Scolipede @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Swords Dance
- Megahorn
- Poison Jab
This set might not be particularly interesting, but scolipede can get off some free swords dances with protect. It can make use of all the speed it gets from speed boost to go first, since protect loses it's priority when linked with swords dance. This way you can get off a free swords dance at least every other turn.
"Moves not allowed in slot 1 or 2:
  • Protect, Detect, Spiky Shield, Baneful Bunker."

Scolipede @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Swords Dance
- Megahorn
- Poison Jab
This set might not be particularly interesting, but scolipede can get off some free swords dances with protect. It can make use of all the speed it gets from speed boost to go first, since protect loses it's priority when linked with swords dance. This way you can get off a free swords dance at least every other turn.
protect is banned:(

You know what's not banned? King's Shield. You know why it's not banned? Because Smeargle is useless.

Smeargle @ Razor Fang
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- King's Shield
- Shell Smash
- Fling
- Last Resort/Explosion

Similar to Wjll's Scolipede set, but even after two free shell smashes, it still has less attack than an unboosted Jolly Kartana. I suppose you could still try a support Smeargle set with King's Shield in the first slot, but it probably wouldn't be worth it.

Edit: forgot flinch items were banned.

Last edited:
Stuff that was good last gen, cause why not:

Landorus-Therian@Lefties/Something-idk-choice-items-don't-work
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 atk / 252 speed / 4 whatever
Jolly Nature
- Smack Down
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- filler

Smack down + EQ is a really potent combination, not only does it offer rock + ground coverage (though the 'rock' in this case is weaker), it also hits everything by virtue of smack down grouding flying mons. This is particularly effective against pokemon like Skarmory, where after being smacked down, they're susceptible to EQ.

More fun stuff:
Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz/Dragon Claw
- Dragon Claw/Flare Blitz
- Roost
It's a really simple set that greatly benefits from the ability to boost and attack in one turn. Flare Blitz + Dragon claw is just for STAB + tough claws really, those can be substituted for whatever. I distinctly remember this being incredibly annoying to face last gen, with only things like unaware clefable (bless) being able to deal with it.

Jolteon @ Light Clay
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
This looks like a pretty good set. You get to set up both reflect and light screen in one turn, so you don't have to waste turns or hp setting up both. They both last for eight turns with light clay, and you won't have to worry about getting out-sped too often with jolteon's base 130 speed stat. It also gets volt switch as a nice bonus. There might even be a better pokemon for this set, but jolteon seemed like a good fast option.

Hopefully this one isn't banned too, lol.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Jolteon @ Light Clay
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
This looks like a pretty good set. You get to set up both reflect and light screen in one turn, so you don't have to waste turns or hp setting up both. They both last for eight turns with light clay, and you won't have to worry about getting out-sped too often with jolteon's base 130 speed stat. It also gets volt switch as a nice bonus. There might even be a better pokemon for this set, but jolteon seemed like a good fast option.

I'd reckon that Tapu Koko does this role flat-out better, as it has a stronger Volt Switch, U-Turn, and Taunt. Electric Terrain is also a nice ability for other members of the team.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
You know what's not banned? King's Shield. You know why it's not banned? Because Smeargle is useless.

Smeargle @ Razor Fang
Adamant Nature
- King's Shield
- Shell Smash
- Fling
- Last Resort/Explosion

Similar to Wjll's Scolipede set, but even after two free shell smashes, it still has less attack than an unboosted Jolly Kartana. I suppose you could still try a support Smeargle set with King's Shield in the first slot, but it probably wouldn't be worth it.

Edit: forgot flinch items were banned.
Power Trip, Stored Power, and Flail or Reversal seem to work with the high base power.

Priority is based on the slower move, so if you are using King’s Shield with Shell Smash, you won’t make it. The 0 Priority will prevent it from happening if Smeargle doesn’t outspeed with its Speed stat (and if the foe doesn’t use priority).

Use a Prankster mon for Boosting with Fake-Out, this way Fake-out goes first to flinch at +1 Priority, then Shell Smash or whatever as the foe is Flinched. That’s the closest thing to a “safe set-up”, otherwise use Mimikyu.

Set Name: Ready Player Level 100!

Smeargle @ Salac Berry
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SDef
Hasty Nature
- Endure
- Feint
- Spore
- Endeavor

Turn 1- Survive with Endure, and/or break their Protect with Feint, (Endure now has only +2 Priority due to Feint). Feint is best because it bypasses Baneful Bunker, and Spiky Shield which hurt Smeargle at 1 HP.

Turn 2: Spore will status first against most foes due to your Salac Berry activating off Endure.

Turn 3: Endeavor on their Sleeping Pokémon, or as they switch it out.

Turn 4: If they stay in after Endeavor, either after switching in or while sleeping, use Endure and Feint to hit first and KO.

Wallah! Endure is what makes Feint work.

Last edited:

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
Jolteon @ Light Clay
Klefki gets dual screens and Prankster (which elevates both to +1 priority, therefore the whole link is improved), which might be more worthwhile. Koko does have the nicer offensive presence if that's what you're looking for.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Klefki gets dual screens and Prankster (which elevates both to +1 priority, therefore the whole link is improved), which might be more worthwhile. Koko does have the nicer offensive presence if that's what you're looking for.
Also, there is Alolan-Ninetails with Aurora Veil and Safeguard. So you can protect yourself from more moves.

I gotta say, it's a damn good thing that marshadow is ubers.
This set would be downright terrifying:
Marshadow @ Protective Pads
Jolly Nature
- Swagger
- Spectral Thief
- Close Combat
- Filler

confuse the opponent, and swords dance, and hit with a STAB 90 BP attack, all in one go, on any non-normal mon. For any normal mon, CC will make quick work of it. With a very solid base speed of 125, it outspeeds pretty much anything, and with protective pads, not even chip damage can stop it.

I'm almost sad that it's ubers, just because of how hilarious this set would be.

Last edited:
I gotta say, it's a damn good thing that marshadow is ubers.
This set would be downright terrifying:
Marshadow @ Protective Pads
Jolly Nature
- Swagger
- Spectral Thief
- Close Combat
- Filler

confuse the opponent, and swords dance, and hit with a STAB 90 BP attack, all in one go, on any non-normal mon. For any normal mon, CC will make quick work of it. With a very solid base speed of 125, it outspeeds pretty much anything, and with protective pads, not even chip damage can stop it.

I'm almost sad that it's ubers, just because of how hilarious this set would be.
You want hilarious? Imagine this guy with no sleep clause:

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Happiness: 0
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wake-Up Slap
- Spore
- Filler
- Filler

Make the opponent permanently sleep until they die, and gain HP in the process.
You could also use Jynx (Wake-Up Slap + Lovely Kiss + Mean Look) or Tangrowth (Wake-Up Slap + Sleep Powder + Block) to get around the sleep clause, but I doubt they're any good.

You want hilarious? Imagine this guy with no sleep clause:

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Wake-Up Slap
- Spore
- Filler
- Filler

Make the opponent permanently sleep until they die, and gain HP in the process.
You could also use Jynx (Wake-Up Slap + Lovely Kiss + Mean Look) or Tangrowth (Wake-Up Slap + Sleep Powder + Block) to get around the sleep clause, but I doubt they're any good.
I posted that set earlier but with spore before Wake-Up Slap, I still plan to use it in a meme team.

Here's another weird set:
Snorlax @ Snorlium Z
Ability: Thick Fat / Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Yawn
- Giga Impact
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Use yawn to pressure opponent to switch, then spam Giga Impact until a ghost/rock/steel type comes in.

I posted that set earlier but with spore before Wake-Up Slap, I still plan to use it in a meme team.

Here's another weird set:
Snorlax @ Snorlium Z
Ability: Thick Fat / Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Yawn
- Giga Impact
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Use yawn to pressure opponent to switch, then spam Giga Impact until a ghost/rock/steel type comes in.
Spore before Wake-Up Slap is useless - it effectively means your link is a single 140bp move in most circumstances, which is pretty bad. If Spore is second, then your opponent will always be asleep on their turn, which means they have to either switch out or do nothing while you beat them to death.

Spore before Wake-Up Slap is useless - it effectively means your link is a single 140bp move in most circumstances, which is pretty bad. If Spore is second, then your opponent will always be asleep on their turn, which means they have to either switch out or do nothing while you beat them to death.
Good point, I did not think it through very well. I was just thinking of getting the boost every time, but it works more if you sacrifice that first 140 BP.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
How do moves like Outrage and Petal Dance work?
"Moves like Thrash, if linked, lock you into the pair. A link such as Outrage and Iron Head will only allow the use of these moves when trapped. Note that this does appear a bit inconsistent with how Choice items behave and is liable to change during the coding process. "

Set Name: Ready Player Level 1!

Level 1:
Smeargle @ Salac Berry
Ability: Own Tempo
Adamant Nature
- Endure
- Feint
- Spore
- Endeavor

Turn 1- Survive with Endure, and/or break their Protect with Feint, (Endure now has only +2 Priority due to Feint). Feint is best because it bypasses Baneful Bunker, and Spiky Shield which hurt Smeargle at 1 HP.

Turn 2: Spore will status first against most foes due to your Salac Berry activating off Endure.

Turn 3: Endeavor on their Sleeping Pokémon, or as they switch it out.

Turn 4: If they stay in after Endeavor, either after switching in or while sleeping, use Endure and Feint to hit first and KO.

Wallah! Endure is what makes Feint work.
this set wont work because at level you will only have 10 speed at level 1 with +1 speed

however the endure idea could be interesting since it should still live if they have 2 attacking moves linked (it works against multihit moves)

Bibarel @ Salac Berry
Ability: Simple
Jolly Nature
- Endure
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Waterfall / Aqua Jet

if they do 75% or more you get +4 attack and +2 speed. Jet is if priority is common. with scarf breaking the link it will be probably uncommon so pair it with lele and i could see a couple sweeps

Oh, I didn't know that tapu koko got both reflect and light screen, and klefki sounds like the way to go. Both of them would definitely be better than jolteon.

Reactions: Ivy
Miss gen 6 talonflame? yeah, me neither, but....

BRAVE_BIRD.jpg

I never forgot what dad told me.
(am I the only one who hears that talonflame in Foghorn's voice?)

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz

I really don't know how well this one will work, but it sounds good on paper, it's just good ol' gen 6 talonflame w/ BB for dayz

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Miss gen 6 talonflame? yeah, me neither, but....

View attachment 108654

I never forgot what dad told me.
(am I the only one who hears that talonflame in Foghorn's voice?)

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz

I really don't know how well this one will work, but it sounds good on paper, it's just good ol' gen 6 talonflame w/ BB for dayz
Actually, this does raise a question: Gale Wings gives priority when at full HP. Brave Bird and Roost should both recieve the boost as long as it's at full health. However, it'll lose HP before using Roost, so will it be affected by Gale Wings? What will be the link's priority?

Speaking of getting to ridiculous attack stats and Roost links here's a fun one

Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Roost / Flame charge?
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake / Thunderpunch / Outrage / Dragon Claw

Belly drum is either suicide or an instant 6-0 depending on whether you can heal on the turn you use it, and zard X never uses it because it couldn't do that until now.

Speaking of getting to ridiculous attack stats and Roost links here's a fun one

Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Roost / Flame charge?
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake / Thunderpunch / Outrage / Dragon Claw

Belly drum is either suicide or an instant 6-0 depending on whether you can heal on the turn you use it, and zard X never uses it because it couldn't do that until now.
Looks pretty interesting though if using with roost, it will probably need webs support to make it so less mons are likely to ko it back. If using flame charge I'd say should probably consider reducing atk a little and potentially investing in more bulk

Victini @ [B]Choice Scarf [/B]/ Charcoal
Ability: Victory Star
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- U-turn
- Bolt Strike
- [B]Trick[/B] / filler

Sitting at the ever-mediocre 100 Speed tier, this is still a force to be reckoned with. This particular set is pretty dynamic. It can pull a mean Trick, giving the foe the Choice item and rendering their link useless. Without a Choice item of its own, it can then spam V-create and U-turn in tandem, which should be self-apparent in its usefulness.
Another important link worth noting is Fusion Bolt + Fusion Flare, as the latter doubles in power after the Bolt, making it effectively stronger than V-Create with none of the drawbacks.

[/hide]
If you get tricked a choice item right before you use your linked move, do you get locked into the first move in the link, or whichever you clicked? If you get locked into the first one, that would be problematic for those who use a stat boosting move in the first part of their link.

Actually, this does raise a question: Gale Wings gives priority when at full HP. Brave Bird and Roost should both recieve the boost as long as it's at full health. However, it'll lose HP before using Roost, so will it be affected by Gale Wings? What will be the link's priority?
In the dream scenario, BB has +1 priority, and roost has 0 priority. This could be useful - Imagine a slow talonflame set that aimed to roost at the very end of turn to maximize chances of having gale wings active for next turn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)