LGPE: Shiny Hunting Guide (GP 2/2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Introduction to Shiny Pokemon
For newer players, shiny Pokemon are recolored Pokemon that get a sparkling animation when they appear. They are sought after for their rarity in games and valued highly by the dedicated Pokemon collectors. This makes them a special commodity in any Pokemon game, and Pokemon Let's Go is no different from the rest.

Before diving headfirst into serious shiny hunting techniques, let's take a look at the chances of getting a shiny Pokemon throughout a regular playthrough. Since Generation VI, the base rate of finding a shiny Pokemon in the wild is 1/4096. Because multiple Pokemon can spawn simultaneously, this slightly increases the odds to X/4096, with X being the number of Pokemon visible on-screen.

With all this being said, if you encounter 1000 Pokemon, it does not mean that your chances are gradually lowered in any way; the chance for each regular encounter will always be 1/4096. This is also the case for gifts and Alolan trades. However, there are multiple ways to manipulate your shiny chances, and we will dive right into them.

Before starting your shiny hunt, it is worth talking to the Fortune Teller in Celadon City if you wish to choose your target's nature before hunting.

What Pokemon to avoid using this method
Unfortunately, before getting started, it is important to note that there are a few roadblocks in the way when trying to complete the Pokedex with Shiny Pokemon. Firstly, both Pikachu and Eevee are shiny locked as starters, which means you have a 0% chance of getting a shiny starter no matter how many resets you do. This does not mean that a player cannot get a shiny Pikachu or Eevee in the game; in fact, they are quite common. However, it will have to be a regular one. Another Pokemon that does not follow the regular methods of shiny hunting is Mewtwo, which makes it significantly harder to hunt. Mewtwo is a static encounter, which means that you will have to reset over and over again until it is shiny. This could take as few as 40 resets or as many as 4000, as unfortunately, it will be staying at full odds. It's also important to know that all three legendary birds (Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres) are static encounters when first met. These Pokemon, like Mewtwo, also require resetting in order to find a shiny. The advantage of these encounters is that once a shiny has been stumbled upon, a player has infinite opportunities to catch them without a flee chance until they are out of Poke Balls.

Flying
Once you have completed the game, you are able to fly on the back of certain Pokemon and encounter flying Pokemon while also being able to see the grounded Pokemon on the route you are currently on. This may seem small, but with the extra Pokemon in view due to you having access to flying and grounded encounters, it raises the value of X in X/4096.

Shiny Charm
Once the Pokedex is complete, you are able to go to Celadon City to receive a Shiny Charm. It is important to note that completing the Pokedex does not technically require Mew, Meltan, and Melmetal. The item still may be a grind to get, but it is really useful when beginning serious shiny hunts, as it lowers the base rate of finding a shiny from 1/4096 to 1/1365. Although the chance of randomly encountering a shiny Pokemon is still quite low, this significantly improves those odds. The Shiny Charm works well with the flying technique, as the rate will be X/1365, with lots of potential Pokemon on screen to up the odds.

Lures
If you do not wish to go through the lengths of getting the Shiny Charm, there are other ways of boosting your Shiny odds. A very simple way of boosting shiny odds is with Lures. They are commonly sold in Poke Marts and can double the base odds of finding shiny Pokemon to 1/2048. This works the same regardless of which Lure is used. However, if you combine the Lure with the Shiny Charm, the odds are further dropped to 1/1024, which are some of the best odds for random encounters. The added benefit of having Lures active is that more Pokemon will spawn in the area, giving you a higher X value.

When using Lures, a choice that you have to make is whether to force encounters or to stand still. There are benefits to both, as forcing encounters and fleeing changes the Pokemon that you are encountering more often, making the Pokemon more likely to be Shiny. The benefits of standing still is that the Lure will last a much longer time and there is little effort involved.

Catch Combos
Catch Combos are by far the best way to manipulate shiny odds in Pokemon Let's Go. Each Catch Combo threshold has a different shiny spawn rate, with a Catch Combo of 31+ creating the best odds possible to find a shiny in the game. The Catch Combo has to be on one Pokemon, though, and it will reset if you happen to catch another Pokemon or have a Pokemon flee. When getting combos on rare Pokemon, it is important to note that Pokemon GO Park encounters do indeed count towards that Pokemon's chain. This allows you to be able to hit a Catch Combo of 31+ of a rare Pokemon a lot more quickly if you have access to these encounters from Pokemon GO. For now, let's take a look at how to keep a chain going.

How to keep a chain
A Pokemon fleeing
Shutting down the console
Quitting the game
Catching a different Pokemon

Moving anywhere in the game
Having the console in sleep mode
Running from an encounter

Catch Combo Values
Catch Combo = 1/4096
Catch Combo + Lure = 1/2048
Catch Combo + Shiny Charm = 1/1365
Catch Combo + Shiny Charm + Lure = 1/1024

Catch Combo = 1/1024
Catch Combo + Lure = 1/819
Catch Combo + Shiny Charm = 1/682
Catch Combo + Shiny Charm + Lure = 1/585

Catch Combo = 1/512
Catch Combo + Lure = 1/455
Catch Combo + Shiny Charm = 1/409
Catch Combo + Shiny Charm + Lure = 1/372

Catch Combo = 1/341
Catch Combo + Lure = 1/315
Catch Combo + Shiny Charm = 1/292
Catch Combo + Shiny Charm + Lure = 1/273

Shiny Hunting Spots
Location is critical when it comes to hunting shiny Pokemon, as the number of potential Pokemon spawning up is very important. This makes Routes with long grassy areas and caves great spots to shiny hunt. Another aspect you must take into consideration is the difficulty of catching the Pokemon, as you will need to get to a Catch Combo of at least 31 in order to get the best odds. A good idea when shiny hunting is to do it on a Pokemon you have already caught 100 of, as that will make the difficulty of the catch go down a color (i.e. Red > Orange > Yellow > Green). A good example of this would be a player who has caught 100 Graveler going to Cerulean Cave in order to shiny hunt Graveler, even though it would be much easier to get a 31 chain of Geodude in Mt. Moon.

Popular Shiny Hunting Spots
Viridian Forest
Common: Oddish, Weedle, Kakuna, Beedrill, Caterpie, Metapod, Butterfree, Pikachu, Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Bellsprout. Rare: Bulbasaur

Mt. Moon
Common
: Zubat, Geodude, Paras, Sandshrew, Clefairy, Clefable, Onix. Rare: Chansey

Route 6
Common
: Abra, Growlithe, Vulpix, Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Rattata, Jigglypuff, Psyduck. Rare: Chansey
Water Encounters: Goldeen, Seaking, Magikarp
Flying Encounters: Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Pidgeot. Rare: Charizard, Dragonite, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres

Route 11
Common
: Drowzee, Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Rattata, Raticate, Mr. Mime. Rare: Chansey.
Water Encounters: Tentacool, Tentacruel, Horsea, Seadra, Magikarp
Flying Encounters: Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Pidgeot. Rare: Charizard, Dragonite, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres

Route 9
Common
: Nidoran, Nidorina, Nidorino, Spearow, Fearow, Rattata, Raticate Rare: Chansey
Flying Encounters: Spearow, Fearow. Rare: Charizard, Dragonite, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres

Route 10
Common: Nidoran, Nidorina, Nidorino, Spearow, Fearow, Rattata, Raticate, Krabby. Rare: Chansey
Water Encounters: Dratini, Dragonair, Tentacool, Tentacruel, Magikarp
Flying Encounters: Spearow, Fearow. Rare: Charizard, Dragonite, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres

Rock Tunnel
Common
: Zubat, Golbat, Cubone, Geodude, Graveler, Machop, Rhyhorn, Onix, Kangaskhan. Rare: Charmander

Route 12
Common
: Oddish, Gloom, Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Bellsprout, Weepinbell, Farfetch'd, Krabby, Kingler Rare: Chansey.
Water Encounters: Tentacool, Tentacruel, Horsea, Seadra, Magikarp.
Special: Snorlax

Route 13
Common
: Oddish, Gloom, Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Bellsprout, Weepinbell, Farfetch'd, Krabby, Kingler Rare: Chansey.

Route 14
Common: Oddish, Gloom, Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Bellsprout, Weepinbell, Venonat, Venomoth, Scyther, Pinsir, Tauros. Rare: Chansey.

Route 17
Common
: Eevee, Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Psyduck, Ponyta, Rapidash, Rattata, Ratticate, Doduo, Dodrio. Rare: Chansey

Route 21
Common
: Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Rattata, Raticate, Oddish, Gloom, Vileplume, Bellsprout, Weepinbell, Victreebel, Tangela. Rare: Chansey
Water Encounters: Tentacool, Magikarp, Staryu, Starmie, Tentacruel
Flying Encounters: Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Pidgeot. Rare: Charizard, Dragonite, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres.

Seafoam Island
Common: Zubat, Golbat, Slowpoke, Slowbro, Seel, Dewgong, Jynx. Rare: Squirtle
Water Encounters: Tentacool, Tentacruel, Shellder, Cloyster, Magikarp
Special: Articuno

Kanto Power Plant
Common
: Magnemite, Magneton, Grimer, Muk, Voltorb, Electrode, Koffing, Weezing, Electabuzz Rare: Chansey
Special: Zapdos

Pokemon Mansion
Common
: Rattata, Raticate, Grimer, Muk, Koffing, Weezing, Magmar, Ditto. Rare: Chansey

Victory Road
Common:
Zubat, Golbat, Machop, Machoke, Geodude, Graveler, Onix, Rhyhorn, Rhydon. Rare: Chansey, Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan
Special: Moltres

Cerulean Cave
Common
: Zubat, Golbat, Psyduck, Golduck, Geodude, Graveler, Lickitung, Rhyhorn, Rhydon, Ditto. Rare: Snorlax
Water Encounters: Poliwag, Poliwhirl, Poliwrath, Magikarp
Special: Mewtwo

Closing tips
If you are looking to shiny hunt thoroughly, it is important to note that most Pokemon are prone to fleeing just after their attack animation plays while the catching ring is still visible. This makes it somewhat easier to predict when you should run to preserve a chain, especially with rare encounters. If you are extremely worried about this yet don't want to pay much attention while shiny hunting, as it can be rather tedious, it may be worth stocking up on Master Balls, which have a small chance of spawning on the top floor of Cerulean Cave. Master Balls are rather rare to find, so it might be worth using the second Joy-Con with a friend or even on your own, as it gives a catch bonus; this doesn't work for water encounters, however.

If you're looking to use the Catch Combo + Shiny Charm + Lure technique, you are going to have a 15x better chance to find shiny Pokemon than full odds. However, if you wish to do it without the Shiny Charm, you are looking at a 13x better chance of finding shiny Pokemon than full odds. If you are looking to catch every shiny, it's in your best interest to seek out the Shiny Charm, although having a 13x better chance to catch shiny Pokemon without it isn't all that bad either. Have fun shiny hunting and good luck catching them all!

Last edited by a moderator:

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Thanks DBW!

I have a few edits/comments, and I'll of course open it up to other QC'ers.
Since Generation V the base rate of finding a shiny Pokemon in the wild is 1/4096
Think you mean Gen 6. Gen 5 had the full 1/8K odds.
However, as you can see all the Pokemon sprites in the over world in Pokemon Lets Go this slightly increases the odds as it would be X/4096 with X being the shiny chance of all the Pokemon visible on screen combined.
I think you mean that X is the number of Pokemon spawned, not their shiny chance.

As for some comments (add at your discretion):
  • I might reword "However, as you can see all the Pokemon sprites in the over world in Pokemon Lets Go this slightly increases the odds..." to something like "Since multiple Pokemon can be spawned simultaneously this slightly increases the odds...". Multiple Pokemon being spawned at once ups the odds (like Hordes), not the ability to see them in the overworld.
  • Some good routes for shiny hunting might be a nice addition. For example, you want enough space to move around when chaining.
  • A mention of shiny hunting Mewtwo might be nice, since you have to reset for it rather than run around like everything else.
  • Might also consider adding which mons are shiny locked (starters)
  • Just for organization sake, you could consider making what keeps or breaks a chain into a table. You may also consider adding that turning off your game resets the chain, but changing routes or putting your Switch in sleep mode won't.
Anyway, let's see what others have to say :)

Paging cant say Lego DHR-107 Xen Its_A_Random Theorymon atsync Eisenherz for their thoughts

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So something really important to note for chaining is that afaik, most Pokemon will flee soon after they use a specfic animation (usually, it's the last attack animation the Pokedex shows you). It's really important to pay attention to this, because if a wild Pokemon uses this animations and feels, you're chain is broken! Ususally, what I'd do is run the moment I saw that animation, since running doesn't break chanining.

You might also want to mention that if you transfer Pokemon from Pokemon Go, Pokemon caught from the Go park COUNT as part of a chain. So for rare spawns such as Bulbasaur, if you have a lot of them in Pokemon Go, you can transfer them, and start your chain there!

Three minor things to bring up too: Maybe mention that Mew, Meltan, and Melmetal are not required to receive the shiny charm, and I probably wouldn't call the Pokemon "sprites", since they're 3D models :P

The last thing is: I think Master Balls have a small chance of spawning in Celedon cave? Not sure about the chances, but that might be good to bring up in case a shiny is about to flee.

Eisenherz

επέκεινα της ουσίας
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I already forgot most of what I had learned about this :/ But I can concur with everything shiny finder and Theorymon wrote though (including the Master Balls on Cerulean Cave's top floor). It might also be worth adding info about the Fortune Teller in Celadon, since one usually wants to pick a nature before shiny hunting.

Tagging Josh C. since I know he's done a ton of shiny hunting in LGPE!

A few things you might want to consider including, just to build on the points already brought up:

- might as well mention Articuno, Zapdos & Moltres alongside Mewtwo as static encounters; once you 'KO' them and progress to the catching phase, they won't flee so any Shiny fail can only come from running out of Balls

- "Another aspect a player must take in to consideration is the difficulty of catching the Pokemon as you should try to get a combo of at least 31 in order to get the best odds": a 31 chain maximizes spawn rate/shiny odds but isn't necessarily related to how easy a Pokemon is to catch; I'm unsure of the exact numbers but you're guaranteed to lower a species' 'ring' once you've caught 100 of them in total (red>orange>yellow>green from hardest-easiest to catch)

- trade-offs to hunting strategies: e.g. you could sit still and let everything despawn naturally once you have your 31 chain to save steps, or actively encounter and flee from your target Pokemon which increases Lure usage...but ultimately improves chances of getting the Shiny you want, since you're leaving every other Pokemon you don't want in the overworld for as long as possible

- fleeing animation: a neat trick is to just pay attention to the catching ring; if any Pokemon does an animation with the ring still visible, they're about to flee. Handy cause you don't necessarily need to remember the difference between 2 animations

- Master Balls are very rare finds so you could mention how a player can activate co-op mode with a second Joy-Con (or Pokeball Plus) on their own for a catch bonus; doesn't work for water encounters though

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Although Josh C touched on it I think it's worth noting that (while personally I don't recommend it bc gotta get enough candy to max av everything + 100 increase capture chance) a lot of experienced shiny hunters have told me to just get the chain to 31 and sit waiting for the shiny to spawn (as nothing you can do increases the odds of getting one after that) and you'll never run out of lure.

Mewtwo is a static encounter which means that you will have to reset over and over again until it is Shiny. This could take as little as 40 resets or as many as 4000 as unfortunately it will be staying at full odds.
Does this mean that the odds for m2 (+ birds at first encounter?) are uninfluenced by lures/shiny charm? i was of the opinion (admittedly anecdotally) that they were, so do you have a source for this (either way?). Could probably use some clarification.

I mentioned the part about sitting around or forcing encounters.

I'm fairly positive most websites believe that lures do not have an effect but unconfirmed I believe. Also I'm not really sure about shiny charm.
If anyone can help me to confirm whether it is effected or not would help a lot ty.

Last edited:
I would be wise to add that a given pokemon's catch rate can be increased by catching more of it. the first catch rate buff varies between species, but it usually averages around 50 (though some rare pokemon can go up to 80). the second buff happens at 100 catches. at 100 catches, a pokemon is almost guaranteed to be a green circle with ultra & great balls, and either yellow or green with pokeballs. a golden razz berry + 100 catches of a pokemon will result in an almost guaranteed catch with any pokeball. you can find a lot of shiny fails on youtube where the people only go up to 31, and end up not catching the pokemon, so I would advise that people catch at least 100 of a pokemon before they stop. it won't increase the odds but it will save you a lot of trouble when you do find it.

EDIT: Also there is evidence to suggest that catch combos only increase the odds of the pokemon you are chaining. there was a lot of people saying that having a combo increases the shiny odds for all pokemon generated, but some people in the pokemon RNG discord have looked into the source code and said it only applies to the chained pokemon. I'd suggest getting confirmation on this just to be safe.

Last edited:
My concern is that if most people are unsure of whether it increases the chained pokemon only is it wise to add it unless it was solid fact, as it is a guide. I want as much information but obviously only proven facts.

I'll add a catch total section tomorrow

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Fwiw, Serebii seems adamant about chaining improving the odds for all Pokemon and general consensus is that the shiny charm would affect the static encounters (it appears to affect alolan's and fossils at the least...haven't seen any direct answer to statics). Though yes, it would be nice to have only facts. If you aren't satisfied with the evidence you can find, just leave it out.

edit:
Sorry, hit post instead of preview. Anyway...

I'd recommend breaking up the Intermediate routes into separate entries, since not all encounters are on those routes. Also, you have Charmander listed as a common and rare encounter on Rock Tunnel, and 2 entries for the Mansion.

edit2: Also, what is "AFKing"?
edit3: Thanks Inkblot :) That should probably be defined then since it's not clear from the guide.

Last edited:
AFKing i think is when you just stand in an area & let things spawn in and out. however, it is faster to encounter a mon and run away, as it despawns it and makes room for another mon to spawn. the afk method is useful in high spwan areas but for most routes it is better to encounter & run once you have caught enough. the despawn trick is also really helpful for rare encounters as only 1 of them can be on screen at a time.

I feel like the only thing mentioned that I don't have in right now is an explanation to AFKing but the phrase is very common and used in multiple gaming communities. If I have to explain AFKing id rather just change the phrasing.

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
I feel like the only thing mentioned that I don't have in right now is an explanation to AFKing but the phrase is very common and used in multiple gaming communities. If I have to explain AFKing id rather just change the phrasing.
It should be defined/rephrased. Once you get through that and the couple of points I mentioned in my previous post regarding the recommended routes, feel free to move to GP. If something important comes up along the way we can figure out how to add it. :)

Empress

33% coffee / 33% alcohol / 34% estrogen
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
add remove comment
Global comment: "Shiny" is capitalized.
For newer players, shiny Pokemon are recolored Pokemon that get a sparkling animation when they appear. Sort They are sought after for their rarity in games and valued highly by the dedicated Pokemon collectors. This makes them a special commodity in any Pokemon game, (AC) and Pokemon Lets go Let's Go is no different from the rest.

Before diving head first into serious shiny hunting techniques, let's lets take a look at the chances of getting a shiny Pokemon throughout a regular play(remove space)through. Since Generation VI, (AC) the base rate of finding a shiny Pokemon in the wild is 1/4096. Since Because (You just used "since" in a temporal sense, so this will eliminate confusion) multiple Pokemon can be spawned spawn simultaneously, (AC) this slightly increases the odds as it would be to X/4096, (AC) with X being the number of all the Pokemon visible on-(AH)screen.

With all this being said, if you encounter 1000 Pokemon, (AC) it does not mean that your chances are lowered at all (department of redundancy department) in any way,;(change to semi) the chance for each regular encounter will always be 1/4096. This will is also stay the same case for (phrasing) gifts and Alolan trades. However, there are multiple ways to manipulate your shiny chances, (AC) and we can will dive right into them.

Before starting your shiny hunt, (AC) it is worth talking to the Fortune Teller in Celadon City if you wish to choose your target's nature before hunting.

unfortunately Unfortunately, before getting started, (AC) it is important to note that there are a few roadblocks in the way when trying to complete the Pokedex with shiny Pokemon. Firstly, both Pikachu and Eevee as starters are shiny locked as starters, which means you have a 0% chance of getting a shiny starter no matter how many resets you do. This does not mean that a player can(remove space)not get a shiny Pikachu and or Eevee in the game,; (change to semi) in fact, (AC) they are quite common. However, it will have to be a regular one. Another Pokemon that does not follow the regular methods of shiny hunting is Mewtwo, (AC) which makes it significantly harder to hunt. Mewtwo is a static encounter, (AC) which means that you will have to reset over and over again until it is Shiny. This could take as little few as 40 resets or as many as 4000, (AC) as unfortunately, (AC) it will be staying at full odds. It's also important to know that all three legendary birds (Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres) (parentheses) have are static encounters when first met. These Pokemon, like Mewtwo, also have to be reset require resetting (While you are technically "resetting the Pokemon", the action is "Resetting the game") in order to find a shiny. The advantage of these encounters is that once the a shiny has been stumbled upon, (AC) a player has infinite opportunities to catch them without a flee chance until they are out of balls Poke Balls.

Flying
Once you have completed the game, (AC) you are able to fly on the back of certain Pokemon and encounter flying Pokemon while also being able to see the grounded Pokemon on the route which you are currently on. This may seem small, (AC) but with the extra Pokemon in view due to you having access to flying and grounded encounters, (AC) it raises the value of X in X/4096.

Shiny Charm
Once the Pokedex is complete, (AC) you are able to go to Celadon City to receive a Shiny Charm. It is important to note that the Pokedex can be complete without Mew, Meltan, and Melmetal. This The item still may be a grind to get, (AC) but it is really useful when begging beginning serious shiny hunts, (AC) as it lowers the base rate of finding a shiny from 1/4096 to 1/1365 just by having it. Although the chances chance of randomly encountering a shiny Pokemon is still quite low, (AC) this significantly improves those odds. (I'm not sure if you need this sentence.) The Shiny Charm already works well with the flying technique, (AC) as it the rate will be X/1365, (AC) rather than X/4096 with lots of potential Pokemon on screen to up the odds.

Lures
If you do not wish to go through the lengths of getting the Shiny Charm, (AC) then there is are other ways of boosting your shiny odds. A very simple way of boosting shiny odds is with Lures. Items that They are commonly sold in Poke Marts they and can up the odd double the base odds of finding Shiny Pokemon to 1/2048 which is double the chance of finding a shiny than normal. (Wordiness) This works the same regardless of which lure was is used. However, if you combine the Lure with the Shiny Charm, (AC) the odds are further dropped to 1/1024, (AC) which is are some of the best odds for random encounters. The added benefits benefit of having Lures active is that more Pokemon will spawn in the area, (AC) giving you a higher X value in X/2048 and X/1024 respectably.

When using Lures, (AC) a choice that players you (parallelism) have to make is whether to force encounters or to stand still. There are benefits to both, (AC) as forcing encounters and fleeing changes the Pokemon that you are encountering faster more often, (Is this correct?) making the Pokemon more likely to be the shiny that spawns. The benefits of standing still is that the Lure will last a much longer time and there is little effort involved.

Combos
Combos in Pokemon are by far the best way to manipulate shiny odds in Pokemon Let'(apostrophe)s Go. Each Combo threshold has a different shiny spawn rate, (AC) with a Combo of 31+ being creating the best odds possible to find a shiny in the game. The Combo has to be on one Pokemon, (AC) though, (AC) and will reset if a player was you happen to catch another Pokemon or have a Pokemon flee. When getting combos on rare Pokemon, (AC) it is important to note that Pokemon GO Park encounters do indeed count towards that Pokemon'(apostrophe)s chain. This allows you to be able to hit a combo of 31+ of a rare Pokemon a lot quicker more quickly if you have access to them these encounters from Pokemon GO. For now, let'(apostrophe)s take a look at how to keep a chain going.

How to keep a chain
A Pokemon fleeing
Quiting the game

Combo Values
Combo = 1/4096
Combo + Lure = 1/2048
Combo + Shiny Charm = 1/1365
Combo + Shiny Charm + Lure = 1/1024

Combo = 1/1024
Combo + Lure = 1/819
Combo + Shiny Charm = 1/682
Combo + Shiny Charm + Lure = 1/585

Combo = 1/512
Combo + Lure = 1/455
Combo + Shiny Charm = 1/409
Combo + Shiny Charm + Lure = 1/372

Combo = 1/341
Combo + Lure = 1/315
Combo + Shiny Charm = 1/292
Combo + Shiny Charm + Lure = 1/273

Shiny Hunting Spots
Location is critical when it comes to hunting shiny Pokemon, (AC) as the amount number of potential Pokemon spawning up is very important. This makes Routes with long grassy areas and caves great spots to shiny hunt. Another aspect a player you must take in(remove space)to consideration is the difficulty of catching the Pokemon, (AC) as you will need to get to a combo of at least 31 in order to get the best odds. A good idea when shiny hunting is to do it on a Pokemon you have already caught a total of (repetition)100 of, as that will make the difficulty of the catch go down a color I.E (i.e. Red > Orange > Yellow > Green)(parentheses). A good example of this would be a player going to Cerulean Cave in order to shiny hunt Graveler when it would be much easier to get a 31+ chain of Geodudes in Mt.(period) Moon. (I don't understand this last sentence. Are you saying that this scenario would happen if the player already has 100 Graveler?)

Viridian Forest
Commom Common: Oddish, Weedle, Caterpie, Kakuna, Beedrill, Caterpie, Metapod, Butterfree, Pikachu, Pidgey, Pidgeotte Pidgeotto, Butterfree, Beedrill, (ordering) Bellsprout. Rare: Bulbasaur

Mt. Moon
Common
: Zubat, Geodude, Paras, Sandshrew, Clefairy, Onix, Clefable, Onix. (ordering) Rare: Chansey

Route 6
Common
: Abra, Growlithe, Vulpix, Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Rattata, Jigglypuff, Psyduck. Rare: Chansey

Route 11
Common
: Drowzee, Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Rattata, Raticate, Mr. (period) Mime. Rare: Chansey.

Route 9
Common

Route 10
Common: Nidoran, Nidorina, Nidorino, Spearow, Fearow, Rattata, Raticate, Krabby. Rare: Chansey

Rock Tunnel
Common
: Golbat, Zubat, Golbat (ordering) Cubone, Geodude, Graveler, Machop, Rhyhorn, Onix, Kangaskhan. Rare: Charmander

Route 12
Common

Route 13
Common

Route 14
Common: Oddish, Gloom, Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Bellsprout, Weepinbell, Venonat, Venomoth, Scyther, Pinsir, Tauros. Rare: Chansey.

Route 17
Common
: Eevee, Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Psyduck, Ponyta, Rapidash, Rattata, Ratticate, Doduo, Dodrio. Rare: Chansey

Route 21
Common
: Rattata, Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Rattata, (ordering) Raticate, Oddish, Gloom, Vileplume, Bellsprout, Weepinbell, Victreebell Victreebel, Tangela. Rare: Chansey
Flying Encounters: Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Pidgeot. Rare: Charizard, Dragonite, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres.

Seafoam Island

Kanto Power Plant
Common
: Magnemite, Magneton, Grimer, Muk, Voltorb, Electrode, Koffing, Weezing, Electabuzz Rare: Chansey

Pokemon Masion Mansion
Common
: Rattata, Raticate, Grimer, Muk, Koffing, Weezing, Magmar, Ditto. Rare: Chansey

Victory Road
Common:
Zubat, Golbat, Machop, Machoke, Geodude, Graveler, Onix, Rhyhorn, Rhydon. Rare: Chansey, Hitmonchop Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan

Cerulean Cave
Common
: Zubat, Golbat, Psyduck, Golduck, Geodude, Graveler, Lickitung, Rhyhorn, Rhydon, Ditto Rare: Snorlax

Closing tips
If you are looking to shiny hunt thoroughly, it is important to note that most Pokemon are prone to fleeing just after their attack animation plays while the catching ring is still visible. This makes it somewhat easier to predict when you should run to preserve a chain, (AC) especially with rare encounters. If you are extremely worried about this yet want to shiny hunt without paying don't want to pay (repetition) much attention while shiny hunting, (AC) as it can be rather tedious, it may be worth stocking up on Master Balls, (AC) as they have a small chance of spawning on the top floor of Cerulean Cave, this allows you to guarantee a capture once you run into a shiny. (I presume the reader knows what a Master Ball does) Master Balls are rather rare to find, (AC) so it might be worth using the second joy-con Joy-Con with a friend or even playing on their your own, (AC) as it gives a catch bonus making it more likely to successfully catch a shiny (redundant),; (change to semi) this doesn't work for water encounters, however.

For players If you're looking to use the Combo, (RC) + Shiny Charm, (RC) + and Lure technique, (AC) you are going to have a 15x times better chance to find shiny Pokemon than full odds. However, for people that if you wish to do it without the Shiny Charm, (AC) they you are looking at having a 13x times better chance of finding shiny Pokemon than full odds. If you are looking to catch every shiny, (AC) it'(apostrophe)s in the players your best interest to seek out the Shiny Charm, (AC) although having a 13x better chance to catch shiny Pokemon without it isn't all that bad either. Have fun shiny hunting and good luck catching them all!
GP 1/2

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
(I don't understand this last sentence. Are you saying that this scenario would happen if the player already has 100 Graveler?)
I think the idea what it's better to chain Graveler if you have caught 100, even tho it's easier to chain Geodude in another location. I tried making that a bit clearer.

OP hasn't been on in a while, so I went ahead and implemented these changes. Thanks so much!!

Empress

33% coffee / 33% alcohol / 34% estrogen
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think the idea what it's better to chain Graveler if you have caught 100, even tho it's easier to chain Geodude in another location. I tried making that a bit clearer.

OP hasn't been on in a while, so I went ahead and implemented these changes. Thanks so much!!
One more thing: I'm pretty sure the accented é should be used here, so be sure to change Pokemon to Pokémon.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
aaaaahhhh GP 2/2
For newer players, shiny Pokemon are recolored Pokemon that get a sparkling animation when they appear. They are sought after for their rarity in games and valued highly by the dedicated Pokemon collectors. This makes them a special commodity in any Pokemon game, and Pokemon Let's Go is no different from the rest.

Before diving head first headfirst into serious shiny hunting techniques, (AC) let's take a look at the chances of getting a shiny Pokemon throughout a regular playthrough. Since Generation VI, the base rate of finding a shiny Pokemon in the wild is 1/4096. Because multiple Pokemon can spawn simultaneously, this slightly increases the odds to X/4096, with X being the number of Pokemon visible on-screen.

With all this being said, if you encounter 1000 Pokemon, it does not mean that your chances are gradually lowered in any way; the chance for each regular encounter will always be 1/4096. This is also the case for gifts and Alolan trades. However, there are multiple ways to manipulate your shiny chances, and we will dive right into them.

Before starting your shiny hunt, it is worth talking to the Fortune Teller in Celadon City if you wish to choose your target's nature before hunting.

Unfortunately, before getting started, it is important to note that there are a few roadblocks in the way when trying to complete the Pokedex with Shiny Pokemon. Firstly, both Pikachu and Eevee are shiny locked as starters, which means you have a 0% chance of getting a shiny starter no matter how many resets you do. This does not mean that a player cannot get a shiny Pikachu or Eevee in the game; in fact, they are quite common. However, it will have to be a regular one. Another Pokemon that does not follow the regular methods of shiny hunting is Mewtwo, which makes it significantly harder to hunt. Mewtwo is a static encounter, which means that you will have to reset over and over again until it is shiny. This could take as few as 40 resets or as many as 4000, as unfortunately, it will be staying at full odds. It's also important to know that all three legendary birds (Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres) are static encounters when first met. These Pokemon, like Mewtwo, also require resetting in order to find a shiny. The advantage of these encounters is that once a shiny has been stumbled upon, a player has infinite opportunities to catch them without a flee chance until they are out of Poke Balls.

Flying
Once you have completed the game, you are able to fly on the back of certain Pokemon and encounter flying Pokemon while also being able to see the grounded Pokemon on the route you are currently on. This may seem small, but with the extra Pokemon in view due to you having access to flying and grounded encounters, it raises the value of X in X/4096.

Shiny Charm
Once the Pokedex is complete, you are able to go to Celadon City to receive a Shiny Charm. It is important to note that completing the Pokedex can be complete without does not technically require Mew, Meltan, and Melmetal. The item still may be a grind to get, but it is really useful when beginning serious shiny hunts, as it lowers the base rate of finding a shiny from 1/4096 to 1/1365. Although the chance of randomly encountering a shiny Pokemon is still quite low, this significantly improves those odds. The Shiny Charm works well with the flying technique, as the rate will be X/1365, with lots of potential Pokemon on screen to up the odds.

Lures
If you do not wish to go through the lengths of getting the Shiny Charm, then there are other ways of boosting your Shiny odds. A very simple way of boosting shiny odds is with Lures. They are commonly sold in Poke Marts and can double the base odds of finding shiny Pokemon to 1/2048. This works the same regardless of which Lure is used. However, if you combine the Lure with the Shiny Charm, the odds are further dropped to 1/1024, which are some of the best odds for random encounters. The added benefit of having Lures active is that more Pokemon will spawn in the area, giving you a higher X value.

When using Lures, a choice that you have to make is whether to force encounters or to stand still. There are benefits to both, as forcing encounters and fleeing changes the Pokemon that you are encountering more often, making the Pokemon more likely to be Shiny. The benefits of standing still is that the Lure will last a much longer time and there is little effort involved.

Combos
Combos are by far the best way to manipulate Shiny odds in Pokemon Let's Go. Each Combo (idk if these should be capitalised) threshold has a different shiny spawn rate, with a Combo of 31+ creating the best odds possible to find a shiny in the game. The Combo has to be on one Pokemon, though, and it will reset if you happen to catch another Pokemon or have a Pokemon flee. When getting combos on rare Pokemon, it is important to note that Pokemon GO Park encounters do indeed count towards that Pokemon's chain. This allows you to be able to hit a Combo of 31+ of a rare Pokemon a lot more quickly if you have access to these encounters from Pokemon GO. For now, let's take a look at how to keep a chain going.

How to keep a chain
A Pokemon fleeing
Quiting Quitting the game

Combo Values
Combo = 1/4096
Combo + Lure = 1/2048
Combo + Shiny Charm = 1/1365
Combo + Shiny Charm + Lure = 1/1024

Combo = 1/1024
Combo + Lure = 1/819
Combo + Shiny Charm = 1/682
Combo + Shiny Charm + Lure = 1/585

Combo = 1/512
Combo + Lure = 1/455
Combo + Shiny Charm = 1/409
Combo + Shiny Charm + Lure = 1/372

Combo = 1/341
Combo + Lure = 1/315
Combo + Shiny Charm = 1/292
Combo + Shiny Charm + Lure = 1/273

Shiny Hunting Spots
Location is critical when it comes to hunting shiny Pokemon, as the number of potential Pokemon spawning up is very important. This makes Routes with long grassy areas and caves great spots to shiny hunt. Another aspect you must take into consideration is the difficulty of catching the Pokemon, as you will need to get to a combo of at least 31 in order to get the best odds. A good idea when shiny hunting is to do it on a Pokemon you have already caught 100 of, as that will make the difficulty of the catch go down a color (i.e. Red > Orange > Yellow > Green). A good example of this would be a player who has caught 100 Graveler going to Cerulean Cave in order to shiny hunt Graveler, even though it would be much easier to get a 31 chain of Geodude in Mt. Moon.

Viridian Forest
Common: Oddish, Weedle, Kakuna, Beedrill, Caterpie, Metapod, Butterfree, Pikachu, Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Bellsprout. Rare: Bulbasaur

Mt. Moon
Common
: Zubat, Geodude, Paras, Sandshrew, Clefairy, Clefable, Onix. Rare: Chansey

Route 6
Common

Route 11
Common
: Drowzee, Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Rattata, Raticate, Mr. Mime. Rare: Chansey.

Route 9
Common

Route 10

Rock Tunnel
Common
: Zubat, Golbat, Cubone, Geodude, Graveler, Machop, Rhyhorn, Onix, Kangaskhan. Rare: Charmander

Route 12
Common

Route 13
Common

Route 14

Route 17
Common

Route 21
Common
: Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Rattata, Raticate, Oddish, Gloom, Vileplume, Bellsprout, Weepinbell, Victreebel, Tangela. Rare: Chansey

Seafoam Island

Kanto Power Plant
Common

Pokemon Mansion
Common

Victory Road
Common:
Zubat, Golbat, Machop, Machoke, Geodude, Graveler, Onix, Rhyhorn, Rhydon. Rare: Chansey, Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan

Cerulean Cave
Common
: Zubat, Golbat, Psyduck, Golduck, Geodude, Graveler, Lickitung, Rhyhorn, Rhydon, Ditto. Rare: Snorlax

Closing tips
If you are looking to shiny hunt thoroughly, it is important to note that most Pokemon are prone to fleeing just after their attack animation plays while the catching ring is still visible. This makes it somewhat easier to predict when you should run to preserve a chain, especially with rare encounters. If you are extremely worried about this yet don't want to pay much attention while shiny hunting, as it can be rather tedious, it may be worth stocking up on Master Balls, as they which have a small chance of spawning on the top floor of Cerulean Cave. Master Balls are rather rare to find, so it might be worth using the second Joy-Con with a friend or even on your own, as it gives a catch bonus; this doesn't work for water encounters, however.

If you're looking to use the Combo + Shiny Charm + Lure technique, you are going to have a 15x better chance to find shiny Pokemon than full odds. However, if you wish to do it without the Shiny Charm, you are looking at a 13x better chance of finding shiny Pokemon than full odds. If you are looking to catch every shiny, it's in your best interest to seek out the Shiny Charm, although having a 13x better chance to catch shiny Pokemon without it isn't all that bad either. Have fun shiny hunting and good luck catching them all!

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
HTML'd this to get it on-site asap (and give ryota a break)

Can preview here by copy/pasting the code below: https://www.smogon.com/articles/tools/previewer

Tables might look a bit wide on larger screens, but they dynamically size to make it more mobile-friendly.

Please lmk what I screwed up The Dutch Plumberjack :)
HTML:
<!-- preview article at https://www.smogon.com/articles/tools/previewer -->
[title]
LGPE Shiny Hunting Guide 

[head]
<meta name="description" content="A guide to efficiently finding shiny Pok&eacute;mon in Pok&eacute;mon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Pok&eacute;mon: Let's Go, Eevee!" />

<link rel="stylesheet" href="../stylesheet.css" />

<style type="text/css">
.shTable, .shTable th, .shTable td {
    border: 1px solid black;
    border-collapse: collapse;
}

.shTable th, .shTable td {
    padding: 5px;
    text-align: center;
}

.shTable th {
    background-color: #c64444;
    color: white;
}

.shTable tr:nth-child(even) {
     background-color: #ddd;
}

h2 {
    padding-top: 1em;
}
</style>

[page]
<div class="author">By <a href="/forums/members/snow.293061/">snow</a>.</div>

<ul class="toc">
    <li><a href="#intro">Introduction</a></li>
    <li><a href="#avoid">What Pok&eacute;mon to Avoid Using This Method</a></li>
    <li><a href="#flying">Flying</a></li>        
    <li><a href="#charm">Shiny Charm</a></li>
    <li><a href="#lure">Lures</a></li>
    <li><a href="#combo">Catch Combos</a>
        <ul class="toc">
            <li><a href="#chainHow">How to Keep a Chain</a>
                <ul>
                    <li><a href="#chainBreak">What Breaks a Chain</a></li>
                    <li><a href="#chainKeep">What Keeps a Chain</a></li>
                </ul>
            </li>
            <li><a href="#chainValue">Catch Combo Values</a></li>
        </ul>
    </li>
    <li><a href="#spots">Shiny Hunting Spots</a>
        <ul>
            <li><a href="#popSpot">Popular Shiny Hunting Spots</a>
                <ul>
                    <li><a href="#easy">Easy</a></li>
                    <li><a href="#medium">Intermediate</a></li>
                    <li><a href="#hard">Hard</a></li>
                </ul>
            </li>
        </ul>
    </li>
    <li><a href="#close">Closing Tips</a></li>
</ul>
<hr />

<h2 id="intro">Introduction to Shiny Pok&eacute;mon</h2>
<p>For newer players, shiny Pok&eacute;mon are recolored Pok&eacute;mon that get a sparkling animation when they appear. They are sought after for their rarity in games and valued highly by the dedicated Pok&eacute;mon collectors. This makes them a special commodity in any Pok&eacute;mon game, and Pok&eacute;mon: Let's Go is no different from the rest.</p>

<p>Before diving headfirst into serious shiny hunting techniques, let's take a look at the chances of getting a shiny Pok&eacute;mon throughout a regular playthrough. Since Generation VI, the base rate of finding a shiny Pok&eacute;mon in the wild is 1/4096. Because multiple Pok&eacute;mon can spawn simultaneously, this slightly increases the odds to X/4096, with X being the number of Pok&eacute;mon visible on-screen.</p>

<p>With all this being said, if you encounter 1000 Pok&eacute;mon, it does not mean that your chances are gradually lowered in any way; the chance for each regular encounter will always be 1/4096. This is also the case for gifts and Alolan trades. However, there are multiple ways to manipulate your shiny chances, and we will dive right into them.</p>

<p>Before starting your shiny hunt, it is worth talking to the Fortune Teller in Celadon City if you wish to choose your target's nature before hunting.</p>

<h2 id="avoid">What Pok&eacute;mon to Avoid Using This Method</h2>

<p>Unfortunately, before getting started, it is important to note that there are a few roadblocks in the way when trying to complete the Pok&eacute;dex with Shiny Pok&eacute;mon. Firstly, both Pikachu and Eevee are shiny locked as starters, which means you have a 0% chance of getting a shiny starter no matter how many resets you do. This does not mean that a player cannot get a shiny Pikachu or Eevee in the game; in fact, they are quite common. However, it will have to be a regular one. Another Pok&eacute;mon that does not follow the regular methods of shiny hunting is Mewtwo, which makes it significantly harder to hunt. Mewtwo is a static encounter, which means that you will have to reset over and over again until it is shiny. This could take as few as 40 resets or as many as 4000, as unfortunately, it will be staying at full odds. It's also important to know that all three legendary birds (Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres) are static encounters when first met. These Pok&eacute;mon, like Mewtwo, also require resetting in order to find a shiny. The advantage of these encounters is that once a shiny has been stumbled upon, a player has infinite opportunities to catch them without a flee chance until they are out of Pok&eacute; Balls.</p>

<h2 id="flying">Flying</h2>

<p>Once you have completed the game, you are able to fly on the back of certain Pok&eacute;mon and encounter flying Pok&eacute;mon while also being able to see the grounded Pok&eacute;mon on the route you are currently on. This may seem small, but with the extra Pok&eacute;mon in view due to you having access to flying and grounded encounters, it raises the value of X in X/4096.</p>

<h2 id="charm">Shiny Charm</h2>
<p>Once the Pok&eacute;dex is complete, you are able to go to Celadon City to receive a Shiny Charm. It is important to note that completing the Pok&eacute;dex does not technically require Mew, Meltan, and Melmetal. The item still may be a grind to get, but it is really useful when beginning serious shiny hunts, as it lowers the base rate of finding a shiny from 1/4096 to 1/1365. Although the chance of randomly encountering a shiny Pok&eacute;mon is still quite low, this significantly improves those odds. The Shiny Charm works well with the flying technique, as the rate will be X/1365, with lots of potential Pok&eacute;mon on screen to up the odds.</p>

<h2 id="lure">Lures</h2>
<p>If you do not wish to go through the lengths of getting the Shiny Charm, there are other ways of boosting your Shiny odds. A very simple way of boosting shiny odds is with Lures. They are commonly sold in Pok&eacute; Marts and can double the base odds of finding shiny Pok&eacute;mon to 1/2048. This works the same regardless of which Lure is used. However, if you combine the Lure with the Shiny Charm, the odds are further dropped to 1/1024, which are some of the best odds for random encounters. The added benefit of having Lures active is that more Pok&eacute;mon will spawn in the area, giving you a higher X value.</p>

<p>When using Lures, a choice that you have to make is whether to force encounters or to stand still. There are benefits to both, as forcing encounters and fleeing changes the Pok&eacute;mon that you are encountering more often, making the Pok&eacute;mon more likely to be Shiny. The benefits of standing still is that the Lure will last a much longer time and there is little effort involved.</p>

<h2 id="combo">Catch Combos</h2>
<p>Catch Combos are by far the best way to manipulate shiny odds in Pok&eacute;mon: Let's Go. Each Catch Combo threshold has a different shiny spawn rate, with a Catch Combo of 31+ creating the best odds possible to find a shiny in the game. The Catch Combo has to be on one Pok&eacute;mon, though, and it will reset if you happen to catch another Pok&eacute;mon or have a Pok&eacute;mon flee. When getting combos on rare Pok&eacute;mon, it is important to note that Pok&eacute;mon GO Park encounters do indeed count towards that Pok&eacute;mon's chain. This allows you to be able to hit a Catch Combo of 31+ of a rare Pok&eacute;mon a lot more quickly if you have access to these encounters from Pok&eacute;mon GO. For now, let's take a look at how to keep a chain going.</p>

<h3 id="chainHow">How to Keep a Chain</h3>
<h4 id="chainBreak">What Breaks a Chain</h4>
<ul>
    <li>A Pok&eacute;mon fleeing</li>
    <li>Shutting down the console</li>
    <li>Quitting the game</li>
    <li>Catching a different Pok&eacute;mon</li>
</ul>

<h4 id="chainKeep">What Keeps a Chain</h4>
<ul>
    <li>Moving anywhere in the game</li>
    <li>Having the console in sleep mode</li>
    <li>Running from an encounter</li>
</ul>

<h3 id="chainValue">Catch Combo Values</h3>
<table class="shTable">
    <tr>
        <th>Modifiers</th>
        <th>0-10</th>
        <th>11-20</th>
        <th>21-30</th>
        <th>31+</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Catch Combo</td>
        <td>1/4096</td>
        <td>1/1024</td>
        <td>1/512</td>
        <td>1/341</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Catch Combo + Lure</td>
        <td>1/2048</td>
        <td>1/819</td>
        <td>1/455</td>
        <td>1/315</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Catch Combo + Shiny Charm</td>
        <td>1/1365</td>
        <td>1/682</td>
        <td>1/409</td>
        <td>1/292</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Catch Combo + Shiny Charm + Lure</td>
        <td>1/1024</td>
        <td>1/585</td>
        <td>1/372</td>
        <td>1/273</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<h2 id="spots">Shiny Hunting Spots</h2>
<p>Location is critical when it comes to hunting shiny Pok&eacute;mon, as the number of potential Pok&eacute;mon spawning up is very important. This makes Routes with long grassy areas and caves great spots to shiny hunt. Another aspect you must take into consideration is the difficulty of catching the Pok&eacute;mon, as you will need to get to a Catch Combo of at least 31 in order to get the best odds. A good idea when shiny hunting is to do it on a Pok&eacute;mon you have already caught 100 of, as that will make the difficulty of the catch go down a color (i.e. Red > Orange > Yellow > Green). A good example of this would be a player who has caught 100 Graveler going to Cerulean Cave in order to shiny hunt Graveler, even though it would be much easier to get a 31 chain of Geodude in Mt. Moon.</p>

<h3 id="popSpot">Popular Shiny Hunting Spots</h3>
<h4 id="easy">Easy</h4>
<table class="shTable">
    <tr>
        <th>Location</th>
        <th>Common</th>
        <th>Rare</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Viridian Forest</td>
        <td>Oddish, Weedle, Kakuna, Beedrill, Caterpie, Metapod, Butterfree, Pikachu, Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Bellsprout</td>
        <td>Bulbasaur</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Mt. Moon</td>
        <td>Zubat, Geodude, Paras, Sandshrew, Clefairy, Clefable, Onix</td>
        <td>Chansey</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Route 6</td>
        <td>Abra, Growlithe, Vulpix, Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Rattata, Jigglypuff, Psyduck</td>
        <td>Chansey</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Route 6 - Water</td>
        <td>Goldeen, Seaking, Magikarp</td>
        <td></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Route 6 - Flying</td>
        <td>Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Pidgeot</td>
        <td>Charizard, Dragonite, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<h4 id="medium">Intermediate</h4>
<table class="shTable">
    <tr>
        <th>Location</th>
        <th>Common</th>
        <th>Rare</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Route 11</td>
        <td>Drowzee, Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Rattata, Raticate, Mr. Mime</td>
        <td>Chansey</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Route 11 - Water</td>
        <td>Tentacool, Tentacruel, Horsea, Seadra, Magikarp</td>
        <td></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Rotue 11 - Flying</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Route 9</td>
        <td>Nidoran, Nidorina, Nidorino, Spearow, Fearow, Rattata, Raticate</td>
        <td>Chansey</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Route 9 - Flying</td>
        <td>Spearow, Fearow</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Route 10</td>
        <td>Nidoran, Nidorina, Nidorino, Spearow, Fearow, Rattata, Raticate, Krabby</td>
        <td>Chansey</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Route 10 - Water</td>
        <td>Dratini, Dragonair, Tentacool, Tentacruel, Magikarp</td>
        <td></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Route 10 - Flying</td>
        <td>Spearow, Fearow</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Rock Tunnel</td>
        <td>Zubat, Golbat, Cubone, Geodude, Graveler, Machop, Rhyhorn, Onix, Kangaskhan</td>
        <td>Charmander</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Route 12</td>
        <td>Oddish, Gloom, Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Bellsprout, Weepinbell, Farfetch'd, Krabby, Kingler</td>
        <td>Chansey</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Route 12 - Water</td>
        <td></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Route 12 - Flying</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Route 12 - Special</td>
        <td>Snorlax</td>
        <td></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Route 13</td>
        <td>Oddish, Gloom, Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Bellsprout, Weepinbell, Farfetch'd, Krabby, Kingler</td>
        <td>Chansey</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Route 13 - Water</td>
        <td></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Route 13 - Flying</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Route 14</td>
        <td>Oddish, Gloom, Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Bellsprout, Weepinbell, Venonat, Venomoth, Scyther, Pinsir, Tauros</td>
        <td>Chansey</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Rotue 14 - Flying</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<h4 id="hard">Hard</h4>
<table class="shTable">
    <tr>
        <th>Location</th>
        <th>Common</th>
        <th>Rare</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Route 17</td>
        <td>Eevee, Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Psyduck, Ponyta, Rapidash, Rattata, Ratticate, Doduo, Dodrio</td>
        <td>Chansey</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Route 17 - Flying</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Route 21</td>
        <td>Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Rattata, Raticate, Oddish, Gloom, Vileplume, Bellsprout, Weepinbell, Victreebel, Tangela</td>
        <td>Chansey</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Route 21 - Water</td>
        <td>Tentacool, Magikarp, Staryu, Starmie, Tentacruel</td>
        <td></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Route 21 - Flying</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Seafoam Islands</td>
        <td>Zubat, Golbat, Slowpoke, Slowbro, Seel, Dewgong, Jynx</td>
        <td>Squirtle</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Seafoam Islands - Water</td>
        <td>Tentacool, Tentacruel, Shellder, Cloyster, Magikarp</td>
        <td></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Seafoam Islands - Special</td>
        <td>Articuno</td>
        <td></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Kanto Power Plant</td>
        <td>Magnemite, Magneton, Grimer, Muk, Voltorb, Electrode, Koffing, Weezing, Electabuzz</td>
        <td>Chansey</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Kanto Power Plant - Special</td>
        <td>Zapdos</td>
        <td></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Pok&eacute;mon Mansion</td>
        <td>Rattata, Raticate, Grimer, Muk, Koffing, Weezing, Magmar, Ditto</td>
        <td>Chansey</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Victory Road</td>
        <td>Zubat, Golbat, Machop, Machoke, Geodude, Graveler, Onix, Rhyhorn, Rhydon</td>
        <td>Chansey, Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Victory Road - Special</td>
        <td>Moltres</td>
        <td></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Cerulean Cave</td>
        <td>Zubat, Golbat, Psyduck, Golduck, Geodude, Graveler, Lickitung, Rhyhorn, Rhydon, Ditto</td>
        <td>Snorlax</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Cerulean Cave - Water</td>
        <td>Poliwag, Poliwhirl, Poliwrath, Magikarp</td>
        <td></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Cerulean Cave - Special</td>
        <td>Mewtwo</td>
        <td></td>
    </tr>
</table>

<h2 id="close">Closing Tips</h2>
<p>If you are looking to shiny hunt thoroughly, it is important to note that most Pok&eacute;mon are prone to fleeing just after their attack animation plays while the catching ring is still visible. This makes it somewhat easier to predict when you should run to preserve a chain, especially with rare encounters. If you are extremely worried about this yet don't want to pay much attention while shiny hunting, as it can be rather tedious, it may be worth stocking up on Master Balls, which have a small chance of spawning on the top floor of Cerulean Cave. Master Balls are rather rare to find, so it might be worth using the second Joy-Con with a friend or even on your own, as it gives a catch bonus; this doesn't work for water encounters, however.</p>

<p>If you're looking to use the Catch Combo + Shiny Charm + Lure technique, you are going to have a 15x better chance to find shiny Pok&eacute;mon than full odds. However, if you wish to do it without the Shiny Charm, you are looking at a 13x better chance of finding shiny Pok&eacute;mon than full odds. If you are looking to catch every shiny, it's in your best interest to seek out the Shiny Charm, although having a 13x better chance to catch shiny Pok&eacute;mon without it isn't all that bad either. Have fun shiny hunting and good luck catching them all!</p>

Last edited:

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
hey, I am not TDP, but I went over and gave it a quick check. While I couldn't find any errors through validating it, you might want to fix this:

table-gone-wrong.jpg

what you want to do to fix this is give each table a class (e.g. sh-table) and target the class in the CSS instead of the table (e.g. it should be .sh-table td or table.sh-table td and not merely table). This is because the articles pages use tables for layout and thus targetting tables directly is pretty much affecting the whole article's structure. Thus, your code might look like:

.sh-table, .sh-table th, .sh-table td {
/* insert some CSS code */
}

instead of:

table, table th, table td {
/* insert some CSS code */
}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)