(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Something that bothered me a little is that Necrozma can fuse with Solgaleo and Lunala.

Kyurem fusing with Reshiram or Zekrom, that kinda makes sense since they were once Pokemon together. But how does Necrozma absorbing Solgaleo or Lunala specifically make sense? Why can it turn ultra when holding a Z-Crystal while being fused and not without it? Nothing in terms of lore explains it. Eternatus is responsable directly to Dynamax so you would expect it to be able to have a unique form of it's own. Also why does Coloress have 2 devices to fuse Necrozma and not just one that does both? It's very confusing. I honestly don't mind it ripping off Kyurem if it was well reasoned. It feels like the game designers thought it was cool and put it in the game without any thought.
Necrozma was going through light withdrawls and acts as a parasite in its fusion. The dex entries, and the Ultra Recon Squad too I think, state that Necrozma lost too much of its light all the time and constantly searches for sources of it; the merged forms also state that it's forcing them to produce all the light non-stop and that it's "Devouring" the light.

The reason it can turn Ultra only when attached is because the base form has too little light to work with. Where as once attached to solgaleo/lunala there's plenty of light that when combined with its specific z crystal it can (briefly) return to its full power.

Basically if there was another legend that could hypothetically produce the light it needs, it could probably parasite off that too (but wouldn't, because gamefreak probably doesn't want to bother making a bunch of forms any time they touch the concept again).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Kyurem fusing with Reshiram or Zekrom, that kinda makes sense since they were once Pokemon together. But how does Necrozma absorbing Solgaleo or Lunala specifically make sense? Why can it turn ultra when holding a Z-Crystal while being fused and not without it? Nothing in terms of lore explains it. Eternatus is responsable directly to Dynamax so you would expect it to be able to have a unique form of it's own. Also why does Coloress have 2 devices to fuse Necrozma and not just one that does both? It's very confusing. I honestly don't mind it ripping off Kyurem if it was well reasoned. It feels like the game designers thought it was cool and put it in the game without any thought.
Necrozma was going through light withdrawls and acts as a parasite in its fusion. The dex entries, and the Ultra Recon Squad too I think, state that Necrozma lost too much of its light all the time and constantly searches for sources of it; the merged forms also state that it's forcing them to produce all the light non-stop and that it's "Devouring" the light.

The reason it can turn Ultra only when attached is because the base form has too little light to work with. Where as once attached to solgaleo/lunala there's plenty of light that when combined with its specific z crystal it can (briefly) return to its full power.
Adding onto that, remember when you use a Z-Move the trainer is also giving their Pokemon some of their energy. Now I doubt the trainer has enough energy to transform Fused Necrozma into Ultra Necrozma, more likely it's the special bond energy which simply unlocks a way for Necrozma to use Lunala's/Solgaleo's light to temporarily turn into Ultra Necrozma (the only other time it was able to turn into Ultra Necrozma was when it was trapped on Megalo Tower, itself a tower giving off a lot of light so was probably feeding itself off that). Though that said, a thing to note is the animation for Necrozma's Z-Move shows the trainer giving Necrozma way more energy than with the other Z-Moves that the trainer then slumps down in exhaustion, so even though it's how special the energy is which is important and not the quantity it still requires A LOT of the special energy anyway (or Necrozma is taking more than it needs).

And I never understood myself why they separated Colress's Device in two. :blobshrug:

Basically if there was another legend that could hypothetically produce the light it needs, it could probably parasite off that too (but wouldn't, because gamefreak probably doesn't want to bother making a bunch of forms any time they touch the concept again).
As long as they don't make new "Light" Pokemon that are also Ultra Beasts I think it would be fine.

Because PMD is being brought up elsewhere:

Not a fan of later games not letting you change which mon you had shown running around town. Doesn't affect the actual core gameplay, but if I've done the last 50 missions with aggron, maybe its time mudkip retires from buying reviver seeds.

Not a fan of later games not letting you change which mon you had shown running around town. Doesn't affect the actual core gameplay, but if I've done the last 50 missions with aggron, maybe its time mudkip retires from buying reviver seeds.
Pretty much every game after OG RT
But yeah, it bugs me a lot. Explorer's it was unfortunately the side effect of splitting the dungeon crawling and OW into 2 engines, with OW lacking sleep anims for most mons. Not sure for Wiiware on why they didn't return, but Wiiware brought a lot of negative changes regardless

Probably because you are controlling yourself and they thought it was weird you could pretty much "disappear" after the story's over.

Not something I really care much about but they could give the option, or something.

I saw Pikachu on a Lucky Charms box today and I don't like how round Pikachu's head is in promotional artwork nowadays.
Roundheadchu

Yeah yeah, making Pikachu more humanoid makes it more marketable or whatever, but it doesn't even look like that in the games. It doesn't need to be a rotund, chubby boy like it was in ye olden days of Gen I, but contrast the above with the perfectly proportioned head of Super Smash Bros. Pikachu:
Perfectlyproportionedheadchu

Look at this practically box-shaped head, Pikachu actually looks like Pikachu! This post was brought to you by a cereal box.

Round-headed pikachu doesnt even seem like its done to make it more humanoid, but I agree it's always bugged me. It's just a little off and they've been using it for the better part of a decade. Maybe over a decade? A long time, it's unofortunate.
Since Dash*
The weirder part is Sugimori alternates between that design, and the FRLG redesign, while other artists pick up on the bobbleheaded design

Mat Block being usable in Sw/Sh, but the only if you transfer a Throh from gen 7.

Why not just keep it Throh's learnset instead of forcing me to transfer one from Sun and Moon? If its to prevent the move from being used in VGC, then I think it would have been better if they just got rid of it.
It makes me wonder if they intended Mat Block to be one of the unusable moves in Sword and Shield, but they simply forgot to make it the case, and since it's not exactly a relevant move, with only two Pokémon being able to learn it before Gen VIII and one of them being unavailable, they ended up not caring about the move at all.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
It makes me wonder if they intended Mat Block to be one of the unusable moves in Sword and Shield, but they simply forgot to make it the case, and since it's not exactly a relevant move, with only two Pokémon being able to learn it before Gen VIII and one of them being unavailable, they ended up not caring about the move at all.
Honestly nah, I doubt it was that deep. There've always been moves you couldn't get unless you transferred them from other games/earlier generations, either because they were signature moves or because no Pokemon available in that specific title could learn it.

Honestly nah, I doubt it was that deep. There've always been moves you couldn't get unless you transferred them from other games/earlier generations, either because they were signature moves or because no Pokemon available in that specific title could learn it.
Maybe, but they removed Mat Block from Throh's level up learnset even though it was available from the start.

Mat Block is probably left over from a point in time when Greninja was in the game as seen in that early beta, though who knows how long that lasted or why it's still there.
I doubt any usable moves were there accidentally since all unusable moves lack animation files in the base game, except Nature's Madness (which also got its Metronome flag removed from Gen 7 along with the other Alola legend signature moves).

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
While I like there is a difficulty setting in BW2 which are my favorite Mainline Games, I find it pretty dumb it's locked behind completing the game or another version.

Why would I want to play the game again on easy mode when I just beat it at normal setting? It makes no sense.
It was 100% to sell more copies (says the gullible moron who bought both versions).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Mat Block is probably left over from a point in time when Greninja was in the game as seen in that early beta, though who knows how long that lasted or why it's still there.
I doubt any usable moves were there accidentally since all unusable moves lack animation files in the base game, except Nature's Madness (which also got its Metronome flag removed from Gen 7 along with the other Alola legend signature moves).
Hm, I wonder if at some point maybe they were considering making Mat Block a TR? It's a useful move, a damage only Protect for both ally and partner. And with Dynamax's push for Double Battles (too bad the game only ever had the one Gym do Doubles, though I guess the Max Raids sort of made up for that) such a move would be useful especially to protect the Dynamaxed Pokemon. While the move's concept is very martial arts/ninjitsu (it's Japanese name is "Tatami Flip", referring to padded tatami floor panels used in dojos), it's also not too hard to imagine any strong Pokemon just being able to lift up a piece of the floor and use it as a shield.

The TM/TR list I could see being one of the things which was constantly changing throughout development and not finalized until the very end.

And why did they remove it from Throh's movepool? Maybe for the reason I stated. It was good enough to survive Movexit... but at the same time too good to see massive distribution. But it was one of the things which made Throh special, at least compared with Sawk which most players would be drawn too for being faster and hits harder.

Why would I want to play the game again on easy mode when I just beat it at normal setting? It makes no sense.
DreamPrince said there was a Nintendo interview with Masuda that said his thought, at least for the Easy Mode, was that once an older sibling was done playing the game he could then hand the game down to a younger sibling with Easy Mode unlocked... haven't gotten to my response to that atm but suffice it to say that's absolutely STUPID.

DreamPrince said there was a Nintendo interview with Masuda that said his thought, at least for the Easy Mode, was that once an older sibling was done playing the game he could then hand the game down to a younger sibling with Easy Mode unlocked... haven't gotten to my response to that atm but suffice it to say that's absolutely STUPID.
Just trying to imagine the parents buying two games that are basically the same for both children. Usually you would buy one system for both to play.

I mean it could work between friends and your cousins, but when you play with others, they already help each other out in terms of knowledge and tipps.
It feels counterproductive.

No matter how you slice it, it's dumb. Even if we say, the brother is employed, he could just trade you something basic like giving your starters powerful moves, share you items, trade evolve something or just give you an overpowered monster that would make it a cake walk even if it won't listen to you (it will certainly listen close to the end).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Just trying to imagine the parents buying two games that are basically the same for both children. Usually you would buy one system for both to play.

I mean it could work between friends and your cousins, but when you play with others, they already help each other out in terms of knowledge and tipps.
It feels counterproductive.

No matter how you slice it, it's dumb. Even if we say, the brother is employed, he could just trade you something basic like giving your starters powerful moves, share you items, trade evolve something or just give you an overpowered monster that would make it a cake walk even if it won't listen to you (it will certainly listen close to the end).
Here's my response, BTW, which honestly probably fits this thread better but since it was brought up in the BDSP thread it's over there... just so this post isn't any longer than it needs to be and for people who don't want to go to the BDSP thread I'll post what I said in a spoiler tag:

Now, let me be clear I'm not surprised Masuda thinks this (nd remember, he's leading development for BDSP!), though I'm surprised he was even thinking this way during Gen V (I was hoping that it was sometime after Gen V that Masuda started doing his strange decisions but I guess not, it was always there). But still, that doesn't stop it from being a STUPID decision. Gotta break my thoughts down into a list for this:

• Well first off, alright, this was the thinking for Easy Mode... what about Hard Mode? For the opposite scenario where the older brother played through the game first and gives it to the older brother?
  • So, the idea here is that the younger sibling has to wait for their older sibling to beat the game before they could even start playing there's? What if the younger sibling wants to play the game NOW? What if the siblings want to play at the same time, making their own teams and battling/trading with one another? And even if one gets done before the other, unlocks their Mode and swap Keys, we've come to the first major issue:
  • To use the keys you need to do so at the start of the game AND THERE'S ONLY ONE SAVE FILE! There's no switching the Modes on or off, your save file either has the key on from the start and no keys at all. So, say older sibling completes game first and unlocks East Mode key. Well, younger sibling wouldn't even want it cause they're in the middle of their game (and honestly probably realized they don't need an easy mode as normal is easy enough). Maybe, MAYBE they would be more willing to restart their file to play it on Hard Mode, but it would have to be for a playthrough they likely didn't put much effort (aka they only complete the main story and caught all the Legendaries that they traded over over to the other game; but this would require pre-planning which I don't think most people who just want to play Pokemon would do). If Easy Mode and Hard Mode both unlocked an additional save file, cool, infact THAT would have made replaying through the games on those mode totally worth it. But no, if you want to even play on these modes you have to delete your save file. It's not even a New Game+ thing where, though your progress is erased you get to keep your Pokemon, Items, & Money. Nope, complete deletion.
  • Also, while it's likely siblings would get both versions for trading exclusives purposes, if we're to take this scenario as what they were thinking than that would mean the older sibling would be "forced" to play White 2. Because, to add another layer of dumb to this, they made the modes VERSION EXCLUSIVES!

There is absolutely NO justifying both locking the difficulty settings behind game completion (and not having an additional save file for them separate from the main/Normal Mode save file) & making the settings version exclusives. Games with difficulty settings usually have easy, normal, and hard mode available from the start, when they have an additional difficulty setting unlocked from game completion its usually a super hard mode (and said games allow for multiple save files).

Here's my response, BTW, which honestly probably fits this thread better but since it was brought up in the BDSP thread it's over there... just so this post isn't any longer than it needs to be and for people who don't want to go to the BDSP thread I'll post what I said in a spoiler tag:

Now, let me be clear I'm not surprised Masuda thinks this (nd remember, he's leading development for BDSP!), though I'm surprised he was even thinking this way during Gen V (I was hoping that it was sometime after Gen V that Masuda started doing his strange decisions but I guess not, it was always there). But still, that doesn't stop it from being a STUPID decision. Gotta break my thoughts down into a list for this:

• Well first off, alright, this was the thinking for Easy Mode... what about Hard Mode? For the opposite scenario where the older brother played through the game first and gives it to the older brother?
  • So, the idea here is that the younger sibling has to wait for their older sibling to beat the game before they could even start playing there's? What if the younger sibling wants to play the game NOW? What if the siblings want to play at the same time, making their own teams and battling/trading with one another? And even if one gets done before the other, unlocks their Mode and swap Keys, we've come to the first major issue:
  • To use the keys you need to do so at the start of the game AND THERE'S ONLY ONE SAVE FILE! There's no switching the Modes on or off, your save file either has the key on from the start and no keys at all. So, say older sibling completes game first and unlocks East Mode key. Well, younger sibling wouldn't even want it cause they're in the middle of their game (and honestly probably realized they don't need an easy mode as normal is easy enough). Maybe, MAYBE they would be more willing to restart their file to play it on Hard Mode, but it would have to be for a playthrough they likely didn't put much effort (aka they only complete the main story and caught all the Legendaries that they traded over over to the other game; but this would require pre-planning which I don't think most people who just want to play Pokemon would do). If Easy Mode and Hard Mode both unlocked an additional save file, cool, infact THAT would have made replaying through the games on those mode totally worth it. But no, if you want to even play on these modes you have to delete your save file. It's not even a New Game+ thing where, though your progress is erased you get to keep your Pokemon, Items, & Money. Nope, complete deletion.
  • Also, while it's likely siblings would get both versions for trading exclusives purposes, if we're to take this scenario as what they were thinking than that would mean the older sibling would be "forced" to play White 2. Because, to add another layer of dumb to this, they made the modes VERSION EXCLUSIVES!

There is absolutely NO justifying both locking the difficulty settings behind game completion (and not having an additional save file for them separate from the main/Normal Mode save file) & making the settings version exclusives. Games with difficulty settings usually have easy, normal, and hard mode available from the start, when they have an additional difficulty setting unlocked from game completion its usually a super hard mode (and said games allow for multiple save files).
oh god, right. The keys were version exclusive too...

This is the tedious thing about most things Masuda gets involved or his reasoning, that isn't related to composing.
- version exclusive legendaries
- locking Gen 2 and 3 Pokemon to the end of the post game in FRLG
- limited regional Pokedex in DP
- forced on story mode in BW
- overly easy game experience
- too many cutscenes
- no Battle Frontier because Mobil Game stuff
- KANTO

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
- version exclusive legendaries
- locking Gen 2 and 3 Pokemon to the end of the post game in FRLG
- limited regional Pokedex in DP
- forced on story mode in BW
- overly easy game experience
- too many cutscenes
- no Battle Frontier because Mobil Game stuff
- KANTO
Hmm, some of this stuff I wouldn't blame Masuda for, at least directly.

Version Exclusive Legendaries: While they are annoying (believe me, I know, and now we have evolving ones with no way to get their prior forms!), I wouldn't blame them on Masuda or even consider them a bad thing. They do give the game their own identity, especially if they "do" something with the other Legendary making it clear why you can't just also have it. And with thme doing the Legendaries Hunts now, even if you don't get the other Legendary in its gen you'll likely get it next. And this isn't taking into account the Pokemon community where you can likely find someone willing to at least let you borrow their Legendary for dex completion or just give it to you since they're likely to restart their game to do a challenge playthrough. Honestly I consider Mythicals the bigger problem as those you usually got to wait for an event to get.

FRLG Gen Locking: If you're talking about actually preventing Pokemon with cross gen evolutions to evolve, yeah, that was REALLY stupid. Luckily they learned their lesson with HGSS and ORAS and never did that again... *tries not looking over at LGPE*

DP Regional Dex: Yeah, don't understand why they would make a batch of new evolutions and prevos for older Pokemon and then not even include them in the Regional Dex. Platinum fixes it thankfully.

Story in BW: What do you mean "forced"? BTW, I liked the story in BW (B2W2 was meh but if you take it as a package with BW it feels like an expansion pack for what you liked). I like my Pokemon games having story because it gives me a reason to be doing what I'm doing. The Pokemon World is ripe for interesting stories and world building that when they cut back on it like in XY and SwSh (or change it for the worse like in USUM) it feels like a let down.

Easy Game: Now, there's nothing wrong with an easy game experience... but GF in recent years has been particularly fierce with it that they're now crushing my hand with their hand-holding. The big crimes would be refusing to add difficulty modes and always-on Exp. Share. Worst, when criticized for it, instead of listening to players and considering re-thinking their decisions they instead deflect by giving odd suggestions that puts more work for the player than had GF simply do a small adjustment to the game.

Cutscenes: Cutscenes are fine when they're good, you're problem is with too many bad or "goes nowhere" cutscenes.

Battle Frontier =/= Mobile Game: I don't feel the two are connected like that. They don't want to do Battle Frontier because they feel not enough players use it to spend time and resources they could put elsewhere in the game for.

KANTO: Kanto pandering I feel is a problem with GF as a whole rather than Masuda himself. If it was just Masuda that was the problem I'd think instead of it being KANTO we'd all be screaming PSYDUCK!

Hmm, some of this stuff I wouldn't blame Masuda for, at least directly.

Version Exclusive Legendaries: While they are annoying (believe me, I know, and now we have evolving ones with no way to get their prior forms!), I wouldn't blame them on Masuda or even consider them a bad thing. They do give the game their own identity, especially if they "do" something with the other Legendary making it clear why you can't just also have it. And with thme doing the Legendaries Hunts now, even if you don't get the other Legendary in its gen you'll likely get it next. And this isn't taking into account the Pokemon community where you can likely find someone willing to at least let you borrow their Legendary for dex completion or just give it to you since they're likely to restart their game to do a challenge playthrough. Honestly I consider Mythicals the bigger problem as those you usually got to wait for an event to get.

FRLG Gen Locking: If you're talking about actually preventing Pokemon with cross gen evolutions to evolve, yeah, that was REALLY stupid. Luckily they learned their lesson with HGSS and ORAS and never did that again... *tries not looking over at LGPE*

DP Regional Dex: Yeah, don't understand why they would make a batch of new evolutions and prevos for older Pokemon and then not even include them in the Regional Dex. Platinum fixes it thankfully.

Story in BW: What do you mean "forced"? BTW, I liked the story in BW (B2W2 was meh but if you take it as a package with BW it feels like an expansion pack for what you liked). I like my Pokemon games having story because it gives me a reason to be doing what I'm doing. The Pokemon World is ripe for interesting stories and world building that when they cut back on it like in XY and SwSh (or change it for the worse like in USUM) it feels like a let down.

Easy Game: Now, there's nothing wrong with an easy game experience... but GF in recent years has been particularly fierce with it that they're now crushing my hand with their hand-holding. The big crimes would be refusing to add difficulty modes and always-on Exp. Share. Worst, when criticized for it, instead of listening to players and considering re-thinking their decisions they instead deflect by giving odd suggestions that puts more work for the player than had GF simply do a small adjustment to the game.

Cutscenes: Cutscenes are fine when they're good, you're problem is with too many bad or "goes nowhere" cutscenes.

Battle Frontier =/= Mobile Game: I don't feel the two are connected like that. They don't want to do Battle Frontier because they feel not enough players use it to spend time and resources they could put elsewhere in the game for.

KANTO: Kanto pandering I feel is a problem with GF as a whole rather than Masuda himself. If it was just Masuda that was the problem I'd think instead of it being KANTO we'd all be screaming PSYDUCK!
I didn't give my reasoning because I have repeated them a lot.

Myphical Pokemon were a problem since the start, and I won't pretend it's not a problem. 18 or more Pokemon you can't get through normal gameplay except for specific ones. I feel most of them should be demoted or the concept cut in general.

I feel the Story in BW while not "bad" restricts exploration given from prior games. There are very little places you can explore compared to prior Generation since the game forces you through a linear path.
There are exceptions like being able to go back after getting Surf and obtain Cobalion which is optional, but again, it isn't far inbetween.

Difficulty is obviously relative, but being able to play through without putting much though is not really helping it. The opposite is true as well when a game forces you to take up an unfair challenge like Ultra Necrozma. Nothing after beating that thing poses that much of a challenge either.

Battle Frontier was apparently removed because people don't have time since they can apparently there are many mobile games to play. Honestly both not being related shows the lack of understanding by Masuda.
ORAS was made for the fans first. Are these fans going to ignore the best post game of Gen 3?

Well, Let's Go didn't lock anything, cross gen evos literally aren't in the game, it's a bit different :psynervous:

Funny you say that, since Psyduck has been in every local dex from the start (bar Leaf Green) until Gen 8
Not even Pikachu had that luxury (it was missing in BW, while Psyduck could be bred from Golducks)
And with updates, it returned later Gen 8. The reason it isn't noted is because....it's not in our face

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Funny you say that, since Psyduck has been in every local dex from the start (bar Leaf Green) until Gen 8
Not even Pikachu had that luxury (it was missing in BW, while Psyduck could be bred from Golducks)
And with updates, it returned later Gen 8. The reason it isn't noted is because....it's not in our face
Also because while Psyduck is present in every generation so far, it also hasn't really gotten anything over the generations or any sort of special treatment like several other Gen 1 Pokemon have: it's been left completely untouched over the generations. No new cross-gen evo in Gen 2 or 4, no Mega Evolution in Gen 6, no signature Z-Move in Gen 7, no Gigantamax in Gen 8, and no regional form either in either Gen 7 or 8. No new forms at all either along the way. Not to mention no stat buffs either. It shows up every time, but it never gets any special treatment. It's always thrown into every game as it is with no sort of exciting new change to it at all. Psyduck and Golduck are, to this day, still the exact same Pokemon they were in Gen 1 with no changes or touches added to them at all.

They have the honor of being Gen 1 Pokemon that have never, ever been touched over the generations and have been completely left as is. When so many other Gen 1 Pokemon got flashy new evolutions, Megas, stat buffs, regional forms, Z-Moves, etc., Psyduck is less easy to notice when it's just more or less there in every game it's in. No special attention drawn to it: it's just Psyduck.

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
Also because while Psyduck is present in every generation so far, it also hasn't really gotten anything over the generations or any sort of special treatment like several other Gen 1 Pokemon have: it's been left completely untouched over the generations. No new cross-gen evo in Gen 2 or 4, no Mega Evolution in Gen 6, no signature Z-Move in Gen 7, no Gigantamax in Gen 8, and no regional form either in either Gen 7 or 8. No new forms at all either along the way. Not to mention no stat buffs either. It shows up every time, but it never gets any special treatment. It's always thrown into every game as it is with no sort of exciting new change to it at all. Psyduck and Golduck are, to this day, still the exact same Pokemon they were in Gen 1 with no changes or touches added to them at all.

They have the honor of being Gen 1 Pokemon that have never, ever been touched over the generations and have been completely left as is. When so many other Gen 1 Pokemon got flashy new evolutions, Megas, stat buffs, regional forms, Z-Moves, etc., Psyduck is less easy to notice when it's just more or less there in every game it's in. No special attention drawn to it: it's just Psyduck.
They're perfect as God Masuda made them. They don't need any changes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)