Let the Rain Fall Down (and Wake My Dreams) (OU)

JETZero3

Professional stick figure artist
With the weather nerf in Gen 6, weather teams haven't seen as much usage as in previous generations. However, rain is still a viable team for the competitive meta. After some playtesting, I've arrived at this balanced rain team for the OU metagame.

186.png

Politoed @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Psychic

Politoed is an obvious choice for a rain team. With instant rain, Politoed can come in on other weather inducers, such as Mega Charizard Y, to prevent a predicted Solarbeam, and switch back out. Politoed also has the capability to deal solid damage thanks to a Choice Specs set, which may not be predicted, due to Damp Rock usage.
Hydro Pump is Politoed's spammable STAB move of choice, dealing good damage on unresisted hits. Ice Beam deals with the Dragon and Grass types that resist Hydro Pump. Focus Blast is to hit Steel types not named Aegislash for good, albeit unreliable, damage. Psychic is used to deal damage to Tentacruel and Mega Venusaur on the switch, as the other attacks deal middling damage.
The Modest Nature and given EVs are to allow Politoed to hit as hard as possible, while allowing Politoed to take a few hits to restart the rain once it fizzles.

503.png

Rotom-Wash @ Damp Rock
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rain Dance

With the Drizzle ability unable to summon permanent rain, a second rain summoner seems like a good idea. While previous Pokemon used for this purpose like Liepard can bring in rain more reliably thanks to Prankster, Rotom-W is a defensive wall, that can check offensive threats like Talonflame relatively well.
Rain Dance summons the rain for a solid 8 turns, thanks to Damp Rock. While having Damp Rock on Politoed may seem like a better choice, Rotom-W can't take advantage of the rain as well as Politoed, so Rotom-W would rather switch out to another Pokemon. This wastes valuable rain turns, so Damp Rock is used on Rotom-W. However, Rotom-W can certainly deal good damage with its Hydro Pump in rain. Volt Switch gives a reliable way for Rotom-W to switch out, as most Ground types are unwilling to switch into a possible Hydro Pump. Will-O-Wisp allows Rotom-W to cripple physical attackers like Aegislash and Conkeldurr.
The EVs and Bold Nature are to let Rotom-W tank physical hits, allowing it to come in and restart the rain when needed.

127.png
127-m.png

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Earthquake

Mega Venusaur is a massive problem to this team. Mega Pinsir is a solid way to remove Mega Venusaur, while also acting as a wallbreaker or late game cleaner. As well as getting rid of enemies such as Mega Venusaur and Tentacruel, Mega Pinsir is capable of handling Pokemon such as Aegislash.
Swords Dance boosts Mega Pinsir's Attack to frightening levels, giving it the power needed to open up holes in the enemy's team, giving Ludicolo a very good chance to sweep. An Aerilated Return has a 56% chance to OHKO a 252 HP/252 DEF Mega Venusaur. At +2, Return deals very good damage to anything that doesn't resist it. Quick Attack not only allows a follow up to Return to KO foes such as Chansey, but also lets Mega Pinsir perform a late game cleaner role if needed. Earthquake makes sure Aegislash doesn't completely wall this set, as a +2 Earthquake OHKOs the Shield Forme.
The EV spread is simple; hit as hard and fast as possible. As Swords Dance increases Mega Pinsir's attack already, a Jolly Nature is used to help Pinsir's speed.

184.png

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower
- Waterfall

Azumarill is a fantastic physical attacker in general, and really stands out in the rain. A strong priority move in Aqua Jet allows Azumarill to revenge kill when needed. A Choice Band lets Azumarill hit like a tank, getting a guaranteed OHKO on Blissey, and a possible OHKO on Eviolite Chansey with its moves.
Aqua Jet is what makes Azumarill stand out, as its priority doesn't rely on prediction like Sucker Punch, and is also boosted by rain. Play Rough is once again used as a STAB move for good coverage. Superpower muscles through Blissey and Chansey, as well as incoming Steel types that will want to advantage of the Fairy typing, although this will involve some prediction. Double-Edge used to be in the last moveslot, due to its solid damage to Tentacruel and Mega Venusaur, but Waterfall allows for greater damage output in the rain against targets such as Skarmory, Clefable, and Scizor. This decision also increases Azumarill's longevity, as heavy recoil damage is no longer an issue with Waterfall.
252 Attack and an Adamant Nature ensures maximum damage, while the 124 Speed allows Azumarill to outspeed uninvested Choice Band Scizor, which can be a huge problem to this team. The rest goes into boosting Azumarill's bulk.

goodra.png

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunder
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Tail

Gen 6 may have been harsh to weather in general, but it tries to make it up with the addition of Goodra. Goodra can tank a lot of special hits with an Assault Vest boosting its naturally high Special Defense. Goodra also has the Special Attack to back up its bulk, being able to spam high power moves while taking little in return. Goodra also acts as a fantastic status absorber thanks to Hydration. Sadly, Rest + Hydration is not possible due to the Assault Vest.
Draco Meteor is used over Dragon Pulse due to its sheer power. The Special Attack drop is unideal, but Goodra will probably end up switching at some point to either switch to a physical wall or to restart the rain, so it's not a big issue. Thunder is 100% accurate in rain, and tears through Water Pokemon hoping to take advantage of the weather. The 30% paralysis chance is also useful against faster, frailer targets looking to take advantage of Goodra's perceived lack of offense. Focus Blast is used for Steel types, as well as Tyranitar, who doesn't care much for Goodra's other moves. Dragon Tail is a good move to phaze out set-up sweepers, such as Aegislash or Kingdra, as well as dealing solid damage after a Special Attack drop from Draco Meteor.
A Quiet Nature is used over a Modest Nature so that Dragon Tail doesn't lose power. The given EVs increase Goodra's bulk, and lets it hit hard with its high power moves.

272.png

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

Everyone's favourite Swift Swim user is found on this team. Ludicolo becomes ridiculously fast in the rain, and with a Life Orb, can hit decently hard as well. Ludicolo can come in as a revenge killer, a cleaner, or a sweeper. Its typing is ideal for coming in on Water moves, and retaliating with its Grass STAB.
Hydro Pump is the obligatory water STAB of choice, hitting anything that doesn't resist it for massive damage. Giga Drain helps mitigate Life Orb damage, as well as hitting incoming Water types. Ice Beam and Focus Blast are solid coverage moves, hitting bulky Grass/Dragon types and Steel types for good damage, respectively.
A Modest Nature is used, as Ludicolo doesn't have to worry about its Speed with Swift Swim. The EVs simply let Ludicolo hit as hard and fast as possible.

General Threats (Will Update As More Testing is Done)
  • Entry Hazards: While hazards aren't as much of a killer to a rain team as to a sun team, hazards can become troublesome if they start to stack up. Leading with Rotom-W, setting up rain, Volt Switching out, and defeating the opponents hazard layer helps mitigate the damage done. Sticky Web is another hazard to watch out for. Ludicolo in rain still gets a Speed increase, but only 1.5x. Mega Pinsir and Rotom won't be affected and Goodra doesn't really care, but Politoed will definitely feel the effect. Azumarill, even with priority Aqua Jet, still won't appreciate the Speed drop.
  • Special Offensive Fairy Types: While Goodra is a solid special wall, powerful Fairy types like Mega Gardevoir can break through, meaning a Pokemon will have to be sacrificed to bring a suitable response in without prior damage.
  • Mega Venusaur: This thing can wall a lot of Pokemon on this team, so measures have been taken to deal with it. The inclusion of Mega Pinsir over the previous Mega Mawile, as well as Psychic on Politoed, should allow for some help against it.
  • Opposing Weather Inducers: While Abomasnow isn't too threatening to the team, Tyranitar and Charizard can become problematic to deal with. Tyranitar's increase in Special Defense can be hard to get by, especially with an Assault Vest, but Politoed's and Ludicolo's Hydro Pumps or Focus Blasts can wear it down. Azumarill's Aqua Jet can also take care of a weakened Tyranitar. Mega Charizard Y loves to come in and start spamming Solar Beams, so bringing in Politoed can help delay the attack, and force it out.
Any constructive criticism would be appreciated, be they positive or negative. I hope you thought well of this man's first attempt at a weather team. Thanks for reading.

Politoed @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Psychic

Rotom-Wash @ Damp Rock
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rain Dance

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack
- Return
- Earthquake

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower
- Waterfall

Goodra @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunder
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Tail

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

Last edited:
W-w-wait. Are you the same JET as the JET dude in trivia? O.o

On Azumarill, Waterfall over Double-Edge is better because in the rain it still 2HKOes Mega Venusaur (Non-Physically Defensive) and Tentacruel, while giving you a stronger move against Skarmory and other defensive threats. It also gives you a better move against Scizor.

Speaking of Scizor, I don't see how the CB set threatens you much, seeing Rotom-W can burn it.

I am indeed the same JET. Yeah, had a game where my Rotom-W went down, and Scizor proceeded to sweep my unprepared team. So I may or may not freak out about it.
I'm not sure if Waterfall still nets 2HKOes Mega Venusaur or Tentacruel in the rain, but it may be worth it to net the 2HKO on Skarmory and Scizor, so I may switch over to Waterfall. Thanks for the feedback!

Hi,
I would suggest to give Goodra Fire blast since you dont have any fire move

Goodra @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 defence / 252 SDef
Quiet Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunder
- Dragon Tail
- Fire blast

Fire blast is better than Focus blast since Focus blast so less Accuracy it 70% it misses a lot of time and Fire move is needed in your team but i think it may be problem since you have Water team but i would suggest to any of a pokemon a Fire move in your team

Hi,
I would suggest to give Goodra Fire blast since you dont have any fire move

Goodra @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 defence / 252 SDef
Quiet Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunder
- Dragon Tail
- Fire blast

Fire blast is better than Focus blast since Focus blast so less Accuracy it 70% it misses a lot of time and Fire move is needed in your team but i think it may be problem since you have Water team but i would suggest to any of a pokemon a Fire move in your team

Now why would anyone use a Fire type move on a Rain team?

Btw JETZero3 I suggest 44 Spd on Rotom W to outspeed max speed Jolly Azumarill, which is a common spread on BD variants.

Back