Pokémon Klefki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, I wouldn't be so sure it would be fit for OU with those stats. Don't get me wrong, I love this thing, but suicide leads have always been setting yourself up for failure from what I've seen (and dealt with). It's basically one free Pokemon for your opponent.

Fairy Lock's text is oddly specific. It says that it locks down the battlefield to ensure no Pokemon can escape on the NEXT turn. Presumably, the NEXT turn only.

It's like this thing was consciously designed for the purpose of throwing one up before dying to let the next thing (presumably a counter) ensure whatever killed Klefki isn't escaping revenge kill. Setting up on something you know is harmless could work too, etc.

Fairy Lock's text is oddly specific. It says that it locks down the battlefield to ensure no Pokemon can escape on the NEXT turn. Presumably, the NEXT turn only.

It's like this thing was consciously designed for the purpose of throwing one up before dying to let the next thing (presumably a counter) ensure whatever killed Klefki isn't escaping revenge kill. Setting up on something you know is harmless could work too, etc.
Oh that's really cool. I thought it just sounded like a shitty temporary Mean Look, but if it works even if Klefki dies... woah.

Situational, but possibly extremely effective.

Oh that's really cool. I thought it just sounded like a shitty temporary Mean Look, but if it works even if Klefki dies... woah.

Situational, but possibly extremely effective.
Ends up being a less reliable destiny bond from the sounds of it... Not that being a less reliable destiny bond is a bad thing.

Unfortunately with the buff to Defog, Klefki being able to get down spikes easily has less meaning and will have to rely on other moves to gain usage.

Klefki Leftovers {Prankster}
Bold 252 HP/252 Defense/4 Speed
Calm Mind
Dazzling Gleam
Rest
Sleep Talk
This is a set I have been using competitively minus calm mind in exchange for another attack and locally it's doing well. I have been going for HP 252 - Def 126 - Sp.D 126 with Rocky Helmet. This thing has slaughtered Megas due to it's bulk and Rest abilities and it does not matter if it has nothing invested in attack or special as it will gradually eat away while recovering itself. I use Rest - Sleep Talk - Play Nice - Draining Kiss. I plan to put in more reliable attacks when I get around to researching it better but the idea is 2 attacks. I just hate it when Sleep Talk Selects Rest, I want a sleep orb or something for this if only they had one.

Came up against of these on battle spot... hated every damn moment. he should get banned or at least this move set...

Leftovers
Prankster
Thunder Wave
Swagger
Subsitute
Foul Play

Thunder Wave, then substitute, then swagger and then foul play

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I love this Pokemon, it's seriously my favorite Kalosian Pokemon. I hoard keychains and charms irl lol. I love its aesthetics, ability, and typing. I wish this thing got other entry hazards but it has plenty of pluses. I just posted a random mish-mash on the first page, but I'm going to copy paste the set I made that I'll use once I have an opportunity to make teams in a stable environment.

Klefki @ Leftovers
Prankster
Impish / Careful
252 HP / rest in Def and SpD according to what you want to survive since I'm too lazy to do calcs
Spikes
Thunder Wave
Foul Play
Play Rough

Klefki has plenty of opportunities to lay down Spikes with its excellent Fairy/Steel typing, rendering it weak only to Fire and Ground. Thunder Wave functions as ever useful status as well as giving Klefki utility after Spikes are down, while Foul Play is a deceptive and effective move to use on any defensive Pokemon with average offenses. I opted to use Fairy STAB on this set because it hits Tyranitar, Conkeldurr, and Breloom SE as well as having something to actually threaten Dragons with (OHKO Hydreigon wootwoot). If that doesn't float your boat, you can run screens or something.

I believe that with excellent typing and a great ability, Klefki should be built defensively. I'm excited about it because it seems to be a terror if played right.

And so Prankster Mega Banette buffs Trick Room from -7 priority to an astounding -6 priority. Huzzah.
I really feel like people forget this too often. A prankster user on a trick room team is cool because it can use status moves regardless of whether or not trick room is in play, meaning it functions equally well in both environments, not because it raises the priority of Trick Room from awful to very-discreetly-less-awful.

I'm going to be SO annoying with this thing. Liepard 2.0
Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
IVs: 0 Atk
Calm Nature
- Swagger
- Substitute
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play
I HATE YOU :p
but luckily, with electric type now immune to paralysis, it opens a wole realm of chechs

For those who have X / Y, I thought I'd upload quite a funny Klefki 3-0 sweep viewable on the Battle Recorder.

2APG-WWWW-WWWX-S94R

Setup is the following:

Klefki @ Light Clay
Bold Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / Sp.D 188 (Allows him to have equal Def and Sp.D)
- Foul Play
- Thunder Wave
- Reflect
- Light Screen

For those who have X / Y, I thought I'd upload quite a funny Klefki 3-0 sweep viewable on the Battle Recorder.

2APG-WWWW-WWWX-S94R

Setup is the following:

Klefki @ Light Clay
Bold Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / Sp.D 188 (Allows him to have equal Def and Sp.D)
- Foul Play
- Thunder Wave
- Reflect
- Light Screen
Wow, you opponent doesnt having anything to counter it...... Maybe he didnt consider Klefki as such a problem when selecting the 3 Pokemon he needs Im guessing.

Been using Duo screen Klefki too, but dont know where Light Clay is obtainable?

Wow, you opponent doesnt having anything to counter it...... Maybe he didnt consider Klefki as such a problem when selecting the 3 Pokemon he needs Im guessing.

Been using Duo screen Klefki too, but dont know where Light Clay is obtainable?
You have to steal it from the golurk? things on route 10.

I find this set is having interesting results:

The Key to your Dreams
Klefki @ Focus sash
EV's: 252 HP/252 SpD/4 Def
Nature: +SpD - Attack
(although you can just as easily give it physical bulk, I just prefer to avoid giving Download users a boost)

Moveset:
-Spikes
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Draining Kiss/Play Rough/Dazzling Gleam/Flash Cannon

The general idea is to throw up as many layers as spikes as you can. It may not seem like much of a set but it has some hidden potential. For one, you're very nearly guaranteed to get at least two layers of spikes down thanks to focus sash. If the opponent can't 2HKO you, you'll be more than reliably able to lay down several layers of spikes, especially thanks to rest-talk, which both get priority. This also means that spore/sleep powder leads (although thanks to the nerf we may be seeing fewer of these) can do little to shut down Klefki. While sleeping, Klefki also gains priority for the 4th attacking slot, which also helps him avoid becoming set-up fodder altogether.

Unfortunately it's very easy for an opponent to set up against you. Having Klefki on your team very nearly necessitates a fast revenge killer to demolish any set-up pokemon (blaziken may be a good example). This is particularly painful if your opponent was a boosting priority user (Scizor and Aegislash comes to mind). Additionally you'll be wanting a spin-blocker, or at least be prepared for a haze. And finally Klefki is nearly dead weight after setting up.

Getting 3 layers of spikes up can be very brutal for non-flyers/floaters, and 'mons typically not fearing stealth rocks will find themselves getting chunked for 25% of their max health each switch, leading to plenty of revenge-kills. Whether or not this set is the best for setting up Spikes I am not sure, but it's considerably more reliable then many other options available. It's worth considering or at the least criticizing.

I just did a test of Klefki on PO with the following:

Klefki @ Leftovers
Bold
252 HP/252 Def/4 SPD
- Torment
- Spikes
- Protect
- Thunderwave

With this set i managed to Torment a Gliscor with EQ, set up a layer of spikes. The user then switched to Mega Lucario. After a torment, thunder wave, protect I managed to get up the last layer of spikes before falling. I think this may be a WONDERFUL suicide lead. I though Klefki would be horrible at first but damn did i change my mind on this one.

EDIT: And to top it off I managed to take 70% damage from a Mega Lucario Close Combat which is kind of impressive for this little key fairy.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it's very easy for an opponent to set up against you. Having Klefki on your team very nearly necessitates a fast revenge killer to demolish any set-up pokemon (blaziken may be a good example). This is particularly painful if your opponent was a boosting priority user (Scizor and Aegislash comes to mind). Additionally you'll be wanting a spin-blocker, or at least be prepared for a haze. And finally Klefki is nearly dead weight after setting up.

Getting 3 layers of spikes up can be very brutal for non-flyers/floaters, and 'mons typically not fearing stealth rocks will find themselves getting chunked for 25% of their max health each switch, leading to plenty of revenge-kills. Whether or not this set is the best for setting up Spikes I am not sure, but it's considerably more reliable then many other options available. It's worth considering or at the least criticizing.
Scarfed ditto would work well with this set. I don't think klefki will see much time in OU, but I bet it could be a good lead in lower tiers.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If you actually want to use Klefki to do some damage, I'd rather use Play Rough over Dazzling Gleam. Yeah, the decrease in accuracy sucks, but it's worth hitting from the physical end considering how many things weak to Fairy have better special than physical defense (Tyranitar under sand, Latis, Dragonite, not Conkeldurr Fighting types). If you predict incorrectly, you can still threaten the opponent with the chance to decrease Attack so you can potentially get away scot-free. Draining Kiss is maybe ok for sustain but I'm not sure if it does enough damage to make it worth it.

Hello, new to competitive battling! Always been a bit intimidated to start, but with the simultaneous worldwide release of X/Y and the inability to hack the games, it seems like a clean slate to come in and start learning.

That aside I just wanted to mention what a beast Klefki is, at least in Rotation! With its steel/fairy dual typing and the excellent ability in Prankster, it's easily one of the best support Pokemon to come out of this generation (in my opinion). I've been running Thunder Wave / Calm Mind / Dazzling Gleam / Flash Cannon with a Sp.A+ nature. Unfortunately mine is Mild, however even with that flawed defensive nature when you equip it with leftovers it's still reliably bulky. Klefki was able to wall both Xerneas and Yveltal, and Mewtwo Y. Plus besides walling the two mascots I was able to 2KO both of them with a +1 Calm Mind'd Flash Cannon/Flash Gleam, respectively. As an added bonus, all the Speed Boost Blaziken running around are crippled by priority Thunder Wave no matter how many boosts it has under its belt.

I love the little imp!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)