Lamenting the Star Wars Extended Universe (and all its wacky wonders)

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
I have just found something amazing that absolutely shattered my expectations about the SWEU. Big props to quziel for introducing me to...

JEDI HUTT
1601486713958.png

JEDI HUTT

JEDI HUTT

Beldorion the Splendid, Beldorion of the Ruby Eyes has changed my life today. With the knowledge that the Jedi Order once had a Hutt who lacked no proficiency in lightsaber duels, I can do anything I set my mind to.

He's not alone, though. When the EU was made null and void by Disney, several unique works were lost to the oblivion of non-canonicity. What are some of your favorite parts of the EU, whether they be bonkers Force powers or memorable characters or something between or beyond?

As one of the most out-there things to list as a favourite: gravity wells disabling hyperdrives. While it was probably only brought in as an explanation for Interdictors, it also resolves a few of the omnipresent issues with Sci-fi. How are planets not easily destroyed by rocks with engines? you can't get them relativistic when they're close. Why are so many stations so ridiculously large? Their mass protects them from long-distance ramming.

Episode 7 showing entry at such close distance to a planet and Episode 8 confirming that high-speed ramming can exist draws attention to a universe-wide plot hole that the old EU had no problems with practically by accident.

Geysers

But my sorrows, they learned to swim
is a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Episode 7 showing entry at such close distance to a planet and Episode 8 confirming that high-speed ramming can exist draws attention to a universe-wide plot hole that the old EU had no problems with practically by accident.
Personally I think that there are reasonably decent in-canon explanations for these. I think that the super-close entry can be explained by a combination of two factors:
  1. The gravity-well effect might be influenced by the relative mass of the objects. For instance, a low-mass object (like the falcon) would be less-strongly pulled by the gravity well and could thus get closer before its hyperdrive were forced out of action.
  2. Hyperdrives might have safety features that automatically turn them off near gravity wells, and this was manually disabled for this jump in order to allow a closer distance than might otherwise be possible.
Neither of those is particularly good evidence, granted, but I feel like at least the first of those is a reasonably solid explanation.

For the bit about the hyperspace ramming with the Supremacy, I think there exists a much nicer, neater explanation. I think that since the hyperspace tracking tech required insanely powerful computers, at least some of the computers were suspended in a localized hyperspace field in order to allow them to run faster. Thus, when the Raddus jumped into hyperspace, it rammed this hyperspace field and was pulled out of hyperspace, hitting the Supremacy at relativistic speeds. Granted, this doesn’t explain the ramming of a Xyston-class destroyer over Endor, but I think that it’s still like a 1/1000000 chance for a ramming attack to work without the localized hyperspace field, so this can probably be attributed to random chance.

On topic, I think that a lot of the Legends Old Sith lore is pretty damn good. The stuff with Nihilus / Traya / Sion is really interesting and compelling. A somewhat wackier thing that I also liked was the whole Cronal arc, which is pretty interesting and delves into a lot of deeper force stuff. Also, the wookieepedia article on him is pretty cool.
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Cronal

Did you know the astromech that self-destructed in the beginning of A New Hope could apparently use the Force?

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Skippy_the_Jedi_Droid

Yes, seriously.
Credit to the new canon when its due, they're also not above putting force sensitivity in the wierdest places. I recall from an audiobook I overheard that apparently the monster in the death star trash compactor was force-sensitive. (I know it's from new canon since other parts of it mention events from Rogue One).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)