Little things that make you happy

I've always considered myself a relatively simple person. It doesn't take much to keep me entertained. I'm pretty introverted, and I typically enjoy just keeping to myself, listening to music or something. There are various little things I like to do that make me content.

I made this thread for two reasons. One of them is kinda personal. I have depression, and as is typical of people with it, I have days where I'm just out of it for no reason. Nothing bad happened, and I'm not necessarily sad, just kinda...empty and unmotivated. I've sorta just been in bed all day. On top of that, there's a storm going on where I am, and I don't like storms. So at times like this, something I like to do is light candles. I have one in my room at all times, and whenever I'm sad, scared, or stressed, I light it. It helps calm me down and keeps my mind from going to darker places. Candles are one of those small things that make me happy.

I got to thinking about if other people have similarly little things they enjoy that make them happy, or at least helps them relax. I'm interested in knowing what those things may be.

Here are a couple more from me:
• Nice mugs. I really like when mugs are cute. I don't even have to be drinking anything specific from them. Though in times of stress or sadness, my go to drink is typically hot chocolate. Unfortunately, we have none at the moment. My family has a lot of cool mugs, but I wish I had my own personal one.
• Doodling. I love to draw. Seriously, put a piece of paper and a pencil in front of me, and there's a 99% chance I'll draw on it. Even when I'm feeling particularly unmotivated, drawing is a habit that persists, unless I'm really, REALLY down.
• Listening to music. This is pretty typical, but I listen to music a lot. I'm the kind of person who doesn't like to hear too much things at once. When I'm home, I have a habit of putting my headphones on, even when I'm not listening to music. In school I'd listen to music in the hallways so I wouldn't have to hear everyone around me. It's like an escape.
• Getting my hair done professionally. Not something I do often, since it's expensive and really just a leisure, but I thoroughly believe that getting your hair washed by other people is one of the greatest feelings in the world.

The smell and atmosphere of when it's about to rain / after it's rained.

When the chick at my local coffee shop doesn't need to ask what I want and starts making me an iced-black coffee as soon as I walk in (although one time I went in to buy a coffee for my mom and was like oh well guess I'm buying two coffees)

When I feel like someone is genuinely thanking me for something and not just cause it's the polite thing to do.

And the smell of the ocean.

Last edited:
I am also a bit of an introverted person, but personally, I actually appreciate many things like

• When people talk to me, it makes me feel like i'm a human being and people generally care about me
  • The fact that, even though i'm not in the safest neighborhood, I'm still alive and fortunate to be able to go on vacations and have all the possessions I do because not everyone can afford these things :(
  • Music. Even if i'm not so good at making it, it's a big part of my life and gets me through some stuff irl

Comedy. Whenever I listen to something funny I feel happy, and as if a weight to lifts off my shoulders. This isn't just for the time when I'm listening though. Funny stuff makes me happy for the whole day usually.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Easy-listening music, ginger ale and beef burgers.

Also for my work experience I was working in a nursery school, and I bumped into one of the kids on the street a few days after; they said they missed me and asked when I was coming back. It left me with mixed feelings: on the one hand, I was sad that I couldn't give him an answer, and on the other hand I was happy to discover I'd left a positive impression on him. Does this count as a little thing that makes me happy?

Edit: also large bodies of water

Last edited:
When someone just talks naturally to me and not really judging me i guess. I don't have a lot of friends irl so when someone is like that it kinda helps me open up.

e: Like for example, today I was playing 2-on-2 basketball games against my brother and this older woman in her late 30s / 40s, and afterward she gave me a bunch of tips and showed me what to practice, definitely inspired me to work on my game especially since she's like 40 and super fit.

Also when you have something you're really looking forward to coming up soon, that gives me a fuzzy feeling (i.e YMCA Basketball & Pool Camp tomorrow)

Last edited:

fx

moon tourism
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
- Waking up every day to see that my plants have grown (even if just a tiny bit) !!
- Buying new plants
- Drawing something I'm actually satisfied with
- Buying fun things in general
- Finding out I work with chill people that day
- People saying hi to me
- Finding new yet super good music
!!

- Waking up every day to see that my plants have grown (even if just a tiny bit) !!
- Buying new plants
- Drawing something I'm actually satisfied with
- Buying fun things in general
- Finding out I work with chill people that day
- People saying hi to me
- Finding new yet super good music
!!
I have a garden too! Me and my mom grew a bunch of vegetables this year like lettuce, spinach, peas, radishes, and beets, even better we still have tomatoes, beans, squash, cucumber and melon coming. I agree that it's like a tiny victory when you see them grow a bit or water them or get those pesky weeds out, hmu if u wanna chat :)

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
depending on where you live in the world, right around the time summer starts turning into the fall (aka right about now), the wind and the air around you starts to feel cooler and going out at night you can really feel this and its amazing. being lucky enough to live in canada just the true depth of each of the seasons are enough to make me happy. the sound of melting snow in the late winter / early spring are another thing, or late fall when the dew ices up and makes a crunching sound as you walk on it. love it all.

When I get home after closing at 2am, my cat walks up to me with a yawn and we chill while I watch something and eat some grub.

Baked Cinnamon Apple Tea

Most Outkast songs

Casting Call of the Wild in Hearthstone

Lavos

Banned deucer.
the impermanence of material accumulation

well executed guitar solos

burning churches

cheesecake

these are a few of my favorite things

So I've kinda just been laying back for a while but I want to put my two cents in on some of these.

- Arriving home and finding out that there's pizza to eat.
I think my version of this would be when my dad decides to get McDonald's for dinner because I love that trash. Also Chinese food. I gotta lo mein, it's very important.

depending on where you live in the world, right around the time summer starts turning into the fall (aka right about now), the wind and the air around you starts to feel cooler and going out at night you can really feel this and its amazing. being lucky enough to live in canada just the true depth of each of the seasons are enough to make me happy. the sound of melting snow in the late winter / early spring are another thing, or late fall when the dew ices up and makes a crunching sound as you walk on it. love it all.
I live in Florida so idk what winter is

No but really, I love the fall/winter months as well. But to be honest, I think I like the idea of winter more than winter itself, because I don't actually like being cold (and yeah, there are people who say "Florida doesn't even get that cold" but I get cold easy so whatever.) But I like Halloween and Christmas, my birthday is in January, and I like the things associated with those months, like hot chocolate, candy, the colors and general atmosphere.

Though there are times, particularly in the fall, where the weather is Florida is perfect. The sun is out, but it isn't unbearably hot, and there's a slight breeze. It's a nice feeling, and it definitely makes me happy.

Comedy. Whenever I listen to something funny I feel happy, and as if a weight to lifts off my shoulders. This isn't just for the time when I'm listening though. Funny stuff makes me happy for the whole day usually.
Who or what do you like to listen to?

-Watching a well-written movie with unanticipated themes
-Poking fun of/playfully messing around with friends and family
-When people unexpectedly get somewhat personal in conversation
-Winter holidays; it just feels like everyone's a bit nicer during that time
-Giving advice to others that ask for it
-When being a perfectionist pays off

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)