Knights of the Dragonic Order

Overview

After taking a hiatus from Pokemon since not so long after the introduction of the 5th generation, I decided to get back into the competitive scene and build a team so I can start laddering again. After reading up some Smog articles, I decided to base a team around DD Dragonite since I found his new ability, Multiscale, to be interesting.

After choosing a Pokemon to base my team around, I decided that I should help Dragonite sweep by the use of lures and a Magnezone. The general way to play this team is to keep up the offensive momentum as well as trying to take care of any checks to physical dragon sweeps.

Knights of the Dragonic Order

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Explosion
- Taunt

One of the lead I’ve been using since the glory days of the DP-era. It basically sets up my hazards, prevents slower supporters from doing their job, and U-Turn does a wonderful job of scouting while dealing a respectable amount of damage. Explosion might not be as powerful as it was before, but it still packs a punch coming from a 394 Atk stat if my Azelf is still alive, which it often is surprisingly enough. Team preview may have changed the lead meta, but this Pokemon still does its job well enough.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Rapid Spin

While this may have been put on the team originally to just get rid of the rocks while maintaining offensive pressure, play-testing made me have to use this Pokemon to deal with some of the faster threats to my team which aren’t scarfed. In fact, this star can even net a KO or two depending on the situation.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Terror to Ferrathorns, Skarmories, and Scizors alike, Magnezone usually gets the job of removing those troublesome Steel types. Still, I tend to have difficulty killing off Ferrathorns with rain supporting neutering HP Fire. In fact, I even debated on giving it Choice Specs instead or changing its set to a Sub Charge variant, but I found situation where the speed actually helped me take down some things such as weakened Jirachis. Also, I find Volt Switch a very useful tool for scouting.

Salamence (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 64 Atk / 192 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Draco Meteor
- Outrage
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

The main point of putting this guy on the team is to lure in Dragon checks. If Gliscor or some other none-steel physical wall comes in, I DM their faces and follow it up with an Outrage if they still survive. This dragon isn’t going to live for long most of the time, but he usually softens up whatever is blocking a DD sweep.

Kingdra (M) @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 152 HP / 140 Atk / 40 SDef / 176 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Waterfall
- Rest

One of my two DDers in this team. I used this before in the latter stages of the 4th Generation metagame and also seen it in a RMT the Smog showcased at one point. The reason for Kingdra’s place in this team is twofold: to set-up on the likes of Jellicant and Vaporean who would otherwise end most DD sweeps, and to help decimate Rain Teams. That double speed Swift Swim provides really does make revenge killing and/or setting-up a lot easier.

Dragonite (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 212 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Roostt

And here lies the centerpiece of the team. This guy can take hits like a champ as well as deal out the damage should he have enough DDs under his belt. Though I intended for this guy to usually appear during the endgame, the appearance of such threats like Latios in less than cloudy skies usually forces me to use this guy to revenge kill something else the blue-and-white dragon offed with a Dragon Type move, leaving me have to sweep the opponent with one of my other Pokemon since Dragonite usually doesn’t live long after revenge killing Latios or similar threats. Still, he does perform admirably if the conditions are right – which they usually are.

Threat List:

Cloyster: Pretty much a non-issue as long as I kill it fast enough. Even if it does manage to Shell Smash, I do have Magnezone who might be able to KO it should it be weakened enough and the oversized magnet having enough health to not die off.

Jirachi: Can sometimes be a problem, especially if it runs Body Slam and Iron Head on the same set, but it’s a threat I can usually play around by assaulting it with powerful attacks.

Ferrathorn: Pulling out this weed is child’s play should there be a lack of rain clouds. On the chance that this guy befriended with Politoad, I would be forced to pelt him. In fact, this Pokemon in the rain is one of the reasons I’m posting this team on the RMT forum.

Latios/Latias: I’m putting these two Pokemon together even though I rarely see Latias. These are Pokemon I can easily revenge kill with Kingdra should it be raining; otherwise, I likely have to resort to using Dragonite should the terrain be less than wet. Still, they aren’t too much of a threat as long as I play round them correctly.

Scrafty: A new threat the 5th Generation introduced which I learned of the hard way, namely a fist to the face. Out of all the Scrafty I have fought against, the ones which give me the most trouble is usually the set I have seen the most – Bulk Up with Rest. Since my team physically-based for the most part, I can hardly scratch the thing with most of my Pokemon. And should I try to wear it out with either Starmie or Magnezone, it will just Rest to get back the damage and promptly kill them off afterward, proceeding to sweep the rest of my team.

Conclusion
This is a team which generally does well as long as I keep my momentum going. Since the team is generally slow, I usually have to play around the faster threats before I can get them removed. The main concerns for my team are Ferrathorns under the rain and Bulk Up Scrafty.​

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
A couple of things.

If you must use Azelf here are a couple of suggestion. This set would have been amazing in Gen 4 but it falls kinda flat these days. Explosion got a massive nerf so I would recommend using something like Flamethrower/Fire Blast over it for Steel-types, or Psychich for STAB.

I also think you're quite weak to Speed boosting Dragons like Haxorus. After a Dragon Dance boost, Jolly Life Orb Haxorus outspeeds every single of member of your team and can OHKO all of them with Outrage, apart from Magnezone, who is 2HKOed after Stealth Rock anyway.

You need another Steel-type on your team. I suggest you use a Metagross set over Azelf.

Metagross @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Meteor Mash
-Bullet Punch
-Hammer Arm

Bullet Punch gives you strong priority against Haxorus and other frail sweepers such as Terrakion. Hammer Arm hits floating Steels and Meteor is an absurdly powerful STAB attack. You can also still have Stealth Rock but now you have an extra Dragon-type resist with excellent Defense.

EDIT: Also Kingdra and Dragonite only have three moves.

Thanks for the suggestion SkullCandy. I can see Metagross working on this team, so I'll give him a try. Dealing with the likes of boosting Dragons should be much easier now that I don't have to rely on Magnezone and Dragonite tanking those hits. It also gives me a fighting move I can use against Scrafty as well. Still, my team might be a bit weak to Scrafty even with these changes, but I don't think I can make more changes without harming the core of the team.

Also, I edited in Kindgra's and Dragonite's fourth move.

i think you'd be safe going with a choice specs on magnezone. i use a magnezone for getting rid of steels and one of the main ones i deal with is jirachi. mine is choice spec'd and i haven't lost a battle to a jirachi yet.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
This team has a real DP ''touch'' on it, so I think it should be adapted more to BW metagame right?

Ok, so I think you should use Choice Scarf Salamence
Salamence@Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 4 Def/252 Atk/252 Spe
Nature: Naive
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast
-Dragon Claw

This way, you would not only get a great Revenge Killer, but a cool late game sweeper as well.

Choice Scarf Magnezone is not very good for you, since it becomes easily set up bait and your team doesn't enjoy facing boosted pokemon.
So I think this set would fit your team much better, mainly because it beats Ferrothorn, who gives you trouble, too.

Magnezone@Leftovers
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Hp/252 SpAtk/252 Spe
Nature: Timid
-Substitute
-Thunderbolt
-Charge Beam
-Hidden Power Fire

With this set, you can defeat Scizor, Jirachi (most versions) and ferrothorn alike, while not becoming locked on 1 move.

I also think you should use a spread of 60 Hp/252 Atk/196 Spe on Dragonite, as well as ExtremeSpeed over Roost and Outrage over Dragon Claw Since your team is really offensive, and you already have magnezone, you won't mind being locked on Outrage. The spread is better since you won't find that many opportunities to set up and, as such, you would be ready to sweep much more quickly. ExtremeSpeed just gives you a nice priority move to be able to defeat Mamoswine more easily and being a nice way of taking out a frail sweepers that has somehow get out of control.

hey this is just a random idea i had, but i think it might work: how about using mixed dragonite and dragon dance or scarf moxie salamence?

dragonite is generally seen as a dragon dancer these days, which makes the primary switch-in for him on most teams a physical wall, such as gliscor, tangrowth, skarmory, slowbro, so on and so forth. because they're physical walls, they will not appreciate a life orbed draco meteor / fire blast off of dragonite's solid special attack stat. with them so easily lured and weakened or killed, dd / scarf salamence (who your opponent is more likely to expect a draco meteor from, since mixed is mence's most common set) will have a party, especially with moxie upping its attack after each kill.

feel free to disregard this, its just something i think would be effective. cool team btw!

Thanks for the rates so far guys. They have been of real help to me so far. I'll follow DestinyUnknown's suggestions for now since they fall most in line with the team. As for the Specs Magnezone and MixedNite, I might try them out later at one point and post here on how well they performed when I have the time.

By the way, thanks for the compliment BKC.

So here is how the team is looking:
- SupportGross
- SubZone
- Starmie
- ScarfMence
- ChestoRest Kingdra
- Offensive DDNite

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)