Little things you like about Pokémon

These kinds of videos are occasionally an interesting watch, even if just for entertainment purposes; this particular one is no different, showcasing various facts/features, half of which are either known, tidbits from the games' code, or just hilarious side effects of slightly cheating a certain part of the game. And then....

4:47 was one of the ULTIMATE :pika: moments I've ever had about this set of games. Such an insanely obscurely hidden thing is simply...I have no words, it blew my mind. And yes, trying it out in-game myself, it actually works!

1666445080636.png

This comment on the video's comment section also reveals that there's in fact MORE of these hidden rooms, in all of the chambers in fact! Move aside, Regis; your gimmick has already had a precedent. And unlike their braille, this one is possibly even more obscure to figure out!!

I'm really surprised you didn't know about those? They were one of the features of the Ruins of Alph and Crystal(/HGSS)'s big change ws changing the contents of the room to have better items and descriptions on the floor. You inspect the plate in the back and it gives the hint.

shadowpea

everyone is lonely sometimes
is a Tiering Contributor
i like how gf inverted the types for the necrozma formes compared to solgaleo/lunala. its just really fitting and is a bit of flavor that i love, given necrozma absorbed solgaleo or lunala. it might've been (hell, probably have been) unintentional because necrozma is pure psychic so its formes should be primary psychic too (whereas solgaleo/lunala are primary steel and ghost, respectively), but i like it nonetheless.

i like how gf inverted the types for the necrozma formes compared to solgaleo/lunala. its just really fitting and is a bit of flavor that i love, given necrozma absorbed solgaleo or lunala. it might've been (hell, probably have been) unintentional because necrozma is pure psychic so its formes should be primary psychic too (whereas solgaleo/lunala are primary steel and ghost, respectively), but i like it nonetheless.
They aren't inverted. All of them have Psychic as their primary typing.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
They aren't inverted. All of them have Psychic as their primary typing.
ok so it is

time to head to the "little things you dislike about pokemon" thread
While not Psychic-types, this does remind me something interesting I found about the Dual-type Dragon-type Legendaries.

Since we have quite a few, it's interesting to see which ones had Dragon as their primary Type and which as their secondary:

Primary: Latios, Latias, Rayquaza, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Zygarde
Secondary: Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Guzzlord*, Ultra Necrozma*, Naganadel*, Eternatus
* Technically Ultra Beasts aren't Legendary but close enough.

Now the most immediate theme I noticed between them is that all the Primary Types had more or less a connection with the Pokemon World while the Secondary Types all were celestial or interdimensional. Now this does make a bit more sense when you know that GameFreak relates space stuff with the Dragon-type, but still that seems to imply that the Dragon-typing of the Secondary Types isn't because they has aspects of typical dragons like the Primary Types but rather because of their space theme. And looking at them they certainly don't fit the normal molds of dragons: Dialga looks more like a quadruped dinosaur, Palkia is the closest to looking like a dragon though its obscured by its space aesthetics, Giratina looks like a centipede demon dinosaur, their Origin Formes has Dialga & Palkia trying to look like Arceus while Giratina becomes with tentacled serpent, Guzzlord is a giant mouth, Ultra Necrozma looks like a dragon but a lot of its body is made of light which also makes it hard to see, Naganadel is more akin to a queen bee/wasp, and finally Eternatus is a dragon-resembling skeleton which turns into a giant hand with serpent fingers (I guess you could varguely relate to a hydra).

Even though they're just positioning of the Types and it doesn't matter what order they're in, it is nice to see GF putting the extra bit of thought of how the Dragon-typing relates to the Pokemon and when it should be something up-and-center or supporting a greater theme.

While not Psychic-types, this does remind me something interesting I found about the Dual-type Dragon-type Legendaries.

Since we have quite a few, it's interesting to see which ones had Dragon as their primary Type and which as their secondary:

Primary: Latios, Latias, Rayquaza, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Zygarde
Secondary: Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Guzzlord*, Ultra Necrozma*, Naganadel*, Eternatus
* Technically Ultra Beasts aren't Legendary but close enough.

Now the most immediate theme I noticed between them is that all the Primary Types had more or less a connection with the Pokemon World while the Secondary Types all were celestial or interdimensional. Now this does make a bit more sense when you know that GameFreak relates space stuff with the Dragon-type, but still that seems to imply that the Dragon-typing of the Secondary Types isn't because they has aspects of typical dragons like the Primary Types but rather because of their space theme. And looking at them they certainly don't fit the normal molds of dragons: Dialga looks more like a quadruped dinosaur, Palkia is the closest to looking like a dragon though its obscured by its space aesthetics, Giratina looks like a centipede demon dinosaur, their Origin Formes has Dialga & Palkia trying to look like Arceus while Giratina becomes with tentacled serpent, Guzzlord is a giant mouth, Ultra Necrozma looks like a dragon but a lot of its body is made of light which also makes it hard to see, Naganadel is more akin to a queen bee/wasp, and finally Eternatus is a dragon-resembling skeleton which turns into a giant hand with serpent fingers (I guess you could varguely relate to a hydra).

Even though they're just positioning of the Types and it doesn't matter what order they're in, it is nice to see GF putting the extra bit of thought of how the Dragon-typing relates to the Pokemon and when it should be something up-and-center or supporting a greater theme.
It's probably worth noting that Necrozma-Ultra and Naganadel are variants of forms/mons that are not Dragon, and similarly Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem are all lorewise derived from a single Dragon source.

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
So in Pokémon Rumble World, you have to pay 5 gems to attach a Mega Stone or Red/Blue Orb to each of the Pokémon you want it attached to

but Mega Rayquaza is free! Most of the time you obtain Rayquaza, it already comes in full package with Dragon Ascent!

There is a twist however... it is probably also the single worst mega evolution in the game. Spamming Dragon Ascent in an action RPG where you're constantly surrounded by many other Pokémon does Rayquaza significant harm. The Pokémon can die incredibly fast afterwards when you use it and I consider its mega evolution nigh unusable because of this.

Edit: Ironically enough, Mega Audino is my best mega and my best Pokémon in this entire game. Even beyond the likes of all my Arceus, Mega Mewtwos, and Dialga! I was extremely fortunate to get one with an Epic Trait - which gave it six abilities, including some crazy busted ones.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
The WLW energy radiating from this season, especially in the climax arc, is absolutely beautiful and I am loving it!
And it's all around a male character defeating another male character. :blobnom: (I'm kidding around, though for me it is kind of muddled to say Journey's is full on "sapphic rights" when the focus is on Ash vs Leon; both pretty much asexual cause their only love is battling)

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
And it's all around a male character defeating another male character. :blobnom: (I'm kidding around, though for me it is kind of muddled to say Journey's is full on "sapphic rights" when the focus is on Ash vs Leon; both pretty much asexual cause their only love is battling)
God you've just reminded me of the early days of Journeys when people were genuinely posting stuff on social media to the effect of "wait... is... is Ash gay now?" since it was the first time there wasn't a female travelling companion.

Tbf you really don't need to reach that far to watch the music video for the theme song and interpret it as being about Ash and Goh's inextricable, intimate devotion to one another, so it wasn't entirely unfounded (such a banger of a tune too)

look when you're wandering through a desert even the tiniest puddle (women being together in a scene holding hands) is an oasis

God you've just reminded me of the early days of Journeys when people were genuinely posting stuff on social media to the effect of "wait... is... is Ash gay now?" since it was the first time there wasn't a female travelling companion.

Tbf you really don't need to reach that far to watch the music video for the theme song and interpret it as being about Ash and Goh's inextricable, intimate devotion to one another, so it wasn't entirely unfounded (such a banger of a tune too)

binging through Journeys i said out loud "wow they are actively queer baiting people now huh" multiple times

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
While it's headcanon, I always saw the Pokemon World being very gender/sexuality fluid (at least compared to the real world). While of course it does seem like heterosexuality is the norm, and being this is a kids franchise they'll never even fully go into sexuality in any sense of depth, still we've had plenty of tomboys and fabulous guys and everyone is treated equally (at least on the surface). Gay, Bi, Trans, and all the other colors of the LGBT+ flag aren't treated any differently than anyone else, especially if you can flaunt your stuff Pokemon style (battling, contests, musicals, movies, promo vids, etc.).

The only thing a person could get a judging side glance from in the Pokemon world is if someone doesn't like Pokemon (and by that I mean all Pokemon, not a specific kind; a person who doesn't like the entirety of the Pokemon species), than you're just a freak. How can you not like powerful monsters which can launch elemental energy which even the smallest ones could maul a human, moderately strong one demolish a home, and a powerful one bring destruction to a town/city? It's like you're worried putting these creatures in the hands of children who want to have the creatures fight each other until knocked unconscious is going to end badly. Pfft, chill out.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
While it's headcanon, I always saw the Pokemon World being very gender/sexuality fluid (at least compared to the real world). While of course it does seem like heterosexuality is the norm, and being this is a kids franchise they'll never even fully go into sexuality in any sense of depth, still we've had plenty of tomboys and fabulous guys and everyone is treated equally (at least on the surface). Gay, Bi, Trans, and all the other colors of the LGBT+ flag aren't treated any differently than anyone else, especially if you can flaunt your stuff Pokemon style (battling, contests, musicals, movies, promo vids, etc.).

The only thing a person could get a judging side glance from in the Pokemon world is if someone doesn't like Pokemon (and by that I mean all Pokemon, not a specific kind; a person who doesn't like the entirety of the Pokemon species), than you're just a freak.
"So look, before this relationship goes any further, I feel I should warn you I'm into the most depraved, unholy shit you could possibly imagine. Truly unfathomably filthy stuff. Like, I basically have zero limits."

"No worries, sounds great!"

"I'm not really into Pokemon, though"

"Ew, you disgusting pervert!"

the fact that if you do the big brain play of getting a Level 25 Magnemite to Mirror Shot Burgh in BW2, he actually has the foresight to engage in the only earlygame scenario where Struggle Bug is a viable move to counter you (Special Attackers are rare at this point, and virtually all of them like Magby and Woobat and Pidove and co run over Burgh).

in all my years of playing Pokemon, that was omega level funny (Magnemite cannot solo Burgh reliably without healing or good accuracy luck, btw)

Bull Of Heaven

99 Pounders / 4'3" Feet
is a Pre-Contributor
I've been wanting to do a SwSh appreciation post but not making time for it. I'll just wing it right now.

They're far from the best Pokemon games, but they held up reasonably well over these last three years.

Game Freak rarely miss with Pokemon designs anymore. Some of Gen 8 is a little underwhelming to me (Cinderace, Indeedee), but as usual the good easily outweighs the bad. There are easy favourites for me, like Frosmoth and Flapple. Funny designs like Polteageist and Galarian Weezing. Mons I overlooked at first but ended up liking a lot for reasons I don't fully understand, like Cramorant and Regidrago. The major legendaries of Galar are definitely not among my favourites, but I appreciate the vibe they were going for with most of those designs. Overall, as usual, a lot to like here.

Some things about the story are... infamous. But there are nuggets of quality that I liked as I first played through Shield. Some reasonably interesting characters, like Leon, Sonia, and Hop. A gym challenge that feels like a major spectacle. Funny writing here and there. A legend slowly unravelled. And the early part where you take your starter into a foggy forest and fight an illusory legendary with wolf-howl music had me hooked right away, even if it turned out in the end to be kind of a high point.

Say what you want about Pokemon graphics, but much of Galar is pretty. Nice music too.

DLC expansions were cool. The Crown Tundra story was an interesting new take on Pokemon lore.

Mega Evolution is still my favourite "super mechanic," but Dynamax was a lot better than I expected. I know it was quickly banned in Smogon singles tiers (not really familiar with why, didn't play much singles this gen), but I liked the layer that it added to VGC games. The transformation was boring, but the mechanic was fun. It largely accomplished my old hope for Mega Evolution, in that it made a wide variety of Pokemon at least usable for something, even if not really competitively viable. And obviously the more boring generalized transformation helped them to achieve that. I'm a little pessimistic about Terestal (haven't read leaks, don't actually know how it works), but if Dynamax was any example, it should be fine.

This is the gen where I finally gave VGC a try, and it's another thing that I liked a lot more than I expected. Two of the reasons I did that were the pandemic and the fact that I was already watching Wolfe Glick's draft league content, but it also helped a lot that Game Freak made it so much easier to get good VGC Pokemon this gen. Hopefully I'll branch out a bit in Gen 9, play more online tournaments instead of just laddering sporadically, maybe even an in-person tournament someday.

Max Raid Battles are kind of silly, but the temporary events that they put into the dens were great for collecting interesting Pokemon. I have a whole consistent route now for riding my bike around the Wild Area and the DLC areas. Between VGC and those raid events, they really did have me going back and playing SwSh all throughout the gen. On that note, keeping SwSh as the main traditional/battling games of Gen 8 freed them to be innovative with Legends: Arceus, while events kept SwSh alive. It seems like a good model for the future.

SwSh will probably never be among my favourite games, but right now, at the end of their time, I have a fond feeling that I didn't have at the ends of the last couple of gens.

On to the next one.

Good news and bad news regarding some move animations.
1668781019694.png

Steam Eruption no longer comes from both of Volcanion's cannons.
1668781118012.png

Wicked Blow was changed into a One Inch Punch move.
1668781290856.png
Dark Pulse was changed to more closely resemble other pulse moves.
Plus we get female Dragon Tamers for the first time as NPCs.
1668782625533.png

Their outfits are based on Clair's.
HeartGold_SoulSilver_Clair.png

Last edited:
Well, now that the games are out, I wanted to talk about something I rly like about the starters, but it's the final evos so I'm just gonna spoiler it below.
1668893197535.png
1668893242654.png
1668893410125.png

Say what u want about their actual appearances, but a neat thing I noticed about them is their secondary types. Up until now all of the starter's secondary types (if they had any) either ignored each other or made them win harder on the the one they already beat (i.e greninja having water and dark stab to beat delphox, the latter having fire and psychic stab for chesnaught and this last one having grass and dark stab for the frog). What's neat about gen 9's is that this seems to have been inverted (at least defensively), with meowscarada for example being weak to skeledirge's fire moves, but resisting the ghost attacks. This also technically happened in gen 4, but that just ended up screwing over empoleon more than anything.
Dunno how impactful this is, but I thought it was worth noting!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)