Little things you like about Pokémon

Incineroar is Fire/Dark. Decidueye is Grass/Ghost. Primarina is Water/Fairy. What do all of these Pokemon have in common?

All of their secondary types are super effective against Ultra Necrozma, which makes this fight just a bit easier. Unfortunately, this didn't help the difficulty at all. Small little thing I realized earlier today, and felt dumb for not seeing it sooner.

Incineroar is Fire/Dark. Decidueye is Grass/Ghost. Primarina is Water/Fairy. What do all of these Pokemon have in common?

All of their secondary types are super effective against Ultra Necrozma, which makes this fight just a bit easier. Unfortunately, this didn't help the difficulty at all. Small little thing I realized earlier today, and felt dumb for not seeing it sooner.
Almost reverse with Kalos starters and Yveltal and Xerneas: None of their secondary types are Super Effective against them, and they're all weak to atleast one of the duo. Meanwhile Zygarde is neutral to all of their typings period.

Not necessarily as interesting as yours, but considering Kalos has the most interesting type trio (imo) I wanted to see how it interacted with their box legends

Almost reverse with Kalos starters and Yveltal and Xerneas: None of their secondary types are Super Effective against them, and they're all weak to atleast one of the duo. Meanwhile Zygarde is neutral to all of their typings period.

Not necessarily as interesting as yours, but considering Kalos has the most interesting type trio (imo) I wanted to see how it interacted with their box legends
I think that's pretty cool too. But honestly the roles should've been reversed (kind of). Having the ultimate "final" boss of USUM resist all of the typings of each and every one of the starters would be pretty cool, and the Kalos starters having super-effective moves on Xerneas/Yveltal would've been nice for catching them. I mean, Ultra Necrozma would've been even more fun if it was even more powerful. And was actually a final boss. In comparison everything else is underwhelming.

I actually like that Whitney and Clair show actual emotion about losing, and they don't do the same "Aha, you have bested me! Here is your Badge and your TM, you future Champion, you!" that most other Gym Leaders do.

There are other nice character bits--Flannery being unsure of how to present herself, Jasmine being shy, Blue maintaining his same cocksure manner even after being humbled three years earlier--but those two in particular really speak to me.

I actually like that Whitney and Clair show actual emotion about losing, and they don't do the same "Aha, you have bested me! Here is your Badge and your TM, you future Champion, you!" that most other Gym Leaders do.

There are other nice character bits--Flannery being unsure of how to present herself, Jasmine being shy, Blue maintaining his same cocksure manner even after being humbled three years earlier--but those two in particular really speak to me.
I'm a big fan of Raihan taking a selfie after losing

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Fun fact, the first time I played Crystal I didn't realise Whitney hadn't given me the badge and wandered around Goldenrod for a couple of days before idly visiting the gym again and speaking to her a second time.

Wonder if I wasn't the only one to make that mistake, because HGSS stops you from leaving the gym until you've spoken to her and collected the badge.

Fun fact, the first time I played Crystal I didn't realise Whitney hadn't given me the badge and wandered around Goldenrod for a couple of days before idly visiting the gym again and speaking to her a second time.

Wonder if I wasn't the only one to make that mistake, because HGSS stops you from leaving the gym until you've spoken to her and collected the badge.
It was added in Crystal, I believe, and then kept in HGSS.

QuentinQuonce

It was added in Crystal, I believe, and then kept in HGSS.
Couldn't have been. As I said, I definitely did this in Crystal; I didn't play Gold or Silver until the Virtual Console release a few years back.

Bulbapedia concurs that you can leave the gym without acquiring the Plain Badge, even in HGSS (though frustratingly doesn't say how to do it). You can't white out from poison in Gen IV or use an Escape Rope in a gym so I'm not sure how you'd manage that. We need a testing thread for weird scenarios like this...

Couldn't have been. As I said, I definitely did this in Crystal; I didn't play Gold or Silver until the Virtual Console release a few years back.

Bulbapedia concurs that you can leave the gym without acquiring the Plain Badge, even in HGSS (though frustratingly doesn't say how to do it). You can't white out from poison in Gen IV or use an Escape Rope in a gym so I'm not sure how you'd manage that. We need a testing thread for weird scenarios like this...
Double checking the article & a LP of crystal, the Lass definitely stops you if you try to leave in both games so I'm really curious how you lefti n a way that bypassed the lass while also not knowing you had the badge.

Whenever I played the Johto games, I never paid much attention to the dialogue. I just assumed I had gotten the Badge automatically after beating Whitney, so I always got surprised when the lass stopped me and told me to go back and get the Badge from miss crybaby. Also, the name of the lass seems to have changed from Bridget in G/S/C to Cathy in HG/SS for some unknown reason. Or maybe they just changed to a different lass.

Speaking of Whitney, I like how the maze in her Gym is shaped like a Clefairy. I never noticed this when I played G/S/C since it is hard to see when you don't get a complete overview of the interior of the building. I only learned about it at a later point. It makes a lot of sense since Whitney uses a Clefairy as her first Pokémon.

I have been battling more at the Emerald Battle Frontier, and another thing I like about it is how it always shows the Battle Frontier symbol before every battle. As if that wasn't enough, there are also many different variations for how the symbol is shown. That's really cool.

I like how, starting with Gen 4, things like Pokémon names and moves are no longer written in full capitalization in the games. In Gen 4, only the Pokémon names were fully capitalized while things like moves were written normally. While this could feel a bit awkward if you looked at it too closely, I still think it was an improvement over how it was in Gen 1-3. Then in Gen 5 and on, they finally did everything right as Pokémon names were not fully capitalized anymore either. I really approve of this since it looks a lot better and more natural this way.

On a similar note, another change Gen 5 did that I like is that if you transfer a Pokémon with an all-caps name from Gen 4, it will not keep that upon evolving. For instance, a TORCHIC from Gen 4 will evolve into a Combusken in Gen 5. Another similar thing I like is how if you evolve a Pokémon which originated from a game with a different language, it will change its name to the language of your game upon evolving. If I am playing an English version of the game and get a ワシボン (Rufflet) originating from a Japanese game, it will evolve into a Braviary and not a ウォーグル. So that is really great. Not sure when this started but I saw it for the first time in Gen 5 at least. However, I have heard that this was apparently removed in one of the recent generations, and I do not approve of that.

One more minor and spoiler-free thing from Legends Arceus. I like how the sound of the Celestica Flute is the sound effect which was used on the menu in D/P, and in the beginning of the intro in D/P/P. Don't know if they kept it for BD/SP as well. I recognized it immediately after hearing it for the first time in Legends and it was so cool.

Next, a positive thing... which is also negative? I'm not really sure. Anyway, I feel that after playing Legends: Arceus, I have started to appreciate Sword a lot more. While there are a lot of things I like about Legends, I definitely prefer playing a game with the traditional battle system. Sword also felt more new and gave me more of a "WOW!"-feeling which I didn't really get from Legends. It might not have tried as hard as Legends, but that's okay since it did not fail as hard either. I have somehow started to miss Sword recently, haven't played it at all for half a year now. The 200+ hours I put into it were really fun and I'm looking forward to returning to it later this year...

Last edited:
Another similar thing I like is how if you evolve a Pokémon which originated from a game with a different language, it will change its name to the language of your game upon evolving. If I am playing an English version of the game and get a ワシボン originating from a Japanese game, it will evolve into a Braviary and not a ウォーグル. So that is really great. Not sure when this started but I saw it for the first time in Gen 5 at least. However, I have heard that this was apparently removed in one of the recent generations, and I do not approve of that.
If it's true that a Pokemon's name will stay in their native language upon evolution, I actually really like that. It helps to give that Pokemon a sense of history. Like, that Braviary of yours isn't just any Braviary. It came from a whole dang other country that speaks a different language, and that's cool.

If it's true that a Pokemon's name will stay in their native language upon evolution, I actually really like that. It helps to give that Pokemon a sense of history. Like, that Braviary of yours isn't just any Braviary. It came from a whole dang other country that speaks a different language, and that's cool.
yeah I believe this is right and I agree, I want the japanese pokemon to keep their japanese name. It makes it stand out without needing to rely on the language mark.
I remember always feeling bummed when it happened in earlier games

Two more things about HGSS as I continue my playthrough:

For one, the level of detail put into follower interactions. Damn near every location I've seen so far seems to have multiple specific reactions. Your mons sniff at the smell of smoke from the Charcoal Kiln, gaze up at the Goldenrod Department Store, and panic thinking you've disappeared as you face Morty.

And speaking of Morty...having just beaten him, I get a call from one of the randos I registered...and he's all like, "You beat him! Congrats! I wanted to come into the Gym and cheer you on but I got spooked and ran home!" It's so sweet.

Bull Of Heaven

99 Pounders / 4'3" Feet
is a Pre-Contributor
One more minor and spoiler-free thing from Legends Arceus. I like how the sound of the Celestica Flute is the sound effect which was used on the menu in D/P, and in the beginning of the intro in D/P/P. Don't know if they kept it for BD/SP as well. I recognized it immediately after hearing it for the first time in Legends and it was so cool.
I believe the Azure Flute would also have made this sound in DPP if they had ever released it.

To each their own. I definitely prefer the way it was handled in Gen 5, I like having all Pokémon names in the same language as the game I am playing.
It did. The event was full coded in Gen IV so it was easy to just hack the Azure Flute into your inventory with something like an Action Replay DS/DSi, so you can easily find videos of the unused event online.
Yeah, I watched a video to confirm this... despite doing the Azure Flute event in my D/P/P games last year, I couldn't remember if it used that sound. But it did.

How did I do the Azure Flute event though? As Nokocchi posted, you can use an Action Replay, but it isn't the only way. I used the Wi-Fi exploit instead, which is a bit more "legit" (though not really, but it does at least not require a cheating device). So let's talk about that. I have wanted to post about this somewhere here on the forums for a very long time but I never did so in the past because I wasn't sure if it would be allowed, but now I don't care anymore.

Using the Wi-Fi exploit to Inject Wondercards into my Gen 4-5 games was a lot of fun. It allowed me to get events I missed out on in the past, or to get some that were never officially released at all. I got the Member Card and Oak's Letter in D/P, which allowed me to catch Darkrai/Shaymin and unlock Newmoon Island/Flower Paradise, making the Sinnoh map finally feel complete. Getting the Azure Flute on all Sinnoh games was great too, letting me catch Arceus long before doing it again in Legends. I am also happy that I was finally able to get all Wondercards on my second copy of Platinum, allowing me to get everything there. And since I decided to RNG abuse most of the Pokémon I got, getting the events on my second Platinum allowed me to get a shiny Darkrai, Shaymin and Arceus with good Natures and Flawless IVs, and with my own OT/ID! Which is really cool.

I could also get the Engima Stone on HeartGold (had already gotten it on SoulSilver in the past), allowing me to catch Latios there. Getting an Arceus from the Hall of Origin in D/P/P and then trading it to HG/SS also allowed me to do the Sinjoh Ruins event a second time, thus letting me get a second member of the Creation Trio in HG/SS, which was really cool. There were also many other neat events like a shiny Milotic and at least one event for every mythical Pokémon that existed in Gen 4, though those were obtained directly and not through an in-game event which required an item. But that's still okay for me.

Gen 5 didn't have quite as many events as Gen 4, but there were still some I was very happy about finally getting. Notably the Liberty Ticket, which I had previously gotten on Black but not on White as I didn't get White until the distribution for it was over. But now I finally got to catch Victini on White as well! I also got Meloetta on all my Gen 5 games as well as Genesect on White 2, which I had missed out on (like with the Liberty Ticket on White, I didn't get White 2 until after the Genesect event was over). There were some other cool events too like a Mewtwo and shiny versions of the Creation Trio.

Overall, it was really fun and it is something that kept my interest in Pokémon alive during last year. This really left me... In Wonder. Can highly recommend it for anyone who hasn't done it... if you can get it to work. And if it still works. I can't post links but everything can be found on the internet if you just search a little. Or just send me a PM.

One more minor thing, completely unrelated to the above. In the Unova games, there's a Hiker on Route 7 who wants to trade. In B/W, he gives you an Emolga if you give him a Boldore. In B2/W2, he now gives you a Gigalith if you give him an Emolga. I think that was really sweet and it is one of the many minor things B2/W2 did that captured the "sequel" feeling incredibly well.

QuentinQuonce

How did I do the Azure Flute event though? As Nokocchi posted, you can use an Action Replay, but it isn't the only way. I used the Wi-Fi exploit instead, which is a bit more "legit" (though not really, but it does at least not require a cheating device). So let's talk about that. I have wanted to post about this somewhere here on the forums for a very long time but I never did so in the past because I wasn't sure if it would be allowed, but now I don't care anymore.

Using the Wi-Fi exploit to Inject Wondercards into my Gen 4-5 games was a lot of fun. It allowed me to get events I missed out on in the past, or to get some that were never officially released at all. I got the Member Card and Oak's Letter in D/P, which allowed me to catch Darkrai/Shaymin and unlock Newmoon Island/Flower Paradise, making the Sinnoh map finally feel complete. Getting the Azure Flute on all Sinnoh games was great too, letting me catch Arceus long before doing it again in Legends. I am also happy that I was finally able to get all Wondercards on my second copy of Platinum, allowing me to get everything there. And since I decided to RNG abuse most of the Pokémon I got, getting the events on my second Platinum allowed me to get a shiny Darkrai, Shaymin and Arceus with good Natures and Flawless IVs, and with my own OT/ID! Which is really cool.
I've been doing the same thing for Gen IV and V games and it makes them feel so much more enjoyable to replay since you're really able to get the full experience, especially in Platinum where you can use all of Rotom's forms in-game. People have even set up GTS servers too which has been a lot of fun - I never got to use it back in the day so it's cool to be able to make full use of it now.

One more minor thing, completely unrelated to the above. In the Unova games, there's a Hiker on Route 7 who wants to trade. In B/W, he gives you an Emolga if you give him a Boldore. In B2/W2, he now gives you a Gigalith if you give him an Emolga. I think that was really sweet and it is one of the many minor things B2/W2 did that captured the "sequel" feeling incredibly well.
Part of me really wishes they'd made it so that if you used Memory Link and had performed the trade in BW, the Gigalith would have the OT and ID number of the BW player. But maybe that'd have been too difficult to program, idk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)