(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

We all know that there are some big things that make us hate Nintendo. Un-realeased pokemon abilities for example. (Will Water Absorb Suicune ever be legal?) Or the fact that some countries never get the great Japanese events.

But what about the little things? Things that are almost not worth complaining about but still annoy you to hell and back? This is the place to rant about them discuss them in an educated manner.

To get you guys and gals started, here is a list of a list of my top 3 little annoying things in X and Y:

1. Male pokemon do not pass down their pokeball. Even with Ditto.
  • You want that Tyrogue/Rufflet/ any other 100% male in a pretty ball? Not in good old France Kalos. You'll have to learn to RNG/bug someone enough to RNG for you. So sorry, folks who wanted to use matching ball balls in the VGC this year. Forced ugly poke ball for you all.

2. Shiny-locked Yveltal/Xerneas ALL the damn Kalos legends

• This was just mean. Bad enough that Black/White 1/2 made it impossible to RNG/soft reset for a shiny Reshiram/Zekrom/Meloetta/Keldeo but as of Gen 6 Nintendo decided that fans don't deserve to have ANY shiny pentagon legends without events. But enjoy looking at the amazing shiny Zygarde hacked by PowerSaves users...

3. Withdraw/Deposit is STILL above Organise Boxes in the PC options
  • Be honest, when was the last you willingly wanted to Withdraw a pokemon? For me this was in Crystal. Yup, Gen 2, when it forced you to save every time you wanted to change box/move pokemon between boxes. And yet, as of Gen 6, I am still forced to waste 2 seconds scroll down to Organise Boxes.
  • Read the ORAS section

NEW MINI-HATES: ORAS EDITION (the trumpets are here)

1. Shiny legend locks STILL exist

• According to Game Freak, I can waste my time trying to get a shiny Suicune but not a sparkly Deoxys. All the mons that I can easily RNG from past gens? Shiny-able. A pokemon that can only be shiny from a long dead 3rd Gen ticket distribution? Have a shiny lock.
  • I guess I should also mention that the weather trio got the crap end of the shiny deal too...
2. The cutscenes.... just make them end

• So, you want a flawless pentagon Lati@s? Didn't get the Eon Ticket (A.K.A: win the lottery)? Then welcome to the world of Steven talking. And him talking some more. Ooooh, now would be a great time to give you the Mega Ring.
  • And sure, throw in a Team AquaMagma battle in there too.
  • Oh, you actually wanted to finish the game? Well, sorry buddy. You can't continue until after you have an eon to call your own. No matter how much the IVs suck.
3. Yay for Organise Boxes being on top.... not.

• You have to get all the way to Fallarbor to to even get this option. And Lanette's house is really easy to just skip- especially if you were like me and said: 'nah, screw the stupid doll'
  • I've spent 12 plus years playing pokemon and guess what, I got used to scrolling down to Organise Boxes. It was super annoying but it became a reflex.
  • So even now, I'm wasting precious seconds scrolling down... even when I don't need to.

So, what what little things make you want to go:

(Yes, it annoys me how much Pikachu is loved/hyped)

(Oh, and I'm sorry if this thread is against the rules/has already been done before. I did check, honest...)

Last edited:
That's such a nice thread you have there *cough cough* I wonder how I found it :'D

Anyways, there's one pretty common thing that kinda annoys me, which is the fact that you can't remove hats. I mean, it's clearly not impossible, if you look at your rival, so why can't you do it on your character? D:

That's such a nice thread you have there *cough cough* I wonder how I found it :'D

Anyways, there's one pretty common thing that kinda annoys me, which is the fact that you can't remove hats. I mean, it's clearly not impossible, if you look at your rival, so why can't you do it on your character? D:
Hmm, I think you just stumbled on it. Pure luck. ;)

The hat is actually a monster that got stuck on your head. If you remove it you die... :0

And the rival gets to do a lot of things he shouldn't. How come he/she always gets the starter that's super effective against yours?

• The EXP Share. I mean, I suppose its useful for training post game, but in game? Nah. Not only does it make the game too easy, but I also don't want my bibarel to gain levels. Its a HM slave, not a Cut/Strength/Rocksmash/Surf Sweeper.
  • Lumiose City. It's too goddamn big. I can't find anything there, and I have to pay to get around.
  • Mega-Stones. I'm not a big fan of mega-evolutions in the first place, but why must it be 8-11pm for me to get my mega-stones? Yeah I could just change the time, but I still, I just wannna play on my way to and from work, not at night when I could be doing other stuff.
  • The day care man. FFS turn around and give me an egg already.
I'm sure I can think of more (I'm a very irritable person) but that's just what I thought of off the top of my head.

• The EXP Share. I mean, I suppose its useful for training post game, but in game? Nah. Not only does it make the game too easy, but I also don't want my bibarel to gain levels. Its a HM slave, not a Cut/Strength/Rocksmash/Surf Sweeper.
  • Lumiose City. It's too goddamn big. I can't find anything there, and I have to pay to get around.
  • Mega-Stones. I'm not a big fan of mega-evolutions in the first place, but why must it be 8-11pm for me to get my mega-stones? Yeah I could just change the time, but I still, I just wannna play on my way to and from work, not at night when I could be doing other stuff.
  • The day care man. FFS turn around and give me an egg already.
I'm sure I can think of more (I'm a very irritable person) but that's just what I thought of off the top of my head.
  • The EXP Share is an abomination. I've actually lost count of the number of times I ended up having a few wrong EVs on pokemon because I forgot that my EXP Share was on. That's more Reset Bags down the drain... Still, we should fear the Lv 100 Cut Bibarel- if it had Moody, we'd all be dead.
  • You get used to the size (after you throw up the first couple of times from goign round and round in circles)- and it does makes Castelia look reasonable. (Minus those damned sewers)
  • Such a stupidly random time too. Half the little kids would be asleep... And that crystal monument thingy is pretty pointless too, it's like it exists for those idiots who can't even tell the time...
  • Just punch him and take ALL the eggs.
Speaking of the bloody Day Care- that deserves a whole thread to itself- why must my pokemon forget their egg moves? So that the Luvdisc population dwindles??

One little thing that annoys me is that when you sent our your Pokemon, you know how there's a different effect depending on the ball its in? Now the first time a Pokemon is sent out it won't show the effects of the ball, just a purple effect instead. I think this also applies in double battles too, except the second Pokemon sent out will always use the normal yellow Pokeball effect. (Hopefully this is understandable, I can't think of a word for the pokeball "effects.")

Another really small thing is the Luxury Ball effect. They changed it to being green\purple which seems really random to me. Not really a big deal, but I liked the old one better.

Last edited:
There is a third NPC inside the daycare center who tells us how egg moves can be inherited from males and females. Why the f isn't he an IV checker. Lol
'Cos Nintendo want you to Fly.

Remember, your Talonflame has feelings. It needs to spread its wings once in a while, not just use its body to hatch your eggs! :/

Plus, that NPC is actually saying something important (for once). Only males could pass down egg moves last gen <sexist Nintendo>

Last edited:
The bag.
Now don't get me wrong, it's fucking miles ahead of the likes of Hoenn's and Sinnoh's. But BW/2 organized it so much better, putting different categories of items - Hold Items, Evolution items, Poké Balls etc. in different sections to each other and alphabetically listing them. This was very convenient and I could very easily find the items I wanted. XY's bag... is a mess. While they are organized into different sections, there's no little 'hold item' symbol to tell me which is which, there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to how items in the same category are listed, and it's much more annoying to scroll through and find the item I want. And why oh why don't Mega Stones and Poké Balls have their own separate bag slot?
It's just pretty irritating to me. The other sections of the bag are fine, but... my god the main item bag. Too many things are shoved in there and it's too annoying to sift through.

lol this is what I do:
-Talk to the taxi/cab guy
-Pick the location I want to go to
-He's going to say the name of the avenue we'll go to
-Cancel everything
-Ride your bike
-???
-PROFIT!(not really, but you don't pay anything:D)
This was how it was for me at first:

"Ahh, Crappy Shop-that awful shop where they sell stuff no-one needs. On Estvial Avenue, right?"
Crap, is Estvial North B or South B? Second exit or third?? Eh, screw it.
"Thank you for using Lumi cabs. That would be 2,000 poke"

The sad part is if you just wander around it enough, you'll just figure it out by itself. Besides, why pay to go to places when that one lady in the news building just teleports you to the street you want for free and adds more style than taxi cab rides
I wish you could just tell your damn Abra exactly where to Teleport. But it turns that pokemon are dumb...

I want to remove my hat!
Also, after Wonder Trading enough times, I really wish there was an option to just dump a whole box at a time.
I'm still also frustrated about HM moves. I really wish they would just give you items instead of having to take up one of your Pokemon's slots. I've seen fangames that handle the whole thing better than Game Freak.
And why can't I delete HM moves either without a the deleter? What? Do they think I'm going to toss the HM so I can't reteach it or something?

I'm still also frustrated about HM moves. I really wish they would just give you items instead of having to take up one of your Pokemon's slots. I've seen fangames that handle the whole thing better than Game Freak.
And why can't I delete HM moves either without a the deleter? What? Do they think I'm going to toss the HM so I can't reteach it or something?
That is the reason Bibarel exists. But that takes up a teamslot that could be used for a good Pokémon. HMs are a really badly designed mechanic, their only purpose is to make sure that you beat gyms and complete pointless subquests.

Litra

Desire Sensor's favorite plaything
is an Artist Alumnus
Given I am mostly satisfied with X/Y, I can't say I have many, but there are a few that come to mind.

1. Only having one hour a day to hunt down the mega stones, and a strange hour at that.

At first, I was alright with this feature since 8-9pm was when I was still up and had plenty of time to hunt in X. Unfortunately, I could not say the same in Y when I had a night shift job at the time and realized that having one hour a day to try stone hunting can be unreasonable for the players who have certain work schedule that conflict with this. They could have had the stones act up every x hours so we can hunt at own leisure but no. They wanted to involve that sundial in somehow.

2. Lumiose City: The middle finger to those lacking a sense of direction.

I may have a lousy sense of direction, but Lumiose City took it to a new level given I needed a whole month to figure out where to go and I still sometimes struggle to find that damn restaurant I use. I cannot use the centre of the city since i can only tell my direction via inside the gym. Still using a guide every time I go there depending on where I am heading to to this day, sadly.

3. The bag's lack of a "free space" feature.

As Kurona said, B2W2 organized it better. Really, why did they remove the "free space" slot? I would have had a much better time sorting my mega stones, repels, restaurant rewards, and other utilities there instead of having to go through the hell to see if the item I am looking for was placed correctly.

4. Requiring an actual female Pokemon to pass on Poke Ball designs.

If a male Pokemon and Ditto breed, the product should at least inherit Ditto's ball instead of being sorted into a regular one. It's rather irritating to me that a lot of mons won't be able to be in the designed poke balls I want (like certain starter Pokemon from previous gens) because of this quirk. I honestly pray for this tiny addition for when OR/AS comes out since I had a lot of

It's basically a precaution so you don't 'trap' yourself. Like say you used Surf in FRLG to get to Cinnabar Island, then you deleted Surf and ended up releasing everything that can learn Fly or Surf. And you had no money or Poké Balls to catch more. It's really weird but it's just precaution; I do honestly still wish HMs were Key Items instead. Would make things so much better - or, heck, have them as inherent 'skills' the Pokémon can have separate from Moves, it wouldn't show up in battle or take up a moveslot or anything but then, say, your Snorlax could always move boulders, smash rocks and then ferry you over water. And you have these few weird TMs or tutors in-game that can teach your Pokémon Surf and Waterfall since those are pretty brilliant moves.

The bag.
Now don't get me wrong, it's fucking miles ahead of the likes of Hoenn's and Sinnoh's. But BW/2 organized it so much better, putting different categories of items - Hold Items, Evolution items, Poké Balls etc. in different sections to each other and alphabetically listing them. This was very convenient and I could very easily find the items I wanted. XY's bag... is a mess. While they are organized into different sections, there's no little 'hold item' symbol to tell me which is which, there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to how items in the same category are listed, and it's much more annoying to scroll through and find the item I want. And why oh why don't Mega Stones and Poké Balls have their own separate bag slot?
It's just pretty irritating to me. The other sections of the bag are fine, but... my god the main item bag. Too many things are shoved in there and it's too annoying to sift through.
The item bag is a disaster. Too many item types in one compartment... Too much scrolling. The fact that the bag doesn't auto-sort when something is deposited into it is also annoying.

Speaking of the bloody Day Care- that deserves a whole thread to itself- why must my pokemon forget their egg moves? So that the Luvdisc population dwindles??
Breeding does deserve it's own thread. "Flashback" GODDAMNIT PICHU I SWEAR TO ARCEUS I WILL MEGA PUNCH YOU IF YOU DONT EVOLVE IN THE NEXT 5 SECONDS
Whoops, that was Happiness based evolutions/Baby Pokemon. Still, the fact they can't breed and attempting to get a decent natured one... (yeah let's just say that I got really lucky.)
Also, be like me, get them off the Global Link :P (I have like 90 stocks up as of now)
Other things that annoy me:

• Le Wow: not the place itself because it's good for grinding, just the fact it will never get anything to level 50 without at least 2 trips and some Rare Candies.
  • Daycare guy not giving me eggs: self explanatory, but even with the Oval Stone (that thing you get by completing the Kalos Dex) can sometimes screw me over. Godamn luck.
  • Battle Maison: do I even?
  • Battle Spot: okay, breaking the rules a bit, but WHY IS THERE NO 6V6 OPTION ON BATTLE SPOT. You do not know how many times I have lost due to me bringing the wrong Pokemon, when I had a perfectly good counter in my box.
  • Getting a bad IV shiny. The rage, the paiiiin ;-;
  • Wonder Trade. So much shit, so little time.
  • The E4/Champion. Easy, forgetful, boring. Champion music was decent.
  • Pokeradar chaining: so many things can go wrong :/
Okay, that's enough (FOR NOW)

Breeding does deserve it's own thread. "Flashback" GODDAMNIT PICHU I SWEAR TO ARCEUS I WILL MEGA PUNCH YOU IF YOU DONT EVOLVE IN THE NEXT 5 SECONDS
Whoops, that was Happiness based evolutions/Baby Pokemon. Still, the fact they can't breed and attempting to get a decent natured one... (yeah let's just say that I got really lucky.)
Also, be like me, get them off the Global Link :P (I have like 90 stocks up as of now)
Other things that annoy me:

• Le Wow: not the place itself because it's good for grinding, just the fact it will never get anything to level 50 without at least 2 trips and some Rare Candies.
  • Daycare guy not giving me eggs: self explanatory, but even with the Oval Stone (that thing you get by completing the Kalos Dex) can sometimes screw me over. Godamn luck.
  • Battle Maison: do I even?
  • Battle Spot: okay, breaking the rules a bit, but WHY IS THERE NO 6V6 OPTION ON BATTLE SPOT. You do not know how many times I have lost due to me bringing the wrong Pokemon, when I had a perfectly good counter in my box.
  • Getting a bad IV shiny. The rage, the paiiiin ;-;
  • Wonder Trade. So much shit, so little time.
  • The E4/Champion. Easy, forgetful, boring. Champion music was decent.
  • Pokeradar chaining: so many things can go wrong :/
Okay, that's enough (FOR NOW)
Use Mega Kick on that Pichu. Does more damage! ;)

And you will never know true pain unless you breed a Self-Destruct Munchlax.

-Baby? Check.
-Happiness evo that takes years? Check.
-No Everstone breeding needed? Bloody check. Hardy is the new Adamant folks
-12.5% Female? YES.

By the end you are ready to Self Destruct yourself.

(But I hatched a Heavy Ball Brave one. Shiny. Perfect IVs. No SV hatching. I cried.)

It's basically a precaution so you don't 'trap' yourself. Like say you used Surf in FRLG to get to Cinnabar Island, then you deleted Surf and ended up releasing everything that can learn Fly or Surf. And you had no money or Poké Balls to catch more. It's really weird but it's just precaution; I do honestly still wish HMs were Key Items instead. Would make things so much better - or, heck, have them as inherent 'skills' the Pokémon can have separate from Moves, it wouldn't show up in battle or take up a moveslot or anything but then, say, your Snorlax could always move boulders, smash rocks and then ferry you over water. And you have these few weird TMs or tutors in-game that can teach your Pokémon Surf and Waterfall since those are pretty brilliant moves.
By this logic, you could go to Cinnabar and release the Pokemon while it has surf still on it. IIRC the game stops you from doing that, however. They could just stop you from releasing all your pokemon which can learn surf, however, or they could just stop you from deleting the move surf if you don't have any other pokemon with the move surf.
--
Also, yes to wonder trading and egg animations. I wonder trade a lot and I wish I could just bulk wondertrade, it would be so much easier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 9, Guests: 9)