(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

It's a move with limited (natural) distribution and a niche effect that rarely sees use either by in-game trainers (where you probably wont see its true effects most of the time) or in PVP, so it's not too surprising.

Incidentally moves like this still being in the game is kidn of why I think "movexit" was less purposely axing useless moves and more time/dev constraints

It's a little bit annoying to me that Pokémon in the Isle of Armour dex don't have their number beside them in the PC -- and especially weird on stuff like Galarian Slowpoke and Kubfu which are completely new in this gen. I think it would have worked well enough to have a little Isle icon beside their number to differentiate from the normal Pokédex.

It's a little bit annoying to me that Pokémon in the Isle of Armour dex don't have their number beside them in the PC -- and especially weird on stuff like Galarian Slowpoke and Kubfu which are completely new in this gen. I think it would have worked well enough to have a little Isle icon beside their number to differentiate from the normal Pokédex.
I guess because there's Galar Dex pokemon in the IoA dex too so it'd be weird for slowpoke to be Island 1 but Pincurchin would either need to be Galar 353 or also have Island 126 and man that screen is going to get very crowded very quickly when Tundra's own pokedex enters the fray.

I do wish the save screen tracked the different dexes, though.

I guess because there's Galar Dex pokemon in the IoA dex too so it'd be weird for slowpoke to be Island 1 but Pincurchin would either need to be Galar 353 or also have Island 126 and man that screen is going to get very crowded very quickly when Tundra's own pokedex enters the fray.

I do wish the save screen tracked the different dexes, though.
It does also make me wonder if it'd be worth it to just... tag on the newly added Pokémon to the pre-existing dex; have that lady at the Isle station who hands you the new dex do that as well? Could be weird having stuff like Slowpoke after Eternatus, but it's not as if it's without precedent -- Platinum's additions made Dialga, Palkia and Manaphy at the 2/3 point in the dex; BW2's dex put the Kami and Musketeer trios at the 200 mark; and even now we strangely have Kubfu at number 100 while Porygon-Z gets to cap off the Isle dex at 210. You could maybe even make it a 'special' section too, and it would make it easier for people to keep track of the new additions. ... it'd maybe also let us finally get Mew's dex entry...

It does also make me wonder if it'd be worth it to just... tag on the newly added Pokémon to the pre-existing dex; have that lady at the Isle station who hands you the new dex do that as well? Could be weird having stuff like Slowpoke after Eternatus, but it's not as if it's without precedent -- Platinum's additions made Dialga, Palkia and Manaphy at the 2/3 point in the dex; BW2's dex put the Kami and Musketeer trios at the 200 mark; and even now we strangely have Kubfu at number 100 while Porygon-Z gets to cap off the Isle dex at 210. You could maybe even make it a 'special' section too, and it would make it easier for people to keep track of the new additions. ... it'd maybe also let us finally get Mew's dex entry...
Yeah have the separate dexes, thats fine, But just append the new ones to the end of the normal Galar dex too, that'd be nice.

But while we're at this, since you mentioned Mew, I don't understand why those 35 extra pokemon weren't just in the dex already, after Eternatus.
The obvious argument is oh well they're obviously intended for the DLC, like Bulbasaur & Squirtle. But that's provably untrue because IoA added Magearna to this update specifically and it has a full set of entries for both its forms but you still can't view it. Meanwhile the ALolan starters are just given out in the DLC itself and you can't view their entries. Highly highly doubt those will be viewable in Tundra

Yeah have the separate dexes, thats fine, But just append the new ones to the end of the normal Galar dex too, that'd be nice.

But while we're at this, since you mentioned Mew, I don't understand why those 35 extra pokemon weren't just in the dex already, after Eternatus.
The obvious argument is oh well they're obviously intended for the DLC, like Bulbasaur & Squirtle. But that's provably untrue because IoA added Magearna to this update specifically and it has a full set of entries for both its forms but you still can't view it. Meanwhile the ALolan starters are just given out in the DLC itself and you can't view their entries. Highly highly doubt those will be viewable in Tundra
I think it makes sense that they didn't want them in the dex bc there was no way to obtain them before Home, and generally it seems like they didn't want us to know they existed before Home. But I think it'd have made more than enough sense to make an addition to the dex in this recent update, or at worst had stuff like Mew in the Isle dex.

Edit: wait hang on I forgot they made a whole thing pre-release about being able to get Mew in SwSh with the Poke Ball Plus. Why wasn't that in the dex

I think it makes sense that they didn't want them in the dex bc there was no way to obtain them before Home, and generally it seems like they didn't want us to know they existed before Home. But I think it'd have made more than enough sense to make an addition to the dex in this recent update, or at worst had stuff like Mew in the Isle dex.

Edit: wait hang on I forgot they made a whole thing pre-release about being able to get Mew in SwSh with the Poke Ball Plus. Why wasn't that in the dex
At the very very very least, you'd think that they would make those entries viewable in Home. But somehow, no!

I'd honestly like a stronger grip on story first before GF make another game
Now you guys might say "Gen 5" immediately for good story, but:
Ghetsis was good, but Team Plasma were really idiotic in their actions for "Pokemon should be freed". Like kidnapping a DRAGONITE skull despite having a set of scientists that really should know the dif between that and 2 giant dragons with an engine on their backs. Or publicly abusing a Munna
Also it kinda just seemed like a justification for cock fighting in Main series, but eh :V
And finally, the Main character is simply an observer, outside fighting bosses

Although the argument "but he's you, you're a blank slate so the player can relate". Except..;
-It does not excuse being gatekeeped annoyingly in the game. You'll still mostly linearly beat the Gyms and the E4
-Outside cosmetics, there isn't really anything that symbolically matters being unique. It's just an excuse to not actually do anything with the MP at this point. This also is why BoTWs story was crippled: This Link legit has no actual goal or chemistry/interaction with anyone. He's just there

To add to the gate keeping issue, NPCs will dismiss allowing you to help in crisises cuz "You're just a kid"
Yeah and I just beat at least 4 Gymleaders. Who were adults
And they aren't helping out until REALLY late in BW. Jerks
No wait the E4 did jack squat despite Team Plasma releasing legendaries, and in capturing the 7 sages. Nevermind, they were the ultimate jerk

This issue is so intense, it afflicts most spinoffs, and many other Nintendo games. It doesn't matter if you're a teen (TCG GB, Colo, OG Rangers), have a 2 min past (Colo), slightly darker elements. You're treated the exact same as the bland player throughout the game like in Main games. Only you're in different clothes

Ultimately to remedy this and still have the player be "unique" you can do what, say Sonic Chronicles, did for choosing what to say, indicating whether you're snarky, annoyed, jolly, etc. You can also have NPCs have different reactions to this to further note it, and have the Player have expressions outside :| , :) , and :D. To "excuse" gatekeeping, have the story interactive

You know what did this the closest? Not Colosseum, not Xd, and not the Rangers series, and definitely not Go. Mystery Dungeon did this besides Wiiware that was trash filler. With it outright asking you questions to see what your personality was. The player responds to what's going on. Other NPCs can physically interact, harmful or positive. Heck, you can actually sleep like a normal person

Obviously this means GF needs to expend effort. Which I heavily doubt they'll do, so consider this rant a pipe dream

Bull Of Heaven

99 Pounders / 4'3" Feet
is a Pre-Contributor
I mean, you don’t have to like BW’s story. I do, but its popularity definitely does say something about the rest of the series. But let’s get the nitpicks right:
  • It’s some low-level grunts who steal the skull. One of the sages then shows up and tells them it’s irrelevant. So clearly someone in the organization, probably higher up, does their research.
  • Gym leaders intervene against Team Plasma from fairly early on. Lenora, Burgh, Clay, Brycen, and Iris all get involved at different points. But they tend to mostly stick to their own cities until there’s a really big crisis, which doesn’t seem so outrageous.
  • The Elite Four all battle N and lose to him.
  • Edit re the Munna thing: It’s a significant plot point, especially in BW2, that Team Plasma is a mix of true believers and regular crooks. The Munna incident is an early look at the latter part.

Last edited:
Anyone else really weirdly love that they've started doing that with legends in recent dexes? Idk why I'm so fond of it exactly, but it's kind of fun that rather than shoving all the legendaries to the end in a massive list they split them up and disperse them a bit more. Zygarde gets plonked in the middle of the Alola Dex as well. I guess it makes the orderings a bit more interesting? The B2W2 Unova Dex is my favourite listing partly because of this, there's a bizarre sort of logic to the numbering.

...yes, I have favourite and least favourite regional Pokedex listings, this is a thing apparently

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
This is probably one of THE most nitpicky things to complain about, but
1593289652807.png

Why does Staryu's yellow case thing only connect to one of its "limbs"?? It would've looked so much better if they kept the penta symetry (Don't even know if that's the word) around by having it connect to all of its limba

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Dual Wingbeat, don't let Dragonite and Salamence down.
While it's nice we got another Physical Flying-type move, it STILL has the problem other Flying-type moves have with it requiring the Pokemon needing bird parts (in this case, wings) to use. Great for Dragonite and Salamence, but Gyarados is still waiting for a better Flying-type move.

Stall & Normalize Discussion:
No matter how you slice it, these Abilities aren't good and both have other Abilities they rather use (Sableye has Prankster and Delcatty has Wonder Skin). We could also think of other better Abilities they can have in place of Stall & Normalize (Sableye I can see getting Intimidate & Delcatty would probably like Fur Coat (and becoming part Fairy-type)).

And of course there's the option to improve the Abilities. Normalize I can see also increasing Normal-type moves by 50% and making it so that all Delcatty's Normal-type moves ignore Resistances & Immunities. For Stall, that's tough, maybe have it so in a Double Battle (Tag Battle, Triple Battle, etc.) that if Sableye targets a Pokemon that Pokemon now targets Sableye even if it was targeting another Pokemon (pretty much make it into an Ability version of Rage Powder)?

I'd honestly like a stronger grip on story first before GF make another game
Now you guys might say "Gen 5" immediately for good story, but:
Bull Of Heaven already responded so some of these but I also want to quickly comment on the ones which weren't:

1. Also it kinda just seemed like a justification for cock fighting in Main series, but eh :V
2. And finally, the Main character is simply an observer, outside fighting bosses
3. It does not excuse being gatekeeped annoyingly in the game. You'll still mostly linearly beat the Gyms and the E4
4. And they aren't helping out until REALLY late in BW. Jerks
5. Ultimately to remedy this and still have the player be "unique" you can do what, say Sonic Chronicles, did for choosing what to say, indicating whether you're snarky, annoyed, jolly, etc. You can also have NPCs have different reactions to this to further note it, and have the Player have expressions outside :| , :) , and :D. To "excuse" gatekeeping, have the story interactive
1. That is always going to be a problem with Pokemon. They're magical animals fighting each other, that's the core mechanic and thus they need to write around justification why it isn't cockfighting. And you know what, I think they've done enough to justify it:
  • Pokemon are as sentient as humans & definitely more powerful. If they didn't want to fight they wouldn't fight.
  • Pokemon are magical creatures who suffer very little injury from fighting and any injury sustained can be cured via a super healing machine or a nice nap.
  • Pokemon literally become stronger from battling, and while recent gens have introduced other ways for Pokemon to get stronger battling is still the fastest and the Pokemon species themselves were made with an instinct of wanting to fight.
  • Battles are clearly sanctioned like in real life we have boxing & MMA matches.
At this point the only people who are saying Pokemon is cockfighting are those who don't even play the games or are willingly ignoring all the above justifications because they just want to say Pokemon is cockfighting, lulz.

2. For BW? BW does involve the player in the main story by making them essentially the opposite of N. There are points where the story comes to a halt because Team Plasma or the Pokemon League are waiting on the player to arrive or do something. This is contrast to previous games and even games after where the player was indeed more of an observer, the player was just so happened to be in time to witness the story event unfold. Instead of being a "wrench in the works" the player in BW succeeds in beating the villain team by having the villain team underestimating them being a strong trainer that can defeat N (and then Ghetsis).
Though this is just for BW. BW2 goes back to the player being mostly an observer to unfolding events. You are eventually roped into the story but even then it's still more as a responsive force than actually having a presence which affects the progression of plans.

3. For the Gen V games I felt it worked as it was GF's first attempt to tell a more complex story and having a linear series of events let them setup more memorable set pieces. And unlike say Final Fantasy 13 where the stages were hallways, while the map may deceive you the cities and routes were decent side maps that let you explore and had optional areas scattered around. Sure after exploring the location once you have little reason to return, but for telling a story that's fine as it keeps you interested long enough before then wanting to move on to the next segment.
Would I love a free roam game with a complex story? Of course, and I have thought of ways that could be done (though would require quite a bit of event flags and creating multiple teams many which won't get used, which is probably why GF doesn't want to do it as they don't like making extra teams they may not get used). But in my opinion there was nothing wrong with BW's method.

4. The Gym Leaders being late to join in (though a batch have been helping out throughout the story, moreso than any other gen) is because Team Plasma is actively working to keep them out of the know. The only reason the player is involved so much is because they need the player to fulfill being the opposite of N so he could defeat them and prove he's the true hero of Unova, however anyone else they don't need has no clue what Plasma's next plan is. And even the player is kept mostly in the dark, really being guided to where and what Plasma needs them to do. Team Plasma is pretty much holding all the cards and allowing who knows and doesn't know things. The Gym Leaders rushing in to battle the Sages last minute was thanks to outside factor they overlooked: Bianca, the "lesser" rival and meek friend of the player, being able to fly to the other Gym Leaders and telling them what's happening.
As for where the Elite 4 (and the Champion and Cheren) was, to give them benefit of the doubt they were probably maintaining order inside and outside the Pokemon League from all the Plasma grunts now invading.

5. Actual dialogue options that affect how other characters interact with the player would also be nice to have, though I doubt we'll ever have the option for the player to be an outright jerk or malicious (or make major choices like agreeing with the villain team). They've thankfully improved on the player's expressions in Gen 8 at least.

Anyone else really weirdly love that they've started doing that with legends in recent dexes? Idk why I'm so fond of it exactly, but it's kind of fun that rather than shoving all the legendaries to the end in a massive list they split them up and disperse them a bit more. Zygarde gets plonked in the middle of the Alola Dex as well. I guess it makes the orderings a bit more interesting? The B2W2 Unova Dex is my favourite listing partly because of this, there's a bizarre sort of logic to the numbering.

...yes, I have favourite and least favourite regional Pokedex listings, this is a thing apparently
For the msot part, though, they're still all at the end of the dex. It's just since Platinum they'll sometimes have the earlier-appearing equivalents appear, uh, earlier in the dex. Platinum obvious shoved Giratina to the bottom, BW2 had the Forces of Nature and Musketeers at appropriate-ish spots, and gen 7 had a little chunk dedicated to Silvally, Poipole & Zygarde. And Urshifu is...in its own weird kind of nonsensical spot in a separate dex without getting to be in the Galar Dex proper where the wolves & eternatus are placed at the end.
But the bulk of the rest of the legends are still together. The ALola dexes have all the other legends, including UBs, at the end of the dex. The legends of XY are all at the end of their dexes, there's just not one unified Kalos dex.

The Tundra dex will probably be interesting, though. I assume we'll just have random batches of legends throughout it depending on the exact route through the tundra and if the Den legends get to actually ,y ou know. Be there, in the dex proper.

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
While on the topic of legendaries' dex placement, may I just add that I hate Landorus' dex placement

Why would you split apart two trios like this instead of having Landorus come before Reshiram?
I hate to admit it, but Landorus and Kyurem being separated from their counterparts in the dex is a big pet peeve of mine.

I can forgive Keldeo because a) Keldeo's a Mythical, and b) for me, Keldeo is irrelevant.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
While on the topic of legendaries' dex placement, may I just add that I hate Landorus' dex placement

View attachment 259129

Why would you split apart two trios like this instead of having Landorus come before Reshiram?
I think the logic is how the Regional Dex was organized. You're able to encounter Tornadus/Thundurus before Reshiram/Zekrom but won't likely encounter Landorus before the dragons. Now they could have placed Kyurem before Landorus so that it's with Zekrom/Reshiram, BUT then that would mean Landorus would be 3 slots away from its group which would look even more awkward. So instead they had Landorus before Kyurem so both are at least one slot away from the Legendary group they are a part of so Landorus doesn't look that out of place.

Also could be a surprise factor. Like if you caught Tornadus/Thundurus and then caught Reshiram/Zekrom you'll see there's only one slot before which could be deduced as the counterpart to Tornadus/Thundurus. From there two things could happen:

1. You find the Abundant Shrine and are surprised to hear bringing both Tornadus & Thundurus will summon yet another member of its group. Then upon catching it you'll see its right after Zekrom & Reshiram so probably means they don't have a third member to their group... except you then find Kyurem in Giant Chasm!

2. You catch Kyurem in Giant Charm, thinking it'll be right after Zekrom & Reshiram as it's obviously a part of its group. But then you check the dex and see there's one more Pokemon between them! What could that Pokemon be... and then you arrive to Abundant Shrine and it makes sense.

It does make sense in-game because generally speaking, Unova's Pokédex is organised by when you encounter each Pokémon in-game -- this isn't terribly uncommon for Pokédexes but Unova was very strict with it. So regarding the legendary section, you first encounter Thundurus and Tornadus before Zekrom and Reshiram; and then Landorus; and then Kyurem. Why is Terrakion then not between Tornadus and Zekrom? ... eh.

edit: ninja'd by four paragraphs explaining the same thing

They want the unova dex to end at 150 "normally" and Landorus & Kyurem are post game. So Muskeers, Tornadus/Thundurus, Reshiram & Zekrom
Kyurem is the game's mewtwo, so it gets to be at the end of the dex.
Landorus is harder to see normally, but it's part of a lesser trio than the Tao. Ergo, it goes before Kyurem

Unova Dex is literally just the gen 5 National Dex order, so this is retained completely in the full dex.

The topic has been beaten to death already, but the first thing that comes to mind regarding with the dex placement is that gf wanted to emphasize them being duos rather than trios. Lore wise, resh and zek are obviously counterparts to one another. Battle-wise, they also have basically the same abilities and bst as well as parallel stat structures . On the other hand, kyurem has lower bst and an entirely unrelated pressure ability. Putting kyurem together with the other two would've undermined resh and zek's relationship.

The same logic can be applied to the genies since torny and thundy have the same abilities and stats as well as being similar roaming gods that cause mischief. Lando is a lot more different having higher bst, an unrelated stat structure and abilities.

In fact, i'd say i quite like this dex placement where gf chose to put these unique trio relationships side by side to emphasize that the third members of both trios r related but not entirely counterparts.

Okay, so Heavy-Duty Boots block all entry hazard because of their thick soles letting Pokemon touch the ground with protection from stuff on the ground. Why does it work against Stealth Rocks if it hits flying targets too.

Meta-wise, it would make Sneaky Pebbles way too broken to being immune to an entry-hazard counter. Flavor-wise, do the Boots redirect the rocks?

And bones of course. Can’t forget the Flying-type’s crucial immunity to bones.

It also arguably doesn’t make sense that they protect the wearer from Sticky Web’s Speed drop.

Tbh it’s kinda impossible to design an item that instantly and intuitively says ‘this will make you immune to being hit by floating rocks’, so I think they just went for a concept that generally says ‘this protects you from dangerous terrain’

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)