Metagame LGPE OverUsed

-> B+/A-
I think this mon is criminally underranked right now, and is a much better mega than people might think. While one might argue that you could be using Mega Zam or Mega Gyarados instead, that is all MU dependent, and one of the cool things about this format is you can run as many megas as you want with no drawback. With that in mind, I think the utility and damage output Mega Gengar offers is extremely good, having access to Thunder Wave, Hypnosis, Protect, and Disable. Not only that, but it still has its signature two STABs in this format, Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb, meaning it doesn't really miss out on any high base power moves it had before. It can also run Thunderbolt for coverage, etc. Not to mention, it has also been extremely effective on the ladder, at least for me. If anyone else has any other thoughts on Mega Gengar, I'd be happy to hear them either in here or on the Discord.

-> B+
I look at most of the Pokemon in B- and I think Alolan Dugtrio is definitely high above the rest. It has a great Steel + Ground typing, giving it key resistances to Pokemon like Melmetal and Zapdos (<- the big one). It has access to Stealth Rock and Toxic, two incredible utility moves in this meta, being able to quickly cripple down some of the most fearful Pokemon in the tier like Mew and Mega Alakazam. Speaking of Mega Alakazam, it can beat it 1v1 thanks to Sucker Punch, and if they have Substitute, you can always try and win the mind game using Earthquake, thanks to its Steel typing. Despite these positives, it is a bit frail, which is why I'm not nomming it to be higher, but is still overall a very effective mon right now.
I definitely agree about Gengar, especially since it has a 50% chance to OHKO Mew through rocks, while the next best answer in Alolan Muk does 50-70% if Adamant (and can still get stalled out by Taunt/Roost/Willo). I'm currently running it as a solo mega, but the flexibility offered by double mega probably makes it a secondary mega to answer Mew (before Mew gets banned, that is).

Alolan Dugtrio does have a great typing, but I don't think it wins enough matchups to offer much. It beats Mega Zam and sets up SR, but I don't see that being enough at the moment. It does a fat pile of nothing against Melmetal, Mew, Aero, and Gyara.

My placements would be something like this:

-> B-/A-

-> C

Edit: Fixed a couple mistakes.

Last edited:
S -> A+
Eevee is ridiculous; one of the Pokemon without movepool claustrophobia, thanks to a bevvy of insanely broken moves. However, it requires a ton of support. Teleport or T-Wave support are completely necessary, and can't reliably operate individually. Yes, its niche of cleric skills is utility way beyond anything else, but Eevee is also very susceptible to chip damage thanks to no burst recovery, so Sparkly Swirl is only used once or twice per match despite the bulkier metagame created by no EVs.

I see that a lot of people are using Swords Dance on A-Sandslash. However, it seems K-Sandslash only gets SD through use of Heart Scales, and A-Sandslash misses out. Been trying to find a Heart Scale in-game to confirm, but no luck so far. Has anyone checked on this?

Hey something i randomly thought of why dont you remove megas from rankings and put the normal pokemon there. Because all zams can mega. when you add a gengar to your team you add it and maybe gyarados is your main mega on the team, eventually you will mega gar anyways because of match up. The argument against this I think is certain megas beat things the main form does not also you generally wont mega the certain pokemon but still you will eventually mega it. I think over having both the mega and normal form ranked we should just rank them in one slot.

I see that a lot of people are using Swords Dance on A-Sandslash. However, it seems K-Sandslash only gets SD through use of Heart Scales, and A-Sandslash misses out. Been trying to find a Heart Scale in-game to confirm, but no luck so far. Has anyone checked on this?
Both Sandshrews learn it at level 28, no need for Heart Scales.

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
Hey something i randomly thought of why dont you remove megas from rankings and put the normal pokemon there. Because all zams can mega. when you add a gengar to your team you add it and maybe gyarados is your main mega on the team, eventually you will mega gar anyways because of match up. The argument against this I think is certain megas beat things the main form does not also you generally wont mega the certain pokemon but still you will eventually mega it. I think over having both the mega and normal form ranked we should just rank them in one slot.
I mean the base formes are definitely less viable than their mega formes though. And some megas are much more useful than others, so it's clear that we should rank them as well. The same applies to base formes as well; Gengar is clearly a less viable Pokemon than Alakazam and Aerodactyl.

Reactions: Eve
I'm going to try to prepare my competitive legitimately so Melmetal will probably be hard for me to get especially since I don't play Go enough to get one through that. Alolan Muk seems to be really reliable so I'll probably get one. I'm also thinking of M Gyarados since I hear he has some bulk and some good coverage (also my favorite pokemon, which is a bonus). I hear Eevee also can put a dent into Melmetal with Sizzly Slide. This is cool since its the only competitive ready pokemon I have currently.

The M Aggron comparison is interesting. I understand that M Charizard has some use outside of getting hurt hard by Stealth Rock. Do you know how he fares against Melmetal?
I would think that M Zard can probably just scare melmetal out. If its zard X, I believe that melmetal can live one flare blitz from full and KO back with EQ. If its Zard Y then flamethrower probably ohkos Melmetal, but you run fire blast and miss then Melmetal can easily KO with thunderpunch. Ofc, a less common rock slide set beats both, kinda.
So in theory, I guess zard is capable of 1v1ing melmetal but both are quite circumstantial.

I am really enjoying this metagame. It is casual, yet interesting and I love seeing the original 151 (and MM...). Here is my best team thus far if anyone is interested. Feel free to use and critique, or make suggestions. I'd love to talk through it. It stacks up really well to common threats and has the firepower to dish out substantial damage to this particularly bulky meta.

Eevee-Starter (F)
Ability: Run Away
Level: 50
Jolly Nature
- Sizzly Slide
- Sappy Seed
- Sparkly Swirl
- Protect

Zapdos
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Toxic
- Thunderbolt
- Roost

Muk-Alola (M)
Ability: Poison Touch
Careful Nature
- Crunch
- Fire Punch
- Toxic
- Mega Drain

Melmetal
Ability: Iron Fist
Adamant Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- Thunder Wave
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Gyarados-Mega (M) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Substitute

Mew
Ability: Synchronize
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock

What is a good moveset for Mega Blastoise? He is ranked C+, but no one is talking about him.
Scald / Ice Beam / DTail / Rest (Filler)
Blastoise makes a good phazer because of big mega bulk but no recovery outside of rest makes it meh. ScaldBeam for coverage and rest to hope that Eevee cures you.

What is a good moveset for Mega Blastoise? He is ranked C+, but no one is talking about him.
Imo hes better off going all offense with something like Scald/Icebeam/DarkPulse/Hydropump and a modest nature.

Hydropump off this thing kills so much stuff its hillarious. Scald is for when you expect switch ins and or need the burn, beam and pulse for coverage.

The bulky sets are fine too, depends if youre building a bulky offense team or just need a strong special attacker to clean up if you're packing status support on the rest of your team.

Imo hes better off going all offense with something like Scald/Icebeam/DarkPulse/Hydropump and a modest nature.

Hydropump off this thing kills so much stuff its hillarious. Scald is for when you expect switch ins and or need the burn, beam and pulse for coverage.

The bulky sets are fine too, depends if youre building a bulky offense team or just need a strong special attacker to clean up if you're packing status support on the rest of your team.
then why not use mega slowbro who can potentially boost
winning against muk?/

Eve

taking a break
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader
Scald / Ice Beam / DTail / Rest (Filler)
Blastoise makes a good phazer because of big mega bulk but no recovery outside of rest makes it meh. ScaldBeam for coverage and rest to hope that Eevee cures you.
Mega Blastoise is best used offensively as a tank in this meta. Water + Dark + Ice is hard to switch into, and Blastoise's well rounded bulk lets it dish out several attacks before fainting. It also offers a speed tier that lets it outpace several slower mons unlike Slowbro.
Setup is less common and easier to shut down offensively in candyless so phazing in general is less valuable. The set you listed is definitely good in unrestricted ou though.
Edit: you also need good luck to 1v1 muk with slowbro, while Blastoise can run Earthquake or use the same scald burning strategy. It also has space for Toxic letting it not be deadweight versus Mega Gyarados.

Katy

Banned deucer.
Alolan Muk is everywhere whenever I play LGPE. Any good counters for Alolan Muk or probably can check?
Nidoqueen, Nidoking, Ryhdon and Golem are checks to Alola Muk, same with Alo Dugtrio, but it has to be careful about a potential predict, cause Alo Muk typically runs Fire Punch.

Hey Guys, i am a newbie at competitive Pokemon and enjoying the possibilties to get them easier in the new Game :) i Love dragonite. I saw he is ranked pretty low sadly, but i was wondering If in can still build a good Team around him :)

Nidoqueen, Nidoking, Ryhdon and Golem are checks to Alola Muk, same with Alo Dugtrio, but it has to be careful about a potential predict, cause Alo Muk typically runs Fire Punch.
Rhydon and Golem are more of soft checks then actual counters as A Muk has been running mega drain recently. I dont remember the speed tiers off the top of my head, but a wrong prediction means you lose your "counter" so just something to keep in mind.

Golem is not viable due to almost complete outclassing by Rhydon itself
I haven't seen too many Fire Punches and Melmetal doesn't take too much anyways (unless it gets 10% burned)

Is victreebel viable?
it gets sleep powder; swords dance; sucker punch for faster mons, specially psychic; strong stabs in power whip, poison jab; and even leach life to heal eventually.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)