(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

The way I have always seen it is that what SM describes is what happens when a Pokemon Mega Evolves in the wild or without the assistance of a bond between Trainer and Pokemon, and why Mega Evolution both cannot occur naturally in the wild and why even when a Pokemon Mega Evolves, it cannot stay in that form forever and will have to eventually revert back after a certain period of time.
My issue with this justification is that these entries aren't restricted to mental or emotional instability of the Mega Evolved Pokemon, they describe active Physical harm coming to them simply as a result of taking the form. I will share some below, excluding any that are touted as speculation such as Moon for Mega Aerodactyl. (Note that some species like Audino and Gardevoir lack Mega Evolution Dex entries, also the ones that involve the least drastic Physical morphing hm suspicious)

Gyarados
Ultra Sun: Mega Evolution places a burden on its body. The stress causes it to become all the more ferocious.

Heracross
Ultra Moon: A tremendous influx of energy builds it up, but when Mega Evolution ends, Heracross is bothered by terrible soreness in its muscles.

Houndoom
Ultra Sun: Its red claws and the tips of its tail are melting from high internal temperatures that are painful to Houndoom itself.

Tyranitar
Ultra Sun: Due to the colossal power poured into it, this Pokémon's back split right open. Its destructive instincts are the only thing keeping it moving.

Garchomp
Sun: Excess energy melted its arms and wings, transforming them into giant scythes.

Sableye
Ultra Sun: Bathed in the energy of Mega Evolution, the gemstone on its chest expands, rips through its skin, and falls out.

Sharpedo
Ultra Sun: The yellow patterns it bears are old scars. The energy from Mega Evolution runs through them, causing it sharp pain and suffering.

Glalie
Sun: The excess energy from Mega Evolution spilled over from its mouth, breaking its jaw. It spews endless blizzards.
Moon: It envelops prey in its mouth, freezing them instantly. But its jaw is dislocated, so it's unable to eat them.
Ultra Moon: The power of Mega Evolution was so strong that it smashed Glalie's jaw. Its inability to eat very well leaves Glalie irritated.

Salamence
Ultra Sun: The stress of its two proud wings becoming misshapen and stuck together because of strong energy makes it go on a rampage.

So Gen 7 is clearly running with this idea that regardless of controlling it, the act of Mega Evolution is supposed to be extremely stressful or painful to the Pokemon on a Physical level. Not to mention several entries reference the Mega Pokemon turning on its trainer, which doesn't inspire confidence these are exclusive to unbonded Pokemon

Gengar
Ultra Sun: It tries to take the lives of anyone and everyone. It will even try to curse the Trainer who is its master!

Banette
Ultra Sun: Extraordinary energy amplifies its cursing power to such an extent that it can't help but curse its own Trainer.

Salamence
Moon: Mega Evolution fuels its brutality, and it may even turn on the Trainer who raised it. It's been dubbed "the blood-soaked crescent."

I'm not a conspiracy theorist to the extent of "they made Mega Evolution a bad thing so people would like the new gimmick," but it's moreso an extension of my dislike for Alola's Pokedex entries, which read more like something from an edgy "what if Pokemon but things die?!" fanficition than just a more brutal take on Pokedex entries: compare Goodra or Drampa, which bring up their dangerous strength but also make a clear distinction that it happens when they're actively wronged, rather than just existing or doing something they encouraged barely 3 years prior.

The funniest thing with megas is you get all the Vicious Behaviors and such but then you also have goofy things like
Mega Pinsir: After Mega Evolution, it becomes able to fly. Perhaps because it's so happy, it rarely touches the ground.
Kangaskhan: Mega Kangaskhan's strength derives from the mother's happiness about her child's growth. Watching it grow up keeps her spirits high.
(all of Kangaskhan's are funny actually because even the "dour" ones are like "Mom worries about her growing up child")
Slowbro: Having been swallowed whole by Shellder, Slowbro now has an iron defense. It's pretty comfortable in there, too.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've probably mentioned this years ago, but it bears repeating.

Why did Dark Void's accuracy get nerfed. Darkrai, to my knowledge, has never been legal in any official competitive format, and Smeargle having access to the move via Sketch was always the issue. Plus Game Freak decided to hard code to the move to only be used by Darkrai anyway. So what was the point.

Why did Dark Void's accuracy get nerfed. Darkrai, to my knowledge, has never been legal in any official competitive format, and Smeargle having access to the move via Sketch was always the issue. Plus Game Freak decided to hard code to the move to only be used by Darkrai anyway. So what was the point.
Wouldn't surprise me if they originally just had the accuracy nerf, but then decided on the Sketch nerf, but then also decided to keep the Dark Void nerf because you could still bring Darkrai into Battle Spot and they deal with enough as is.

So I've started watching through the first season of the Pokemon show in search of a good take of the classic Team Rocket motto, and there's one shot in the intro that's just... gross and really bizarre.

During the "heart so true" section, there's a shot that whizzes past (in order) Charizard, Blastoise, Venusaur, Ash, and finally Pikachu. Which is fine... but then Pikachu runs under the legs of some random girl, who covers her skirt in embarrassment. Now, I know the reason why she's there, even if I really hate it: haha pikachu saw this girl's underwear isn't that sooo funny. But like... why did they decide to put her there in the first place? Who at *googles who made the Pokemon show* OLM looked at the intro and said "You know what this cool shot of the fully evolved starters and main protagonists needs? A girl who will exist solely for a perverted joke." And then when asked "Is this girl gonna be a character in the show or something? Is this gonna be like a running gag where every time she shows up someone sees her underwear?" responded with "Nah, she's only ever going to appear in this one shot of the intro for like a few frames at most." Like what the fuck, I know horny creeps are gonna creep hornily but why did you decide that this shot specifically would be the place to do it

Its also annoys me that GF balance patch is to "wait for next generation". Look at the Za dogs and Protean for example.
At the same time they also did nerf mid gen, such as nerfing the Ruinous Quartet stats (well actually its day-zero balance patch since it was before the game release).
If something is broken this gen, what stopping them to nerf it next patch and then address it? Or not address it at all and just show what's changed so the experienced player will understand why it was nerfed anyway.

So I've started watching through the first season of the Pokemon show in search of a good take of the classic Team Rocket motto, and there's one shot in the intro that's just... gross and really bizarre.

During the "heart so true" section, there's a shot that whizzes past (in order) Charizard, Blastoise, Venusaur, Ash, and finally Pikachu. Which is fine... but then Pikachu runs under the legs of some random girl, who covers her skirt in embarrassment. Now, I know the reason why she's there, even if I really hate it: haha pikachu saw this girl's underwear isn't that sooo funny. But like... why did they decide to put her there in the first place? Who at *googles who made the Pokemon show* OLM looked at the intro and said "You know what this cool shot of the fully evolved starters and main protagonists needs? A girl who will exist solely for a perverted joke." And then when asked "Is this girl gonna be a character in the show or something? Is this gonna be like a running gag where every time she shows up someone sees her underwear?" responded with "Nah, she's only ever going to appear in this one shot of the intro for like a few frames at most." Like what the fuck, I know horny creeps are gonna creep hornily but why did you decide that this shot specifically would be the place to do it
It's an orphaned reference to the original Japanese lyrics.

1686188465708.png

The lyrics right before were "I will find Pokemon wherever they are..." if I remember correctly, not that it makes the gag suddenly justified.

I think that specific shot is also a reference to another, famous (?) shot in some other anime opening. I remember seeing it and suddenly goign "oh! this explains everything". Did forget the actual anime, though.

As for why it's there, its because it was juvenile humor that you'll see in various cartoons and anime even to this day muchless in The 90S (TM).

If you've played any online raid in SV or SwSh, or honestly read any of the experiences from the raid threads, you will reconsider this statement.

While I will agree that "kids are smarter than this", you grossly overestimate the amount of effort and knowledge your average Pokemon player has.
Aww come on how bad could it be? I haven’t done that much raiding, but surely people know type matchups .

People will consistenly bring Miraidons to Ground raids and Koraidons to Ghost raids. And by consistently i mean it's basically guaranteed.
What you meant to say is "will bring Koraidon at steel tera raids that have Fairy as base type" and similar shenenigans.

Which is often where the issue boils down: most of the people I see in raids will generally blindly take a pokemon that counters the tera type... and forget about the base type of the pokemon.
I can condone not expecting a coverage move, but I am still traumatized by the above, or the guy who brought Garchomp to a tera-fire Glaceon raid...

What you meant to say is "will bring Koraidon at steel tera raids that have Fairy as base type" and similar shenenigans.

Which is often where the issue boils down: most of the people I see in raids will generally blindly take a pokemon that counters the tera type... and forget about the base type of the pokemon.
I can condone not expecting a coverage move, but I am still traumatized by the above, or the guy who brought Garchomp to a tera-fire Glaceon raid...
I see the flip of it as well: people bringing in a pokemon strong against the base type but nfe against the tera type

At least those ones aren't actively hurting the team by just... being oneshot over and over :blobpensive:

Not that doing basically no damage is actually "helping" either, but at least they are contributing somehow ._.
Honest to god with how strong some Raid attackers are for the Generic 5-6*'s, "not being oneshot" is more of a contribution than 90% of randos I play with anyway. I can literally win this alone with Bellibolt/Iron Hands/Espathra, just stop eating the timer!

Really? I never thought about running it, the Stored Power/Speed Boost set just feels a little gimmicky because the raid mon could just reset your boosts, and Opportunist is weird because of how turns work in raids.

Edit: Hands Espathra, btw.
Espathra is a mon I like in a similar vein to Acid Spray Pokemon, since it can Lumina Crash for Debuffs and Tera Charging (barring Dark types), Tera Blast if the target resists Lumina Crash, then has other options like Supporting with Screens, Roost for Healing, or more "defensive" debuffing with Feather Dance. Opportunist came up for some bosses like the Chesnaught Raid, legitimately never tried Stored Power.

It's versatile enough that I can pivot it between a Generic Solo-er and a Support mon, so I value the convenience, and having a decent Attack move that inflicts the SpD debuff (compared to Acid Spray) means it loses less momentum on Debuff wipes, while debuffing faster if used to keep ATK down with Feather Dance instead (compared to the slower pace of Chilling Water).

Espathra is a mon I like in a similar vein to Acid Spray Pokemon, since it can Lumina Crash for Debuffs and Tera Charging (barring Dark types), Tera Blast if the target resists Lumina Crash, then has other options like Supporting with Screens, Roost for Healing, or more "defensive" debuffing with Feather Dance. Opportunist came up for some bosses like the Chesnaught Raid, legitimately never tried Stored Power.
Opportunist is amazingly an ability that manages to be completely useless in competitive but insanely good for raids. Expecially the buff spammer ones.
Who needs calm mind when the boss buffs you instead

Ursaluna and Wyrdeer not being in SV natively. They could have just ported over the move / item to get them and things would've been fine. As is, they feel incomplete in the base game
And Kleavor; which are really ridiculous because they're just items. You can hand wave Wyrdeer (&, uh, Overqwil) in that "oh they have to use Agile/Strong and those aren't in the game! There's simply nothing we can do!" non-excuse way but its like. The option is right there for the other 2! There's full moons and everything for Ursaluna! I put Galarian Slowbro/king in the same pile; yo ucan't get their galrica items at all.

Meanwhile Stantler has this quirk: It can learn Psyshield Bash as an egg move...but only if it learns it through Mirror Herbing with a Stantler or Wyrdeer with the move from Legends Arceus. A completely purposeless inclusion when it cannot evolve.

Incidentally, all 3 learn their signature(ish) move when they evolve in SV. Which is also dumb but like Melmetal does the same thing so whatever I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 13)