(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
I will always remember Hitmonchan in the first three Generations. Access to the three Elemental Punches? Yay! Too bad it uses Hitmonchan's pitiful Special Attack.
Also, while some Fighting-type Pokémon have both good Attack and Sp. Attack stats (e.g., Blaziken, Infernape, Lucario, Mienshao, Cobalion and Virizion, Kommo-o), Keldeo is the only one to my knowledge who is specially focused.
Problem is that Fighting is supposed to be physical oriented, like how Psychic is special-oriented, general-wise at least.

But it did resulted too many “genericness” into multiple types in the long run due to poor variety over the eight generations, especially hurting Fighting due to too many mono-Fighting over time (fever pitch in Gen 8). Even Psychic have better variety by comparison.

But it did resulted too many “genericness” into multiple types in the long run due to poor variety over the eight generations, especially hurting Fighting due to too many mono-Fighting over time (fever pitch in Gen 8). Even Psychic have better variety by comparison.
Psychic has (checks Bulbapedia) two Physical moves with good distribution: Psycho Cut and Zen Headbutt. And only the latter is commonly used in competitive. It's as bad as Special Fighting in that regard, or only slightly better depending on your luck on Focus Blast.
Don't forget Aura Sphere.

Also, my most memorable experience with Rhyperior was in Pokémon Conquest of all things, where you unlock it quite early on. Unfortunately, Rock Wrecker still has a recharge turn.
Ah... Conquest Rock Wrecker. That attack range sure is awkward, how you can't retaliate in close range.

I wish there were more specially attacking fighting types.

Electivire deserves electric terrain or transistor as an ability.
The problem with Special Attacking Fighting types is that the three most reliable moves Fighting Moves for Special Attackers is Focus Blast, Aura Sphere, and Secret Sword. Focus Blast has high power, but it’s accuracy makes it inconsistent compared to Aura Sphere- you only a 49% chance to land to Focus Blasts in a row. Aura Sphere is the opposite, perfectly accurate but low base power. And Secret Sword is a signature move. Compare that to Close Combat, Superpower, and High Jump Kick, these are all very powerful with despite drawbacks, and with the former two being 100% accurate while the other is 90% accurate, you can see why Fighting is a better physical attacker type. All the Fighting types with the exception of Keldeo that can also be special have usable attack stats, namely Lucario, Kommo-o, Pheromosa, and maybe Mienshao, Cobalion, and Virizion if we are being generous.

Psychic has (checks Bulbapedia) two Physical moves with good distribution: Psycho Cut and Zen Headbutt. And only the latter is commonly used in competitive. It's as bad as Special Fighting in that regard, or only slightly better depending on your luck on Focus Blast.
Psychic's physical moves may be worse than Fighting's special moves, but they see more use by actual STAB users because Psychic has more than one dedicated physical attacker compared to Fighting's lone Keldeo. Gallade, Medicham, Metagross, Solgaleo, Solrock...

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Adding on what DrPumpkinz said, I didn’t refer Fighting and Psychic with just their moves. I also talk about the Pokémon with either of these types in general.

One example of underutilized move as a resulted of “reinforced Fighting stereotype” is Vacuum Wave, a Special version of Mach Punch, in turn a Fighting-type priority move. Among the Fighting-type Pokémon that can use Vacuum Wave, only Blaziken, Infernape, Lucario and (after Nasty Plot set up) Toxicroak can reliably use it. And only Lucario have a higher Special Attack than Attack, even if barely. A lot other Fighting-type Pokémon learns this move, but don’t have enough Special Attack to make it worth using.

If there’s one type that offer poor divserity in terms of Pokémon throughout the franchise’s history, even nowadays, that would be Fighting.

Kleavor... I have no idea where Kleavor is going to fit competitively. Almost definitely not as good as Scizor but still probably an upgrade to Scyther, at least as a wallbreaker.
It gets Sheer Force instead of Technician, but it still has Swarm and Steadfast like Scyther does.

I'll list all of the moves Scyther can learn that use that are effected by Sheer Force, and I mean ALL because Legends: Arceus showed that non-signature moves can be un-dexited like Silver Wind, Ominous Wind, Mud Bomb, and Ice Ball were for that game:

-Air Slash
-Bug Buzz
-Cross Poison
-Headbutt
-Ominous Wind
-Rock Smash
-Secret Power
-Silver Wind
-Steel Wing
-Struggle Bug

...Nothing really notable, and from what Kleavor has in Legends Rock Slide is the only other move that gets added(Need to wait to see how Stone Axe works in the traditional battle system)

Hopefully Kleavor will learn some more moves that can use the ability, like Lunge, Skitter Smack, or some new coverage moves.

...Nothing really notable, and from what Kleavor has in Legends Rock Slide is the only other move that gets added(Need to wait to see how Stone Axe works in the traditional battle system)

Hopefully Kleavor will learn some more moves that can use the ability, like Lunge, Skitter Smack, or some new coverage moves.
To be honest, even just being able to throw LO boosted Rock Slides with no downside other than the 90% accuracy on its own is pretty scary.

Sadly Rock/Bug isn't exactly the godtier of typings both offensively and defensively... I'm still thinking it'll prolly end up a decent mid-tier pokemon like Scyther itself, but nowhere close to OU or VGC viability.

To be honest, even just being able to throw LO boosted Rock Slides with no downside other than the 90% accuracy on its own is pretty scary.

Sadly Rock/Bug isn't exactly the godtier of typings both offensively and defensively... I'm still thinking it'll prolly end up a decent mid-tier pokemon like Scyther itself, but nowhere close to OU or VGC viability.
Offensively, EdgeQuake with UTurn is pretty good, but the speed and hazard vulnerability will get it wrecked. Actually, why does Rock not resist itself? That seems obvious and yet, nope. Bug/Rock is a decent defensive typing other than that.

It gets Sheer Force instead of Technician, but it still has Swarm and Steadfast like Scyther does.

I'll list all of the moves Scyther can learn that use that are effected by Sheer Force, and I mean ALL because Legends: Arceus showed that non-signature moves can be un-dexited like Silver Wind, Ominous Wind, Mud Bomb, and Ice Ball were for that game:

-Air Slash
-Bug Buzz
-Cross Poison
-Headbutt
-Ominous Wind
-Rock Smash
-Secret Power
-Silver Wind
-Steel Wing
-Struggle Bug

Honestly, given the animation of the Noble Kleavor when it appears spinning through the air when you encounter it, I could totally see them giving it Rapid Spin. Plus, since Rapid Spin boosts the user's speed now, it'll get the full power of Sheer Force + Life Orb.

If it got Rapid Spin I'd say dropping Sheer Force entirely might not be a horrible idea. You could run SD / Rapid Spin / EdgeQuake and have a pretty solid pseudo-double dancer. Again, nowhere near Scizor's level but I think I'd still rather build around that than Scyther.

It does seem weird that they gave it Sheer Force when it barely gets any moves that actually benefit from Sheer Force though.

If it got Rapid Spin I'd say dropping Sheer Force entirely might not be a horrible idea. You could run SD / Rapid Spin / EdgeQuake and have a pretty solid pseudo-double dancer. Again, nowhere near Scizor's level but I think I'd still rather build around that than Scyther.

It does seem weird that they gave it Sheer Force when it barely gets any moves that actually benefit from Sheer Force though.
Not that uncommon, I feel
Toucannon & Copperajah have Sheer Force but don't get a lot to their name either.

Sometimes they just want it for flavor

Copperajah makes me glad because it's the first Pokémon who really benefit from Heavy Metal. Heat Crash becoming a TR helps too.

On the other hand, is Light Metal actually useful for anyone, let alone a viable option?

Copperajah makes me glad because it's the first Pokémon who really benefit from Heavy Metal. Heat Crash becoming a TR helps too.

On the other hand, is Light Metal actually useful for anyone, let alone a viable option?
For 3 of the Light Metal users it just drops Low Kick/Grass Knot by 20 BP. I suppose that's not...terrible, in concept. But in practice the table looks like this:
Scizor 260.1 100 130 80
Metagross 1212.5 120 606.3 120
Registeel 451.9 120 225.9 100
Duraludon 88.2 60 44.1 40

You probably weren't using the move on those POkemon to begin with and I suspect 100 & 80 against Scizor & Registeel would still hit similar enough.

And then there's metagross who REQUIRES Light Metal + Automize/Float Stone in order to go from 120 -> 100

On Mega Scizor sets like in Uber and 1v1, Light Metal lets Mega Scizor switch into Low Kick better and prevents like an opponent like Porygon2 from Tracing Technician, which could power up Hidden Power.

I hate how often human gender roles are lazily slapped onto Pokemon. Whether it's the "male version has slightly larger body part" or "male version is physical/has higher offenses, female version is special/has higher defenses" (see: Nidoran, Lati@s, Indeedee, Basculegion) or "pink Fairy-types are locked to female" (seriously, does the dessert really have to be gender locked?). I'm not saying that gender differences are always bad (Wormadam/Mothim is based on an interesting biological phenomenon, though Mothim is boring in comparison to Wormadam), but there are a lot of cases where it's pretty silly.

But the following cases are probably the worst:
1) Female Heracross and Pikachu having heart-shaped body parts.
:ss/heracross-f: :ss/pikachu-f:
It just feels so glaringly artificial, whereas the male versions are "default".

2) Volbeat and Illumise.
Not only do they pull the "male version is physical, female version is special" thing, they also make Volbeat larger than Illumise (height of 0.7m vs 0.6m). In reality, female fireflies are generally larger than male fireflies.

3) Gallade being male-exclusive.
Despite not really having much that is gender-related in its design, it reinforces the association of Gardevoir being female. It's not really Game Freak's fault, but I think we all know it's contributed to the worst people on the Internet never shutting up about male Gardevoir.

Last edited:
Alcremie is weird because it's not like Aromatisse or Slurpuff are Female only. And in terms of being a "girly" design it's more akin to, like, Ribombee. You can see the feminine in it, I guess, but I literally didn't know Alcremie was a female only species until months later lol.

The other female only fairies are at least, like, by design meant to come across as a gf a woman. Hatterne is a classic witch (& only a third dark pink for that matter) and counter part to the (frankly, shouldn't be male only) male only Grimmsnarl, Florges is a curvy woman, Enamorus is the Token Woman of the cloud bros. Alcremie....doesn't. It's just a cute little dollop of whipped cream that kinda sort of looks like it has some pigtails.

But the following cases are probably the worst:
1) Female Heracross and Pikachu having heart-shaped body parts.
:ss/heracross-f: :ss/pikachu-f:
It just feels so glaringly artificial, whereas the male versions are "default".
I mostly agree with your post, but I want to raise a small point of defense for Heracross. I think it does feel artificial when viewed through the lens of our knowledge that it was a change/addition that they made specifically for female Heracross. But if taken on its own terms, I think it’s not too glaring. Like, if Heracross had been designed from the beginning with the heart-shaped horn instead of the prongs, it wouldn’t look as forced. Obviously there’s no rewriting history, but personally I always look at the female horn and think of it as kind of like a shovel — on its own, if separated from the connotation of why it was added, it feels like it’s a body feature that could make physiological sense, because Heracross uses its horn to scoop up and hurl its opponents. The shovel-like tip would be somewhat useful for distributing that weight.

On Mega Scizor sets like in Uber and 1v1, Light Metal lets Mega Scizor switch into Low Kick better and prevents like an opponent like Porygon2 from Tracing Technician, which could power up Hidden Power.
I never got this justification for running Light Metal on Scizor. As the generations have gone by, fewer and fewer viable Pokemon in Ubers are running Low Kick, and the most common user of the move, Blaziken, is not a matchup Scizor will ever want to be up against. I'd still run Technician since Scizor would be able to bluff something like a band set when revenge killing a weakened mon like Xerneas (and not megaing). Is it an extremely niche trick that will almost never work and rarely affect gameplay? Yeah, pretty much, but I'd argue the benefits here are far more potent than the benefits that you'd ever get by running Light Metal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 13)