Krabby (Gen 4, LC Analysis)*

Dubulous

I look just like Buddy Holly.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/krabby

[OVERVIEW]

<p>Krabby's great Attack and Defense can make it very difficult to handle. In spite of its vulnerability to special attacks, proper team support can make Krabby a very formidable sweeper. If Krabby manages to get both a Swords Dance and an Agility boost, the opponent's only real hope is to chip away at Krabby with priority attacks. Krabby also has a great ability in Shell Armor, which means that a critical hit will never put an end to your sweep.</p>

[SET]
Name: Agility
Move 1: Agility
Move 2: Crabhammer
Move 3: Return
Move 4: Swords Dance / X-Scissor
Item: Oran Berry / Life Orb
Ability: Shell Armor
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 36 HP / 36 Def / 236 Atk / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Krabby is blessed with a great base Attack but its middling Speed and subpar Special Defense hinder its ability to pull off a sweep without a boost. Krabby attains perfect coverage through the use of two moves, Crabhammer and Return, so it can use the two remaining move slots to set up for a sweep. With an Adamant nature and after a Swords Dance, Krabby reaches an astronomical 44 Attack, which has a chance to OHKO every Pokemon in Little Cup, with the exception of Slowpoke. Krabby can also be effective without Swords Dance, however. X-Scissor is the recommended replacement, since, with a Life Orb, Krabby has a chance to OHKO Slowpoke if Stealth Rock is in play.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The idea of this set is to come in on a Pokemon who cannot threaten Krabby, like Bronzor or a weak physical attacker, and Agility on the switch. With the boost, Krabby reaches 28 Speed, which is surpassed only by Choice Scarf variants of Elekid, Diglett, and Voltorb. Fortunately, these are very rare sights in Little Cup.</p>

<p>Oran Berry is the recommended item so that Krabby can still get a boost off even if your opponent does not switch. Life Orb can also be an effective item, as it provides the extra oomph to turn some 2HKOs into OHKOs. If you go with Life Orb, dual screen support is recommended to preserve some of Krabby's durability. The EVs maximize Krabby's Attack and Speed while gaining a point in HP and Defense to help with its survivability. Shell Armor prevents a critical hit from prematurely ending your sweep, though Hyper Cutter can be used if you are worried about Intimidate users like Ekans and Snubbull.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Crabhammer
move 2: Return
move 3: Rock Slide
move 4: Brick Break / Superpower / X-Scissor
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Shell Armor
nature: Adamant
evs: 36 HP / 36 Def / 236 Atk / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Although a maximum Speed of 14 is mediocre at best, Krabby outspeeds all unboosted Pokemon in Little Cup with a Choice Scarf attached. Krabby also has a great Attack stat, allowing it to do substantial damage even without help from Swords Dance or a Choice Band. The combination of Crabhammer and Return will hit every Pokemon in Little Cup for at least neutral damage, while the other moves provide for additional coverage.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Crabhammer and Return are the primary attacks on this set, since they provide unresisted coverage. Rock Slide will hit Mantyke who expect to absorb a Crabhammer for super effective damage. Brick Break provides further coverage, and it can also break any screens that your opponent has set up. Superpower can be used if you want to hit harder, but the resulting Attack and Defense drop means that Krabby cannot stay in for long. Additionally, X-Scissor can be used if Grass- and Psychic-types give you trouble.</p>

<p>The EVs are relatively simple, allowing Krabby to hit a sky-high 22 Attack and 21 Speed. Krabby also gets an extra point in both HP and Defense, providing it with more survivability. Shell Armor should be used to prevent a critical hit from ruining your day.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Krabby has a good enough Defense stat to take a physical hit and set up an Agility, but it is vulnerable to special attacks. Light Screen can alleviate this problem. Bronzor can reliably set up both Light Screen and Reflect, and Abra is fast enough that it can almost always set up Light Screen. Baltoy deserves a mention as well, since it can come in on Electric-type attacks aimed at Krabby with impunity. Entry hazard support is also nice to have, especially to break Focus Sashes. Gligar, Diglett, and Phanpy provide great Stealth Rock support, and they can switch in for free on Electric-type attacks.</p>

<p>Krabby is vulnerable to priority attacks, so it is best to eliminate their common users before bringing Krabby in. Croagunk is perhaps the most common priority user, so having a Pokemon who can take it out will help tremendously. Mantyke can absorb Vacuum Waves like they are nothing and OHKO with Hidden Power Flying, and Gligar can easily switch in and OHKO with Earthquake, though it must be wary of Ice Punch. Chinchou can also come in on an Agility and threaten to OHKO Krabby, so a partner who can take Chinchou out is recommended. Diglett absorbs Electric-type attacks, traps Chinchou, and OHKOes with Earthquake.</p>

<p>Wynaut is a great teammate for Krabby, since it can use Encore to force an opponent to use a weak physical move or a set-up move, allowing Krabby to come in and set up. Snover also deserves a mention, since it can take Electric- and Grass-type attacks quite well.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Krabby does not have many other moves to work with. It learns Flail, which can be used with a Focus Sash to net a surprise KO. However, Krabby's subpar Speed makes it unlikely that you will score more than a single KO. Krabby could run a Choice Band set with the same moves as the Choice Scarf set, but its mediocre Speed remains an issue.</p>

<p>Double-Edge is illegal with Agility but can be used over Return on the Choice Scarf set to add a bit more attacking power, though the recoil damage often outweighs the boost. Krabby learns Iron Defense to boost its already sky-high Defense stat, but its vulnerability to special attacks makes it gimmicky at best. It also learns Knock Off, which can be used to get rid of pesky Oran Berries, but Krabby is often better off trying to KO through them.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Any bulky special attacker can beat Krabby in most cases. Chinchou can switch in on either of Krabby's set-up moves and either outspeed it or survive an unboosted Return and OHKO with Thunderbolt. Mantyke is immune to Crabhammer and can threaten Krabby with a super effective Hidden Power. Croagunk is a great counter to Krabby, since it can come in on Crabhammer unscathed and inflict massive damage with Vacuum Wave.</p>

askaninjask

[FLAIL ARMS]
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

[Set]
Name: Dual Set Up
Move 4: Swords Dance
Item: Oran Berry
EVs: 72 HP / 236 Atk / 196 Spe

[Set Comments]
<p>Krabby was blessed with a great Base Attack but has middling speed and defenses to allow it to pull off a sweep without a boost. This set is designed to rectify this problem through the use of Agility. </p>

<p> The idea of this set is to come in on something that cannot threaten Krabby and Agility on the switch. With the boost, Krabby reaches 28 speed, which is only outsped by Scarf Elekid, Diglett, and Voltorb. Fortunately, these are very rare sights in Little Cup. </p> Well, Scarf Diglett actually isn't too uncommon, and what is there that can't threaten krabby? Bronzor? Try putting in at least one example.

<p> Once Krabby has an Agility under its belt, it can begin to attack. <-- is this sentence necessary? Crabhammer is Krabby’s strongest Physical STAB, and Return provides great coverage alongside it, since the combination of Water and Normal hits everything in Little Cup for at least neutral damage. Swords Dance is the recommended last move for Krabby, since with a Swords Dance Krabby can OHKO everything in Little Cup. i doubt the factuality of this</p>

<p> Oran Berry is the recommended item so that Krabby can still get a boost off without forcing a switch. It can also provide the opportunity to Swords Dance if the opponent does switch. The EVs maximize Krabby’s attack and speed while gaining a point in HP to help with its survivability. Shell Armor prevents a Critical Hit from prematurely ending your sweep. if you have an agility, then why do you have to worry about CH's? Protection from Ekans's intimidate seems pretty viable as well.</p>

<p> Krabby is vulnerable to priority attacks, so it is best to eliminate users of them before bringing Krabby in. Croagunk is perhaps the most common priority user, so having something that can take it out will help tremendously. Mantyke can absorb Vacuum Waves like nothing and OHKOs with Hidden Power Flying, and Gligar easily switch in and OHKO with Earthquake. Chinchou can also come in on an Agility and threaten to OHKO Krabby, so a partner that can take Chinchou out is recommended. Diglett absorbs Electric attacks, traps Chinchou, and OHKO(no ' needed)s with Earthquake. </p>

[Set]
evs: 72 HP / 236 Atk / 196 Spe

[Set Comments]
<p> Since Krabby hits the magic number of 14 speed, it can run a Choice Scarf set pretty effectively. With a Choice Scarf attached, it outspeeds all non-boosted Pokemon in Little Cup. Krabby also has a great Attack stat to make it a great option.</p>

<p> Crabhammer and Return are the primary attacks on this set, since they provide unresisted coverage (deleted). Rock Slide will hit Mantyke that expect to absorb a Crabhammer for super effective damage. Brick Break provides further coverage, but it can also break any screens that your opponent has set up. Superpower can be used if you want to hit harder, but Krabby can’t stay in for long if it uses it. Additionally, if Grass- and Psychic-types give you trouble X-Scissor can be used. </p>

<p> The EVs again are relatively simple, allowing Krabby to hit a sky-high 22 Attack and 21 Speed. Krabby also gets an extra point in HP, providing it more survivability. Shell Armor should be used to prevent a Critical Hit from ruining your day.</p>

<p> The teammates are essentially the same as the Set Up set, but you should be wary of Pokemon that are immune to either Crabhammer or Return. Mantyke can come in on a Crabhammer and proceed to set up and Agility. Chinchou can help take care of them, since it threatens to OHKO with Thunderbolt. Stunky can Pursuit or Sucker Punch any ghosts that come in on Return. </p>
Pretty good overall, although I can't see why Shell Armor is so much better than Hyper Cutter. Regardless, the prose of the analysis is really good.

[Set Comments]
<p>Krabby was blessed with a great Base Attack but has middling speed and defenses to allow it to pull off a sweep without a boost. This set is designed to rectify this problem through the use of Agility. </p>
This doesn't really make that much sense.

Maybe change it to something like:
[Set Comments]
<p>Krabby was blessed with a great Base Attack but it's middling speed and defenses hinder its ability to pull off a sweep without a boost. This set is designed to rectify this problem through the use of Agility. </p>

Dual screen support definitely needs to be mentioned on the Dual Set Up set. It makes Krabby much more threatening, and gives it an easier time to sweep. You could mention Abra and Bronzor, as they are pretty good at it.

Life Orb also needs to be slashed in with the dual set up set, even if it kind of risky, but that's mainly the reason why dual screen support is so important. Also, Krabby will basically OHKO everything in Little Cup with Life Orb at +2, even Bronzor.

You need to fix your formatting to. The <p> and </p> tags are not to be spaced at the beginning and end of the paragraph.

<p>It should look like this.</p> <p> Not like this. </p>

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
<p>Krabby was blessed with a great base Attack but its middling Speed and defenses hinder its ability to pull off a sweep without a boost. This set is designed to rectify this problem through the use of Agility.</p>

<p>The idea of this set is to come in on something that cannot threaten Krabby, like Bronzor or a weak physical attacker, and Agility on the switch. With the boost, Krabby reaches 28 Speed, which is only outsped by Scarfed variants of Elekid, Diglett, and Voltorb. Fortunately, these are very rare sights in Little Cup.</p>

<p>Crabhammer is Krabby’s strongest physical STAB, and Return provides great coverage alongside it, since the combination of Water and Normal hits everything in Little Cup for at least neutral damage. Swords Dance is the recommended last move for Krabby, since with a Swords Dance Krabby can OHKO everything in Little Cup.</p>

<p>Oran Berry is the recommended item so that Krabby can still get a boost off without forcing a switch. It can also provide the opportunity to Swords Dance if the opponent does switch. Life Orb can also be an effective item, as it provides the extra oomph to turn some 2HKOs into OHKOs (if you have any examples, I'd list them here; if not, I'd just rephrase it so you're not making an eroneous statement). Dual screen support is necessary, however, so that Krabby can take hits better. The EVs maximize Krabby’s Attack and Speed while gaining a point in HP to help with its survivability. Shell Armor prevents a critical hit from prematurely ending your sweep, though Hyper Cutter can be used if you're worried about Intimidate users like Ekans and Snubbul.</p>

<p>Krabby is vulnerable to priority attacks, so it is best to eliminate their common users before bringing Krabby in. Croagunk is perhaps the most common priority user, so having something that can take it out will help tremendously. Mantyke can absorb Vacuum Waves like nothing and OHKO with Hidden Power Flying, and Gligar easily switch in and OHKO with Earthquake. Chinchou can also come in on an Agility and threaten to OHKO Krabby, so a partner that can take Chinchou out is recommended. Diglett absorbs Electric attacks, traps Chinchou, and OHKOes with Earthquake. Krabby also greatly appreciates the support of dual screens, which gives it much more survivability. Abra and Bronzor can reliably get up both screens and can be great teammates for Krabby.</p>

<p>Since Krabby hits the magic number of 14 Speed, it can run a Choice Scarf set pretty effectively. With a Choice Scarf attached, it outspeeds all non-boosted Pokemon in Little Cup. Krabby also has a great Attack stat to make it a great option.</p>

<p>Crabhammer and Return are the primary attacks on this set, since they provide unresisted coverage. Rock Slide will hit Mantyke that expect to absorb a Crabhammer for super effective damage. Brick Break provides further coverage, but it can also break any screens that your opponent has set up. Superpower can be used if you want to hit harder, but Krabby can’t stay in for long if it uses it. Additionally, if Grass- and Psychic-types give you trouble X-Scissor can be used.</p>

<p>The EVs again are relatively simple, allowing Krabby to hit a sky-high 22 Attack and 21 Speed. Krabby also gets an extra point in HP, providing it more survivability. Shell Armor should be used to prevent a critical hit from ruining your day.</p>

<p>The teammates are essentially the same as the Dual Set Up set, but you should be wary of Pokemon that are immune to either Crabhammer or Return. Mantyke can come in on a Crabhammer and proceed to set up and Agility. Chinchou can help take care of them, since it threatens to OHKO with Thunderbolt. Stunky can Pursuit or Sucker Punch any Ghosts that come in on Return.</p>

I'll come through and check more of this once you get it done.

Dubulous

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I finally got around to finishing this; I'm not too pleased with my phrasing of some things but at least the content is all there.

I still need to put in Xia's edits but I'll do those later today.

I think team options needs to be expanded a bit.

It should look like this:

- 1 general paragraph, for entry Hazards / Screens / etc
- 1 offensive paragraph, for Pokemon who weaken Krabby's counters or who benefits from the walls that Krabby weakens (like Wynaut for Encore and Croagunk trapping, Gligar, Missy, Dratini, etc)
- 1 defensive paragraph, for Pokemon Krabby has great defensive synergy with (I guess Bronzor, Snover, etc)

Right now you only have a little bit of info in the 1 paragraph. It's also quite unorganized.

Dubulous

OK thanks for the advice Heysup, I think I fixed it up to standards now (I hope). I also added a bit more to the Set Comments.

Changes in Blue.
Comments in Red.
Krabby can absolutely wreck unprepared teams using its very high Attack and decent Defense stats. I don't play LC, but I felt a comment was needed as to how Krabby wrecks shit up; alter how you wish Unfortunately, due to Krabby being so vulnerable to special attacks, Added comma it can rarely pull off a sweep on its own.

Dual screen support is necessary, however, so that Krabby can take hits better. I would simply recommend a DS strategy instead of it being a necessity, unless you can provide calcs as to why DSs are absolutely needed

Omitted 'Since' Krabby hits the magic number of 14 Speed, allowing it to run a Choice Scarf set quite effectively. With a Choice Scarf attached, it outspeeds all non-boosted Pokemon in Little Cup. Krabby also has a great Attack stat to make great use of a Choice Scarf.

Additionally, if Grass- and Psychic-types give you trouble, Added comma X-Scissor can be used.

Gligar, Diglett, and Phanpy provide great Stealth Rock support, and they can switch in for free on Electric attacks; one should be cautious for Grass attacks, however. Again, I don't play LC, but both Krabby and these partners don't take Grass well, although, I'm not sure if any set uses both; alter as you wish

Krabby is vulnerable to priority attacks, so it is best to eliminate their common users before bringing Krabby in. Croagunk is perhaps the most common priority user, so having something that can take it out will help tremendously. Mantyke can absorb Vacuum Waves like nothing and OHKO with Hidden Power Flying, and Gligar easily switch in and OHKO with Earthquake, though it must be wary of Ice Punch. Chinchou can also come in on an Agility and threaten to OHKO Krabby, so a partner that can take Chinchou out is recommended. Diglett absorbs Electric attacks, traps Chinchou, and OHKOs with Earthquake. I don't like how this paragraph is set up. Most of the sentences are things most battlers would assume and you provide, IMO, band-aid solutions. Maybe it's just the matter-of-fact attitude that these sentences bring; feel free to disregard my rantings, as I know virtually nothing of LC

Wynaut is a great teammate for Krabby, since it can use Encore to force an opponent to use a weak physical move or a set-up move only to have Krabby come in and set up. Snover also deserves a mention, since it can take Electric and Grass attacks quite well. AFAIK, Wynaut will be going to Uber soon, as will Snover, but again my knowledge is limited

Krabby is often too slow to get more than one use, however. Krabby could run a Choice Band set with the same moves as the Choice Scarf set, but it's mediocre Speed hinders its effectiveness.

The questionable material is mostly LC metagame problems, which can be fixed by more reputable battlers than I. Other than that, good write-up.

Hope I helped.

Stuff to add is bold.
Stuff to get rid of is in ()
Explanations are in "quotation marks"

[Overview]
<p>Krabby can absolutely wreck unprepared teams by utilizing it's great Attack and Defense stats. However, because Krabby is so vulnerable to special attacks, it can rarely pull off a sweep on its own. With proper team support, however, Krabby can be very difficult to handle. If Krabby manages to get both a Swords Dance and an Agility boost, the opponent's only real hope is to chip away at Krabby with priority attacks. Krabby also has a great ability in Shell Armor, which means that a critical hit will never put an end to your sweep.</p>

[Set]

[Set Comments]
<p>Krabby was blessed with a great base Attack but its middling Speed and Special Defense hinder its ability to pull off a sweep without a boost. Krabby attains perfect coverage through the use of two moves, Crabhammer and Return, so it can use the two remaining move slots to set up for a sweep. With an Adamant nature and a Swords Dance, Krabby reaches an astronomical 44 Attack, which has a chance to OHKO every Pokemon in Little Cup.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>The idea of this set is to come in on something that cannot threaten Krabby, like Bronzor or a weak physical attacker, and Agility on the switch. With the boost, Krabby reaches 28 Speed, which is only outsped by Scarfed variants of Elekid, Diglett, and Voltorb. Fortunately, these are very rare sights in Little Cup.</p>

<p>Oran Berry is the recommended item so that Krabby can still get a boost off without forcing a switch. It can also provide the opportunity to Swords Dance if the opponent does switch. Life Orb can also be an effective item, as it provides the extra oomph to turn some 2HKOs into OHKOs. Dual screen support is recommended, (however,) so that Krabby can take hits better. The EVs maximize Krabby's Attack and Speed while gaining a point in HP and Defense to help with its survivability. Shell Armor prevents a critical hit from prematurely ending your sweep, though Hyper Cutter can be used if you are worried about Intimidate users like Ekans and Snubbull.</p>

[Set]

[Set Comments]
<p>Krabby hits the magic number of 14 Speed, which means that it can run a Choice Scarf set to great effect. With a Choice Scarf attached, Krabby outspeeds all non-boosted Pokemon in Little Cup. Krabby also has a great Attack stat to make it a great option. The combination of Crabhammer and Return will hit every Pokemon in Little Cup for at least neutral damage, while the other moves provide for additional coverage.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>Crabhammer and Return are the primary attacks on this set, since they provide unresisted coverage. Rock Slide will hit Mantyke that expect to absorb a Crabhammer for super effective damage. Brick Break provides further coverage, but it can also break any screens that your opponent has set up. Superpower can be used if you want to hit harder, but Krabby can’t stay in for long if it uses it. Additionally, if Grass- and Psychic-types give you trouble, X-Scissor can be used.</p>

<p>The EVs again are relatively simple, allowing Krabby to hit a sky-high 22 Attack and 21 Speed. Krabby also gets an extra point in HP and Defense, providing it with more survivability. Shell Armor should be used to prevent a critical hit from ruining your day.</p>

[Team Options]
<p>Krabby has a good enough Defense stat to take a physical hit and set up an Agility, but it is vulnerable to special attacks. Light Screen can alleviate this problem. Bronzor can reliably set up both Light Screen and Reflect, and Abra is fast enough that it can almost always set up Light Screen. Baltoy deserves a mention as well, since it can come in on Electric attacks aimed at Krabby with impunity. Entry Hazard support is also nice to have to break Focus Sashes. Gligar, Diglett, and Phanpy provide great Stealth Rock support, and they can switch in for free on Electric attacks.</p>

<p>Krabby is vulnerable to priority attacks, so it is best to eliminate their common users before bringing Krabby in. Croagunk is perhaps the most common priority user, so having something that can take it out will help tremendously. Mantyke can absorb Vacuum Waves like nothing and OHKO with Hidden Power Flying, and Gligar easily switch in and OHKO with Earthquake, though it must be wary of Ice Punch. Chinchou can also come in on an Agility and threaten to OHKO Krabby, so a partner that can take Chinchou out is recommended. Diglett absorbs Electric attacks, traps Chinchou, and OHKOs with Earthquake.</p>

<p>Wynaut is a great teammate for Krabby, since it can use Encore to force an opponent to use a weak physical move or a set-up move only to have Krabby come in and set up. Snover also deserves a mention, since it can take Electric and Grass attacks quite well.</p>

[Optional Changes]
<p>Krabby does not have many other moves to work with. It learns Flail, which can be used with a Focus Sash to net a surprise KO. It is too slow to get more than one often, however. Krabby could run a Choice Band set with the same moves as the Choice Scarf set, but its mediocre speed hinders its effectiveness.</p>

<p>Krabby learns Iron Defense to boost its already sky-high Defense stat, but its vulnerability to special attacks makes it gimmicky at best. It also learns Knock Off, which can be used to get rid pesky Oran Berries, but Krabby is often better off trying to KO through them.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Any bulky special attacker can beat Krabby in most cases. Chinchou can switch in on either of Krabby’s set-up moves, and either outspeed or survive an unboosted Return and OHKO with Thunderbolt. Mantyke is immune to Crabhammer and can threaten Krabby with a super-effective Hidden Power. Croagunk is a great counter to Krabby, since it can come in on Crabhammer unscathed and threaten massive damage with Vacuum Wave.</p>
Just one nitpick.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Is Agility without SD not viable? How about Substitute, other somewhat bulky hard hitters seem to be able to sue it to good effect. Maybe even a Sub+SD set could be worth testing. Maybe Double-Edge could get a OC mention?

And Purple Wobb, if you're just going to make one correction there is no need to quote the entire analysis, especially without HIDE tags.

Edit:
[16:05] <Dubulous> let's discuss what kind of sets to go into analyses
[16:07] <macle> ok
[16:07] <Dubulous> it's only good sets right
[16:07] <Dubulous> mediocre sets should not go in
[16:10] <ete_semiafk> Viable ones generally go in
[16:10] =-= YOU are now known as ete
[16:10] =-= User mode for ete is now +r
[16:11] <ete> Not bad sets
[16:11] <ete> or outclassed ones
[16:11] <ete> but ones which work well and will be the best choice in some situations
[16:11] <ete> that are not too rare
[16:11] <Dubulous> hrmm
[16:12] <ete> I assume you're thinking about my post in krabby
[16:12] <ete> I've not tested those sets, so I'm not sure
[16:12] <Dubulous> yeah
[16:12] <ete> but just from theorymon, it would be surprising if they were not worth a mention
[16:13] <ete> if not a full set
[16:13] <ete> Like pure agility
[16:13] <ete> you're not always going to have time for SD
[16:13] <Dubulous> pure agility i think will work just fine
[16:13] <ete> and the extra attack must let you beat a few things
[16:13] <ete> Double Edge?
[16:14] <ete> or Sub?
[16:14] <Dubulous> i will be trying sub but i have a feeling it won't be very good
[16:15] <ete> if it's not then don't put it in
[16:15] <ete> if its kinda meh but helps sometimes, then put it in OC
[16:15] <Dubulous> also
[16:16] <Dubulous> what if i slashed another move into the dual set up set
[16:16] <ete> for over SD?
[16:16] <ete> *-for
[16:16] <Dubulous> yeah
[16:16] <ete> you'd need to change the name
[16:16] <Dubulous> well yeah
[16:16] <ete> Not sure if the difference in playstyle is small enough to make it worth combining
[16:17] <ete> one almost needs DS
[16:17] <ete> the other could play more like AgiliChou
[16:17] <Dubulous> hrmmm
[16:17] <ete> dual setup is going for a clean sweep almost
[16:17] <ete> Agility is happy to clean up a poke or two/three at the end
[16:18] <ete> and maybe get stopped
[16:18] <ete> you're going to be the one with experence
[16:18] <ete> so, if you think they are very similar put it as a slash
[16:19] <ete> otherwise another set.
[16:19] <ete> mm
[16:19] <ete> I bet LO would work on Agility
[16:19] <ete> without SD
[16:19] <Dubulous> i bet you're right
[16:19] <ete> to give a bit more power
[16:19] <ete> since you don;t need to last as long
[16:19] <ete> mm
[16:20] <ete> I'd like to see a few more calcs
[16:20] <ete> like Bronzor against +2 crabhammer
[16:20] <Dubulous> ohko
[16:20] <ete> return against Slowpoke?
[16:20] <Dubulous> i didn't do that one
[16:21] <ete> right
[16:22] <ete> 64.3% - 78.6%
[16:22] <ete> that's annoying
[16:22] <Dubulous> that is annoying
[16:22] <ete> though that is max/max slowpoke
[16:22] <ete> and I bet X-Scissor OHKOes
[16:22] =-= GECafk is now known as GEC
[16:23] <ete> 107.1% - 128.6%
[16:23] <ete> yea
[16:23] <ete> just
[16:23] <ete> both at +2
[16:23] <ete> oh, wait
[16:23] <ete> nature
[16:23] <Dubulous> +2 does
[16:23] <ete> 67.9% - 82.1%
[16:23] <ete> is +2 return
[16:24] <ete> against bold/max/max
[16:24] <ete> from adamant max
[16:24] <Dubulous> with a life orb it's a bit better
[16:24] <ete> yea
[16:24] <Dubulous> but still
[16:24] <ete> but getting +2/+2 with LO
[16:24] <ete> is not easy
[16:24] <ete> You can KO it after it's taken some damage
[16:25] <ete> a few calcs against Pokemon like slowpoke would be nice
[16:25] <Dubulous> i did lileep and bronzor
[16:25] <Dubulous> and figured those were the bulkiest ok i'm done
[16:25] <ete> lil is neutral to water
[16:26] <ete> you'll want to check water resisting Pokemon
[16:26] <Dubulous> right exactly
[16:26] <ete> mostly
[16:26] <ete> and maybe throw in one for Bronzor
[16:26] <ete> since you don't actually say it OHKOes zor as far as I can see
[16:27] -->| askaninjask (ninjask@evacuate.now.now.now.now.now.now) has joined #littlecup
[16:27] =-= Mode #littlecup +h askaninjask by ChanServ
[16:27] <ete> hi ann
[16:27] <askaninjask> hi ete
[16:27] <ete> we have a lot of hops
[16:27] <Dubulous> i think i mention it ohkos almost everything
[16:27] <--| robo_ho-oh has left #littlecup
[16:27] <askaninjask> aren't xia and xiafk the same hop
[16:27] <ete> yea, but examples are much better
[16:27] <Dubulous> ok
[16:28] <ete> than general statements
[16:28] <ete> if you can check it
[16:28] <ete> say it OHKOes all pokes that don't resist water
[16:28] -->| sbc (~pen@synIRC-D07E20C2.range86-149.btcentralplus.com) has joined #littlecup
[16:28] =-= Mode #littlecup +o sbc by ChanServ
[16:28] <ete> but make sure that the statement is correct
[16:28] <sbc> the cap server is fecked for me
[16:28] <ete> hi sbc
[16:28] <ete> that too?
[16:28] <Xia> <askaninjask> aren't xia and xiafk the same hop
[16:28] <Xia> yes
[16:28] <sbc> hi
[16:28] <ete> in what way
[16:28] <Xia> I haven't logged off of the other computer
[16:29] <sbc> I can't log on
[16:29] <ete> huh
[16:29] <sbc> takes ages
[16:29] <sbc> then takes me to an empty server
[16:29] <ete> odd
[16:30] <ete> dub, probably add slowpoke to counters too
[16:30] |<-- Xia has left irc.synirc.net (Quit: CGI:IRC)
[16:30] <Dubulous> definitely will do
[16:30] <Dubulous> i completely forgot it existed
[16:30] <ete> since it can Twave
[16:30] <Dubulous> :/
[16:30] <ete> at the least
[16:30] <ete> heh
[16:30] <ete> not going to do a ton of damage back
[16:30] <ete> but will stop your sweep
[16:31] <ete> oh, nice: 78.6% - 92.9%
[16:31] <ete> +2 Double edge
[16:31] <ete> decent chance to OHKO with SR
[16:32] <ete> maybe mention that with the OC mention of D-E
[16:32] <ete> and slowpoke with a more balanced spread will fare worse
[16:32] <ete> hmm
[16:33] <ete> for BB/Superpower
[16:33] -->| jerry_the_jolteon (Mibbit@synIRC-DFDBEFE.c3-0.tlg-ubr7.atw-tlg.pa.cable.rcn.com) has joined #littlecup
[16:33] <ete> What is Superpower actually needed for
[16:33] |<-- Dracoyoshi8 has left irc.synirc.net (NickServ (GHOST command used by jerry_the_jolteon))
[16:33] <ete> like, does it OHKO muncy or something where BB would not
[16:33] <ete> *munchy
[16:33] =-= jerry_the_jolteon is now known as Dracoyoshi8
[16:33] =-= Mode #littlecup +h Dracoyoshi8 by ChanServ
[16:33] <Iluvtogekiss> wouldent +2 waterfall
[16:33] <Iluvtogekiss> ohko munch
[16:33] <Dubulous> yeah
[16:33] =-= church_music is now known as eevator_music
[16:33] <ete> this is on scarf
[16:34] <Dubulous> it doesn't learn waterfall
[16:34] <Iluvtogekiss> o
[16:34] <Iluvtogekiss> I meant
[16:34] <ete> and that
[16:34] <Iluvtogekiss> crabhammer
[16:34] <Dracoyoshi8> what is the scarf set?
[16:34] <Iluvtogekiss> obv
[16:34] <ete> name: Choice Scarf
[16:34] <ete> move 1: Crabhammer
[16:34] <ete> move 2: Return
[16:34] <ete> move 3: Rock Slide
[16:34] <ete> move 4: Brick Break / Superpower / X-Scissor
[16:34] <ete> item: Choice Scarf
[16:34] <ete> ability: Shell Armor
[16:34] <ete> nature: Adamant
[16:34] <ete> evs: 36 HP / 36 Def / 236 Atk / 196 Spe
[16:34] <Dracoyoshi8> why shell armor?
[16:34] <Dracoyoshi8> Hyper Cuteer is better
[16:34] <Dracoyoshi8> Cutter*
[16:35] <Dracoyoshi8> Ekans is OU, ya know
[16:35] <ete> lol
[16:35] <ete> Blocking double damage is cool
[16:35] <ete> 6.25% of the time
[16:35] <Dubulous> shell armor is better
[16:35] <ete> especially with DS up
[16:35] <Dracoyoshi8> I could be a gimmick and use Seed Bomb Ekans just for Krabby
[16:35] <Dracoyoshi8> A gimmick of a gimmick
[16:35] <ete> Hyper Cuteer :p
[16:35] <Dracoyoshi8> who would have thought
[16:36] <Dracoyoshi8> although
[16:36] <Dracoyoshi8> Shinx would be better than Ekans
[16:36] <Dracoyoshi8> at beating krabby
[16:36] <ete> heh
[16:36] <eevator_music> both weakmons!
[16:36] <ete> Krabby has a poor movepool
[16:36] <ete> outside a few moves
[16:36] <ete> :(
[16:37] <Dubulous> i'm aware
[16:37] <ete> The best odd set I can find is like
[16:37] <Dubulous> lol
[16:37] <Dracoyoshi8> eh, Krabby has Night Slash
[16:37] <Dracoyoshi8> it hits Duskull
[16:37] <eevator_music> weakmon
[16:37] <ete> Amnesia >_>
[16:37] <Dracoyoshi8> who could burn the fucker
[16:37] <macle> and missy
[16:37] <macle> !
[16:37] <eevator_music> and misdreavus...
[16:37] |<-- Iluvtogekiss has left irc.synirc.net (Ping timeout)
[16:37] <eevator_music> what is a little more important ahaha
[16:37] <ete> draco
[16:37] <ete> how?
[16:37] <ete> I don't see it
[16:37] <Dubulous> also no it does not get night slash
[16:37] <ete> http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/krabby/moves
[16:37] <Dracoyoshi8> Duskull has WoW
[16:37] <eevator_music> lol
[16:37] <Dubulous> stop making things up
[16:37] <Dracoyoshi8> what
[16:37] <ete> no night slash
[16:38] -->| Vader (~Overman@the.kind.of.guy.who.laughs.at.a.funeral) has joined #littlecup
[16:38] =-= Mode #littlecup +ao Vader Vader by ChanServ
[16:38] <ete> hi vader
[16:38] <Dracoyoshi8> oh
[16:38] <Dracoyoshi8> Corphish has it

[Overview]
<p>Krabby's great Attack and Defense can make it very difficult to handle. In spite of its vulnerability to special attacks, proper team support can make Krabby a very formiddable sweeper. If Krabby manages to get both a Swords Dance and an Agility boost, the opponent's only real hope is to chip away at Krabby with priority attacks. Krabby also has a great ability in Shell Armor, which means that a critical hit will never put an end to your sweep.</p>

1. First couple of sentences reworded: redundancy and awkwardness

[Set]

[Set Comments]
<p>Krabby was blessed with a great base Attack but its middling Speed and Special Defense hinder its ability to pull off a sweep without a boost. Krabby attains perfect coverage through the use of two moves, Crabhammer and Return, so it can use the two remaining move slots to set up for a sweep. With an Adamant nature and after a Swords Dance, Krabby reaches an astronomical 44 Attack, which has a chance to OHKO every Pokemon in Little Cup.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>The idea of this set is to come in on something that cannot threaten Krabby, like Bronzor or a weak physical attacker, and Agility on the switch. With the boost, Krabby reaches 28 Speed, surpassed only by Scarfed variants of Elekid, Diglett, and Voltorb. Fortunately, these are very rare sights in Little Cup.</p>

<p>Oran Berry is the recommended item, allowing Krabby to set up even if your opponent does not switch. Life Orb can also be an effective item, as it provides the extra oomph to turn some 2HKOs into OHKOs. If you go with Life Orb, dual screen support is recommended, to preserve some of Krabby's durability. The EVs maximize Krabby's Attack and Speed while gaining a point in HP and Defense to help with its survivability. Shell Armor prevents a critical hit from prematurely ending your sweep, though Hyper Cutter can be used if you are worried about Intimidate users like Ekans and Snubbull.</p>

1. Phrase Reworded: Speeds aren't outsped, Pokemon (or cars or whatever) are.
2. Phrase reworded, and the subsequent sentence removed: If 80 degrees is hot, 100 degrees will be hot as well, in a case like this, you don't need to explain both situations, just the lesser one.
3. Decapitalization: "Dual screen" is not to be capitalized.
4. Phrase reworded: "...Take hits better" was an awkward wording.

[Set]

[Set Comments]
<p>Although a maximum Speed of 14 is mediocre at best, with a Choice Scarf attached, Krabby outspeeds all unboosted Pokemon in Little Cup. Krabby also has a great Attack stat, allowing it to do substantial damage even without help from Swords Dance or a Choice Band. The combination of Crabhammer and Return will hit every Pokemon in Little Cup for at least neutral damage, while the other moves provide for additional coverage.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>Crabhammer and Return are the primary attacks on this set, since they provide unresisted coverage. Rock Slide will hit Mantyke that expect to absorb a Crabhammer for super effective damage. Brick Break provides further coverage, and can also break any screens that your opponent has set up. Superpower can be used if you want to hit harder, but Krabby can’t stay in for long if it uses it. Additionally, X-Scissor can be used, if Grass- and Psychic-types give you trouble.</p>

<p>The EVs are relatively simple, allowing Krabby to hit a sky-high 22 Attack and 21 Speed. Krabby also gets an extra point in each of HP and Defense, providing it with more survivability.. Shell Armor should be used to prevent a critical hit from ruining your day.</p>

1. Sentences condensed: The first two sentences of the first paragraph were combined, to avoid wordiness and awkward wording.
2. Spelling: I am not sure if "non-boosted" is correct, but regardless, "unboosted" is generally the superior, less awkward, and preferred choice.
3. Sentence reworded: In the phrase "Attack stat to make it a great option", the implied subject is either "Attack (stat)" or "Krabby" which in either case is not what you intended. Furthermore, the sentence is unsupported and very ambiguous.
4. Word replaced: "But" implies that the two phrases do not support each other, but rather that one disagrees with the other. "And" was the more appropriate choice in conjuction here. I'm not sure whether you used the wrong conjuction, or you meant to say "provides no further coverage". In that case, just disregard this change and add "no" where it belongs.
5. Phrase reworded: the sentence was not incorrect at all, but it was reworded in order to maintain parallel structure. Another example of unparallel structure:
The sky is blue, the sun is yellow, and green is the grass.
6. Word removed: "The EVs again are..." I am leaning towards the statement that there needs to be one or more commas added to this phrase, but I am not 100% sure of whether I am correct here, so I just removed the word altogether, lol.
7. Word added: "Each of" was added as appropriate.

[Team Options]
<p>Krabby has a good enough Defense stat to take a physical hit and set up an Agility, but it is vulnerable to special attacks. Light Screen can alleviate this problem. Bronzor can reliably set up both Light Screen and Reflect, and Abra is fast enough that it can almost always set up Light Screen. Baltoy deserves a mention as well, since it can come in on Electric attacks aimed at Krabby with impunity. Entry Hazard support is also nice to have, especially to break Focus Sashes. Gligar, Diglett, and Phanpy provide great Stealth Rock support, and they can switch in for free on Electric attacks.</p>

<p>Krabby is vulnerable to priority attacks, so it is best to eliminate their common users before bringing Krabby in. Croagunk is perhaps the most common priority user, so having something that can take it out will help tremendously. Mantyke can absorb Vacuum Waves like nothing and OHKO with Hidden Power Flying, and Gligar can easily switch in and OHKO with Earthquake, though it must be wary of Ice Punch. Chinchou can also come in on an Agility and threaten to OHKO Krabby, so a partner that can take Chinchou out is recommended. Diglett absorbs Electric attacks, traps Chinchou, and OHKOs with Earthquake.</p>

<p>Wynaut is a great teammate for Krabby, since it can use Encore to force an opponent to use a weak physical move or a set-up move only to have Krabby come in and set up. Snover also deserves a mention, since it can take Electric and Grass attacks quite well.</p>

1. Extra space removed, word added: You had two spaces before the word "Entry". breaking Focus Sashes is not the only benefit of field effects, thus ", especially" was added.
2. Word added: Self-Explanatory. This fix was chosen over "switches" and "OHKOes" to preserve parallel structure.

[Optional Changes]
<p>Krabby does not have many other moves to work with. It learns Flail, which can be used with a Focus Sash to net a surprise KO. However, Krabby's subpar Speed makes it unlikely that you will score more than a single KO. Krabby could run a Choice Band set with the same moves as the Choice Scarf set, but its mediocre Speed remains an issue.</p>

<p>Krabby learns Iron Defense to boost its already sky-high Defense stat, but its vulnerability to special attacks makes it gimmicky at best. It also learns Knock Off, which can be used to get rid of pesky Oran Berries, but Krabby is often better off trying to KO through them.</p>

1. Sentences reworded: The first of the two highlighted sentences was worded quite awkwardly. The second sentence was then changed to reduce redundancy. Also capitalized "Speed".
2. Word added: "of" was added, as appropriate.

[Counters]
<p>Any bulky special attacker can beat Krabby in most cases. Chinchou can switch in on either of Krabby’s set-up moves, and either outspeed or survive an unboosted Return and OHKO with Thunderbolt. Mantyke is immune to Crabhammer and can threaten Krabby with a super effective Hidden Power. Croagunk is a great counter to Krabby, since it can come in on Crabhammer unscathed and inflict massive damage with Vacuum Wave.</p>

1. Spelling: "Super effective" is not to be hyphenated
2. Phrase reworded: "massive damage" is not what is being threatened. Alternative fixes would have been to change it to "threaten to inflict..." or "threaten with Vacuum...", but I just went with the simplest one.
In the future, you need to watch your hyphenations and capitalizations. However the analysis is written fairly well, both in terms of grammar and content. Good job.

Dubulous

OK I made all of RS's changes (thanks a lot!) and I also added a bit more to the analysis. I tested out Substitute and it is definitely outclassed by Carvahna, and I added X-Scissor as an option on the Agility set instead of Swords Dance. I also added Double Edge to OC.

This analysis is good, but Krabby could also function as a Trick Room sweeper, with an extremely low base speed. Using Substitue and Sword Dance, he could sweep teams with Crabhammer and Return. However, he would need Trick Room to be renewed frequently, as it only lasts 5 turns.

I think a TR sweeper is a complete and utter waste of Krabby and does not deserve a set. Krabby has actually quite high base Speed, and is much better at abusing Agility or a Choice Scarf with its already impressive Atk.

Plus there would be pokemon such as Munchlax and Bronzor that would randomly outpace Krabby on a TR team even if they aren't specifically "made" slower.

bojangles

IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
[Overview]
<p>Krabby's great Attack and Defense can make it very difficult to handle. In spite of its vulnerability to special attacks, proper team support can make Krabby a very formidable sweeper. If Krabby manages to get both a Swords Dance and an Agility boost, the opponent's only real hope is to chip away at Krabby with priority attacks. Krabby also has a great ability in Shell Armor, which means that a critical hit will never put an end to your sweep.</p>

[be sure to mention some of krabby's drawbacks as well. it's not a perfect pokemon, and its just as important to know the possible weaknesses as its strengths]

[Set]
Name: Agility
Move 4: Swords Dance / X-Scissor
Item: Oran Berry / Life Orb

[Set Comments]
<p>Krabby is blessed with a great base Attack, but its middling Speed and Special Defense hinder its ability to pull off a sweep without a boost. Krabby attains perfect coverage through the use of two moves, Crabhammer and Return, so it can use the two remaining move slots to set up for a sweep. With an Adamant nature and after a Swords Dance, Krabby reaches an astronomical 44 Attack, which has a chance to OHKO every Pokemon in Little Cup, with the exception of Slowpoke. Krabby can also be effective without Swords Dance, however. X-Scissor is the recommended replacement, since, with a Life Orb, Krabby has a chance to OHKO Slowpoke, if Stealth Rock is in play.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>The idea of this set is to come in on a Pokémon who cannot threaten Krabby, like Bronzor or a weak physical attacker, and Agility on the switch. With the boost, Krabby reaches 28 Speed, which is surpassed only by Choice Scarf variants of Elekid, Diglett, and Voltorb. Fortunately, these are very rare sights in Little Cup.</p>

<p>Oran Berry is the recommended item so that Krabby can still get a boost off even if your opponent does not switch. Life Orb can also be an effective item, as it provides the extra oomph to turn some 2HKOs into OHKOs. If you go with Life Orb, dual screen support is recommended to preserve some of Krabby's durability. The EVs maximize Krabby's Attack and Speed while gaining a point in HP and Defense to help with its survivability. Shell Armor prevents a critical hit from prematurely ending your sweep, though Hyper Cutter can be used if you are worried about Intimidate users, like Ekans and Snubbull.</p>

[Set]

[Set Comments]
<p>Although a maximum Speed of 14 is mediocre at best, with Choice Scarf attached, Krabby outspeeds all unboosted Pokemon in Little Cup. Krabby also has a great Attack stat, allowing it to do substantial damage even without help from Swords Dance or a Choice Band. The combination of Crabhammer and Return will hit every Pokemon in Little Cup for at least neutral damage, while the other moves provide for additional coverage.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>Crabhammer and Return are the primary attacks on this set, since they provide unresisted coverage. Rock Slide will hit Mantyke who expect to absorb a Crabhammer for super effective damage. Brick Break provides further coverage, and it can also break any screens that your opponent has set up. Superpower can be used if you want to hit harder, but Krabby can’t stay in for long if it uses Superpower [a bit ambiguous]. Additionally, X-Scissor can be used if Grass- and Psychic-types give you trouble.</p>

<p>The EVs are relatively simple, allowing Krabby to hit a sky-high 22 Attack and 21 Speed. Krabby also gets an extra point in both HP and Defense, providing it with more survivability. Shell Armor should be used to prevent a critical hit from ruining your day.</p>

[Team Options]
<p>Krabby has a good enough Defense stat to take a physical hit and set up an Agility, but it is vulnerable to special attacks. Light Screen can alleviate this problem. Bronzor can reliably set up both Light Screen and Reflect, and Abra is fast enough that it can almost always set up Light Screen. Baltoy deserves a mention as well, since it can come in on Electric-type attacks aimed at Krabby with impunity. Entry hazard support is also nice to have, especially to break Focus Sashes. Gligar, Diglett, and Phanpy provide great Stealth Rock support, and they can switch in for free on Electric-type attacks.</p>

<p>Krabby is vulnerable to priority attacks, so it is best to eliminate their common users before bringing in Krabby. Croagunk is perhaps the most common priority user, so having a Pokémon who can take it out will help tremendously. Mantyke can absorb Vacuum Waves like they're nothing and OHKO with Hidden Power Flying, and Gligar can easily switch in and OHKO with Earthquake, though it must be wary of Ice Punch. Chinchou can also come in on an Agility and threaten to OHKO Krabby, so a partner who can take Chinchou out is recommended. Diglett absorbs Electric-type attacks, traps Chinchou, and OHKOes with Earthquake.</p>

<p>Wynaut is a great teammate for Krabby, since it can use Encore to force an opponent to use a weak physical move or a set-up move only to have Krabby come in and set up. Snover also deserves a mention, since it can take Electric- and Grass-type attacks quite well.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Double-Edge can be used over Return to add a bit more attacking power to Krabby. The recoil damage often makes it not worth it, however. Krabby learns Iron Defense to boost its already sky-high Defense stat, but its vulnerability to special attacks makes it gimmicky at best. It also learns Knock Off, which can be used to get rid of pesky Oran Berries, but Krabby is often better off trying to KO through them.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Any bulky special attacker can beat Krabby in most cases. Chinchou can switch in on either of Krabby’s set-up moves, and either outspeed it or survive an unboosted Return and OHKO with Thunderbolt. Mantyke is immune to Crabhammer and can threaten Krabby with a super effective Hidden Power. Croagunk is a great counter to Krabby, since it can come in on Crabhammer unscathed and inflict massive damage with Vacuum Wave.</p>
nice job Dubulous, comments in brackets. Also, you're only supposed to put 1 space after periods, not two.

Dubulous

OK I think this is all finished! One more check probably couldn't hurt, though!

Thanks to all those that took/take the time to check this over. I know how long it takes, and it isn't particularly enjoyable. You guys all do great work for this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)