(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Bets that the Evolution items/areas/methods for the Hisui and Galarian Pokemon will be in the SV DLC without accessible backporting (as in the Galarica stuff or Peat Blocks or whatever will be added to an Auction in the DLC area but not the Porto Marinada one)?
I'd like to think it's pretty likely, since there does seem to be some intent to do something with the septet in the DLC judging by the dex placeholders.

But they're clearly doing dumb things with this whole thing as it is so maybe they just never do. Buy Legends Arceus and the SWSH DLC, pleb.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to think it's pretty likely, since there does seem to be some intent to do something with the septet in the DLC judging by the dex placeholders.

But they're clearly doing dumb things with this whole thing as it is so maybe they just never do. Buy Legends Arceus and the SWSH DLC, pleb.
To be fair it probably goes both ways which is why they would have it in them to make the evolution methods available in the DLC, which comes out a year after base SV, while beforehand locking it out of the base game.

Spend that extra year keeping SwSh+DLC and PLA afloat so that people can buy them, and then a year later make them available in SV once they feel those two have had enough time in the spotlight. Especially since PLA only had less than a year in the market by the time SV arrived and I'm sure they wanted PLA to stay relevant in the market longer despite releasing SV, and this being one of the incentives (aside from PLA's unique gameplay) to keep it a compelling purchase for Holiday 2022.

In other words, it's a bit of both, of course combined with Game Freak being dumbasses with weird mindsets as usual.

I downloaded Go again because I wanted the roaming gimmighoul and the process to get this thing is so annoying and also was basically impossible for me without going far out

See, I assumed that the Postcard mechanicwas just like. You connect to Go, you can send a "postcard" with once per day that would grant the VIvillon associated with your region for a day, plus any coins you have, and maybe a few misc goodies.
What I didn't realize was that Postcards are actual items that you can only get by visiting (certain???) pokestops, or I assume by getting from other friends gifts.

Now stop me if you've heard this before: but all locations in Go are not created equal and needless to say I would have to drive a fair distance out to even see a Pokestop (and I'm not even sure I'd get a postcard out of it).

If I'm right you can at least get a postcard from a friend there's at least other avenues but I wound up just doing the significantly easier option of just finding a good trade on the GTS (enjoy your Aqua Tauros, rando).

Also gotta say Go's entire aesthetics is just...bad, especially when you see it on your actual phone and not just screenshots. But I really hate the sound effects & music. And gosh the lag as it tries to constantly communicate with other things...

Mex

The last ace in a lost hand
is a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Now stop me if you've heard this before: but all locations in Go are not created equal and needless to say I would have to drive a fair distance out to even see a Pokestop (and I'm not even sure I'd get a postcard out of it).

If I'm right you can at least get a postcard from a friend there's at least other avenues but I wound up just doing the significantly easier option of just finding a good trade on the GTS (enjoy your Aqua Tauros, rando).

Also gotta say Go's entire aesthetics is just...bad, especially when you see it on your actual phone and not just screenshots. But I really hate the sound effects & music. And gosh the lag as it tries to constantly communicate with other things...
Can confirm that friends gifts will give postcards, which is how you're meant to get the other vivillon forms that don't appear naturally in your region

Will also confirm that postcards (or gifts that will get you them) are guaranteed from spinning stops, as long as you're not at max capacity

The music is something most go players have permanently muted and never think again about, except for halloween where they change it to a decent enough Lavender Town theme at night. That's okay, i guess.

Can confirm that friends gifts will give postcards, which is how you're meant to get the other vivillon forms that don't appear naturally in your region

Will also confirm that postcards (or gifts that will get you them) are guaranteed from spinning stops, as long as you're not at max capacity

The music is something most go players have permanently muted and never think again about, except for halloween where they change it to a decent enough Lavender Town theme at night. That's okay, i guess.
Yeah to be fair about the music, it is something I also muted instantly because the rumble of when a pokemon was detected was significantly more useful (& im on a walk anyway, so) but whe ni had it on in the house while trying to set up the Go connection....bleh.

And nice to know about the postcards at least its not AS bad as it could be.

Even connecting GO to the Switch is a pain. It was very temperamental in let's go, and it has not improved with SV. I could not for the life of me get the connection to work and the only solutions I could find said you basically have to disconnect all bluetooth devices from the phone, which... I do not want to do. So I had to dig out an old phone just to get this gimmighoul. I wish it evolved into a different form of Gholdengo, even just something without the chest that moves some defense into speed or something. Alas.

Even connecting GO to the Switch is a pain. It was very temperamental in let's go, and it has not improved with SV. I could not for the life of me get the connection to work and the only solutions I could find said you basically have to disconnect all bluetooth devices from the phone, which... I do not want to do. So I had to dig out an old phone just to get this gimmighoul. I wish it evolved into a different form of Gholdengo, even just something without the chest that moves some defense into speed or something. Alas.
I'm hoenstly glad it didn't turn into something notable. It means that while it's a pain to get, you can just safely ignore it if you really don't want to mess with it.
And if you do its just a cute little bonus.

I mean i still hate the whole process, and ignored it, but nevertheless.

The way the box is handled in BDSP is obnoxious. It always defaults to placing it not in the box you are currently in, but the first open space of all boxes from top to bottom.

And you might say lol BDSP, ILCA does it again, and to that I slap you across the face with Legends Arceus which does the same thing!!!

Thankfully SV returned to the normal way the box works, but god. Any time I have to go back to those games for captures or eggs or whatever, its always having to take time to see which random spots they fell into instead of the perfectly good blank box I was already on.

About Dark Void: They could have made so it has 75% accuracy in singles, and 50% accuracy in doubles. That way, you have a 75% chance of making at least an opponent fall sleep no matter the mode, and Darkrai remains the owner of the second best sleep move no matter what.

About Dark Void: They could have made so it has 75% accuracy in singles, and 50% accuracy in doubles. That way, you have a 75% chance of making at least an opponent fall sleep no matter the mode, and Darkrai remains the owner of the second best sleep move no matter what.
I am quite sure currently there is no move that has "different behaviour in doubles" and they never wanted to introduce anything like it to not create confusion. So having a "different behaviour in doubles" was out of the question.

The only effect that's "doubles only" is spread moves having reduced damage afaik (is that even explained anywhere in the games?)

Plus, considering they seem like they are actually allowing mythical in competitive occasionally (mainly in the special modes on ranked, which are either irrelevant or very limited in relevance, but are a thing since gen 7), they likely intentionally double nerfed the move to attempt to not make Darkrai too frustrating in the few times it's available.

I am quite sure currently there is no move that has "different behaviour in doubles" and they never wanted to introduce anything like it to not create confusion. So having a "different behaviour in doubles" was out of the question.

The only effect that's "doubles only" is spread moves having reduced damage afaik (is that even explained anywhere in the games?)

Plus, considering they seem like they are actually allowing mythical in competitive occasionally (mainly in the special modes on ranked, which are either irrelevant or very limited in relevance, but are a thing since gen 7), they likely intentionally double nerfed the move to attempt to not make Darkrai too frustrating in the few times it's available.
I would think that an accuracy reduction for powerful spread status moves like Dark Void is a reasonable equivalent to a damage reduction for spread attacking moves.

I would think that an accuracy reduction for powerful spread status moves like Dark Void is a reasonable equivalent to a damage reduction for spread attacking moves.
They'd still need to actually crack open a "This works differently in doubles" vase of pandora which is likely something they want to steer away from.

I mean, I was thinking of precisely how spread moves work differently in doubles. A non damaging move having different accuracy in singles due to being a spread move is IMO on point.

Plus, it IS already a move that works differently, in that "only Darkrai can use it".

I think if Dark Void had different accuracy in doubles they probably could have gotten away with just saying it in the description

Though 9 generations in, it seems like something they just want to avoid for some reason. Feels like something they'd mess with at least once.

I think if Dark Void had different accuracy in doubles they probably could have gotten away with just saying it in the description

Though 9 generations in, it seems like something they just want to avoid for some reason. Feels like something they'd mess with at least once.
Dragon Darts does, and feels fairly intuitive.

(Or it'd be intuitive if GF every gave players a chance to try doubles before the postgame)

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I wish it evolved into a different form of Gholdengo, even just something without the chest that moves some defense into speed or something. Alas.
I don't think there would've been any way to make a different form of Gholdengo when the only actual lore difference between Roaming Gimmighoul and Chest Gimmighoul is that Roaming Gimmighoul is just the creature itself without a chest while Chest Gimmighoul is the creature living in a treasure chest of coins that it uses as cover and to gather coins in itself.

Gholdengo's entire thing is that the creature that Gimmighoul is essentially fused with the 1000 coins it gathered, including the one it carries on its back, and evolved into a new form made of gold. Gholdengo is literally a body of 1000 coins.

The only thing I could argue is that Roaming Form Gimmighoul that evolve into Gholdengo should have a minor aesthetic difference where they don't have a treasure chest wrapped around their waist, but there would be no feasible stat changes. The only notable thing denoting Chest Gimmighoul that evolve is that Gholdengo has the Gimmighoul chest attached to a waistband wrapped around its waist after it has outgrown it but still holding the chest dear to it, but Roaming Form Gimmighoul didn't have any treasure chest to live in before evolving so that aesthetic difference of those Gholdengo not having one would be sensible.

That said Gholdengo no matter what fundamentally holds the same lore and even the minor aesthetic difference wouldn't change its stats because its defenses come from it being made of gold and the treasure chest doesn't bog it down in any way like it did for Gimmighoul. Chest Gimmighoul was slower because Gimmighoul lives in the chest and the thing can barely move, but gives it protection, while Roaming Gimmighoul are mobile but individually are frail.

That said Gholdengo no matter what fundamentally holds the same lore and even the minor aesthetic difference wouldn't change its stats because its defenses come from it being made of gold and the treasure chest doesn't bog it down in any way like it did for Gimmighoul. Chest Gimmighoul was slower because Gimmighoul lives in the chest and the thing can barely move, but gives it protection, while Roaming Gimmighoul are mobile but individually are frail.
If being nitpicky I could argue that Gholdengo could, to a more minor extent, still reflect the difference between Roaming and Chest in terms of stats. something like 5 extra speed and losing 5 on a DEF or something. Gold is not a good protective Metal anyway, and the chest probably does add some weight.

That said I do kind of wish Gholdengo just had different forms: Roaming would make sense to me as the surfer dude we got, but the Chest could have maybe evolved to use it like armor or a backpack or something, reflecting the different habits they have according to lore (Chest manipulates people to gather coins and bring them to it while Roaming tries to gather them itself and uses those manipulative powers to scare people off).

I don't think there would've been any way to make a different form of Gholdengo when the only actual lore difference between Roaming Gimmighoul and Chest Gimmighoul is that Roaming Gimmighoul is just the creature itself without a chest while Chest Gimmighoul is the creature living in a treasure chest of coins that it uses as cover and to gather coins in itself.

Gholdengo's entire thing is that the creature that Gimmighoul is essentially fused with the 1000 coins it gathered, including the one it carries on its back, and evolved into a new form made of gold. Gholdengo is literally a body of 1000 coins.

The only thing I could argue is that Roaming Form Gimmighoul that evolve into Gholdengo should have a minor aesthetic difference where they don't have a treasure chest wrapped around their waist, but there would be no feasible stat changes. The only notable thing denoting Chest Gimmighoul that evolve is that Gholdengo has the Gimmighoul chest attached to a waistband wrapped around its waist after it has outgrown it but still holding the chest dear to it, but Roaming Form Gimmighoul didn't have any treasure chest to live in before evolving so that aesthetic difference of those Gholdengo not having one would be sensible.

I think not having a chest strapped to your waist is enough justification to add some speed, and since GF likes to keep overall BST the same between these kinds of form changes they'd have to take the increase out of some other stat. Defenses seem like the most natural choice.

But anyways, it didn't happen, so gimmighoul roaming remains a collector's item. (Maybe it has some use in Little Cup formats?)

Re: Dark Void. The real dark void nerf is that Darkrai hasn't been available in a traditional game since dexit! Hopefully it gets added to SV with the DLC...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 9)