Little things you like about Pokémon

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
We are used to getting remakes that fit the modern Pokemon Generation in mechanic and arts style to the point that making exactly like the originals will make people mad.
I personally am not mad because after seeing SwSh I didn't expect anything that would satisfy me with those remakes. I made a video listing everything I wanted from the remakes and some stupid flavor stuff out of consistency sake to match a video I did for Gen 3 remakes.
It was made during USUM. So... yeah, I was expecting Megas etc to be in the game.

Didn't age well ;-;
  • Bottle Caps: Instead of a new Bottle Cap, why not just make it so when you turn in a Bottle Cap you're asked how would you like each stat to be changed. Default is always max 31, but you can switch it to 0. That said, I don't think it would be a bad idea to introduced more "common" Bottle Caps below Silver that can be more easily obtained. I'm thinking colored Bottle Caps for each stat: Red-HP, Orange-Atk, Yellow-Def, Blue-SpA, Green-SpD, Pink-Spe.
  • Hidden Power & Unown: Well, it's technically gone now, but I had thought about what would honestly be the best overhaul to the Move. Basically, get rid of the randomness & unchecked "all" Type availability. Instead of any Type based on IVs, Hidden Power should just have the option to copy a Type of another damaging move the Pokemon learns. "What would be the point of that"? Aside from giving it some quality control, plenty of Pokemon do learn Moves of other Types that's either not the right category or too weak, so this Hidden Power would give those moves some purpose. I'd also make other changes with Hidden Power like letting you choose whether its a Special or Physical move. "Wait, what about Unown"? What about Unown? Okay, all being serious, not only should if be given some more Moves (thinking at least all the ones which have "Power" in their (Japanese) name), think it should also have its own Signature Move (Unknown Power, more Unown you have in the party it fixes Unown's stats to a certain stage & also does more damage); Maybe even Signature Ability & Item depending how much GF REALLY wants to make Unown more than a novelty Pokemon).
  • No Backtracking & HMs: Eh, how about "easier backtracking"? It didn't work out as well as GF wanted it to, but one thing they wanted to do was make Mt. Coronet feel like the "hub" of Sinnoh thus you would have to travel through it several times. Unfortunetly how they did it was with HMs meaning by late game you'd need one Pokemon worth of HMs to get through it. I think a better way of doing this would have the inside of Mt. Coronet be under construction and as you go through the game more paths are opened up/created. No need for HMs, anything outside Mt. Coronet which previously needed an HM can be replaced by another roadblock or having a Poke Pager-like service or just exploration tools.
  • More Ice- & Fire-types: Shouldn't be too hard of a task, once again Mt. Coronet would be a good excuse to have both of these Types. Just make side rooms which either go up to a colder part of Mt. Coronet (for Ice-types) or side exits to warmer locations (for Fire-types; BTW Mt. Coronet is based on the many mountain ranges in Hokkaido, many which are actually dormant volcanoes).
  • Difficulty Setting: And don't lock it behind game completion...
  • Regional Variants & Legendaries: With both Let's Go & Isle of Armor, seems like GF's idea to make Regional Variants available is just via trading with someone (for other variant of the same species) or given as a gift. Legendaries they'll come up with some kind of Legendary Hunt idea, whether some get a special location/method is up to GF.
  • Battle Frontier: Fingers crossed.
  • Increase Exp & Catchrate: The Charms cover that.
  • Evo Items As Wild Hold: That and/or during the main game just have one of each available somewhere a player can just pick up. And post game just make them purchasable with BP.
  • Early Eevee(lution): And keep the changes you did where Glaceon evoles via Ice Stone & Leafeon evolves via Leaf Stone. Also think about making Umbroen via Moon Stone, Espeon via Sun Stone, and Sylveon via Dawn Stone. Oh, and this also goes without saying making the Evo Stones available early (wouldn't hurt to have a Stone Seller in Oreburgh).
  • Evo Traders: Alternatively, get rid of Evo Trades and just have Magmar & Electabuzz only needing to hold their Signature Item to evolve.
  • No Everstone Haunter: Instead do a Kadabra nicknamed Geller.
  • In-Game Mythics: This would obviously depend if Pokemon can even be traded into the remakes or not (so wierd this is an actual concern...). If they can, then maybe at least one like, probably Manaphy as to reference Pokemon Ranger (as doubt they'll be making a new Pokemon Ranger). If you can't (or rather you'd only be able to trade between other versions of BDSP and likely Legends), Manaphy & Darkrai for BDSP and Arceus & Shaymin for Legends.
  • Azure Flute: Wouldn't be surprised if any Arceus stuff is instead put in Legends.
  • Regi Ruins: Fingers crossed. Also why include the other Regi if you're then going to suggest you don't need to wake up Regigigas? Either make it so you need them and add them to the game or don't add them and have another method of waking up Regigigas like getting "dolls" of the Regis.
  • Distortion World: Wouldn't be surprised if during the climax of the plot, after beating Cyrus, they have Giratina appear and take it away. Then post game episode will involve going into the Distortion World to really finished by Cyrus's story & capture Giratina (and get the Griseous Orb).
  • Ultra Beasts: We've seen now they're just added to the Legendary Hunt. Wouldn't be surprised if the Legendary Hunt involved travelling through the Distortion World for some reason (maybe make Cyrus decide he'll be the protector of the Distortion World (for purely selfish reasons of course) and get in contact to the player telling them there's a disturbance in the Distortion World he wants resolved (not because he cares, but because he doesn't want anything ruining his ideal world)).
  • Type: Null: I can totally see Team Galactic having had made one of their own, maybe be a way to include Charon.
  • Poipole & Cosmog: Surprised they weren't added to the Legendary Hunt... but I think eventually they will (maybe even give Cosmog and Cosmoem an actual moveset as they're no longer plot mcguffins).
  • Gym Leaders: Not going to really come up with my own idea, all I'm going to say instead is that I stand by they should have the following number of Pokemon: Gym 1-3: 3 Pokemon, Gym 4-7: 4 Pokemon, Gym 8 & Elite Four: 5 Pokemon, Champion has full team. Hard mode wouldn't change that number, instead just give their Pokemon higher levels, better moves, and all holding an Item (maybe swap around some Pokemon).
  • Title Defense: Not sure if Dawn/Lucus would be a Title Defense, they sort of gave up the League Challenge (did they even collect Badges?) to better help the Professor (and NO WAY would they have the other version's mascot Legendary). Though I do like the idea of the "Stat" Trainers being challengers. That said, feel there could be a bit more, like how about Saturn? Make Cynthia's little sister an actual character. If we can't battle Caitlin in the Frontier how about here. Maybe a surprise appearance by a younger Drasna or throw in Kiyo for a HGSS reference.
  • Meloetta: Huh, never thought about giving her the Mega Rayquaza treatment but makes sense. Also wouldn't hurt to just let us decide what form or Meloetta we want to use before the battle begins.
  • Luvdisc: Uh, Luvdisc, umm... yeah, I got nothing. It's main use, grinding for Heart Scales, has even been taken away from it with Relearners teaching moves for free. So maybe have it get a boon from holding a Heart Scale? WAIT, I got it: First, give Baton Pass to Luvdisc. Second, make it so when a Luvdisc is holding a Heart Scale at the end of a turn, it consumes it and gets +1 in every non-HP stat! There, new niche.
  • Castform: Change Forecast so that it (1.) summons the weather of a weather summoning move in Castform's first move slot when sent out and (2.) when it changes forms its Special Attack and Speed increases.
  • Farfetch'd Leek: Didn't realize they changed the name. How about instead of always doing crits, it only has moves with higher Crit ratios always crit (so Slash, Leaf Blade, & Night Slash; maybe give it Psycho Cut?; also maybe make it change Air Cutter into a Physical move)
  • Multi-Attack & Memories Extra: I actually think they should make Multi-Attack into a 60 Power two strike move, I mean it's called Multi-Attack. I also think it should work off the user's highest offense stat (BTW, I also think Judgement should go off the highest offense stat). As for the Memories doing something extra, I've thought of them doing 1.3x extra damage on Pokemon weak against the Type it changed into.
  • Articuno Help: Oh dear *looks at the now superior G-Articuno*. Hmm, well, honestly, I think giving Ice-types more advantages in Hail (like defense increases) and reworking how Freezing works (make it easier to break free so it can be more common) could maybe help not only Articuno but other Ice-types (also give the Bird Trio the weather summoning Abilities: Articuno-Snow Warning, Moltres-Drought, Zapdos-Drizzle).
  • Stealth Rock: Should be capped at 1/4 to Pokemon weak to it, it doesn't even calculate double weakness (to be fair/balance it out, the lowest it can do is 1/16 for Pokemon resistant to it & doesn't count double resistance).
  • Flareon: Why would it get Rock Head? Wouldn't mind Sheer Force instead of Guts though. Would a Fire-types Quick Attack (or Extreme Speed) be out of the question?
  • Swalot: I don't think it stats need buffing but change how Stockpile and the moves that use it works. First, after using Stockpile its counter increases at the end of each turn without needing to select it again (though you won't get the defense increases each time, only if you select it; counter max is still 3). Swallow & Spit Up doesn't remove defense increases.
  • Fearow Ability: Gale Wings?
  • Lunatone & Solrock: Why were they apart from one another? Thankfully Moonlight and Morning Sun has been added to their movepool.
  • Regigigas: I actually think it needs a psuedo form change mechanic. First it starts as "Waking Form" where the gems on its body are black and has Slow Start for 3 turns. After 3 turns it changes to "Awoken Form", looks as it does normally, cures any status ailment it has & resets stats, and more importantly has its Ability changed to Clear Body. That way you don't have to worry about switching it out and starting over again. If it was given a Hidden Ability you know they'd made it Truant...
  • Phione & Carbink: I think both of them should have some mechanic where they can temporarily change into a Manaphy and Diancie, respectively.
  • Black Kyurem: Does it still not get Icicle Crash nor Ice Punch? GF, what are you doing?
  • Plus & Minus: Not sure about Plusle & Minun, though for Plus & Minus I think both of those Abilities need a standalone effect. I say Plus increases any of the user's stat increase by +1, and Minus decreases may of the opposing Pokemon's stat decreases by 1 more. Maybe adjust Plusle & Minun's movepool to reflect that change.
  • Normal Darmanitan: Normal Darmanitan has a problem where above half HP its a Physical attacker and below half it becomes a Special Attacker. And now G-Darmintan complex things by keeping G-Darmanitan Zen a Physical attacker. I can only think of giving Normal Darmanitan a Signature Move where it just has its attacks going off the highest offense stat. Like, I can't even suggest letting you form switch before battle/whenver you want during battle because they made G-Darmanitan Zen Mode too powerful. The only other suggestion I could make is also having Zen Mode stop any damage done to Darmanitan stop at 50% if it's above half HP and then it switches to Zen Mode.

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
  • Title Defense: Not sure if Dawn/Lucus would be a Title Defense, they sort of gave up the League Challenge (did they even collect Badges?) to better help the Professor (and NO WAY would they have the other version's mascot Legendary). Though I do like the idea of the "Stat" Trainers being challengers. That said, feel there could be a bit more, like how about Saturn? Make Cynthia's little sister an actual character. If we can't battle Caitlin in the Frontier how about here. Maybe a surprise appearance by a younger Drasna or throw in Kiyo for a HGSS reference.
Maybe Volkner could be a Title Defense fight? He says he's going to challenge the Pokémon League if the player fails to impress him, so maybe he fights through the E4 so he can battle the player again in the post-game for the thrill?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Maybe Volkner could be a Title Defense fight? He says he's going to challenge the Pokémon League if the player fails to impress him, so maybe he fights through the E4 so he can battle the player again in the post-game for the thrill?
But if they do that that'll probably remove him from the Battleground roster. And unless they make going around to the Gyms again to have rematches easier (like placing the Gym Leader at the entrance so we don't need to go through their entire Gym again) the Battleground was a nice convenient location to have the rematches with the Gym Leaders (yes, I know it was also where the Stat Trainers were also rematched, but I don't feel they were quite as memorable to the Battleground as the Gym Leaders were; even though Buck was technically the owner of it but they could easily change that little factoid. Also they could just replace them with maybe trainers of other Types not represented in the Sinnoh League: Normal, Flying, Poison, Dragon, Dark, & Fairy).

Though speaking Volkner I hope (or had hoped) that they would maybe put a new angle of the whole Volkner subplot. In the original games, you couldn't visit Sunyshore earlier because there wasa power outage. Why was there a power outage? Volkner upgraded the Gym. Why did Volkner upgrade the Gym? Because he was depressed no tough challengers were coming around so started doing other things aside his Gym Leader duties, even starting to think about challenging the Sinnoh League. When you get to Sunyshore, Flint asks you to defeat Volkner so he doesn't.
This always didn't sit quite right. Like, yes, it was bad Volkner wasn't doing his Gym Leader duty... but what gave Flint the right to decide Volkner wasn't good enough to challenge the League? In the end it was Volkner's decision to not go through with the plan, though at the same time it felt like the game was telling us it was a bad thing Volkner wanted to challenge the League.
If I were to redo it, I would change it from just him being bored of facing weak challengers to him actually having tried to challenge the League but was defeated by Cynthia. Now he's in a slump because he feels he's too strong to be a Gym Leader, too weak to be the Champion, and the Elite Four aren't planning to make a roster change. So now he's depressed and just doesn't want to battle, only upgrade and build things... and now the Pokemon League is thinking about firing him or slacking on the job. Flint appears in Sunyshore not to convince Volkner not to challenge the League, but rather out of genuine concern his friend is about to be fired.
Though, personally I would rather they completely rewrote things to remove the depression angle completely as GF aren't going to handle the topic with the finesse that topic should be treated with (having Volkner suddenly get over his depression after being defeated by a strong trainer nowadays looks misguided). Like instead of being depressed or wanting to challenge the League, Volkner instead simply just got bored of being Gym Leader so instead began focusing on building-up Sunyshore. However, since he's still slacking on his Gym Leader duty he's on the cusp of being fired which is when Flint comes in. Volkner isn't sure whether he has the same excitement he had for battling as he does for building, so decides that depending on the results of the battle with the player he'll officially quit or not. And after you defeat him, Volkner feels re-invigorated about battles again so decides to remain Gym Leader.

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
This always didn't sit quite right. Like, yes, it was bad Volkner wasn't doing his Gym Leader duty... but what gave Flint the right to decide Volkner wasn't good enough to challenge the League? In the end it was Volkner's decision to not go through with the plan, though at the same time it felt like the game was telling us it was a bad thing Volkner wanted to challenge the League.
I disagree with this assessment. For one, Flint never explicitly references Volkner's plan to challenge the League, and it wouldn't surprise me if Volkner never told him. From Flint's perspective, Volkner isn't doing much of anything and is beginning to stagnate, so it makes sense for Flint to try and help out his buddy. It seems to me like the game is only saying that Volkner wanting to challenge the League is a bad thing because it's indicative of his growing desperation to find literally anyone who can give him a challenge.
If I were to redo it, I would change it from just him being bored of facing weak challengers to him actually having tried to challenge the League but was defeated by Cynthia. Now he's in a slump because he feels he's too strong to be a Gym Leader, too weak to be the Champion, and the Elite Four aren't planning to make a roster change. So now he's depressed and just doesn't want to battle, only upgrade and build things... and now the Pokemon League is thinking about firing him or slacking on the job. Flint appears in Sunyshore not to convince Volkner not to challenge the League, but rather out of genuine concern his friend is about to be fired.
Here's the thing though: Volkner isn't good enough to beat the League with the team he uses in the Gym battle. He might be able to hold his own against Aaron, but Bertha would stomp him. I really don't see a League challenge from him before he gets his rematch team playing out like this. It's an interesting thought, though.
Though, personally I would rather they completely rewrote things to remove the depression angle completely as GF aren't going to handle the topic with the finesse that topic should be treated with (having Volkner suddenly get over his depression after being defeated by a strong trainer nowadays looks misguided).
I can't see inside the heads of the Japanese men who wrote this character, but I don't think they intended for it to be depression causing him to act so disinterested. I think they wanted it to just be general apathy and boredom motivating Volkner to act the way he does.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
I really like the tiny detail of why Lurantis has Contrary

You see, Lurantis is based on an Orchid Mantis (Pic below)
1615694689582.png

The Orchid Mantis is an insect that chamouflages itself as a flower to be unnoticed by its prey. Lurantis is pretty clearly based on it, with its colour scheme and overall shape looking like the bug. However, Lurantis is not a Bug Type. That is because Lurantis isn't an actual insect, it is a plant that looks like an insect to not get attacked by actual bugs.

Basically, whereas the Praying Mantis is a Bug pretending to be a Flower, Lurantis puts a twist on that, being a Flower pretending to be a Bug, thus being the complete contrary of what an orchid mantis does.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I disagree with this assessment. For one, Flint never explicitly references Volkner's plan to challenge the League, and it wouldn't surprise me if Volkner never told him. From Flint's perspective, Volkner isn't doing much of anything and is beginning to stagnate, so it makes sense for Flint to try and help out his buddy.
Huh, my bad. Probably should have reread the quotes. :facepalm:

Here's the thing though: Volkner isn't good enough to beat the League with the team he uses in the Gym battle. He might be able to hold his own against Aaron, but Bertha would stomp him. I really don't see a League challenge from him before he gets his rematch team playing out like this. It's an interesting thought, though.
Eh, if they wanted Volkner to be Champion he would be Champion his actual in-game team a non-factor. Volkner also had an Octillery in the original DP and a Lanturn in Platinum rematches, plus his Luxray knows Ice Fang. If the player can sweep a Gym with one Pokemon of the right Type or with the one right move, than I think Volkner could too if they're implying he's that good to even be thinking about challenging the League.

• Bottle Caps: Instead of a new Bottle Cap, why not just make it so when you turn in a Bottle Cap you're asked how would you like each stat to be changed. Default is always max 31, but you can switch it to 0. That said, I don't think it would be a bad idea to introduced more "common" Bottle Caps below Silver that can be more easily obtained. I'm thinking colored Bottle Caps for each stat: Red-HP, Orange-Atk, Yellow-Def, Blue-SpA, Green-SpD, Pink-Spe.
  • Hidden Power & Unown: Well, it's technically gone now, but I had thought about what would honestly be the best overhaul to the Move. Basically, get rid of the randomness & unchecked "all" Type availability. Instead of any Type based on IVs, Hidden Power should just have the option to copy a Type of another damaging move the Pokemon learns. "What would be the point of that"? Aside from giving it some quality control, plenty of Pokemon do learn Moves of other Types that's either not the right category or too weak, so this Hidden Power would give those moves some purpose. I'd also make other changes with Hidden Power like letting you choose whether its a Special or Physical move. "Wait, what about Unown"? What about Unown? Okay, all being serious, not only should if be given some more Moves (thinking at least all the ones which have "Power" in their (Japanese) name), think it should also have its own Signature Move (Unknown Power, more Unown you have in the party it fixes Unown's stats to a certain stage & also does more damage); Maybe even Signature Ability & Item depending how much GF REALLY wants to make Unown more than a novelty Pokemon).
  • No Backtracking & HMs: Eh, how about "easier backtracking"? It didn't work out as well as GF wanted it to, but one thing they wanted to do was make Mt. Coronet feel like the "hub" of Sinnoh thus you would have to travel through it several times. Unfortunetly how they did it was with HMs meaning by late game you'd need one Pokemon worth of HMs to get through it. I think a better way of doing this would have the inside of Mt. Coronet be under construction and as you go through the game more paths are opened up/created. No need for HMs, anything outside Mt. Coronet which previously needed an HM can be replaced by another roadblock or having a Poke Pager-like service or just exploration tools.
  • More Ice- & Fire-types: Shouldn't be too hard of a task, once again Mt. Coronet would be a good excuse to have both of these Types. Just make side rooms which either go up to a colder part of Mt. Coronet (for Ice-types) or side exits to warmer locations (for Fire-types; BTW Mt. Coronet is based on the many mountain ranges in Hokkaido, many which are actually dormant volcanoes).
  • Difficulty Setting: And don't lock it behind game completion...
  • Regional Variants & Legendaries: With both Let's Go & Isle of Armor, seems like GF's idea to make Regional Variants available is just via trading with someone (for other variant of the same species) or given as a gift. Legendaries they'll come up with some kind of Legendary Hunt idea, whether some get a special location/method is up to GF.
  • Battle Frontier: Fingers crossed.
  • Increase Exp & Catchrate: The Charms cover that.
  • Evo Items As Wild Hold: That and/or during the main game just have one of each available somewhere a player can just pick up. And post game just make them purchasable with BP.
  • Early Eevee(lution): And keep the changes you did where Glaceon evoles via Ice Stone & Leafeon evolves via Leaf Stone. Also think about making Umbroen via Moon Stone, Espeon via Sun Stone, and Sylveon via Dawn Stone. Oh, and this also goes without saying making the Evo Stones available early (wouldn't hurt to have a Stone Seller in Oreburgh).
  • Evo Traders: Alternatively, get rid of Evo Trades and just have Magmar & Electabuzz only needing to hold their Signature Item to evolve.
  • No Everstone Haunter: Instead do a Kadabra nicknamed Geller.
  • In-Game Mythics: This would obviously depend if Pokemon can even be traded into the remakes or not (so wierd this is an actual concern...). If they can, then maybe at least one like, probably Manaphy as to reference Pokemon Ranger (as doubt they'll be making a new Pokemon Ranger). If you can't (or rather you'd only be able to trade between other versions of BDSP and likely Legends), Manaphy & Darkrai for BDSP and Arceus & Shaymin for Legends.
  • Azure Flute: Wouldn't be surprised if any Arceus stuff is instead put in Legends.
  • Regi Ruins: Fingers crossed. Also why include the other Regi if you're then going to suggest you don't need to wake up Regigigas? Either make it so you need them and add them to the game or don't add them and have another method of waking up Regigigas like getting "dolls" of the Regis.
  • Distortion World: Wouldn't be surprised if during the climax of the plot, after beating Cyrus, they have Giratina appear and take it away. Then post game episode will involve going into the Distortion World to really finished by Cyrus's story & capture Giratina (and get the Griseous Orb).
  • Ultra Beasts: We've seen now they're just added to the Legendary Hunt. Wouldn't be surprised if the Legendary Hunt involved travelling through the Distortion World for some reason (maybe make Cyrus decide he'll be the protector of the Distortion World (for purely selfish reasons of course) and get in contact to the player telling them there's a disturbance in the Distortion World he wants resolved (not because he cares, but because he doesn't want anything ruining his ideal world)).
  • Type: Null: I can totally see Team Galactic having had made one of their own, maybe be a way to include Charon.
  • Poipole & Cosmog: Surprised they weren't added to the Legendary Hunt... but I think eventually they will (maybe even give Cosmog and Cosmoem an actual moveset as they're no longer plot mcguffins).
  • Gym Leaders: Not going to really come up with my own idea, all I'm going to say instead is that I stand by they should have the following number of Pokemon: Gym 1-3: 3 Pokemon, Gym 4-7: 4 Pokemon, Gym 8 & Elite Four: 5 Pokemon, Champion has full team. Hard mode wouldn't change that number, instead just give their Pokemon higher levels, better moves, and all holding an Item (maybe swap around some Pokemon).
  • Meloetta: Huh, never thought about giving her the Mega Rayquaza treatment but makes sense. Also wouldn't hurt to just let us decide what form or Meloetta we want to use before the battle begins.
  • Luvdisc: Uh, Luvdisc, umm... yeah, I got nothing. It's main use, grinding for Heart Scales, has even been taken away from it with Relearners teaching moves for free. So maybe have it get a boon from holding a Heart Scale? WAIT, I got it: First, give Baton Pass to Luvdisc. Second, make it so when a Luvdisc is holding a Heart Scale at the end of a turn, it consumes it and gets +1 in every non-HP stat! There, new niche.
  • Castform: Change Forecast so that it (1.) summons the weather of a weather summoning move in Castform's first move slot when sent out and (2.) when it changes forms its Special Attack and Speed increases.
  • Farfetch'd Leek: Didn't realize they changed the name. How about instead of always doing crits, it only has moves with higher Crit ratios always crit (so Slash, Leaf Blade, & Night Slash; maybe give it Psycho Cut?; also maybe make it change Air Cutter into a Physical move)
  • Multi-Attack & Memories Extra: I actually think they should make Multi-Attack into a 60 Power two strike move, I mean it's called Multi-Attack. I also think it should work off the user's highest offense stat (BTW, I also think Judgement should go off the highest offense stat). As for the Memories doing something extra, I've thought of them doing 1.3x extra damage on Pokemon weak against the Type it changed into.
  • Articuno Help: Oh dear *looks at the now superior G-Articuno*. Hmm, well, honestly, I think giving Ice-types more advantages in Hail (like defense increases) and reworking how Freezing works (make it easier to break free so it can be more common) could maybe help not only Articuno but other Ice-types (also give the Bird Trio the weather summoning Abilities: Articuno-Snow Warning, Moltres-Drought, Zapdos-Drizzle).
  • Stealth Rock: Should be capped at 1/4 to Pokemon weak to it, it doesn't even calculate double weakness (to be fair/balance it out, the lowest it can do is 1/16 for Pokemon resistant to it & doesn't count double resistance).
  • Flareon: Why would it get Rock Head? Wouldn't mind Sheer Force instead of Guts though. Would a Fire-types Quick Attack (or Extreme Speed) be out of the question?
  • Swalot: I don't think it stats need buffing but change how Stockpile and the moves that use it works. First, after using Stockpile its counter increases at the end of each turn without needing to select it again (though you won't get the defense increases each time, only if you select it; counter max is still 3). Swallow & Spit Up doesn't remove defense increases.
  • Fearow Ability: Gale Wings?
  • Lunatone & Solrock: Why were they apart from one another? Thankfully Moonlight and Morning Sun has been added to their movepool.
  • Regigigas: I actually think it needs a psuedo form change mechanic. First it starts as "Waking Form" where the gems on its body are black and has Slow Start for 3 turns. After 3 turns it changes to "Awoken Form", looks as it does normally, cures any status ailment it has & resets stats, and more importantly has its Ability changed to Clear Body. That way you don't have to worry about switching it out and starting over again. If it was given a Hidden Ability you know they'd made it Truant...
  • Phione & Carbink: I think both of them should have some mechanic where they can temporarily change into a Manaphy and Diancie, respectively.
  • Black Kyurem: Does it still not get Icicle Crash nor Ice Punch? GF, what are you doing?
  • Plus & Minus: Not sure about Plusle & Minun, though for Plus & Minus I think both of those Abilities need a standalone effect. I say Plus increases any of the user's stat increase by +1, and Minus decreases may of the opposing Pokemon's stat decreases by 1 more. Maybe adjust Plusle & Minun's movepool to reflect that change.
  • Normal Darmanitan: Normal Darmanitan has a problem where above half HP its a Physical attacker and below half it becomes a Special Attacker. And now G-Darmintan complex things by keeping G-Darmanitan Zen a Physical attacker. I can only think of giving Normal Darmanitan a Signature Move where it just has its attacks going off the highest offense stat. Like, I can't even suggest letting you form switch before battle/whenver you want during battle because they made G-Darmanitan Zen Mode too powerful. The only other suggestion I could make is also having Zen Mode stop any damage done to Darmanitan stop at 50% if it's above half HP and then it switches to Zen Mode.
like I said, this was done during the USUM era thus some of the issues like Black Kyurem's movepool, Lunatone, Solrock, Stealth Rock, Multi-Attack etc got fixed. And I changed my mind on some of the things in the list.
Unown really needs the Zygarde Treatment IMO. It has 2 ability slots that can be used and new attacks be discovered in Sinnoh wouldn't be anything surprising.
As for Farfetch'd, he really deserves it's original evolution back. I was really annoyed that Sirfetch'd was Galarian evolution. Wouldn't it make sense for a normal Pokemon to get a region specific evolution too?
Madame would really fit to Galar but there is no point in complaining.

As for Dawn and Lucas defense, they could have just be motivated to try out the gym challenge or something. But really doesn't matter now.

Remoraid and Octillery’s gun and tank motifs were definitely more explicit in the demo, but they still remain in the finished versions — their movepools are infamously full of an amazing variety of projectile moves, their shapes still kind of evoke it, there’s that one anime in-universe movie where a sheriff snorlax uses two remoraids as pistols...

They toned it down a lot (probably forunsuspecting parents to not notice), but it’s still there

Remoraid and Octillery’s gun and tank motifs were definitely more explicit in the demo, but they still remain in the finished versions — their movepools are infamously full of an amazing variety of projectile moves, their shapes still kind of evoke it, there’s that one anime in-universe movie where a sheriff snorlax uses two remoraids as pistols...

They toned it down a lot (probably forunsuspecting parents to not notice), but it’s still there
I believe there's also that Mantine is occasionally shown with Remoraids attached on the underside of the wings, where you might expect to see weapon emplacements on aircraft.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I think it's fascinating that people wanted a gun Pokemon or make parodies about future generations having a gun as a Pokemon, but then you look back to Pokemon Spaceworld 97 Demo of Pokemon Gold and realize Remoraid suppose to be a literal gun fish.
Similary Octillary's name already gives away what it suppose to be ._.
I believe there's also that Mantine is occasionally shown with Remoraids attached on the underside of the wings, where you might expect to see weapon emplacements on aircraft.
Yeah that’s definitely why Remoraid has that symbiotic relationship with Mantine, and is also Dreepy’s relationship with Dragapult. Or I mean, Dreepy are more so the missiles themselves where Remoraid fires the missiles, but all these “Pokémon Gun” memers seemed to not only miss that Remoraid already is one, but that Dreepy is a modern version of it.

And hell, Turtonator and Qwilfish are both mines (one land, one sea), and Stunfisk-Galar is very explicitly a bear trap. Modern weaponry has been used as the inspiration for a few Pokémon designs.

If we get a barbed wire Pokémon it might end up being one of my favourites haha.

Edit for a cheeky wishlist: Regional variant Tangela and Tangrowth as a probably mono-Steel or Steel/Dark tangled mess of barbed wire is currently what I need from life now that I’ve thought of it.

Last edited:
I'm trying to get Shiny Charm in Gen VII before Pokemon Showdown's Shiny Fest next month, and I like how the Alola Pokedex is split into sections, because it makes the daunting task of completely filling it feel like four smaller tasks, as well as the comments from Rotom itself (Even though the "It's like we're playing bingo here!" when finishing a page makes me think of that old "Ooh baby a triple!" meme, especially when it's a three-strage evolution line)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Ice on pretty much every special attacking Electric-type, Fire on Magnezone and many Grass-types, Fighting on Porygon-Z, Ground on Fairy-types... some of these are on sample sets on Smogon. Also, without Hidden Power, Roserade doesn't have much to use Technician for.
  • Hmm, I'm guessing Electric-types want Ice for Ground? Sadly not a lot of Electric-types learn an Ice-type move (or Water nor Grass, I thought Solar Beam was widely distributed to even them but guess not).
  • No Fire move on Magnezone, but it would get HP Fighting & Rock.
  • Similar situation with Electric that Grass have for Fire, though if Grass want Fire for Ice & Steel there's a chance they learn maybe at least one Fighting-type move, possibly Ground & Rock as well being the more "nature" Type.
  • Porygon-Z doesn't get a Fighting move (not even Focus Blast, strange), though it could get a decent HP Steel or Flying.
  • Not a lot of Ground opportunities for Fairy which I guess they'd want for Steel (and Poison, though Fairies usually get Psychic moves), and not as many opportunities for Fighting either.
  • Roserade would get HP for Poison, Bug, Fairy, Ghost, Psychic, & Ground to work with Technician.
Alright, so there's obviously going to be a batch of losers when it comes to my idea. But then again, my point was to limit the wide coverage to not only more define the Pokemon's role but make you think about possible teammates they'd now need. And, even if they can't get their ideal Hidden Power, that doesn't mean they can't get a HP of another coverage.

Bull Of Heaven

99 Pounders / 4'3" Feet
is a Pre-Contributor
It's been a long time since I played Colosseum, but I think I remember Remoraid's lower fin moving like the trigger of a gun when it attacks in that game.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
  • Hmm, I'm guessing Electric-types want Ice for Ground? Sadly not a lot of Electric-types learn an Ice-type move (or Water nor Grass, I thought Solar Beam was widely distributed to even them but guess not).
  • No Fire move on Magnezone, but it would get HP Fighting & Rock.
  • Similar situation with Electric that Grass have for Fire, though if Grass want Fire for Ice & Steel there's a chance they learn maybe at least one Fighting-type move, possibly Ground & Rock as well being the more "nature" Type.
  • Porygon-Z doesn't get a Fighting move (not even Focus Blast, strange), though it could get a decent HP Steel or Flying.
  • Not a lot of Ground opportunities for Fairy which I guess they'd want for Steel (and Poison, though Fairies usually get Psychic moves), and not as many opportunities for Fighting either.
  • Roserade would get HP for Poison, Bug, Fairy, Ghost, Psychic, & Ground to work with Technician.
Alright, so there's obviously going to be a batch of losers when it comes to my idea. But then again, my point was to limit the wide coverage to not only more define the Pokemon's role but make you think about possible teammates they'd now need. And, even if they can't get their ideal Hidden Power, that doesn't mean they can't get a HP of another coverage.
I think you're completely missing the point, which is that Hidden Power was already a pretty bad move that was only used in desperate situations. Sure, Electric-Type Pokémon commonly used HP Ice for Ground-Type opponents, but the vast majority of them would prefer Grass Knot or Surf like Raichu could use. The type that by far used Hidden Power the most was the Grass-Type, specifically pure Grass-Type Pokémon, because pure Grass-Type Pokémon don't receive coverage most of the time and legitimately are stuck with exclusively Grass- and Normal-Type moves (Pollen Puff has now been introduced to give Bug-Type coverage to some of them, but Bug- and Grass-Type have terrible neutral coverage in the first place). Porygon-Z was again stuck with HP Fighting because it has nothing for Rock- or Steel-Type Pokémon without it; in Gen III most Ghost-Type Pokémon also used HP Fighting for Normal- and Dark-Type opponents because they had no other moves to even hit them neutrally with for considerable damage.

Hidden Power existed as an easy way for competitive Pokémon battlers to fill in the gaps that Game Freak themselves left by not properly conceptualising the movesets of Pokémon. Now that it's gone, Pokémon like Lilligant and Manectric have sorely missed out, because Game Freak didn't bother to say "wow, both of these use HP Ice in literally every battle they've ever been used in. Let's just give them Icy Wind because a bunch of weird Pokémon can learn that, and it's still a weak move that is only used for coverage purposes". Hidden Power was only 70 BP at its peak and 60 BP later on; its sole use was to his super-effectively opponents who resisted a Pokémon's STAB attack, because this is the same BP as Shock Wave or Mud Bomb, which are terrible moves. It didn't make any Pokémon that good, it just made them less bad.

HIdden Power being removed isn't a problem in its own right, but having no provisions put in place to patch up the hole left is a problem.

I think you're completely missing the point, which is that Hidden Power was already a pretty bad move that was only used in desperate situations. Sure, Electric-Type Pokémon commonly used HP Ice for Ground-Type opponents, but the vast majority of them would prefer Grass Knot or Surf like Raichu could use. The type that by far used Hidden Power the most was the Grass-Type, specifically pure Grass-Type Pokémon, because pure Grass-Type Pokémon don't receive coverage most of the time and legitimately are stuck with exclusively Grass- and Normal-Type moves (Pollen Puff has now been introduced to give Bug-Type coverage to some of them, but Bug- and Grass-Type have terrible neutral coverage in the first place). Porygon-Z was again stuck with HP Fighting because it has nothing for Rock- or Steel-Type Pokémon without it; in Gen III most Ghost-Type Pokémon also used HP Fighting for Normal- and Dark-Type opponents because they had no other moves to even hit them neutrally with for considerable damage.

Hidden Power existed as an easy way for competitive Pokémon battlers to fill in the gaps that Game Freak themselves left by not properly conceptualising the movesets of Pokémon. Now that it's gone, Pokémon like Lilligant and Manectric have sorely missed out, because Game Freak didn't bother to say "wow, both of these use HP Ice in literally every battle they've ever been used in. Let's just give them Icy Wind because a bunch of weird Pokémon can learn that, and it's still a weak move that is only used for coverage purposes". Hidden Power was only 70 BP at its peak and 60 BP later on; its sole use was to his super-effectively opponents who resisted a Pokémon's STAB attack, because this is the same BP as Shock Wave or Mud Bomb, which are terrible moves. It didn't make any Pokémon that good, it just made them less bad.

HIdden Power being removed isn't a problem in its own right, but having no provisions put in place to patch up the hole left is a problem.
Electric types also felt the double-whammy of losing Signal Beam as well, which would have at least allowed them to hit Grass types super-effectively.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 10)