Lickilicky

This is my first thread, but I figured I would give it a whirl. I didnt see any other threads on this guy so why not?

Lickilicky

Normal

STATS: 110/ 85/ 95/ 80/ 95/ 50

Abilities:
Own Tempo:
The Pokémon cannot be Confused while having this ability.
Oblivious: The Pokémon cannot be under the ATTRACT condition while having this ability.
Cloud Nine (Dream World): All weather effects are negated while the Pokémon is on the field.

LVL UP MOVES:
Lv1: Lick
Lv5: Supersonic
Lv9: Defense Curl
Lv13: Knock Off
Lv17: Wrap
Lv21: Stomp
Lv25: Disable
Lv29: Slam
Lv33: Rollout
Lv37: [M498] (Little By Little)
Lv41: Me First
Lv45: Refresh
Lv49: Screech
Lv53: Power Whip
Lv57: Wring Out
Lv61: Gyro Ball

EGG MOVES:
Belly Drum
Magnitude
Body Slam
Curse
SmellingSalt
Sleep Talk
Snore
Amnesia
Hammer Arm
Muddy Water
Zen Headbutt

Learnable TMs:
TM06 - Toxic, TM10 - Hidden Power, TM11 - Sunny Day, TM13 - Ice Beam, TM14 - Blizzard, TM15 - Hyper Beam, TM17 - Protect, TM18 - Rain Dance, TM21 - Frustration, TM22 - Solar Beam, TM24 - Thunderbolt, TM25 - Thunder, TM26 - Earthquake, TM27 - Return, TM28 - Dig, TM30 - Shadow Ball, TM31 - Brick Break, TM32 - Double Team, TM35 - Flamethower, TM37 - Sandstorm, TM38 - Fire Blast , TM39 - Rock Tomb, TM42 - Facade, TM44 - Rest, TM45 - Attract, TM46 - Thief, TM48 - Troll, TM52 - Focus Blast, TM56 - Fling, TM59 - Incinerate, TM64 - Explosion, TM67 - Get Even, TM68 - Giga Impact, TM74 - Gyro Ball, TM75 - Swords Dance, TM77 - Psych Up, TM78 - Smooth Over, TM80 - Rock Slide, TM82 - Dragon Tail, TM83 - Cheer Up, TM85 - Dream Eater, TM87 - Swagger, TM90 - Substitute, TM94 - Rock Smash, HM01 - Cut, HM03 - Surf, HM04 - Strength

At first look:

• CLOUD NINE. What a great change. The one thing that put him down in NU was the mere fact that he was outclassed by snorlax. Really, why use him? Although he had a very large move pool, and that beautiful stab explosion, he just couldn't cut it in comparison to the large sleeping bear. But now Cloud Nine brings him in with a real use that won't be underestimated in this future weather heavy metagame.
  • Beautiful move pool: Now this isn't necessarily new. In fact, as much as it is amazing, its also sadening. Such a poor thing as he is the perfect example of having "move slot syndrome." BUT it definitely adds to his unpredictability, and his ability to run an awesome mixed attacking set.
  • CHEER UP. With cheer up, he definitely has an advantage with boosting his mixed attacking potential. Sadly he does not have the speed to boast for the sweeping ability, but he definitely has the bulk.
  • EXPLOSION. I only bring this one up because of one thing. The nerf. I hear that explosion was nerfed this generation. HOWEVER, it still is something to fear, especially with it being stab on Lickilicky.
  • OVERALL BULK: Nothing New. But nothing to ignore, none the less. 110/95/95 is VERY respectable. He won't be going down TOO quickly.
My overall idea of Lickilicky is that he definitely has an important role in this next gen with it looking like the metagame being so heavy on weather strategies. With the combination of his amazing move pool and Cloud Nine, Lickilicky definitely has what it takes to stop any weather abusing team.

Anti-weather Lickilicky. (special)
116 HP / 140 Atk / 252 SpA
Expert Belt/Life Orb
Cloud Nine

Flamethrower/Fireblast
Surf/Icebeam
Powerwhip
Thunderbolt/Return/Explosion

The idea of this set is easy. Come in during a weather effect, and blast away with whatever supereffective move you want to hit with. Sunny day teams will get blasted with flamethrower/fireblast for their grass types, or surf for their fire. Sandstorm gets hit by all 5 options of the first 3 moveslots. And of course, Raindance gets hit by either Powerwhip or Thunderbolt. You also have the option for Bolt Beam, but you lose your supereffective surf against fire.

Also, my preference on the last slot being thunderbolt is merely for the use of expert belt. Seeing as Lickilicky is quite slow, I feel that explosion may not be good if you're planning on countering weather overall. Return is a viable option merely for the stab, which is usually obligatory. I left the nature empty as it really depends on what the user wants. Id personally go with quiet.

CHEER UP

OFFENSIVE: 252 HP / 116 Atk / 140 SpA
DEFENSIVE: 252 HP/ 140 Def/ 116 SpD
Expert Belt/Life Orb/Leftovers
Cloud Nine

Cheer Up
Powerwhip/Return
Surf/Return
Flamethrower/Return

Item use is all up to the user. I feel that Expert belt or Leftovers is best here. Leftovers might be the better choice merely for the fact that it gives you a little recovery for the Cheer Up part of this set. The idea is simple. Come in on a weather and an attack that Lickilicky will laugh off due to his bulk, Cheer up, and attack with whatever move is necessary. Surf for sandstorm/sunny day. Flamethrower for sunnyday/sandstorm. Powerwhip for sandstorm/raindance. Return is a viable choice if you want to have stab.

Don Honchkrorleone said:
Brave Nature

~ Explosion
~ Earthquake
~ Fire Blast
~ Power Whip

Counters all the main weather changes: Abomasnow with Fire Blast, Tyranitar with Power Whip and Earthquake, Politoed with Power Whip, Ninetales with Earthquake and Hippowdon with Power Whip. Explosion is a last ditch move.
Don Honchkrorleone's build is a physical variation of a weather killing Lickilicky. Its attacks cover the weather initiators.

(credits to 2baka and Cheapoman for bringing this up.
ResTalk
Lickilicky@leftovers
Cloud Nine
Nature:Careful
252hp, 252 sp. def, 4 def

Rest
SleepTalk
Curse
Dragontail
This is actually a set I have thought about, and never got around to trying it out. A few players mention it on page 5 of this thread and I figured I would add it. I changed it from adament and 252 attack to a more specially defensive spread, so you can cover both sides of the defensive spectrum while cursing up. Awesome that Sleep Talk is an egg move so you can keep both Restalk+Cloud Nine. Anyways, obviously, the goal is to get some curses in, rest, and sleep talk to throw (no negative priority) dragon tails around, or curse up even higher. This is done best in combination with hazards.

WHY I CHOOSE EXPERT BELT OVER LIFE ORB/CHOICE ITEMS

I mainly choose expert belt over lifeorb for the fact that if I am going to be using Lickilicky to counter weather, I probably don't need to worry about dark/ghost/psychic/fighting as much as I would with the actual elemental types.

Why do I prefer expert belt over Choice is a completely different reason. If I am going to use fireblast on a venasaur on a sunny day team, I most DEFINITELY do not want to be stuck using fireblast as they switch to a heatran who has flashfire. That being said, a Choice Scarf is definitely viable on Lickilicky and makes up for his pathetic speed. Just gotta be careful.

Overall, I feel like Lickilicky will see much more play, seeing as he can take care of most of the weather types with his wide move pool and his ability cloud nine. Regrettably his speed is just so saddening, but his bulk should be sufficient to hold off the enemy to get a few kills in.

Any other suggestions on move sets? Any other comments? Discuss!

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Where are the Natures? Also, I liked the sets, but the ant-weather is kind of confusing. A better would be:

Brave Nature

~ Explosion
~ Earthquake
~ Fire Blast
~ Power Whip

Counters all the main weather changes: Abomasnow with Fire Blast, Tyranitar with Power Whip and Earthquake, Politoed with Power Whip, Ninetales with Earthquake and Hippowdon with Power Whip. Explosion is a last ditch move.

Good thread, anyway :)

Lickylicky has better defenses than Swanpert, which is good.I can see him be useful, and might actually be better than Snorlax.

@Don Honchkrorleone

Yeah, the natures I realized I forgot about and I kind of thumbed it in afterwords. I put quiet merely because both sets I posted were special based.

Surf for fire/ground/rock, Fireblast for steel/grass, Powerwhip for ground/rock/water. Each of these cover the weather abusers, as well as the weather initiators.

Your set is a physical variation of mine that I listed (I am adding it to the list), and is a good alternate if one wants to focus on physical.

hm...so basicly his only use is weather counter? well he does make for a good sweeper I suppose....if his new ability is easily obtained in the DW I may use him...I just need more info on how that dw works ;_;

From what I understand, you enter DW, you catch a pokemon in it, and it has the DW ability.

But yeah, he basically is just a weather counter.. Your other choices for Cloud Nine weather countering is Altaria, and Golduck. Golduck obviously being the fastest of the Cloud Nine users, and Altaria having access to dragon dance and being slightly bulky...

Lickilicky I feel is just the best choice as he is the bulkiest.

yes and seeing how he is normal type he suffers the fewest threats of the three. (aspecially if your faceing a weather team). Golduck wouldn't last long against a sunnyday team. and altaria would have trouble with rain dance (many water types get ice beam) and sandstorm teams (many of those have stone edge)

yes and seeing how he is normal type he suffers the fewest threats of the three. (aspecially if your faceing a weather team). Golduck wouldn't last long against a sunnyday team. and altaria would have trouble with rain dance (many water types get ice beam) and sandstorm teams (many of those have stone edge)
Add this defensive basis to his awesome movepool, and he can help teams who lack defense against weather.

After doing a series of damage calcs, the first set I listed (anti-weather lickilicky, specially based) can 2HKO each of the weather inducers with the appropriate move, and even 1 shot ninetails and politoad after a cheer up boost. After a +1 to attack and special attack, he can only do around 80% to Tyranitar and Hippowdon, but the fact he can 2 shot them even with out boosts is good enough (as long as he has expert belt).

Although Golduck can run encore and has a good 35 more base stats in speed, he just doesnt cut it as well as lickilicky. He doesnt have the type coverage beyond hidden power to handle all weather abusers. And, as said above, even though Altaria has decent bulk and speed, can can set up a dragon dance, it will get wasted by the common ice beam and stone edge.

Nice to see my favorite pokemon is getting some use. I might use the Anti Weather set to destroy weather leads, then bring in my own weather.

even though it is anitiually ment for weather breakin the cheer up set or anti weather set can make for great weakness abuseing sweepin

I don't know how I missed this getting Cloud Nine. I might have to try this out, seeing as weather teams seem like they're at least going to be a nice fad for a while. ^_^

I think the anti weather sets whould be specially defensive. Most elemental moves are well, elemental. Physical Power Whip is good as it is more power v tyranitar.

My idea here:
Cloud Nine
Gentle(spd-, spDef+)
evs 216 SpDef 40 Atk 252 HP
(Or something like that. Lickilicky doesn't need max hp imo)
Power Whip
Thunder
Return
Fire Blast

Good coverage, and nails stuff in all kinds of weather.

originally when I saw lickilicky I thought nothing much has changed, but the new ability changes all that with the likelyness of a weather filled metagame and the nich that it wont have too much of a problem against any weather team which might make it one of the major weather stoppers of this generation. Take that snorlax!

Power Whip > Sandstorm/Rain
Fire Blast > Sun
Blizzard > Hail
Thunder > Rain

Lickilicky, if I can't make a good mono-Isshu group, you're my sweeper.

I might have to use him as a last resort weather team pokemon just incase another weather team is messin up my weather team.

Lickilicky is a very underrated pokémon. Not only it is very bulky but it also has an awesome offensive movepool and ok attacks. I use Lickilicky as a counter to several common and strong pokémon (Power Whip for Swampert, Hammer Arm for Tyranitar, Flamethrower to Skarmory and Scizor, Thunderbolt for Skarmory and Gyarados, Ice Beam for dragons, etc etc) and it very very rarely fails on that. Cloud Nine will just make more obvious how good he is.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
No Cloud Nine set with Choice Scarf as an option? Son I am dissapoint.

To note: Jolly Lickilicky outspeeds Doryuuzu and needs only 303 Speed, or 192 Speed EVs placed onto it. Earthquake does 248 - 292 (68.70% - 80.89%) to 0 HP / 0 Def Doryuuzu. It at least allows you to run Return. Alternatively go all the way on Special Attack instead and Fire Blast does 259 Atk vs 166 Def & 361 HP (120 Base Power): 270 - 318 (74.79% - 88.09%). In other words: you likely won't KO Doryuuzu until it attacks twice and having Stealth Rock on the field. It's a pity really that it can't OHKO it on the spot, but at least it goes to show not everything is terrible about Cloud Nine...

...Man if only Lickilicky had a little more Speed in general. >_<

Lickilicky can also laugh at Shanderaa's face unless it decides to get smart and pack Hidden Power Fighting.

But... that's unlikely.

No Cloud Nine set with Choice Scarf as an option? Son I am dissapoint.

To note: Jolly Lickilicky outspeeds Doryuuzu and needs only 303 Speed, or 192 Speed EVs placed onto it. Earthquake does 248 - 292 (68.70% - 80.89%) to 0 HP / 0 Def Doryuuzu. It at least allows you to run Return. Alternatively go all the way on Special Attack instead and Fire Blast does 259 Atk vs 166 Def & 361 HP (120 Base Power): 270 - 318 (74.79% - 88.09%). In other words: you likely won't KO Doryuuzu until it attacks twice and having Stealth Rock on the field. It's a pity really that it can't OHKO it on the spot, but at least it goes to show not everything is terrible about Cloud Nine...

...Man if only Lickilicky had a little more Speed in general. >_<

I actually didnt put choice scarf on there for more than a slight recommendation because if youre using a fireblast on an enemy sunny day team, you don't wanna get shafted by fireblasting a switch in on an arcanine or a heatran.

im just wondering, would a physical version of the anti weather set be more viable?
lickilicky has 5 more base Atk then Spa, added to that everyone seems to be going mixed, you could put all EVs into Atk, and then the rest into bulk or speed, and also allows you to take any -Spa nature you want with no cost, he also learns swordsdance which would be better then cheerup.

something like

Anti-weather Lickilicky. (physical)
252 Atk/128 Def/128 Spd
Expert Belt/Life Orb/Leftovers
Cloud Nine
Adament

Earthquake
Return
Powerwhip
Swordsdance

Whip is supereffective against both sand streamers, both drizzlers, and groudon, as well as random water/rock/ground pokes that will be on rain and sand teams.
Earthquake hits the steels on sand teams, as well as ninetails.
Return just for powerful stab, while not fireblast for the sunny day grasses, should still hit fairly hard.

sorry, this is my 1st set, what do you think?

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hmm I was under the impression that Licklicky could learn Wish. Not sure if its compatible with Cloud Nine though but Wish seems to work well coming off Licklicky's base 110 HP stat.

Lickilicky will definitely see some use in UU now, especially with DroughtTales and DrizzleToad running rampant. Note that he can hit both for SE damage(with Power Whip and Surf). I think the Cheer Up set would be best.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
hmm I was under the impression that Licklicky could learn Wish. Not sure if its compatible with Cloud Nine though but Wish seems to work well coming off Licklicky's base 110 HP stat.
Lickilicky can learn Wish and Heal Bell as an egg move event from NY NPC, in 3rd Gen, (same thing (I think) as Chansey/Blissey). So, he can have both in the same set, but no other egg moves, (and I highly doubt he'd be able to have them with his Dream World ability).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)