Leavanny [Update] (QC 2/3)

The analysis should be reworded imo. It's just too long for such an irrelevant Pokemon in the metagame. Most of the stuff written between parenthesises should not be included, certain adjectives should be removed completely; they are just fluff imo.

Also, there are a bunch of sentences which get skipped a lot. For example, somewhere in the OO section I believe:
Leavanny has a decent special moveset with Energy Ball, Leaf Storm, Bug Buzz, Air Slash, a Hidden Power further backed by Calm Mind and the aforemented Baton Pass, but base 70 SpA and not-good bulk unless facing walls, will spell doom for the mantis. Death, even. Despite this, Leaf Storm can be used on a physical set as well, as it enables Leavanny to gain a few OHKO's it would otherwise not get, even with no investment. A Naive nature is recommended if you opt to go mixed like this. (There's a random space here that really doesn't look good aesthetically in the analysis btw)
Leavanny is the fastest Pokémon in the game with both Dual Screens and Chlorophyll, so on a full sun team, Dual Screens are certainly an option.
It should be this:
Leavanny has a decent special moveset with Energy Ball, Leaf Storm, Bug Buzz, Air Slash, a Hidden Power further backed by Calm Mind and the aforemented Baton Pass, but base 70 SpA and not-good bulk unless facing walls, will spell doom for the mantis. Death, even. Despite this, Leaf Storm can be used on a physical set as well, as it enables Leavanny to gain a few OHKO's it would otherwise not get, even with no investment. A Naive nature is recommended if you opt to go mixed like this. Leavanny is the fastest Pokémon in the game with both Dual Screens and Chlorophyll, so on a full sun team, Dual Screens are certainly an option.
NOTE: I did not change anything in the analysis, but I'm pretty sure than this paragraph can be shortened into "Leavanny has a Special movepool that may be worth considering, but its Special Attack is too low to consider it viable" or something around that vein.

Overall, the analysis is pretty lengthy and should be shortened to little chunks describing the niche Leavanny has over its competitors and its sets.

Thanks guys. That's very useful, and I'll hope to have much of it reworded at the end of the week.
Still, some of the things not in the overview end up just being put elsewhere.

On the other hand, noobs have a tendency of adding Leavanny to their team because they like Leavanny, so an objective comparison with the other Grass/Bug types ends up being fairly void. They would add Leavanny even if it had Sunkern's stats.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'll be real honest, I really don't feel right giving this analysis a third stamp. The writing is god-awful still, and shows a lack of metagame knowledge. Stuff like:

"or are not reliable enough because they can't do enough damage back, like Misdreavus (unless Leavanny used Swords Dance while Misdreavus has Foul Play),"

are flat out untrue. Personally I think this should be reassigned, but failing that a QC member needs to like comb through this analysis and fix it (which might be more work than just getting someone else to rewrite).

I used Leavanny enough to know Misdreavus loses to one if it switches into anything that isn't a Swords Dance while it runs Foul Play, and if it wins, it will be crippled beyond repair.
Scenario 1, is Swords Dance Leavanny, assuming SR is up on both sides:
Turn 1: Leavanny is in and took 25% SR damage. Misdreavus comes into Swords Dance.

Turn 2: Leavanny uses Leaf Blade and strikes for 70% damage against Misdreavus. Misdreavus KO's with Foul Play - or deals 40% with Shadow Ball, or burns with Will-O-Wisp.
Leavanny is at 25% or at 45% with a burn. Misdreavus is at 20%.

Turn 3: Leavanny KOs Misdreavus, and has 15% HP left. Or 30% while burned.

Scenario 2, is against Synthesis Leavanny.
Turn 1: Leavanny is in and took 25% SR damage. Misdreavus switches into a Leaf Blade and takes 33% damage as well as SR damage.
Leavanny at 65%, Misdreavus at 52%.

Turn 2: Leavanny uses another Leaf Blade, Misdreavus uses Foul Play/Shadow Ball.
Leavanny is at 15%, Misdreavus at 20%.
Turn 2Alt: Leavanny uses Leaf Blade, Misdreavus uses Will-O-Wisp.
Leavanny is at 43% and burned, Misdreavus at 20%
Turn2AltB: Leavanny uses Shadow Claw, Misdreavus uses Will-O-Wisp.
Leavanny is at 43% and burned, Misdreavus at 17%.

Turn 3: Leavanny uses Leaf Blade, Missy is dead and Leavanny at 5%.
As an alternative, you can use Synthesis and KO next turn with a slightly larger margin of health left.
Turn3Alt: Leavanny uses Leaf Blade, Misdreavus is at ~3%. Misdreavus KO's Leavanny.
Turn3AltB: Leavanny uses Shadow Claw. Misdreavus is dead, Leavanny at 20% and burned.

This does not factor in Leaf Blade's higher crit rate, Magic Coat usage on turn 2, or crits or WoW misses at all. Percentages are estimates from my experience and calcs ran earlier.

This all being said, I need to make the Misdreavus mention more clear anyway since Misdreavus can beat Leavanny if it has a safe switch in. Missy is a check, and a good one. Just don't use it as a flat out counter since Shadow Claw ensures Leavanny beats Missy if it attacked straight away, and if it did not (and used Synthesis) it can safely switch out and take another round of hazards as if nothing happened.

And indeed, maybe it's better if someone else rewrites this. I don't really have much of a feeling for non-fiction writing.
Edit: Lol@writing errors when reading through analysis.
Yeah... :evan:
I should not (read: never) write something and post that on the same day.

Edit 2: Grammar Prose team would also have a field day ^^ . Yeah, the analysis has a rather bad quality in its current form (the long analysis was, I think, better in writing quality (doesn't make it less long though)) and I'll run through it again. Rewriting time (instead of a "haircut" like previous time) it is.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Leavanny deals less than 20% to Misdreavus with X-scissor, since Ghost resists Bug. On your main set, thats 3 moves it can switch into and proceed to burn Leavanny, then Pain Split to heal back up.

That only really works if it is used alongside a Sap Sipper or if you otherwise force that X-Scissor being used. Because, while it is true what you say, if you mispredict you are a bit screwed. Therefore I mentioned Missy now as a very solid check, just not a counter under all circumstances.

The analysis is fully rewritten, and I feel it is much better now. It is also much shorter to my surprise. As such, I think it is (finally) ready for the third stamp now.

Sorry Aasgier, this does not have the quality we're looking for. I appreciate the effort, and if you'd like to try again with a different Pokemon go ahead. This is being reassigned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)