Pokémon Klefki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heres what mine looks like. well I couldn't be bothered to wait all day for some one to post a decent iv spread, so just made my own up.
Klefki (Female) ItsaBigKey @ Focus Sash
Prankster
Calm Nature: Evs 252 HP, 128 Def, 128 sp. Def (Max Iv's in Defence, sp. defence and speed, with 30 HP)

Foul Play
Swagger
Thunder wave
Spikes

unlike all you guys I have rotten luck with set ups. and in one match on turn 1 Talonflame ripped through its confusion and OHKOed me. So rather than using sub as last slot, and leftovers, I've been using spikes with focus sash. If I know I'll die next turn, I can at least lay down some spikes, to remove other focus sash users, or use thunder wave. if I survive another turn then great I can do either of what I just said depending on what I used first.

I have had matches though at battle Maison, where I've successfully pulled of a X3 spikes but to have my opponent use something like Skarmory or Mandibuzz as last pokemon :/ so much for that idea.

I might actually like to try out reflect or Torment to see how well those go. just the set with Sub seems a bit cheap, and a way to loose friends. In fact swag/wave is already broken with Foul Play.

Edit: Is Magic room worth a look into. It stops opponents held items from working, and can stop their Persim, Cherri and Lum berries from working.
as for taunt. the only counter would be to use Taunt your self. if you see a likely taunt approach you could taunt them first, thanks to prankster.

Edit again. Klefki can't learn tm Taunt. :( (how unfortunate) might as well just go back to Draining Kiss then.

Last edited:
Is there anything that can openly wall and destroy swagkey.
I don't have any trouble crushing it, but it sure would be nice to speed up the process. It can take like, 5 turns. And I mean by what is available to us, as, as much our shiny friend heatran is cool, he's just not available. (I don't mean heatran can counter swagkey, but people keep discounting sets because heatran exists.)
I used Magnezone, but confusion is annoying.

I like how after I posted the SwagKey set, this entire thread devolved into way to counter it and how annoying it is.

Seriously though, Umbreon and Blissey are the best counters. Both don't give a crap about Foul Play, can set up against it and use Heal Bell and Wish to recover both themselves and their teammates from anything this set does. Synchronize on Umbreon is especially useful as it cripples SwagKeys. Electric and Ground Pokemon also make good checks as they are either to weak to threaten themselves with their own attack stat i.e. most electric Pokemon or are bulky enough to survive 3-4 hits i.e. most ground Pokemon while being immune to Thunder Wave. While they don't want to come in on a set up SwagKeys, they can come in on one without a substitute up. This forces them to switch, Swagger and take a hit 50% of the time (most likely killing them), or Substituting which will break right away.

While I personally like using SwagKeys as I also run a Choice Scarf Ditto, who absolutely loves the increased attack off the Pokemon it copies and appreciates the paralysis of enemy Scarfers, most people should stick with a support Klefki with Spikes or Dual Screens.

I like how after I posted the SwagKey set, this entire thread devolved into way to counter it and how annoying it is.

Seriously though, Umbreon and Blissey are the best counters. Both don't give a crap about Foul Play, can set up against it and use Heal Bell and Wish to recover both themselves and their teammates from anything this set does. Synchronize on Umbreon is especially useful as it cripples SwagKeys. Electric and Ground Pokemon also make good checks as they are either to weak to threaten themselves with their own attack stat i.e. most electric Pokemon or are bulky enough to survive 3-4 hits i.e. most ground Pokemon while being immune to Thunder Wave. While they don't want to come in on a set up SwagKeys, they can come in on one without a substitute up. This forces them to switch, Swagger and take a hit 50% of the time (most likely killing them), or Substituting which will break right away.

While I personally like using SwagKeys as I also run a Choice Scarf Ditto, who absolutely loves the increased attack off the Pokemon it copies and appreciates the paralysis of enemy Scarfers, most people should stick with a support Klefki with Spikes or Dual Screens.
Heal Bell does not cure confusion, and iirc Synchronize doesn't work on SwagKey if it has a Substitute up. It still doesn't take away from the fact that Umbreon, Chansey, and Blissey are the best counters of SwagKey. These are the Foul Play calcs against them:

Klefki Foul Play vs. +6 0- Atk 4 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 115-136 (17.63 - 20.85%) -- possible 7HKO
Klefki Foul Play vs. +2 0- Atk 252 HP / 4 Def Umbreon: 79-94 (20.05 - 23.85%) -- possible 6HKO
Klefki Foul Play vs. +6 0- Atk 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 63-75 (8.94 - 10.65%) -- 9HKO at best

Although...what can they do back other than try to PP stall Klefki?

Also, if you run SwagKey, your opponent will simply switch to a special attacker, especially if they see your Ditto in Team Preview. Smart opponents, anyways. It works amazingly in-game I guess? But then again, someone once soloed the E4 in HGSS with a Swagger/Spore/Transform Smeargle, lol. (But then again that same guy also soloed Koga with a Ledian who could only use Supersonic and Safeguard.)

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Heal Bell does not cure confusion, and iirc Synchronize doesn't work on SwagKey if it has a Substitute up. It still doesn't take away from the fact that Umbreon, Chansey, and Blissey are the best counters of SwagKey. These are the Foul Play calcs against them:

Klefki Foul Play vs. +6 0- Atk 4 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 115-136 (17.63 - 20.85%) -- possible 7HKO
Klefki Foul Play vs. +2 0- Atk 252 HP / 4 Def Umbreon: 79-94 (20.05 - 23.85%) -- possible 6HKO
Klefki Foul Play vs. +6 0- Atk 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 63-75 (8.94 - 10.65%) -- 9HKO at best

Although...what can they do back other than try to PP stall Klefki?
This. Counters switch in to Klefki and can immediately deal with the threat, but these walls merely put Klefki into a stalemate position. The fact that they cannot retaliate well or even make use of the Attack boosts makes them pathetically easy switch-ins, while the blob/Umbreon user cannot predict when the opponent will make this switch as a wrong double-switch can result in a crippled sweeper and prompt the aforementioned cleric to Heal Bell, making them even easier to switch into.

does klefki learn stealth rock. i want to train one, and spikes and stealth rock would work well together, as klefki would make a great lead

Because he really has no reason to use attack because foul play is so amazing, and since he'll never really use his attack, you should want him to have low attack for when it gets confused.

Been having fun at the Battle Maison using Draining Kiss over Sub and using Focus sash as my held item.
It wrecks things just as well, and can actually do something to hurt Umbreon. It 2HKOed a Hydreigon with the move with no EV investment, so i'm impressed.
actually technically i only used one draining kiss, because it knocked it's self out from confusion.
Taunt Umbreon and Taunt Mandibuzz can't handle it. In fact any Taunt dark types, can't do anything against a Draining Kiss set.

Edit: Just got my ass kicked, by an Umbreon. without the sub, you activate Synchronize, and Paralyse yourself. *Facepalm.
and while Key was fully paralysed, Umbreon just set up curses, and thanks to a turn 1 Swagger, KOed me with Payback.

Pehaps you do need the sub afterall.

Last edited:
Haha klefki is so fun! Been using mine in singles With Reflect-Light wall-thunder wave-spikes it drives people up the wall XD Had around 6 forfeits in the first couple turns because he just wont go away and is just evil.

I'm going to be SO annoying with this thing. Liepard 2.0
Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
IVs: 0 Atk
Calm Nature
- Swagger
- Substitute
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play
i am curious why is it focused on SDEF when its running swagger?

Punchshroom

i am curious why is it focused on SDEF when its running swagger?
+2 hits are going to do a number even to the most physically defensive Klefki; it is usually much more practical to invest in SDef for special attackers that aren't as affected by Foul Play by lessening the damage they do to you, giving them a lesser chance of breaking through Klefki.

A good example would be:
56+ SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD (custom): 175-207 (55.03 - 65.09%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
56+ SpA Rotom-W Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD (custom): 102-121 (32.07 - 38.05%) -- 1.56% chance to 3HKO

56+ SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD (custom): 124-147 (38.99 - 46.22%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
56+ SpA Rotom-W Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD (custom): 73-87 (22.95 - 27.35%) -- possible 5HKO

This is a pretty big difference, especially when you consider Rotom-W cannot be paralyzed. One Klefki is cleanly 2HKOed by Hydro Pump; the other may not even have its Substitute broken by Volt Switch. It gives Klefki a much more favorable matchup against Electric-types and weaker special attackers that have trouble breaking its Subs.

Huge taunt weakness, but could definetely do some form of damage to sweepers:

Klefki @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 Sp Def

-Thunder Wave
-Rest
-Calm mind
-dazzling gleam

Would that set make sense together with a taunt/sword dance/dragon claw(or outrage)/earthquake Haxorus?

Last edited:
+2 hits are going to do a number even to the most physically defensive Klefki; it is usually much more practical to invest in SDef for special attackers that aren't as affected by Foul Play by lessening the damage they do to you, giving them a lesser chance of breaking through Klefki.

A good example would be:
56+ SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD (custom): 175-207 (55.03 - 65.09%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
56+ SpA Rotom-W Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD (custom): 102-121 (32.07 - 38.05%) -- 1.56% chance to 3HKO

56+ SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD (custom): 124-147 (38.99 - 46.22%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
56+ SpA Rotom-W Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD (custom): 73-87 (22.95 - 27.35%) -- possible 5HKO

This is a pretty big difference, especially when you consider Rotom-W cannot be paralyzed. One Klefki is cleanly 2HKOed by Hydro Pump; the other may not even have its Substitute broken by Volt Switch. It gives Klefki a much more favorable matchup against Electric-types and weaker special attackers that have trouble breaking its Subs.
thanks! so its SPDEF for swagger and DEF for support dual screener yeah?

Punchshroom

thanks! so its SPDEF for swagger and DEF for support dual screener yeah?
SDef for Swagger is highly recommended, but for other Klefkis it comes down to the team's needs or Klefki's moveset. I have Light Screen & Foul Play on my Klefki to deal with either special or physical sweepers respectively, and max out physical Defense since I have no way of boosting it and to allow me to Foul Play more threats (the Defense also comes in handy vs Aegislash); but if you have more trouble with special sweepers like Greninja, Togekiss, Alakazam, Gengar, or Goodra, then a specially defensive spread is perfectly viable.

SDef for Swagger is highly recommended, but for other Klefkis it comes down to the team's needs or Klefki's moveset. I have Light Screen & Foul Play on my Klefki to deal with either special or physical sweepers respectively, and max out physical Defense since I have no way of boosting it and to allow me to Foul Play more threats (the Defense also comes in handy vs Aegislash); but if you have more trouble with special sweepers like Greninja, Togekiss, Alakazam, Gengar, or Goodra, then a specially defensive spread is perfectly viable.
Could you add Confide to his set along with Spikes, Foul Play, Protect/T-Wave? Seems like something fun to be able to mess with both Special attackers as well as Physicals. Just something i came up with after going through its TM movepool.

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
Confide is completely outclassed by Light Screen, which halves the damage taken from special attacks instead of cutting it by one-third, protects your whole team as long as it's up, and can't be done away with simply by switching the opponent's Pokemon. The only relevant Infiltrator users who run special attacks are Chandelure and Noivern, and it's not worth running Confide just for them (even before you take into account that Chandelure will pretty much always run Flash Fire and can roast Klefki with Fire Blast, and that Klefki walls Noivern pretty well already).

Let's discuss EVs for a second.

People have mentioned that, on a Swagger set, maxing out Def is preferred. And on a Screens set, SpD is preferred. So here's the kicker: What is the preference for a set that runs neither Swagger or Screens?

Klefki Leftovers
Bold
252 HP/ other EVs to be determined

Spikes
Thunderwave
Foul Play
Substitute

Should be pretty easy to figure out: Lead with it, set up what spikes you can, cause general annoyance.

Also, unrelated to the above, according to Serebii, Klefki can get Switcheroo as an egg move. Practical applications?

What about this:
Klefki @ Air Balloon
Thunderwave
Spikes
Substitute
Dazzling Gleam / Foul Play

Air Balloon gives immunity to ground type moves and also requires the attacking pokemon to waste a turn popping the item. This gives it a really nice immunity in ground - allowing it to switch in on Earthquake.

Yeah, SwagKey may be great and all, but can it deal with.... NUMEL?!

Numel is the only pokemon that resists paralysis and confusion (Own Tempo hidden ability) innately. Both its stabs are the only types that hit klefki for SE damage, AND it resists both of klefki's STABS.
FEAR THE DUMBASS CAMEL. FEAR IT, YOU LITTLE KEY SNATCHING FAIRY!
/sarcasm

On a serious note, I've run into a few of these on battle spot. It's evil and made me rage quit once, but other times, I was able to shut it down with Nidoking.

SwagKey can be a great shuffler (just from most people resorting to switching out) to rack up SR/spikes damage and may get a few KOs on att-based sweepers, and from an objective point of view, is probably a better shuffler than most with the added bonus of semi-reliably spreading paralysis (though the luck is two-way, so other times it can end up a liability to the team).
However, from a non-objective point of view, it's bad form to use something like this on your opponent for the same reason as double team/minimize. It adds a hell of a lot more luck into the mix and results in a match being much more about "can I hit this turn or not?" I personally won't use this set just because I don't want a bad reputation, nor do I want to make my opponent hate me rather than enjoy a good match with me.
I don't know if I'd go as far as banning this moveset, but I think the community will really see anyone who runs it in a negative light, which may end up making it disappear in its own right.

Can anybody confirm if Crafty Shield stays on the field if you switch out Klefki? I feel like i've run into situations where it doesn't work on a switch and I see no indication that switching stops it.

Can anybody confirm if Crafty Shield stays on the field if you switch out Klefki? I feel like i've run into situations where it doesn't work on a switch and I see no indication that switching stops it.
I just tried with a wild amoongus. After Crafty Shield, my growlithe was Toxic'd on the switch.
Looks like it's permanent safeguard for doubles/triples as long as klefki's there, but it's gone once it leaves.
Could be useful for singles, though if someone tries to put you to sleep or paralyze you, but I think there are better options for klefki.

EDIT:
I misread what crafty shield does. It protects from all non-damaging moves targeting your team. Yeah, this could be an amazing move in doubles/triples. I could see a set with it and protect/dazzling gleam/flash cannon, substitute, and iron def/calm mind @ leftovers in doubles and triples. It would promote longevity at the expense of another attacker/supporter.

Last edited:
I was thinking of a strategy for Klefki that would make it a real beast!

Nature: Bold
Item: Leftovers
EV's: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp.Def
Moveset:

Thunder Wave
Spikes
Dazzling Gleam/Draining Kiss
Fairy Lock/Calm Mind

Everything is pretty self-explanatory, just if you're using calm mind, use draining kiss to heal up a little. Fairy lock is a nice move to trap something that can't do much to Klefki.

I was thinking of a strategy for Klefki that would make it a real beast!

Nature: Bold
Item: Leftovers
EV's: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp.Def
Moveset:

Thunder Wave
Spikes
Dazzling Gleam/Draining Kiss
Fairy Lock/Calm Mind

Everything is pretty self-explanatory, just if you're using calm mind, use draining kiss to heal up a little. Fairy lock is a nice move to trap something that can't do much to Klefki.
I'd take Fairy Lock over spikes in this case.
It can work as a decent trapper against certain pokemon, but a misprediction can have you "trapping" a switched in troublesome pokemon.
However, if you do manage to trap something (especially a special attacker) and manage to get a few calm minds off, you can have a pretty decent threat.
I'd probably keep Draining Kiss for the constant recovery, and you could optionally replace twave with iron defense for even greater levels of sheer bulk.

The downside with this moveset is as mentioned the prediction factor with trapping with a move rather than a passive ability, and the lack of good coverage with only a single attacking move once whatever you've trapped has been KO'd.
Also, like all pokemon that depend on boosts to take hits, the lucky crit can end the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)