(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I don’t know if this is been said but I really dislike having super effective moves that do little damage or non effective moves that nearly or completely destroy your Pokemon...
That scenario really should only happen if the disadvantage Pokemon is at a significantly higher level than the advantage Pokemon (or I guess there's a certain stat setup (like a Gastly against a Mega Heracross's Pin Missile or a Weedle against a Mega Mewtwo X's Focus Blast), stat boosts/nerfs, etc.).

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Watching the same switch in/switch out animation 50 times is definitely the most fun a spectator can hope.

Best two hours of my life, only eight battles left before day 2 of the tournament.

Galarian Slowpoke seriously sucks ass. I thought the devs would give this mon some cool moves or a unique typing to hype up the expansions pass, but all they did was take away its base form's Water-type and copy and paste its movepool. At least it looks cool, but I expected more.

Wouldn't it have been more efficient to just call up the Lillie model instead of hiding a model of her on every map in the Gen VII games that has a cutscene with her? Same with the Gentlemen & Maid hidden in every Pokemon Center for the ORAS event with them for Diancie. Wouldn't it make sense for them to make a program that upscale a Pokemon's model and smooth out the texture instead of creating a model for every Dyanamax Pokemon?

GF's programming style is forceful, especially when it comes to models. Instead of using tricks many programmers use to make cleaner code (and may ultimately save them time), they just either place the model where they think they'll need it or create another of the model if any change was done to it so they wouldn't have to mess with how its rendered. And while admittedly for something like the cutscene characters being on the map is trivial as loading them in is no more of a hassle, something like having different models instead of just manipulating the one model is possibly now showing its effect on the games if that was a deciding factor in Dexit (with either the Dynamax models taking up more space than GF realized (and them not liking to compress their code either) and/or them not wanting to create an individual Dynamax model for every Pokemon nor create & test a program that does it for them).

This also made me come up to a sad realization that one of the great achievements Iwata is credited for, compressing Kanto in Gen II so that GF was able to put it into the games, wasn't as impressive as one may have thought because it's seeming more likely GF didn't compress anything. Iwata was still a great programmer for all his other feats (like coding in the Type Chart into Stadium without a source code to go off from), but this might be more of an instance where it was just GF's own programming incompetence of not doing something as obvious as compressing their code which may have made them cut one of the elements that made Gen II very memorable had Iwata not stepped in.

After some basic Google searching didn't find any articles online going into more detail. I found one Youtube video that explains a bit more but that's about it:
While it doesn't explain how the color is chosen, it does explain that from Gen I-V the Shiny Pokemon was made by taking the entire color palette of the sprite and adjusting all the colors at once; even if its a slight change in hue or saturation no Shiny Pokemon shared a same color with its normal counterpart (except maybe pure black or pure white).

However there is evidence that GF still didn't handpick the color palette but was simply letting the game choose the next color palette in the code. Many Pokemon who share similar colors have their Shinies also share similar colors (like how many blue Water-type Pokemon have a purple-pink Shiny or orange Pokemon's Shiny are yellowish). Also, if the shiny Pokemon were handmade, why do so many only slightly change in color? If you were making a Shiny wouldn't you pick a color that's strikingly different from the original?

Infact, the video above implies they stopped doing it not because they suddenly decided to make more interesting looking Shinies but because model textures work differently from sprite color palettes (and that GF didn't want to palette swap textures but instead make a whole different model); had we kept with sprites they may have kept this old way of doing Shinies!
Funny thing is, Stadium 1/2 had a readily accessible pallete to change the color of the model. In fact they boasted it off with the Nickname mechanic changing the Pokemon's color, unless it was Shiny

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Nintendo's focus on double battles competitively despite most players preferring single battles. I think VGC is kind of a mess and not that fun to watch compared to singles.
The VGC was to do with its rulesets, as in which is allowed and what isn't allowed. The fact they don't go out of their way to flat out ban blatantly overpowered Pokémon and not allowing 670+ Legendaries, as well as blatantly overpowered Megas (back in Gen 6), is what make VGC stale so quickly.

To participate in this thread, here's one detail that annoys me a lot. Wigglytuff's 435 BST (thus weak Defenses and not so good Attacking stats), despite being a Stone Evolution. "But Sam, isn't Jigglypuff early route?"

Yes, but it and Igglybuff are also rare (aside of X & Y where Jigglypuff is just uncommon). Do you really think anyone except those who love Jigglypuff and/or Wigglytuff to actually use them despite their lack of actual long-term usefulness, the requirement of Moon Stone compared to other early route mons' just needing Leveling up, and rarer than than the likes of Ratatta and Patrat whose evo's BST is barely lower than Wigglytuff? I don't think so.

TL:DR Wigglytuff's weak stats except HP despite Jigglypuff's rarity and requirement of a Moon Stone is exceptionally ridiculous, early route or not.

Last edited:
The VGC was to do with its rulesets, as in which is allowed and what isn't allowed. The fact they don't go out of their way to flat out ban blatantly overpowered Pokémon and not allowing 670+ Legendaries, as well as blatantly overpowered Megas (back in Gen 6), is what make VGC stale so quickly.

To participate in this thread, here's one detail that annoys me a lot. Wigglytuff's 435 BST (thus weak Defenses and not so good Attacking stats), despite being a Stone Evolution. "But Sam, isn't Jigglypuff early route?"

Yes, but it and Igglybuff are also rare (aside of X & Y where Jigglypuff is just uncommon). Do you really think anyone except those who love Jigglypuff and/or Wigglytuff to actually use them despite their lack of actual long-term usefulness, the requirement of Moon Stone compared to other early route mons' just needing Leveling up, and rarer than than the likes of Ratatta and Patrat whose evo's BST is barely lower than Wigglytuff? I don't think so.

TL:DR Wigglytuff's weak stats except HP despite Jigglypuff's rarity and requirement of a Moon Stone is exceptionally ridiculous, early route or not.
Wigglytuff is pretty bad on that front yeah, especically when you consider its immediate direct competition of Clefable. Gen 6 kind of sort of tried to give it a niche, i guess, Normal/Fairy is relatively interesting as a typing and it got an actual stab to use things with and a (meager, true) +10 special attack in gen 6.
Still not great, though. AT least be on par with Clefable in terms of BST, I say.Or maybe give it some crazier moves. What if it got Boomburst

And yet it may as well be an arcanine compared to Delcatty. Delcatty only has 400 BST and by that I mean it was 380 until Sun & Moon.
380. For a stone evolution. On a (rare!) pure normal type. Its biggest addition (beyond the ~*+20*~ in gen 7) has been Normalize, an abilitiy entirely unique to it & Skitty that is worse than the later -ate abilities by just making everything normal. Its biggest claim to fame is normal type thunder wave.
I have been begging for one of its abilities to be swapped out for Fur Coat because at least then it has something going for it even if it would still suck in comparison to Furfrou & Persina-A

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Wigglytuff is pretty bad on that front yeah, especically when you consider its immediate direct competition of Clefable. Gen 6 kind of sort of tried to give it a niche, i guess, Normal/Fairy is relatively interesting as a typing and it got an actual stab to use things with and a (meager, true) +10 special attack in gen 6.
Still not great, though. AT least be on par with Clefable in terms of BST, I say.Or maybe give it some crazier moves. What if it got Boomburst

And yet it may as well be an arcanine compared to Delcatty. Delcatty only has 400 BST and by that I mean it was 380 until Sun & Moon.
380. For a stone evolution. On a (rare!) pure normal type. Its biggest addition (beyond the ~*+20*~ in gen 7) has been Normalize, an abilitiy entirely unique to it & Skitty that is worse than the later -ate abilities by just making everything normal. Its biggest claim to fame is normal type thunder wave.
I have been begging for one of its abilities to be swapped out for Fur Coat because at least then it has something going for it even if it would still suck in comparison to Furfrou & Persina-A
Yeah, I forgot Delcatty. The PokéDex said that it is a pacifist, which explains the poor base stats. Still, not an excuse for such a low BST.

Way too many mons need to be updated to survive Power creep. The regional forms aren't cutting it, we NEED major stat changes, 10 bst isn't cutting it
I think a lot of pokemon still find their weird niches here and there, even older pokemon.

But then you have pokemon that are just straight up bad, even in the generation they were introduced. Can't place the blame on being power crept out when that was already happening in your generation, you know? I feel like gen 3 or 4 was the last time there was just straight up terrible seemingly by design Pokemon, after that even trash mons started getting interesting tools or at least a gimmick. Sure there's plenty of pokemon that don't shine these days, but I would put most of them in the "strongly usable" category and even the bad ones I'd never put on the level of Delcatty or Spinda.

Nintendo's focus on double battles competitively despite most players preferring single battles. I think VGC is kind of a mess and not that fun to watch compared to singles.
They don't want to deal with Toxapex, Chansey, Ferrothorn, and friends, since even in 3v3, Stall can take a long time.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Unova Pokemon still evolves at too high level compared to Pokemon from previous generations. I feel this should have been retconned since the only reason the levels were high was because of the way Unova was structured.
I don’t even think the high levels worked in Unova- Black and White 1 are pretty low level games, ending at the mid-low 50s, meaning a fair amount of pokemon end up evolving at the Elite Four (or if you’re Deino, only barely hitting your middle stage). Only justification I can think of for the later levels is the generally higher power of fully evolved Unova pokemon (compare Darmanitan to Rapidash) but that doesn’t really hold up in a game that only contains Unova mons.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Is it? Or is it because the core series's main gameplay is primarily single battles so most players aren't exposed enough to Double Battles to really form an opinion if they like it over Single Battles? If we ever had a core series which let us choose to have the whole game be Double Battles or had Double Battles be just as prevalent as Single Battles maybe we may see actual discussion whether players like one style over the other. Right now the only games that were mainly double battles is the Colosseum games which there only were two, had a very limited Pokedex, and they had the Shadow Pokemon mechanic which sort of made you think differently then just trying to defeat your opponent. Double Battles has a LOT more potential for deeper strategies and I think if the core series ever put more focus on it they can show that off.

Galarian Slowpoke seriously sucks ass. I thought the devs would give this mon some cool moves or a unique typing to hype up the expansions pass, but all they did was take away its base form's Water-type and copy and paste its movepool. At least it looks cool, but I expected more.
Gonna wait for its evos to make a full judgement, sometimes you gotta consider the whole family instead of an individual alone.

Still not great, though. AT least be on par with Clefable in terms of BST, I say.
That's one thing I think is the problem with Wigglytuff, it's BST is 435 while Clefable is 483. Why? Wigglytuff is missing 48 BST, not a lot but split it and put them in its defense stats and could make Wigglytuff at least slightly usable with 140/70/69/85/74/45 (and to put Jigglypuff on par with Clefairy have its BST be 115/50/42/50/46/20). If you can to give it a bigger boon, considering its dex entries, I say give it Fur Coat too. Boomburst isn't a bad suggestion either though how about also letting it have Moonblast (yes, the Jigglypuff family can't learn Moonblast, a Fairy-type that needs the MOON Stone to evolve). Also, considering its main gimmick is a super soothing voice that puts you to sleep, maybe give it a Signature Move that's a copy of Spore.

Okay, I actually have a different idea for Delcatty. First, stat increase to at least be 480: 90/75/75/75/75/90. Now, my idea, after reading its dex entry: give it Moody. Make it a wildcard, Delcatty doesn't have to follow your rules! Normalize is also a garbage Ability, it needs more stuff done with it (among many others like Stall that someone randomly brought up; could recommend suggestions but I already scooting on the edge of wishlisting).

Unova Pokemon still evolves at too high level compared to Pokemon from previous generations. I feel this should have been retconned since the only reason the levels were high was because of the way Unova was structured.
Quick suggestions based on similar BST Pokemon:
  • Vanillite, Kling & Axew: 25
  • Vanillish, Klang, Fraxure & Larvesta: 45
  • Mienfoo, Pawniard & Deino: 35
  • Zweilous: 55
  • Rufflet, Vullaby & Skrelp: 40
I also think GF is missing an opportunity by not letting Pokemon evolve early then usual if they have high Friendship. That was a constant thing that happened in the anime so would be neat if they also had something like that in the games.

I also think they could maybe have the Evo Stones have an additional effect than just evolving a handful of Pokemon, like each stone could maybe also make evolving a Pokemon of a certain Type easier (each Type will be associated with one of the Evo stones, like the Leaf Stone would probably affect both Grass-types and Bug-types).

Okay, I actually have a different idea for Delcatty. First, stat increase to at least be 480: 90/75/75/75/75/90. Now, my idea, after reading its dex entry: give it Moody. Make it a wildcard, Delcatty doesn't have to follow your rules! Normalize is also a garbage Ability, it needs more stuff done with it (among many others like Stall that someone randomly brought up; could recommend suggestions but I already scooting on the edge of wishlisting).
If you have a better way to use Thunder Wave on Ground-types I'd be glad to hear it.

But seriously, I'm also annoyed how crap Delcatty is.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I'm gonna preface this with an admission: I have not actually played either HeartGold or SoulSilver, so maybe these dudes are much more threatening in practice than on paper. But holy shit, the Rocket Admin teams in Gen 2 are just straight-up terrible. Like, barely better than OG RSE Magma and Aqua.

Proton - One of the first you fight early in the game, he has Zubat and Koffing. That's pretty sucky, but I give him some leeway because it's early-game. What I can't forgive is later on when he still has only those two, just now as Golbat and Weezing.

Ariana- Probably the most competent of the bunch, sadly. She has a very unique choice for a Rocket in Vileplume, and Arbok and Murkrow are serviceable. That said, the latter 100% should've been a Honchkrow in HGSS in her 2nd and last battle, but I guess all remakes not named ORAS have a bizarre phobia of incorporating later-gen evolutions/forms of their Pokemon so whatever.

Petrel-

1579878081381.png

Archer- The supposed big bad, and despite not being quite as much of a joke as Petrel he's still far from good, and more importantly his flaws are exacerbated by being the new head of Team Rocket. This is it, the final boss of this evil mafia and his team is... 3 mons, two of whom aren't even fully evolved despite being high enough level to do so (WHY IS HE STILL STUCK WITH FUCKING KOFFING IT'S LEVEL 35) and one of which is just the lower stage of his main mon. Houndoom is pretty cool as an ace I guess, but 2 kinda neat Pokemon choices between 4 admins is not a good ratio in the slightest. Reminder: HGSS in particular came out right after Platinum, and that game's final villain battle looked like this:

Screenshot (8).png

Oh, and don't give me anything about how they can't have good teams because they're petty crooks or whatever. Giovanni in OG RBY, which had 100 less Pokemon to work with mind you, was able to form a powerful 5-man squad with some menacing Ground types like the Nidos and Rhydon. What's Archer's excuse?

That Team Rocket is much weaker than in the prequels.

Also that the level curve in these games (as well as the originals) is terrible.
And the sad thing is HGSS did slightly, emphasis on slight, attempt to address the level curve issue but did this by just sort of passively handing out level boosts of varying effort. A bit missing the point of the complaints, there.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Issues with Villain Admin Parties:
Yeah, it wasn't until ORAS did I start to see how lackluster they made the Admins teams (and sometimes the main bosses). Let's go through each team to see how they stack up:

Well no admins here, just Giovanni who you battle three times with rising difficulty (just going to stick with his RB & FRLG roster).
  • Rocket Hideout uses an Onix, Rhyhorn, and Kangaskhan. An alright team that shows his type specialty but provides an extra surprise challenge via Kangaskhan.
  • Silhp Co. uses Nidorino, Rhyhorn, Kangaskhan, and Nidoqueen. Dropped the Onix so he can have both most of his signature Pokemon (the Nidos and Rhyhorn family) while also keeping that Kangaskhan as a sort of crutch.
  • Viridian Gym uses Rhyhorn, Dugtrio, Nidoqueen, Nidoking, & Rhydon. His Gym team so they needed him to stick with his Type. It's a pretty solid line-up for the most part, except for him keeping that Rhyhorn which I think they could have swapped out for a Sandslash (I understand why they wouldn't want him to use a Marowak considering the story and Onix is Brock's ace). But with Dugtrio, the Nidos, and a Rhydon alone would provide the player with a nice challenge for both ending the Team Rocket storyline and Gym Leader challenges before heading up to the Pokemon League.

And here we go.
  • Proton starts with two Pokemon and ends with two Pokemon, Golbat and Weezing. Now this is sort of understandable as Proton is actually a combination of two random Rocket members (the boss of Slowpoke Well was just a plain grunt with a Koffing while the "lesser" Executive in the Radio Tower has a Golbat; infact Proton's dialogue is completely new as they needed to setup his personality). Considering he vanishes for most of the game after Slowpoke Well until the final Radio Tower invasion, I think maybe they could have given him one encounter in the middle (off the top of my head have him be the Rocket member harassing the Kimono Sisters, it was an extra battle they added in anyway). That way they could have that battle be where he has evolved his Pokemon and so in the Radio Tower give him a third Pokemon like Sneasel (or give him the Sneasel in the second battle and for the third have him use four Pokemon for the third encounter). Personally I would have replaced all his Pokemon and maybe given him a "cutting/slashing" based team to match his personality and what he was first doing when encountered (cutting off a Slowpoke's tail): Sandslash, Persian, Kabutops, Sneasel, Skarmory, etc..
  • Petrel I think may also be a combination of two separate characters. Because his first team makes sense for an early boss (Koffing, Zubat, and Raticate) but then his later battle has him using the army of Koffing. The hey? Not only that, but the Rocket HQ Executive that Petrel takes the place of says something similar to the Executive that Archer takes the place of when they lose: both ask Giovanni for forgiveness. That makes me wonder if the original intention was the Rocket HQ Executive and the final Radio Tower Executive was meant to be the same character, the doppelganger executive being a one-off. Anyway, while I guess that makes sense for the original GSC, for HGSS where they gave him a personality they should maybe have given him a whole new team theme. Since he's an impersonator have him use Pokemon that focus on confusing and/or using Hypnosis: Drowzee family, Exeggutor family, Hoothoot family, Yanma family, & Stantler.
  • As said, Ariana is probably the "best", though in HGSS should have definitely evolved her Murkrow into a Honchkrow in the Radio Tower (and also given her a fourth Pokemon). Actually, considering this was the gen gender was introduced, maybe go full theme and give her Pokemon that are either only female or likely to be female: Nidoran female family, Kangaskhan, Jynx, Clefairy family, Vulpix family, Jigglypuff family, Snubbull family, & Corsola.
  • Come on, Archer should have been given five Pokemon at least in HGSS. And really, Houndour and KOFFING? Keep his Houndoom and then give him a team worth his position, if you need a quick idea he could use the ace Pokemon of the other three admins plus Giovanni's (probably Rhydon or one of the Nidos).

The team during ORAS that made me realize this. Infact I don't need to go into each as I can summarize them in one sentence. Magma uses the Numel family & Koffing family (ORAS); Aqua uses the Carvanha family & Grimer family (ORAS); and both use Mightyena and Golbat/Crobat. And only Archie/Maxie use all four, the Admins either use one or two. And considering all the Pokemon has available for Water and Ground it's mind-boggling why they would severely limit the teams like that. Infact they could easily have cut out the Poochyena, Koffing, and Grimer families.

I believe the meme is "Level 34 Wurmple". Though it's not just Wurmple they had this issue with but also other Pokemon that should have evolved by the time you battle them (notably Stunky, Glameow, and Croagunk; hint to the person making these teams, if you don't want a grunt using the signature Pokemon of the admins HAVE THEM USE DIFFERENT POKEMON FAMILIES. Actually they also use Bronzors and Houndour at levels they should have evolved). But this is about the Admins:
  • Mars and Jupiter aren't any better. Their Signature Pokemon then Zubat & Bronzor family. In addition they don't go above Golbat and only in Platinum do they evolve in Bronzor's.
  • Saturn, in addition to his signature Pokemon, also did use a Kadabra... in DP, but in Platinum they replaced it with a Golbat. *heavy sigh*
  • Cyrus team looks good (even if Roark could take them all out with little problem). If you're not prepared you could be taken for a ride.

Now instead of admins it was multiple battles with N and a final battle with Ghetsis. Not only that N had a gimmick where his team was made up of Pokemon that could be found in the immediate surrounding routes. Because of that, on you first playthrough without looking at a guide, you didn't know what Pokemon he would pull out and he had nice Type coverage on top of that. Some surprising Pokemon would be his Timburr in the Nacrene/second battle that hits hard, Sigilyph in the Nimbasa/third battle that could easily sweep, and his fourth/Chargestone Cave team is rather defensive heavy. And of course his Champion team has the Legendary though his other Pokemon aren't slouches either like Vanilluxe, Archeops, and Zoroark.

And then there's Ghetsis, notably Hydreigon though his entire team had wide type coverage except for Cofagrigus who is more meant to hinder with Toxic & Protect (and it's Mummy Ability).

A bit more complicated as we still don't have admins but have several characters filling that role:
  • Colress would be the most prominent. You first face him on Route 4 with a Magnemite and Klink which shouldn't provide that much trouble, though he says he was just testing you. Second is when he's the final opponent in the Pokemon World Tournament you need to participate in and he has upgraded his team by evolving Magnemite to Magneton and added an Elgyem to his party, though once again he just wants to see what you can do. His third battle is the actual boss battle on the Plasma Frigate and his team is now much more formidable by evolving all his Pokemon all the way (except Magneton) and adding a Magnezone and Metang. But don't think his Magneton is deadweight as it's holding an Eviolite! Though a Ground-type can handle most of his Pokemon (which could be why his Beheeyem has Energy Ball and Klinklank is holding an Air Balloon) if you don't have a Pokemon that's super effective his team is pretty bulky so a worthy challenge with thought put into it.
  • During the main game Shadow Triad and I guess they did their best? While they all have one unique Pokemon, each use two Pawniard and it's not till post game they evolve into Bisharp (not that it's their fault as Pawniard evolves at 52!! Seriously GF, lower the Gen V Pokemon evo levels...). Like, I get why they would want them to use at least one Bisharp, but surely they could have also given them a different Pokemon instead of a second Pawniard (even the Elemental Monkeys just to keep pushing that theory they're the Striaton Triplets until post game gives you the memory link that disproves it).
  • Finally there's Zinzolin you face in Opelucid during the story and he focuses on Ice-types... using three with two being Cryogonal. Like he has a Weavile at least, but you couldn't give him another Ice-type instead of a second Cryogonal? Like how about Mamoswine or Walrein?
  • Ghetsis team is still intimidating though I think was made a tad bit easier having less Type variety and Hyreigon getting nerfed into a Physical attacker holding a Life Orb (though Cofagrigus was given a Leftover to make it just that more annoying).

Ugh. First off, remember the Scientists and Admins are two separate trainers... with the Admins just being glorified Grunts and the Scientists being treated as past Admins were. Though that doesn't really change much as no Scientist or Admin ever uses more than TWO Pokemon. Heck, I don't think the four Scientist girls even have a Signature Pokemon as none of them use a Gen 6 Pokemon. Xerosic is the only notable scientist as he does have a signature Pokemon in Malamar (though post game does show he has more than 6 Pokemon via Essentia using them).

And Lysandre isn't even trying. Four Pokemon and your newly required Legendary could toss a majority of them aside. A MASSIVE downgrade from Ghetsis.

We go back to sort of not having admins but rather series of bosses with whom you fight depend on story reason.
  • Gladion is more or less about his Type: Null. First battle he also has a Zubat and by the Aether House he has evolved it into a Golbat and added a Sneasel. It's not till after the storyline and especially post game where he may start being a challenge but for the main story it's clear the one you got to worry about is his Type: Null which high stats does provide a challenge.
  • Plumeria is yet another case where her team gets WAY better post game. But for the main story her first battle is Golbat & Salandit and then her second battle that takes place way after Team Skull holds any importance is Golbat & Salazzle. Sure Salazzle is fast and hits hard but feels a bit out of place with little fanfare.
  • Guzma I have a theory you weren't supposed to battle him at Aether Paradise, his "best" main story team would have been at the Shady House. However I guess when they changed their mind about certain story elements and made him battled at the Aether Paradise they took his Shadow House team there and had him just use his Golisopod and Ariados at Shady House (at least he's given a third Pokemon in USUM). That said it is neat to see Golisopod in action with First Impression and Emergency Exit (if you don't 1hko it).
  • Faba's "last line of defense" team I guess is alright, at least when partnered with another trainer so he has more than three Pokemon.
  • I almost forgot about the Ultra Recon Squad, of course its easy to do that as they always use one Pokemon. First time its a Furfrou which could be challenging as it's pretty bulky, but from then on its Poipole which you easily outpower by the time of Aether Paradise (maybe if they evolved it to Naganedel it would have held a bit more of a challenge).
  • Lusamine's team is what you should expect from a main boss.

Not going to bother with Yell or Macro Cosmos as the former barely factor into the story and the latter "appears" at the very end (though I will say I do like the battles with Marnie, Piers, Oleana, and Rose so I guess that's my opinion right there).

I think Lysandre's team is fine, honestly. The 4 pokemon may be swept by Xerneas/Yveltal, so it's dumb that they all but force their way into the party, but on their own they're not terrible pokemon, they're of decent level and he actually uses a Mega (one of a whopping 4 battles in the entire game).

My issue with Lysandre is you fight him 3 times in the span of about an hour and he starts with 4 pokemon and ends with 4 pokemon with the only progression being +2 levels per battle, Mienfoo to Mienshao in the second and Mega Gyarados in the third.

hard agree on the Scientists being MASSIVELY disappointing. You fight each one twice but while they have a nice variety of Pokemon they all have exactly 1 in their first battle (excepting the double battle with Celosia & Bryony which is "technically" 2 pokemon) and then 2 for the climaxes. What a waste.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm gonna preface this with an admission: I have not actually played either HeartGold or SoulSilver, so maybe these dudes are much more threatening in practice than on paper. But holy shit, the Rocket Admin teams in Gen 2 are just straight-up terrible. Like, barely better than OG RSE Magma and Aqua.

Proton - One of the first you fight early in the game, he has Zubat and Koffing. That's pretty sucky, but I give him some leeway because it's early-game. What I can't forgive is later on when he still has only those two, just now as Golbat and Weezing.

Ariana- Probably the most competent of the bunch, sadly. She has a very unique choice for a Rocket in Vileplume, and Arbok and Murkrow are serviceable. That said, the latter 100% should've been a Honchkrow in HGSS in her 2nd and last battle, but I guess all remakes not named ORAS have a bizarre phobia of incorporating later-gen evolutions/forms of their Pokemon so whatever.

Petrel-

Archer- The supposed big bad, and despite not being quite as much of a joke as Petrel he's still far from good, and more importantly his flaws are exacerbated by being the new head of Team Rocket. This is it, the final boss of this evil mafia and his team is... 3 mons, two of whom aren't even fully evolved despite being high enough level to do so (WHY IS HE STILL STUCK WITH FUCKING KOFFING IT'S LEVEL 35) and one of which is just the lower stage of his main mon. Houndoom is pretty cool as an ace I guess, but 2 kinda neat Pokemon choices between 4 admins is not a good ratio in the slightest. Reminder: HGSS in particular came out right after Platinum, and that game's final villain battle looked like this:

Oh, and don't give me anything about how they can't have good teams because they're petty crooks or whatever. Giovanni in OG RBY, which had 100 less Pokemon to work with mind you, was able to form a powerful 5-man squad with some menacing Ground types like the Nidos and Rhydon. What's Archer's excuse?
Petrel has 6 Pokémon that can literally explode in your face, which is especially important since they didn't fix Self-destruct/Explosion until Gen V. He's definitely a threat to Nuzlocke players.

hard agree on the Scientists being MASSIVELY disappointing. You fight each one twice but while they have a nice variety of Pokemon they all have exactly 1 in their first battle (excepting the double battle with Celosia & Bryony which is "technically" 2 pokemon) and then 2 for the climaxes. What a waste.
I just keep forgetting the scientist quartet exist--they all look the same and don't do anything. Xerosic at least has a distinct design.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)