Latest OU team; With CB Hippo!

Sandstorm team, if you hadn't guessed. Trying not to be too stallish.

Hippowdon @ Choice Band
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Sandstorm
EV's: 252Atk, 180Hp, 78Def
~ Earthquake
~ Stone Edge
~ Crunch
~ Ice Fang

Lead. Choice Band Hippowdon catches everyone by surprise. No exceptions. It deserves more use too; that fantastic base 112 Attack is well worth building a set around. Earthquake is obvious on the set, whilst Stone Edge guarantees a hard hit on Gyarados and the like. Crunch is for those annoying levitators like Azelf, Gengar and maybe Cresselia who come in, expecting Earthquake. Ice Fang allows it to counter the likes of Garchomp effectively.

Heatran @ Shed Shell
Nature: Bold
Ability: Flash Fire
EV's: 252Hp, 160Def, 68Sp.Def, 24Sp.Atk
~ Rest
~ Sleep Talk
~ Lava Plume
~ Dragon Pulse

Heatran is actually pretty monstrous defensively. With the most resists in the game, and pretty impressive defenses on both sides of the spectrum, he makes a good psuedo-wall. Dragon Pulse is on there over Earth Power because this is my primary switch-in to a Specsmence, and with Earth Power over Dragon Pulse I can't touch it. It also allows a harder hit on the likes of Garchomp switching in. Best of all, Dragon/Fire is only resisted by other Heatran, who I shouldn't be staying in on anyway.

Shed shell is necessary on there, as I'm reliant on Heatran for quite a lot of countering. And seeing as Heatran is perhaps the biggest Dugtrio bait in the game, it seems to be a safer bet to run Shed Shell over Leftovers. The EV's are mostly based on physical defense to take on Mixmence better. :D

Vaporeon @ Choice Specs
Nature: Modest
Ability: Water Absorb
EV's: 252Sp.Atk, 204Hp, 48Def
~ Surf
~ Ice Beam
~ Hidden Power [Electric]
~ Roar

In a similar vein to Hippo, that oft-overlooked base 110 Sp.Atk is abused here. Roar is pretty essential on this set, as I need a phazer, and Vappy happens to make a good switch-in to a lot of the things that need phazing, namely Bellyzard. Can switch into Specsmence and pose a threat too, as long as it avoids Draco Meteor.

Leafeon @ Leftovers
Nature: Relaxed
Ability: Leaf Guard
IV's: Spe: 0
EV's: 252Hp, 180Def, 78Atk
~ Leaf Blade
~ Wish
~ Protect
~ Baton Pass

I used this a while back, and I loved it :D Fantastic Wish-passer. Used to have a Jirachi here, but the triple ground weakness throughout the team without a resist was causing problems.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Nature: Quiet
Ability: Sandstorm
EV's: 252Hp, 184Sp.Atk, 72Spd
~ Ice Beam
~ Crunch
~ Focus Punch
~ Substitute

Pretty standard Boah, but it's still as difficult to counter as ever. 4 extra EV's to outspeed other Boah for the punch.

Dusknoir @ Leftovers
Nature: Careful
Ability: Pressure
EV's: 252Hp, 160Sp.Def, 98Def
~ Earthquake
~ Fire Punch
~ Rest
~ Sleep Talk

The latest addition to my team. Used to have a Gengar here, but I needed some more bulk to take on as many of the six weaknesses my team suffered from as possible. This takes on four of them; Infernape, Breloom, Heracross and Electivire. Unfortunately, it adds to my other two (Gengar, Weavile)

Unfortunately, those two are going to be very hard to counter with one Poke :S Any ideas? Thanks in advance :)

Forry takes them on suprisingly well, assuming Gyro Ball and Macho Brace it OHKO's both of them. You could also use Light Screen to give the STFU, Gengar! Effect.

I would put earth power over dragon pulse on heatran, it hits tentacruel, and those rocks coming in on your lava plumes. Also I love this team!

Meaningful bump.

Not sure how well Forre takes on Gengar, it's Sp.Def isn't ideal for the job. And Dragon Pulse is all but essential on Heatran because it's my primary switch-in to Specsmence. Admittedly, EP would be nice for opposing Heatran coming in, expecting Lava Plume, as well as what you listed, so I'll try it out.

I've been testing this team a lot recently, and it's been pretty successful. Turns out Weavile wasn't too much of a problem; Heatran takes it on fairly well. Haven't faced many Gengars, so I'm still not sure about them.

But the main problem I've been having is SD Lucario. Every time I face one, it outspeeds and OHKO's my entire team. Only time I've beaten one is after keeping Tyranitar on one whilst it SD'd and Focus Punching it. Every other time, they 6:0 me. Help?

i'm always down with someone trying out unorthodoxed sets. they work too, it's just that everyone is so used to seeing the 'standard set', they just follow the leader. this team lacks speed. change the heatran set to a scarftran set. you have dusknoir for rest talk already.

Hmmm.... looks for Lucario counters.... Steelix ALWAYS beats him one-on-one, but can't if you have to switch.

Gyarados, Salamence, Bulky Garchomp, all tell Lucario to STFU.

If you're interested, I've tested bulky Garchomp. Here is the set:

Garchomp @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Veil
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 236 HP / 212 Defense / 60 Speed
*Earthquake
*Outrage
*Fire Blast / Roar
*Stealth Rock

Try it before you knock it. Garchomp is bulkier then Swampert, and still has 296 Attack to boot. I noticed your team lacks stealth rock, so he can help out. But anyway, he reaches 416 HP for lefties, 279 Defense (impressive?) and 280 Speed, beating lucario by 1 point. This means you can switch into Lucario all day, every time he SDs. If he uses Close Combat, he dies. If he uses Extremespeed, you take about 45%, and he dies. If he is jolly natured, he fails to KO, and he dies.

A SDef oriented Jirachi can easily switch-in and KO Gengar, as long as you absorb the Hypnosis with one of your Sleep Talkers. It could be put on Leafeon's slot as you already have Vaporeon to counter Gyarados. Your Heatran can take Weavile pretty well because of those Def EVs, but if you are really affraid of it, you could use Flash Cannon or HP Fighting as Jirachi's second atacking move, which would help countering Tyranitar too.

i really prefer earth power to be able to hurt opposing heatran, aslo the sdef drop can help

uuh i see sand and a ghost... wheres the spikes?

If Leafeon faints, you will be in trouble. A not spinner Starmie can OHKO Hippo and Vaporeon and gives 2HKO to Tyranitar. Weavile finish Dusknoir.
Infernape after Nasty Plot is so dangeours. I don't think that Heatran will be a MixApe counter.

Heatran can't counter Mixape, I thought Dusknoir took him on :s How much Sp.Def does he need to counter Ape? But yeah, I can see a definite Starmie weak too :s

As I've said, Dragon Pulse is pretty much essential to counter Specsmence, who otherwise has a field day with my team. I've been trying EP, but at the moment I'm still leaning towards Dragon Pulse. And I dislike spikes, stalling is dull and boring. Heatran is ReSTalk because I need some defensive bulk. Dusknoir isn't anywhere near as bulky, and counters Breloom/Infernape/Vire.

Will try out Jirachi, and maybe Garchomp/Salamence/Gyarados.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Your entire team is annihilated by sub/punch/ice beam/dark move TTar, you cant switch into it, and the pokemon you have that can have no means of recovery. Infernape with Nasty Plot/Grass Knot/Close Combat/Fire Blast also sweeps you.

Heatran kinda needs Earth Power to stop itself from being walled by the aforementioned TTar. If not, HP [Ice] is a much better idea than Dragon Pulse 99.9999% of the time (accurate statistic). Also, Heatran doesn't have the most resistances in the game. Magnezone does.

How would replacing Dusknoir with a standard Bulkydos sound? With Wish support it's a beast, it takes Weavile on as well as SDCario (Sort of) And Noir isn't doing much bar taking status from Breloom. Also takes on Boah without T-Bolt (And Leafeon takes on Boah without Ice Beam)

I might consider HP Ice on Shoddy, but this is a wifi team too, so I'll keep Dragon Pulse on there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)