(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
Unless... it's exactly the other way around, and it's so that players don't get blindsided by a partial trapping move early in the game.
They do occasionally bust out early trapping moves though. Since it's on my mind now that I'm playing X, Viola's Vivillion has Infestation, though I can't think of any other examples off the top of my head.

On the other hand, Charizard is far bigger in pretty much every work (yes, including the games themselves when they are seen as Ride Pokemon).
At least in-game human character proportions are skewed by graphics and the fact you are a tiny pathetic kid (lol grow up idiot). Pokémon sizes seem to be made to be big but still feasible for a small child to interact with, so a lot of them are human adult-sized or smaller.

Also it makes me feel smug that I'm almost an entire feet bigger than zard

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Its still a million times better than having Marnie's brother being all about singing with no actual voiceover. His singing was a legitimate plot point, and they just played the generic Team Yell theme over it.

They should have just made it a guitar solo or something if they didn't want to get a voice actor to sing.
Yeah, this. If they had no plans for voice acting, why make a singing scene at all? Did someone really look through the storyboards and think "yeah, this is fine"?

Heck, there was a singing NPC in RSE, for chrissake. With primitive chirp sounds and everything. That worked fine enough, for its age.

My best guess is that they had planned for voice acting (hence this Piers scene and Chairman Rose talking at the beginning of the game), but had to drop it due to a schedule slip. Similar to the scene with roaming Dynamax Pokémon in the overworld, which was left in the game in one of the worst instances of "tell, don't show" I have ever seen.

Always kind of bugged me how the Pokedex doesn't start out as "complete". If, say, there's 200 Pokemon in the Pokedex, and the highest-numbered Pokemon you've caught is #173, then it stops at 173. Idk why. It's such a little peeve, but it's there.
I guess its to not tip you off on how many pokemon there really are? But as soon as you catch any pokemon late in dex you kinda get spoiled a bunch so lol

Alright, though I do also think we should consider application. User increasing their Accuracy is good on paper, but let's remember who these user's are: Staryu family, Chinchou family, Volbeat, Watchog, and Morelull family. Aside Staryu & Chinhous family getting more accurate Hydro Pump, Thunder, & Blizzard, Watchog getting more accurate Hypnosis & Iron Tail, & Morelull family getting more accurate Sleep Powder there's really nothing else they can work with, heck Volbeat doesn't get a major benefit at all (yes, Volbeat isn't a great example and, yes, they have plenty of 90% Accuracy moves like Thunder Wave, but all of them have movesets they work with that doesn't take them getting increased Accuracy into account).

Meanwhile, if its the opponent which gets their Accuracy decreased, that gives them a little more utility. While it helps them dodge their opponent's attack, it also helps their teammates whether from switching it out or in a Double Battle (heck, if they have it work like Intimidate and both opponents in a double battle get their Accuracy lowered that's even better). Or, it could force the opponent to switch out, also helpful in possibly clearing a threat for one of your other Pokemon you want to be out.

I guess there is the option of it also increasing an allies Accuracy in a Double Battle, but that'll mean you'd need to keep them out. No problem for Staryu and Morelull family, though I don't think too many would be too keen wanting to keep out a non-Drizzle Lanturn, Volbeat, and Watchog. Just look at Power Spot, great Ability but no one wants to use it because Stonjourner falls over from a Special moves, especially if its a weakness. At least if it decreased Accuracy you could then recall the Pokemon after it blinds the opponent.
I think an ability not having a ton of usage isn't that big of an issue so long as that ability goes from "no use" to "niche use"

See also: Starmie, the pokemon with 115 speed, has Analytic, the ability that powers up attacks when the user moves last. There's definitely more speedsters these days, and priority stuff, but let's face it this is pretty niche for a Pokemon built like Starmie.

Meanwhile passively lowering accuracy of other Pokemon is just....really obnoxious? Like let's put aside competitive play real quick: dealing with that in the game, either the wild, NPC trainers or god forbid the battle facilities would be terrible. And I'm pretty sure battle facilities still use Bright Powder; they don't need another arrow in their quiver!

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
I guess its to not tip you off on how many pokemon there really are? But as soon as you catch any pokemon late in dex you kinda get spoiled a bunch so lol
Yeah the Pokedex numberings really don't chime with that because the Pokemon are invariably not in the order you encounter them (not that they should be, but still). For instance in RBG, Brock's Onix is #95 while Misty's Starmie is #121, which opens most of the Pokedex up pretty early on; in Yellow you fight Eevee first of all, which is 133.

Though as I scan the dex listings it occurs to me that Hoenn actually does play this fairly straight, the order of the Pokemon is (with some exceptions) almost pretty much the order you'll see them.

Yeah the Pokedex numberings really don't chime with that because the Pokemon are invariably not in the order you encounter them (not that they should be, but still). For instance in RBG, Brock's Onix is #95 while Misty's Starmie is #121, which opens most of the Pokedex up pretty early on; in Yellow you fight Eevee first of all, which is 133.

Though as I scan the dex listings it occurs to me that Hoenn actually does play this fairly straight, the order of the Pokemon is (with some exceptions) almost pretty much the order you'll see them.
Most dexes from gen 3 to 7 do this. They started mostly arranging the order of Pokemon to the order you start seeing them. There's a few exceptions here & there within a dex (Platinum's dex is very comical because the new additions are just slapped to the end so you encounter like a swalbu and BAM. Now you're in the late 190s or more), but for hte most part if you ever got bored and wanted to rattle off the dex provided you have good location memory you can get at least 90% of the way there.

Gen 8's interesting because, thanks to the wild area, Pokemon are just all over the place again. You can still find some route connections but even within the wild area segments you have access to it's not really cut & dry.

Deleted User 465389

Banned deucer.
(sorry for interrupting the conversation, you can continue it)
1625752063547.jpeg

oh look, it’s a pretty cool card! I sure hope they don’t make other almost identical cards, but with different pokemon and types!

1625751849483.jpeg
..ok, the gx attack is cool, but the other attributes are the same. when i said a cool card, i didn’t mean make a water clone

1625751967611.jpeg
…….ok it has really good attributes for a basic, wonder where they got them from :blobthinking:

1625752102462.jpeg
:blobstop:

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Most dexes from gen 3 to 7 do this. They started mostly arranging the order of Pokemon to the order you start seeing them. There's a few exceptions here & there within a dex (Platinum's dex is very comical because the new additions are just slapped to the end so you encounter like a swalbu and BAM. Now you're in the late 190s or more), but for hte most part if you ever got bored and wanted to rattle off the dex provided you have good location memory you can get at least 90% of the way there.

Gen 8's interesting because, thanks to the wild area, Pokemon are just all over the place again. You can still find some route connections but even within the wild area segments you have access to it's not really cut & dry.
This is partly why Gen II's New Pokedex mode is one of the most interesting listings to me. You start out with the Pokemon you're likely to encounter early on (starters, Sentret family, Pidgey family, Hoothoot family, bugs, various other early things like Machop and Bellsprout). It's very broadly in order of encounters but in a very literal-minded way - for instance, Sudowoodo and Wobbuffet come before Scyther - well, Dark Cave is early on even if you can't explore all of it, and you do meet Sudowoodo before Scyther in Johto, you just can't battle it.

It groups Pokemon together by phenotype (there's lots of little runs of the same type all over the dex, like a long stretch of Water Pokemon starting at #161, for instance*) and pairs up all the cross-generational evolutions like Elekid/Electabuzz and Chansey/Blissey. Then it sweeps all the Pokemon that are less common or just plain not encounterable in Johto right to the back - Ponyta, Cubone, Rhyhorn, Kangaskhan, Murkrow, Houndour, Slugma, Misdreavus, Porygon, Chansey - with the rarest of all being right at the end: Snorlax, all the fossils, Kanto starters, legendaries, with Mewtwo and Mew behind Lugia and Ho-oh so as not to create an awkward gap.

It's a listing where you can tell there was probably a lot of thought put in and it shows.

*and Shuckle, which at least fits thematically given where it's encountered

Last edited:
This is partly why Gen II's New Pokedex mode is one of the most interesting listings to me. You start out with the Pokemon you're likely to encounter early on (starters, Sentret family, Pidgey family, Hoothoot family, bugs, various other early things like Machop and Bellsprout). It's very broadly in order of encounters but in a very literal-minded way - for instance, Sudowoodo and Wobbuffet come before Scyther - well, Dark Cave is early on even if you can't explore all of it, and you do meet Sudowoodo before Scyther in Johto, you just can't battle it.

It groups Pokemon together by phenotype (there's lots of little runs of the same type all over the dex, like a long stretch of Water Pokemon starting at #161, for instance*) and pairs up all the cross-generational evolutions like Elekid/Electabuzz and Chansey/Blissey. Then it sweeps all the Pokemon that are less common or just plain not encounterable in Johto right to the back - Ponyta, Cubone, Rhyhorn, Kangaskhan, Murkrow, Houndour, Slugma, Misdreavus, Porygon, Chansey - with the rarest of all being right at the end: Snorlax, all the fossils, Kanto starters, legendaries, with Mewtwo and Mew behind Lugia and Ho-oh so as not to create an awkward gap.

It's a listing where you can tell there was probably a lot put in and it shows.

*and Shuckle, which at least fits thematically given where it's encountered
Really the "new" pokedex order is probably the worst offender because you encounter trainers with kanto starters before even fighting whitney iirc and that means you're jumping ahead in the dex by well over 100 spots...

I really don’t like the difficulty modes in BW2. Now I don’t have a bone to pick with the modes themselves (though easy mode seems incredibly redundant). What I don’t like is the requirements. To unlock Challenge Mode, you have to specifically complete Black 2 and to unlock Easy Mode you have to complete White 2. This is a huge problem for the accessibility of these modes, as having them locked to one version is one of the dumbest decisions I’ve seen in a game.

The problem doesn’t stop here though. Because in every Pokémon game before this generation, there aren’t multiple save files (also one of the dumbest decisions I’ve seen in a game). The Challenge/Easy key data, which is what unlocks the difficulty, is wiped out due to the fact that you have to wiped all data from the game to start anew. Meaning you can’t beat the game, reset the data and then use whatever key you had to do a new easier/harder adventure. Which means that unless you have 2 DS/3DS’s AND two copies of these games, you’ll never be able to do a Challenge mode run. Like I mentioned before, Easy mode is redundant so if you have White 2 only like me, that sucks really bad because you can’t even do the post game in Challenge mode.

TL;DR: Screw the difficulty modes, due to the accessibility problems they are (imo) one of the most overrated things about BW2 (Don’t get it twisted though these are still great games).

The Mind Electric

What I mean is that due to how it’s implemented, I don’t see the positives of it.
I can't speak on how good the actual modes are because I've never played them, but it seems a little weird to condemn the modes themselves because of how they were implemented, especially because I've heard from a lot of people that Challenge Mode in particular is very good.

I thin kthe low key most nonsensical part of the whole key system was that unlocking it on another cart did not equal unlocking the key on that cart.

Instead you take your own key and use that to unlock the lock on another cart. But you're not making a copy of that key. So if you wanted to, say, experience Challenge Mode on Black 2 from the start you needed another person with Black 2 with the Key. A copy of White 2 can never, ever, unlock Challenge Mode (or the other Black 2 stuff) for anyone else because it's impossible for them to get the Keys for it.

Deleted User 465389

Banned deucer.
speaking of the key system, there’s something else about it that’s annoying,
so both games can get regirock, but it drops a version exclusive key that gives you access to regice/registeel.
“surely the intended way’s to transfer the titan I don’t have over, to get regigiga-“

nope
they expect you to get someone else to transfer their key over, and get your version of the other titan

because all the titans can technically be gotten in the same game, it’s just the way to get one of them’s version exclusive
w h y

Screw the developer who made it so Silver ambushes you in the Burned Tower in the original Pokemon Gold and Silver. No wonder Crystal and the remakes moved it so you could see him pre-fight.

Yes RBY's rival battles sometimes came out of nowhere too, but almost never as you enter a building. Okay, Barry in Platinum does it when you try to enter Pastoria Gym too, but still.

Similar: the sailor guy who ambushes you after falling down a hole in the Lighthouse, or the person who ambushes you down the first ladder in Dragon's Den. This isn't a romhack guys, stop it!

The Mind Electric

Yes RBY's rival battles sometimes came out of nowhere too, but almost never as you enter a building. Okay, Barry in Platinum does it when you try to enter Pastoria Gym too, but still.
Barry in particular is a fan of surprise battles. He jumps you as you're crossing the bridge in Canalave and when you go to challenge the E4. Gotta say, not a big fan.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)