone noticed that the move Fairy Lock is unique to Klefki? Lock? Keys? Geddit?
Klefki has an amazing defensive typing, and it gets awesome support moves alongside Prankster like Dual Screens, Thunder Wave, and Spikes. I can attest that Dual Screens Klefki is the best friend a setup Dragon could have.

Honestly I wish they hadn't made Klefki. Or just stopped with prankster. I love Sableye, more than most people do, but this shit's gotta stop. I'm tired of people doing ineffectual things with Klefki and drawing out a battle with parahax and screens. I almost always win anyways since klefki is like playing with 5 and maybe a third pokemon but it's just annoying. The only matchup I've found Klefki a killer in is against HO teams. Most any team that slows itself down and can switch gears can answer whatever the opposing team has through parahax/screens and then doesn't have to worry about one extra pokemon being the thing that breaks all of your walls.

Sorry I guess that was more of rant, and not super productive.

I don't see much talk as Klefki as a spiker. Why is that? are people afraid of defog? I could see Klefki being a really easy way to get out a layer of spikes and lure the defogger, spinner in to kill it. That's the one thing i have been impressed by with this little guy is how quickly he can get spikes up.

Honestly I wish they hadn't made Klefki. Or just stopped with prankster. I love Sableye, more than most people do, but this shit's gotta stop. I'm tired of people doing ineffectual things with Klefki and drawing out a battle with parahax and screens. I almost always win anyways since klefki is like playing with 5 and maybe a third pokemon but it's just annoying. The only matchup I've found Klefki a killer in is against HO teams. Most any team that slows itself down and can switch gears can answer whatever the opposing team has through parahax/screens and then doesn't have to worry about one extra pokemon being the thing that breaks all of your walls.

Sorry I guess that was more of rant, and not super productive.

I don't see much talk as Klefki as a spiker. Why is that? are people afraid of defog? I could see Klefki being a really easy way to get out a layer of spikes and lure the defogger, spinner in to kill it. That's the one thing i have been impressed by with this little guy is how quickly he can get spikes up.
Klefki is a great Spiker, but people are scared of Defog, or they just want to run DoucheKey and don't care about hazards. Spikes doesn't see nearly enough usage, imo.

Yeah I think there is a little too much fear of defogginf ruining the viability of spikes. One spike is more than enough to start doing some work if you have a team that causes a lot of switches.

How viable is calm mind+draining kiss on klefki? seems like an interesting combo on a prankster mon

Can this set be used with red card?
Yea it can but it'd do something completely different. I would definitely use the red card with spikes though since your aim is forcing switches, probably something like:

-Spikes
-Recycle
-Foul Play
-Rest
??

Pair that up with an aromatherapy/heal bell mon and you have something which can actually do okay.. I use recycle on the dual screens set because dual screens also means klefki can take repeated hits, but it feels like with a spikes + recycle set you don't really have the ability to do that, despite good typing. However, priority rest should keep you alive through the match pretty handily.

You could do spikes + dual screens + recycle but you might as well use light clay if you want screens + arent using eject.

I think the dual screens one with eject button feels a lot better than red card though (although their aims are very different), just because if your aim is to take hits then you need some screens because klefki has great typing but pretty average stats.

Yay! More Prankster nonsense!!

Klefki @ Choice Scarf / Toxic Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Switcheroo
- Thunderwave
- Spikes
- Foul Play

This will work as an anti-lead by giving common leads like Deoxys-S and -D an useless item before they can Taunt you, making it dead weight even if it does. You'll probably have gained a Leftovers or a Red Card, which you can later use to your advantage. Alternatively, you can use Toxic Orb (taking advantage of Klefki's immunity to poison) and give defensive walls the worst nausea ever. It can even neuter attackers by taking away their Life Orb or Choice item - which then can be further Tricked away, giving you even more free turns!!

Now for the bad news. Boobookeys really wants Leftovers recovery as soon as possible, since it has no method of recovery. Switcheroo requires, that you freeload Leftovers from other mons, which won't happen reliably. You need to wait for the right moment to neuter something - until you do that, you have dead weight on your team. If this strategy becomes well-known enough, switching in your own Scarfer (preferably a Steel one) will kill Klefki's momentum. I doubt, it will be really that good or popular of a way to use Klefki, but it's yet another annoying thing that you have to worry about. At least it's not Swagger.

Last edited:
Klefki @ Choice band
Bold Nature

- Switcheroo
- Thunder wave
- Swagger
- Foul Play

I want to run this set, does Foul Play do major damage if your opponent has choice band?

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I was thinking of Switcheroo + Iron Ball, just to screw with its regular switch-ins in Rotom-W and Gliscor. Klefki can even swap Gliscor's Toxic Orb onto something else.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
wow we absolutely needed this for our poor little underused harmless nu-viable keychain pokemon. At least it can priority-trick Iron ball and random Scarf/Bands into stuff like Tanlonflame, Exca, Def Rotom-W, Gliscor, Pink Blob etc.

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
So basically the only truly safe switch-ins to Klefki are now limited to a few mega evolutions?
It was already annoying to begin with but with priority Switcheroo it can now cripple almost anything...

Here's a potential set:

Klefki @ Iron Ball/Toxic Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Switcheroo
- Foul Play
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave

A funny thing to keep in mind... if you're running Iron Ball and you use Switcheroo against Gliscor, you can then pass the Toxic Orb later onto something else while being immune to it by virtue of Klefki's steel type.

BTW hi and Merry Xmas everyone :)

Any suggestion about dealing with swagger foul play? U can't taunt it before it gets off one swagger. And if it gets a chance to sub, its gonna take out at least poke. Are my only options own tempo or something that resists dark types?

I usually run sturdy on my avalugg but i can try ownpo. But if they manage to toxic him I'm screwed

Last edited:

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Recovery on Klefki?

I find Draining Kiss to be quite good. The damage isn't too bad, and it can heal huge chunks of Klefki's HP. Definitely useful, I think.

anti-Kleki Pransters:

Number 1
Liepard
Ability:Pranster
Nature:timid
Item: Leftovers

Taunt
Thunder wave/ Nasty Plot
HP Fire/ HP Ground
Dark Pulse

Number 2
Thundurus
Nature:timid
Item: Leftovers

Thunderbolt
Grass knot
Traunt
Thunder wave

Number 3
Whimsicott
Nature:Calm
Item: any item

Cotton Guard
Taunt
leech seed
Substitute

Number 4
Murkrow
Nature:Jolly
Item: focus slash

Taunt
Sucker Punch/Foul Play
Swagger
Thunder wave

I prefer Number 1, but the gimmic is to set up taunt, first by using there spped to get Prankster to be used and then take it down, These, even though they have worst typing, they can do so much, Number 2 is probaly the best out of all them with speed and sp. att.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)