Metagame LGPE OverUsed

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Does LGPE have abilities? I didn't notice them anywhere. Or is it just a Showdown limitation that doesn't allow blank abilities?
Mechanics: Pokemon are set to Level 50. Pokemon do not have EVs, Abilities, or Items. IVs and Nature still apply.
They don't have abilities in the game.

Pokemon Let’s Go Viability Rankings
Last updated: 11/23/18

Can you start including what you changed at the bottom of the post? I actively look at this list while building in-game teams and when it gets updated, I have no idea who went where. Thank-you.

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
Gyarados (and its Mega) is missing from both the Taunt and Thunder Wave users.
I can get behind adding Taunt but I definitely don’t think you would run Thunder Wave on Mega Gyarados. You really want Taunt or Substitute to protect you from Will’o’Wisp burns (and other status in general) and that way you don’t have to run Facade but keep Waterfall / Crunch / Earthquake coverage.

Eve

taking a break
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader
Is Tauros still good, I mean it is the king of RBY right?
What makes this Pokemon unreasonable to use?
It has near unusable Sp.Atk due to the Special split existing, can't abuse Blizzard due to the low accuracy, can't abuse the broken crit mechanics, can't fire off Hyper Beams to finish off foes, can't really beat any Normal resistances at all due to a lack of setup, doesn't have access to Sheer Force or Life Orb to boost its damage like in Gen 7. Like said above it's also quite outclassed by Dodrio, which packs the same Speed tier but with higher damage, stronger coverage and Swords Dance at the expense of bulk. Overall not a great pick and doesn't really offer anything of use to a team.

EDIT: Actually, it does have Earthquake. This lets it 3HKO Rhydon, meaning it beats it 1v1 if caught on the switch (and given they let you KO it). It's still walled by Melmetal and Aerodactyl though.
Tauros Earthquake vs. Melmetal: 56-68 (26.6 - 32.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
lol

Last edited:
Honestly since I keep hearing that Tauros is just simply a bad Pokémon in the metagame I think we should just unrank it. Honestly when Tauros is being outclassed by Dodrio which isn’t even that crazy of a Pokémon in this metagame then that’s probably not a good sign for Tauros. The other Pokémon in the low C ranks all at least have something that they can accomplish in this metagame.

Machamp isn’t doing much just because Psychic types are just as oppressive in this metagame as they were back in RBY but it at least it has that monstrous attack stat to muscle through Rhydon and Mega Gyarados. Alolan Muk is usually better but Alolan Persian does carry more speed to outspeed Mew and base Gengar. I could name some others but you get my point that Tauros just doesn’t really offer any niches that the other mons in the same rank carry.

Also fuck Melmetal.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So as someone whise started to transiton from lets go AG more to this, I gotta ask: how has Pikachu been? I know Eevee is much more frail here without candy, but I’m struggling to figure out what good Pikahu does beyond picking off weakened Aerodactyls and maybe Calm Mind Sweeping. I’m probably missing something here since I’ve been a total Eeveeholic in this cuz I love Rest Melmetal and Alolan Muk (hell I like Rest Mega Gyarados too lol). Is Pikachu for more hyper offensive teams or something like that?

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
So as someone whise started to transiton from lets go AG more to this, I gotta ask: how has Pikachu been? I know Eevee is much more frail here without candy, but I’m struggling to figure out what good Pikahu does beyond picking off weakened Aerodactyls and maybe Calm Mind Sweeping. I’m probably missing something here since I’ve been a total Eeveeholic in this cuz I love Rest Melmetal and Alolan Muk (hell I like Rest Mega Gyarados too lol). Is Pikachu for more hyper offensive teams or something like that?
I tried making it work but the opportunity cost in not running Eevee-S is really apparent. As you mentioned, a lot of defensive mons rely on Rest for reliable recovery so having Eevee there to heal its whole team up can be invaluable at times. However, I do believe Pikachu-S is a great mon ina standalone sense, however the fact that you cannot run it alongside Eevee rlly hurts its viability as a whole. HO teams arent rlly that great rn when mons such as Mega Aerodactyl and Mega Alakazam can just sweep teams without proper checks. the best Pikachu set imo is as followed:

Pikachu-Starter
Ability: Static
Level: 50
Hasty Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Splishy Splash
- Calm Mind
- Zippy Zap

I don’t know how some of these movesets work. I been doing lots of battles online in-game using recommended movesets. I’ve won every game so far with my team (not using Legendaries or starter Pokémon) but it’s like...Why is Toxic recommended on Gengar instead of a physical move? Gengar has no bulk. Wasting a turn using Toxic just lets it get OHKO’d or at least 2HKO’d by most Pokémon. Same with Rest and other status moves, like T-Wave. Why waste turns and getting hurt for tons of damage instead of just filling those moves with ones that actually do damage?

Example: I sent out MegaZam against a 1HP Haunter. Easily outsped and finished it. Opponent sends in Starter Pikachu. I use Calm Mind, he uses whatever move he used to take me to yellow health. Ok, so now I die next turn because I wasted a turn using CM, but MegaZam is so praised. What situations are best to use these types of moves?

Eve

taking a break
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader
I don’t know how some of these movesets work. I been doing lots of battles online in-game using recommended movesets. I’ve won every game so far with my team (not using Legendaries or starter Pokémon) but it’s like...Why is Toxic recommended on Gengar instead of a physical move? Gengar has no bulk. Wasting a turn using Toxic just lets it get OHKO’d or at least 2HKO’d by most Pokémon. Same with Rest and other status moves, like T-Wave. Why waste turns and getting hurt for tons of damage instead of just filling those moves with ones that actually do damage?

Example: I sent out MegaZam against a 1HP Haunter. Easily outsped and finished it. Opponent sends in Starter Pikachu. I use Calm Mind, he uses whatever move he used to take me to yellow health. Ok, so now I die next turn because I wasted a turn using CM. What situations are best to use these types of moves?
Gengar can utilise Toxic to allow for an easy time bypassing Chansey, which may be considered worth it by some. I'd personally recommend Will-O over it though in order to punish Alolan Muk switchins.
Also, you can really apply that logic on status moves to Gen 7. Status moves are ran for their utility and team support; for example, paralyzing a foe might let another teammate have a better time cleaning or revenge killing the opponent if your current Pokémon cannot. Rest allows you to keep your checks to threatening foes healthy throughout the game, and often can be cured by Eevee once or twice or just by burning sleep turns versus opponents you resist/that are passive.
As for Calm Mind, Mega Zam is very good at forcing switches. Use the turns where it does so to set up.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Example: I sent out MegaZam against a 1HP Haunter. Easily outsped and finished it. Opponent sends in Starter Pikachu. I use Calm Mind, he uses whatever move he used to take me to yellow health. Ok, so now I die next turn because I wasted a turn using CM, but MegaZam is so praised. What situations are best to use these types of moves?
Mega Alakazam Psychic vs. Pikachu-Starter: 124-147 (103.3 - 122.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

There is no "best situation" to use set up moves, since every battle plays out differently. In that specific situation, you should have just attacked and KO'd the Pikachu. However, say you brought Mega Zam in on a Nidoqueen. Obviously, your opponent will want to switch. At that point, you could Calm Mind on an expected switch to say, Alolan Muk, so that you can do more damage with Dazzling Gleam. Reading situations like that comes with experience. It's not a binary choice, using status/set up or not.

edit: also i'll add the "last edits" to the VR.

Jrsmash9

jrsmash that timer
Here is a team that I built around mega gyarados, I got top 10 on the ladder with it and ended up with 23 wins and 3 losses.

https://pokepast.es/13b2987f0ae443ea

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Substitute

Gyarados is a really good lead because it beats almost all stealth rock setters and it removes its rock weakness. Waterfall is for aero/rhydon/nidos and it allowes it to beat common rockers putting you in a 6-5 lead (everyone always suicide rocks). Crunch lets you hit psychics like mew/slowbro/starmie/alakazam for maximum damage. Earthquake is needed for doing about 45% to melmetal and hitting muk for more damage. Sub lets you take advantage of the status spam in this meta. Jolly is needed to outspeed venu/eevee/nidoqueen. There is no switchins to gyarados so take advantage of that.

Eevee-Starter
Ability: Run Away
Jolly Nature
- Sizzly Slide
- Sappy Seed
- Sparkly Swirl
- Protect

Eevee is the only cleric in the meta, so its basically a given on every team except HO. This set is standard and there is nothing special about it. Eevee is the primary switchin to defensive mew on this team and it helps wake up melmetal.

Nidoqueen
Ability: Poison Point
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Super Fang
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock

Nidoqueen was the best rocker for this team as it synergizes so well with gyarados. Nido helps hardwall zapdos and check melmetal and fighters. Earthquake + superfang guarantees to take away half hp of every mon because all ghosts are weak to eq. Ice punch does the most damage to zapdos and jolly is for outspeeding eevee and non speed nature gyarados and venusaur. You almost never want to lead nido and want to use it as a reactionary mon, be careful for uturns on zap.

Mew
Ability: Synchronize
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp
- Psychic
- Dragon Tail

Mew is another mon that is needed on every team. This set is fairly standard with willo allowing it to beat muk and melmetal, dtail preventing sweepers like cm alakazam, and psychic for stab that hit everything else hard.

Melmetal
Ability: Iron Fist
Adamant Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- Thunder Wave
- Earthquake
- Rest

Melmetal yet again another mon required on every team. This set is standard, double iron bash/eq hits about everything in the tier really hard and twave can punish switches and allow melmetal to flinch hax. Last slot can be rest or icepunch if you want to hit zapdos harder. Melmetal checks about everything in the tier and you should try to save it for late game when zapdos is gone.

Zapdos
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt

Finally zapdos was chosen in the last slot. Sub toxic is really good as it lets it beat things like rhydon and setup a sub for free against eevee. It also has a good matchup vs other zapdos and mew. The con is it is completely walled by nidos and is worse against venusaur. Zapdos is also a nice check for melmetal which gives every team problems.

Is Tauros still good, I mean it is the king of RBY right?
What makes this Pokemon unreasonable to use?
Tauros was the king of RBY because of the mechanics of Hyper Beam at the time. With no longer an easily 150 spammable move, Tauros would have to be used with some way to boost its stats, which is what Sheer Force attempts to do. But this game has no abilities, so Tauros is sadly relegated to an inferior Dodrio, who now not only carries a beefier Attack stat (and equal Speed stat), but also has access to Swords Dance and excelent coverage in Flying and Fighting (Jump Kick).
The only way they can make Tauros as good again is to give it a Fighting type move to spam with Sheer Force. Many were hoping it would get Superpower, like Poliwrath did, but sadly that didn't happen. Earthquake is still an option against Steels/Rocks, though.

Mega Alakazam Psychic vs. Pikachu-Starter: 124-147 (103.3 - 122.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

There is no "best situation" to use set up moves, since every battle plays out differently. In that specific situation, you should have just attacked and KO'd the Pikachu. However, say you brought Mega Zam in on a Nidoqueen. Obviously, your opponent will want to switch. At that point, you could Calm Mind on an expected switch to say, Alolan Muk, so that you can do more damage with Dazzling Gleam. Reading situations like that comes with experience. It's not a binary choice, using status/set up or not.

edit: also i'll add the "last edits" to the VR.
Haunter, not Nidoqueen. Haunter could've been cleaned up by literally any move that could do damage to it. But he sent in Starter Pikachu and his one attack did half health while I Calm Mind'ed.

Haunter, not Nidoqueen. Haunter could've been cleaned up by literally any move that could do damage to it. But he sent in Starter Pikachu and his one attack did half health while I Calm Mind'ed.
The point is, why did you CM on something you could’ve just killed outright? Typically you use status moves when you force a switch or against something you hard wall, which is why he gave the example with Nidoqueen to illustrate when status moves are good.

The point is, why did you CM on something you could’ve just killed outright? Typically you use status moves when you force a switch or against something you hard wall, which is why he gave the example with Nidoqueen to illustrate when status moves are good.
Thought I could set up on it. But if MegaZam can be 2HKO'd by Pikachu, how is Zam considered so good in this meta? :/

Thought I could set up on it. But if MegaZam can be 2HKO'd by Pikachu, how is Zam considered so good in this meta? :/
Because you're not supposed to set up a bad physically defensive mon on a mon with a 50 base, always critical, priority, physical move...
MegaZam still has access to the highest speed in-game, plus recovery, set up options, nearly perfect coverage and an amazing Special Attack.

Because you're not supposed to set up a bad physically defensive mon on a mon with a 50 base, always critical, priority, physical move...
MegaZam still has access to the highest speed in-game, plus recovery, set up options, nearly perfect coverage and an amazing Special Attack.
I feel like Recovery is a wasted slot because, like that Pikachu, I'd just keep recovering while they spammed that same move. If it was down to a 1v1, I'd lose, since started with CM instead of just using Psychic.

Because Pikachu isn’t the only Pokémon in the game? Feel like you might need to spend some more time learning competitive play to understand this. Just because it can be beaten by one Pokémon doesn’t make it instantly terrible. Almost everything can be O-2HKO’d by something else.

I feel like Recovery is a wasted slot because, like that Pikachu, I'd just keep recovering while they spammed that same move. If it was down to a 1v1, I'd lose, since started with CM instead of just using Psychic.
And again, recovery is generally used when you force a switch or if you’re trying to stall out something that can’t 2HKO you. You not understanding optimal plays doesn’t make moves bad.

Apagogie

Zee you later
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
After have played few games, i give my thoughts. I specify that I played a kind of HO.

- Eevee is overrated. Even with the best movepool in the tier with broken moves and decent stat, it stays overall too slow and too frail to be as efficient as it would like. Offensive teams dont have trouble to 2HKO it, especially when it's slower than the middle of the team.
- Alakazam-Mega is broken.
- Gengar-Mega isn't as bad as I read. Shadow Ball STAB hits Melmetal and Mew hard. Taunt/Wow are great options.
- Melmetal for S rank.
- Electrode should definitely be ranked. Speed tie with Alakazam-mega and outspeeds the rest of the meta (especially Aerodactyl-mega) is a solid reason to be played. I tested Thunderbolt/Explosion/Toxic/TW, its speed helps a lot offensive teams.

EDIT : Aerodactyl Oups

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)