Pokémon Klefki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Swagger Klefki is a really gimmicky set, which is much more annoying than it is threatening. It's basically made for "awesome" replays, which don't take into account the other 50 times Swagger Klefki managed to not do a thing. It provides no utility, besides spreading paralyze, and relies on the opponent not switching in either a pokemon that pretty much ignores its shanenigans (Own tempo pokemon, ground and electric pokemon, dark types who aren't bothered too much by paralyze, etc.)

There are plenty of support roles Klefki can perform absolutely well, but this gimmicky set based on luck and the opponent's ineptitude is not one of them.

Garchompi

Banned deucer.
And we all love getting our entire team swept due to hax. Imo just use a set that isn't entirely luck dependent. Do YOU want this thing running all over the ladder?

Edit: If you are actually using that set you are also taking away it's main draw named Prankster Spikes.
No, that was taken away by the improved Defog. I'm pretty sure that set is its main appeal now.

Because relying entirely on luck is fantastic!
When the odds are in your favor it's no longer "luck" but "statistical advantage", as Jirachi and Scald have proven time and again. Worst case scenario Klefki is still going to spread paralysis and deal massive damage to physical attackers that don't resist dark, so that set has its uses other than inducing rage quits.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
No, that was taken away by the improved Defog. I'm pretty sure that set is its main appeal now.
The improved Defog never really destroyed Klefki's Spiking niche, and it is silly to say this luck-reliant set that has a huge tendency to backfire will be Klefki's main appeal. Klefki can definitely run other support moves like Dual Screens to stop rampaging sweepers.

I, for one, found SubSwag Liepard to be extremely hit-or-miss, either dismantling whole teams or flat out dying turn 1 (fortunately for me, the latter happened to 98% of opponents). Klefki doesn't have to deal with that kind of inconsistency when it has notable support options and again, not complete shit bulk.

Liepard's defenses are complete ass, there's no comparison to klefki beyond the actual strategy. Klefki just does it better.

Klefki has the typing, he has the defenses, he has the switch-in utility. He's NOT Liepard. If you want to advocate better usage for him, then do that. But just comparing him to Liepard to invalidate him as a "gimmick" when he can do the strategy way more consistently, and has overall better options is faulty.

Punchshroom

Even if Klefki does it better (I might agree to this much), this Klefki is basically a one-man show. It has the right tools to support teammates, as seen on this sample moveset, yet you're throwing that all away for a set with a 50%-25% chance to actually succeed on the first turn?

Garchompi

Banned deucer.
Even if Klefki does it better (I might agree to this much), this Klefki is basically a one-man show. It has the right tools to support teammates, as seen on this sample moveset, yet you're throwing that all away for a set with a 50%-25% chance to actually succeed on the first turn?
Light Screen and Spikes are both removed by Defog so I don't know why you consider that set so good. I'd rather spread paralysis, do damage and, why not, take the chance to sweep half a team or more with a bit of luck over several turns of support that can be nullified in one move.

Last edited:
Light Screen and Spikes are both removed by Defog so I don't know why you consider that set so good. I'd rather spread paralysis, do damage and, why not, take the chance to sweep half a team or more with a bit of luck over several turns of support that cen be nullified in one move.
Most teams will carry one defogger if any
You can most likely see what the defogger is and chances are its flying type
You can then switch to an electric type or whatever and rid the defogger and allow Klefki to set up again. Its the same as rapid spin

You don't need to succeed the first turn though, and the success rate is more than 50%, assuming it doesn't get ohko'd(which you shouldn't keep in that case since it'd be obvious)

wave/swag first turn, 25% to fail, second turn 50%, i don't think it's quite 75% but somewhere between there. And if 3hko you're very likely to succeed and get a sub up.
Light Screen and Spikes are both removed by Defog so I don't know why you consider that set so good. I'd rather spread paralysis, do damage and, why not, take the chance to sweep half a team or more with a bit of luck over several turns of support that cen be nullified in one move.
Defog really isn't a valid argument because you're likely to twave the defogger if they do it to on klefki itself which would hurt their chance to do it again. And if not on klefki, then they need to do it to something that can't punish it. His set still has twave btw.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Because Defog is incredibly over-hyped.

"I want to use something which gets either 25% of 50% of it's damage done so that it can REMOVE THE THING THAT'S DOING IT. But don't worry about it, I can DEFOG AND THEN USE STEALTH ROCK. Either than or I will NOT USE HAZARDS SO I CAN USE THIS MOVE." Seriously stop talking about Defog like it's amazing because it's worse than Rapid Spin by a mile.

Punchshroom

Defog actually isn't that common: few users have the bulk to be able to afford going for it safely (especially in the face of Prankster Thunder Wave which wrecks their speed), while more defensive Defoggers like Scizor and Gliscor can be taken advantage of easily since they have to drop a moveslot (Gliscor suffers heavy 4MSS for that matter). It's not that much harder to prevent than Rapid Spin really, as Kirbles said.

I'd rather spread paralysis, do damage and, why not, take the chance to sweep half a team or more with a bit of luck over several turns of support that cen be nullified in one move.
Prankster T-Wave can spread paralysis, Foul Play can do decent damage by itself already, and instead of relying on pure chance to try and sweep an opposing team, why not go for a near guaranteed chance to prevent the opponent from doing the same to you? Klefki can also support with Spikes so that more reliable sweepers can do the job for it. This is what Klefki is truly good for imo.

If my Klefki set is shut down by Defog, SwagKey sets are shut down by Taunt and bulky Pokemon in general. Electric-types and Ground-types also trouble SwagKey as it will have little to do against them, while SupportKey can lay down Spikes or set up Light Screen so that its teammates can wallop them.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Because Defog is incredibly over-hyped.

"I want to use something which gets either 25% of 50% of it's damage done so that it can REMOVE THE THING THAT'S DOING IT. But don't worry about it, I can DEFOG AND THEN USE STEALTH ROCK. Either than or I will NOT USE HAZARDS SO I CAN USE THIS MOVE." Seriously stop talking about Defog like it's amazing because it's worse than Rapid Spin by a mile.
More versatile users
Unblock able with taunt being the only way to stop it
Removes screens as well
Decreases foes evasion

Instantly better than rapid spin. Are you going to be using a spike stacking team and then defog? Of course not, that's retarded. Defog is a tactical move that is used to remove hazards which is huge. The benefits far outweigh the cons

I don't think Defog is miles behind Rapid spin but it isn't better either. They are different moves with different uses, essentially that Defog is more reliable but hurts your own ability to set hazards.

Essentially if you want to use 4x weak stealth rock mons(or have a general team weakness to field hazards), defog is better. But general teams will probably want rapid spin.

Also going "but this can be countered so it's bad" is faulty logic.

Okay, i think if people are gonna make Swagkeys common in OU this will be the best counter imo(Can be easily adjusted for other tiers) as not only does it counter it, if they use swagger they give it a free +2 attack boost and allow it to most likely take down another thing.

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Fang/Substitute/Whatever

252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 255 HP / 255 Def (custom): 276-326 (85.71 - 101.24%) -- 6.25% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 255 HP / 255 Def (custom): 548-648 (170.18 - 201.24%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Punchshroom

Also going "but this can be countered so it's bad" is faulty logic.
No one is arguing on that basis, we are instead noting on the effectiveness of each set.

SwagKey sometimes can work, sometimes it cannot. The fact that it has a tendency to not be able to carry out the primary function of the set is already an indication on its reliability, but this also implies that even if circumstances look perfect (no Ground-types, no Electric-types, opponent's team full of frail, powerful sweepers) SwagKey can still fail simply because the opponent won a coinflip and damaged Klefki beyond repair, meaning it cannot make as much / any Substitutes to continue the mindless-spamming.

SupportKey has plenty of things to be doing. While it shouldn't be trying to perform all these roles at once, it can perform viably in almost any situation. A bulky team that doesn't care for Light Screen, Thunder Wave, or Foul Play? Set up Spikes all over them and watch them squirm. No time to set up Spikes against offensive teams? Halt or cripple their sweepers with Thunder Wave and / or Light Screen, and lay the hurt on physical attackers who aren't bothered by Light Screen. Either way, Klefki has done its job, and isn't reliant on chance to pull off either.

See the difference here? One set tries to rely on luck and has an unpredictable chance of success in nearly any scenario; the other actively exploits the opponent's weak links and can easily adapt to most situations. This is what I mean when I describe a Pokemon's reliability.

Last edited:

Garchompi

Banned deucer.
I think you people are trying to undervalue SwagKey's potential not because you believe it's a bad set, but because you're scared of it, the same way players are legitimately scared of Flinchax Jirachi and Scald spammers.

I don't understand why you're acting as if SwagKey can rarely, if ever, accomplish those tasks when it's extremely easy to do so.
If SwagKey can safely switch against something (not too hard considering it has the best defensive type in the game) and force it out it has already done its job as a counter.
If it can successfully paralyze a pokemon it has done its job as a supporter. If it can kill something with Foul play it has done its job as an offensive pokemon. It can do all this with just one set.

You don't have to blindly spam Swagger and pray it doesn't backfire, that's just the icing on the cake.
Electric types are practically always specially based so even if they're immune to Thunder Wave it's relatively safe to use Swagger on them, and as for Ground types they counter every Klefki set anyways and SwagKey is actually the only one that stands a chance against them.

Last edited:
I think you are overrating it

Just because it managed to sweep OU teams doesn't make it good
I've managed to sweep Ubers teams with Ninjask, doesn't mean ninjask is a good sweeper

I think you people are trying to undervalue SwagKey's potential not because you believe it's a bad set, but because you're scared of it, the same way players are legitimately scared of Flinchax Jirachi and Scald spammers.
The last time I fought one, I just set up three layers of spikes with my own Klefki (whose awesome defensive typing coincidentally resists Dark) and Perish Songed it out- later in the match, it tried to take a hit and got 1HKOd.

I'm not 'undervaluing' it because I'm scared, I'm undervaluing it because it's annoying as fuck and I've got better things to do. I mean, if I just woke up, have my coffee in hand and I'm in a great mood, it might be a fun challenge to beat it. But if I'm stressed and want to relax with a couple of battles, SwagKey is about as disappointing as an opponent can be. As someone who plays on the ladder with any regularity, I have a vested interest in it being used as little as possible.

Word of advice if you see a Talonflame on the enemy team never start Klefki. I've single handedly won so many games against Klefki teams by doing this.

Word of advice if you see a Talonflame on the enemy team never start Klefki. I've single handedly won so many games against Klefki teams by doing this.
Klefki, turn one, uses Reflect: Talonflame, whatever it does, fails to OHKO.
Klefki, second turn, uses Thunder Wave: Klefki may die, if the Talonflame doesn't get fully paralyzed, but its sweep has probably come to an end on turn 2.

Well, that's assuming you have a steel or rock pokémon that can take a hit (and KO back) from a Swords Danced priority Brave Bird, as fire moves are not worrysome after the paralyze.

In fact, if the Talonflame went first turn for a Swords Dance, if the TW fully paralyzed it, maybe Klefki can endure a Flare Blitz and KO back with Foul Play. I'd have to run the calcs, but it has a chance, doing a quick mental calc.

Okay, i think if people are gonna make Swagkeys common in OU this will be the best counter imo(Can be easily adjusted for other tiers) as not only does it counter it, if they use swagger they give it a free +2 attack boost and allow it to most likely take down another thing.

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Fang/Substitute/Whatever

252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 255 HP / 255 Def (custom): 276-326 (85.71 - 101.24%) -- 6.25% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 255 HP / 255 Def (custom): 548-648 (170.18 - 201.24%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Even without Lum, you'd have to be pretty retarded to swagger garchomp unless klefki is your last and praying for a hit themself is your only shot at winning

No one is arguing on that basis, we are instead noting on the effectiveness of each set.

SwagKey sometimes can work, sometimes it cannot. The fact that it has a tendency to not be able to carry out the primary function of the set is already an indication on its reliability, but this also implies that even if circumstances look perfect (no Ground-types, no Electric-types, opponent's team full of frail, powerful sweepers) SwagKey can still fail simply because the opponent won a coinflip and damaged Klefki beyond repair, meaning it cannot make as much / any Substitutes to continue the mindless-spamming.

SupportKey has plenty of things to be doing. While it shouldn't be trying to perform all these roles at once, it can perform viably in almost any situation. A bulky team that doesn't care for Light Screen, Thunder Wave, or Foul Play? Set up Spikes all over them and watch them squirm. No time to set up Spikes against offensive teams? Halt or cripple their sweepers with Thunder Wave and / or Light Screen, and lay the hurt on physical attackers who aren't bothered by Light Screen. Either way, Klefki has done its job, and isn't reliant on chance to pull off either.

See the difference here? One set tries to rely on luck and has an unpredictable chance of success in nearly any scenario; the other actively exploits the opponent's weak links and can easily adapt to most situations. This is what I mean when I describe a Pokemon's reliability.
That wasn't directed toward you, it was directed toward the "defog invalidates spikes klefki"

And obviously we're not talking about throwing klefki at any point to spam twave. Also the team does NOT need to be full of frail sweepers for swagkey to do some serious damage. Once you get a sub up with parafusion, they're pretty much dead.

And again, i never denied that there might be better roles for klefki, just that the arguments against the paraswag version were faulty because they presumed it was way less reliable than it was. The fact is, dual screens/spikes will not always be a relevant strategy because they can just switch in a set-up/stall, which paraswag klefki counters.

So as i stated already, Klefki has several valid ways to play, and trying to say any of them are overall better than the other because of a fallacy such as "reliance on luck" (when pokemon is already largely reliant on luck) is invalid.

The fact is, swagkey is very consistent on anything that cannot 2hko it or worse. Throw it in against ANYTHING that can't 2hko it, and you have a very good chance to set up and wreack havoc(note: sub essentially makes all future pokes 2hkos and gives a 60% to lose their turn, if they can be paralysed). Consistency is very important, and while yes, it can backfire, so can focus blast and any not 100 acc attack(Even those but not reasonably)

The chance of getting a free turn on a 2hkoing enemy is 62.5%, assuming you can twave. This is cutting it pretty close, but let's look at 3hkos or greater. Which is 81%, which is about the same as stone edge.

Now let's remember that if that succeeds, you're also set to severely cripple or even knock out a second pokemon, because you're likely to have a substitute set up. So, assuming they can't 2hko you, you have a very high chance to take out their pokemon, and cripple/take out yet another.

Let's also remember the following:

With leftovers, only 3hkos which do more than 41% will leave klefki unable to make a sub after two successful hits.
If klefki DOES fail even an attempt on a 2hko pokemon, you're next pokemon is likely able to set up on the next pokemon. So unlike stone edge misses, it isn't a total loss.
This klefki can still be supported, you insist on it being a one-man show but the fact is it actually can be synergetic with other pokemon. Skarmory for it's physical walling/earthquake avoiding needs for example, and flash fire or even assault vest tyranitar for it's fire/special needs.
If klefki switches on a non-attacker or something without the tools to do good damage too it (with steel/fairy, highly likely) then it can get pretty much do w.e it wants. Set-up steel types like skarm/ferro/forr/etc are good examples. They just cannot do anything. (though with ferro you sub first)

This klefki is essentially to punish the opponent for sending something out that can't kill it.

That said, if you already have wallbreakers or other anti-set up mons, or just in general need support, obviously dual screens klefki is for you. However, the concept that SwagKey is inconsistent seems faulty with the actual data. And personally, and i mean no offense by this, I feel like there's a personal bias against the strategy, rather than purely objective criticism.

Essentially, it's a MORE consistent paraflinch mon that can be switched in against many pokemon, and can gain way more momentum despite togekiss losing it after it's first kill.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

That wasn't directed toward you, it was directed toward the "defog invalidates spikes klefki"

And obviously we're not talking about throwing klefki at any point to spam twave. Also the team does NOT need to be full of frail sweepers for swagkey to do some serious damage. Once you get a sub up with parafusion, they're pretty much dead.

And again, i never denied that there might be better roles for klefki, just that the arguments against the paraswag version were faulty because they presumed it was way less reliable than it was. The fact is, dual screens/spikes will not always be a relevant strategy because they can just switch in a set-up/stall, which paraswag klefki counters.

These two arguments are already faulty, easily the biggest team archetype SwagKey has trouble with is stall, as they have high defenses, low offenses, and healing moves. They can afford to switch around and stall out Klefki, while Klefki has to repeat the whole Swagger process just to be able to get reasonable damage off (as a former SwagPard user, who has STAB on said move, I can relate to how difficult breaking defensive teams with SwagPard can be). If the wall is suffering confusion and paralysis, they can switch back out to avoid a strong Foul Play. If Klefki does not Swagger on the switch-in, the switch-in can try to pull off at least one attack on Klefki to break its Sub. If Klefki does get the Sub, hurrah for you, enjoy the strenuous task of killing 4-6 bulky dudes with this (if anyone of them has Regenerator, Klefki would be the one suffering through hell, not the opponent); if you don't get the Sub immediately, that means losing more HP to keep one up, and while Klefki's defenses aren't terrible, even stall will have an easier time taking down a weakened Klefki. Gliscor and Hippowdon are two such examples that SwagKey will have a hell of a time trying to break through and basically offers a free switch into; SupportKey can lay down Spikes then gtfo, mission accomplished.

So as i stated already, Klefki has several valid ways to play, and trying to say any of them are overall better than the other because of a fallacy such as "reliance on luck" (when pokemon is already largely reliant on luck) is invalid.

Indeed, Pokemon is reliant on luck, however to focus solely on this luck as the main strategy of the Pokemon can either go off without a hitch or court disaster. Almost all Pokemon try to function with some sort of consistency so as to avoid being deadweight. You don't see a Pokemon run Inferno or Zap Cannon to status foes, you see it use Will-O-Wisp or Thunder Wave (assuming the Pokemon learns both attacks of their respective elemental type) because trading the better reward for guaranteed consistency is generally better than going for the greater reward with a risk of doing little / nothing. While Klefki's typing and not-paper-thin defenses do help to lower the risk, it lack of consistency compared to support sets generally make it a tad inferior as a result: No one wants to see their Klefki get wrecked by a stray Earthquake or something like an Infiltrator Noivern's / Chandelure's Flamethrower from sheer chance.

The fact is, swagkey is very consistent on anything that cannot 2hko it or worse. Throw it in against ANYTHING that can't 2hko it, and you have a very good chance to set up and wreak havoc(note: sub essentially makes all future pokes 2hkos and gives a 60% to lose their turn, if they can be paralysed). Consistency is very important, and while yes, it can backfire, so can focus blast and any not 100 acc attack(Even those but not reasonably)

The chance of getting a free turn on a 2hkoing enemy is 62.5%, assuming you can twave. This is cutting it pretty close, but let's look at 3hkos or greater. Which is 81%, which is about the same as stone edge.

Now let's remember that if that succeeds, you're also set to severely cripple or even knock out a second pokemon, because you're likely to have a substitute set up. So, assuming they can't 2hko you, you have a very high chance to take out their pokemon, and cripple/take out yet another.

I'm trying to look at the odds here. If the opponent has a Ground- or Electric-type, these odds can fall significantly. Thunder Wave has a 25% chance of immobilizing an opponent, whereas Swagger has a 45% (counting miss) chance. Let's say Klefki switches in on a helpless Pokemon. You get Sub up, they switch to Electric- / Ground-type. You Swagger, they have a 50% chance to fail to break the Sub (let's say they don't). You prepare to Foul Play (because there's nothing else you can really do), they now have a 50% chance of breaking your Sub (the odds of failing / hitting twice in a row is also ~25%, so it stands to reasoning), which they do and then eat a Foul Play to the face. Now what? You can't Thunder Wave them, you can't Swagger them again as they can very well snap out of confusion right about now (this is totally random, you don't know when this will happen), and for physical attackers, you've just given them a +2 boost. This is the kind of risk I'm talking about: by playing solely through luck, you have no control of the situation and hope Lady Luck doesn't backhand you in the face....and this set somehow isn't inferior to the more consistent SupportKey sets?

Let's also remember the following:

With leftovers, only 3hkos which do more than 41% will leave klefki unable to make a sub after two successful hits.
If klefki DOES fail even an attempt on a 2hko pokemon, you're next pokemon is likely able to set up on the next pokemon. So unlike stone edge misses, it isn't a total loss.
This klefki can still be supported, you insist on it being a one-man show but the fact is it actually can be synergetic with other pokemon. Skarmory for it's physical walling/earthquake avoiding needs for example, and flash fire or even assault vest tyranitar for it's fire/special needs.
If klefki switches on a non-attacker or something without the tools to do good damage too it (with steel/fairy, highly likely) then it can get pretty much do w.e it wants. Set-up steel types like skarm/ferro/forr/etc are good examples. They just cannot do anything. (though with ferro you sub first)

This klefki is essentially to punish the opponent for sending something out that can't kill it.

Other Klefkis cannot do this? Personally I'm more worried about Spikes all under my feet and / or Dual Screens that halt my sweepers as well as the possibility of a whole host of setup sweepers rushing in with their newfound protection than some silly parafusion set that may or may not end up dying / killing itself. Other Klefkis commonly carry Thunder Wave anyway, so SwagKey's merit of occasionally stopping rampaging sweepers is rendered moot.

That said, if you already have wallbreakers or other anti-set up mons, or just in general need support, obviously dual screens klefki is for you. However, the concept that SwagKey is inconsistent seems faulty with the actual data. And personally, and i mean no offense by this, I feel like there's a personal bias against the strategy, rather than purely objective criticism.

There is indeed some bias against Swagger as you said (and have seen), but as a parafusion Liepard user myself I can relate to the shortcomings to the set. Sure, it can sweep teams from time to time while totally wasting the opponent's Musharna and stuff (or just drop dead :P), but even Liepard has better things to be doing. Klefki here has the tools to help teammates sweep: SwagKey can stop a rampaging sweeper and possibly kill it, but SupportKey can not only stop said sweeper, but also set up either Spikes and / or Screens so that his teammates can carry on the sweep for it (this is also directed toward the "one-man-show" thing I commented about SwagKey earlier).

Essentially, it's a MORE consistent paraflinch (it's parafusion) mon that can be switched in against many pokemon, and can gain way more momentum despite togekiss losing it after it's first kill.

At this point, I may just have to take back what I said about agreeing with Klefki being the objectively better SwagPlay user; Liepard still has merits, namely its speed (outspeeds Excadrill, Rotom-W and Garchomp), Steels not resisting STAB Foul Play (at least Fairies do not have titanic physical bulk) and Encore, which can guarantee the free turn of setup, unlike Thunder Wave. Sure, sound-based moves weren't favorable for Liepard and its bulk is pretty shit, but even SwagPard can boast more consistency than SwagKey, since STAB Foul Play hits defensive teams a tad harder and Encore can screw up their attempts at healing, nabbing yet another free Sub.
In conclusion, I'm not trying to say SwagKey is unviable, just more inconsistent.

Last edited:
Ran into a Swagger/Twave/FP Klefki last night on showdown and just raged because of this crap. I hoped that that crap would stay with Liepard but noooooo

I think klefki is def one of my fav pokes. I see a lot of people comparing it to liepard for swagsub and i think klefki has more advantages than liepard. Steel amd fairy typing give it 2 weaknesses ground and fire. Its immune to dragon and poison and a whole plethora of resists. Liepard has one immunity ans 2 resistz to ghost and dark. The fact that klegki can run multiple sets is what makes it dangerous too. It can be spiking support sweeper dual screener etc. Will it be ou? Probably not seeing as powerful ground types like garchomp amd mamoswine and the buff to electric typss like rotom. But how many prankster users were ou at the end of gen v? With the exception of thundurus i all of them! Whimsicott (who i plan on running a double prankster core with klefki with only 1 weakness to fire between them) sableye riolu murkrow liepard and thd prankster bugs (brain fart). I think they all have a niche and i love prankster lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)