Little things you like about Pokémon

I might sound really dumb with this but here goes: the music does so much to set the mood of this location. GSC's backing track for Dark Cave/Ice Path is so low and buzzy, it makes those locations feel like gloomy and barren places no person in their right mind would explore. A similar location I've always really liked (and felt was underrated) is the Icefall Cave in FRLG; it has the same sort of vibe because the BGM for caves in those games is so slow and downbeat, which fits a frozen cave incredibly well.

Whereas HGSS's version of that track is so much livelier and more cheerful-sounding, with the tinkly bell sounds - it sounds icy for sure, but doesn't create quite the same effect. It makes the place feel brighter and happier than the slightly bleak, empty cave I had the impression of from GSC.

Weirdly though I think that the HGSS version does suit Dark Cave well enough - it's not quite as gloomy, but the high notes and tinkly bells always put me in mind of things scuttling around the cave and out of sight. They're omnipresent but never loud or intrusive, which feels just about right.
Cool thoughts, but I actually prefer the HG/SS version in this case. While the HG/SS soundtrack was a bit hit or miss on the whole, I think the Dark Cave/Ice Path track is among the ones they changed for the better. I think the icy bell sounds just make the atmosphere better for the Ice Path. While it sounds a bit happier than the original, I wouldn't say it is too happy (unlike certain other tracks... looking at you Goldenrod, way to ruin one of the best tracks from the originals). Still, the original track for Dark Cave/Ice Path has its charm and I think it gives a more somber atmosphere, which I also like. That said, maybe my opinion will change if I get around to playing through Crystal again now that I have it on the 3DS.
I like that cave, too. The ice puzzles, Rock Smash rocks, and Strength boulders all combined to make a place that took effort to figure out. I think this cave is the entire reason why I back HMs even when everyone else doesn't, this cave showed what was possible even with the GBC tech.
I forgot about the puzzles. I remember the first time I got to Ice Path and made it through the first room, arriving at the part with the Strength puzzle... only to realize I hadn't brought a Strength user with me! Which meant I had to go back outside again...

As for the ice puzzles, one thing I remember from my childhood is this: a friend of mine had so much trouble with them that he had to ask his big sister for help with completing them! She was apparently much better at those types of puzzles. Personally, I always managed to complete them on my own IIRC, they gave me a bit of trouble for sure but they weren't impossible to solve.
If anyone played BW2 growing up, please tell me what your first reaction to this ruleset was, if you remember it. Because if I had played BW2 when it released, and I somehow got to this point in the postgame, I imagine my reaction would have been utter bafflement as to why Sky Drop of all moves was banned. Without the knowledge of the glitch, Sky Drop suddenly being banned is completely incomprehensible, and even with knowledge of the glitch, it's still super weird that it's only banned in this one tournament.
Mostly echoing what R_N said, I don't think I ever noticed this until reading your post. Or if I did see it in the games, I guess I either didn't think of it or just thought it was because of the Sky Drop glitch. Don't remember the teams I used for the PWT main tournaments, but I know for sure that none of them featured Sky Drop.

Not sure if my opinion counts here though since I didn't exactly play B2/W2 growing up, they were released when I was in my early 20s.
This is from the official channel.
Epic. This is yet another reason as for why I love Tinkaton.

I thought about saying something new for the thread as well... but it is hard since I haven't played any Pokémon games in over a month.

Anyway, one thing I came up with is this: I like when other video games reference Pokémon, as long as it is done in a good way. One of my favorite Switch games is NEO: The World Ends With You, and it has one obvious Pokémon reference. In the game, there's a phone game named FantasyGo, which some of the main characters play. It seems to work the same way as Pokémon Go, but it features monsters from the Final Fantasy series instead of Pokémon. For those that don't know, both Final Fantasy and TWEWY are made by Square Enix. Either way, I thought it was really fun reference when I played the game.

There's also one thing I noticed about the music in the game. The beginning of Rockin' Rockin' is very similar to the beginning of Pyrite Town from the Orre games.

Probably just a big coincidence, but I think it is really cool.

So despite being, well, no getting around it, a mess

I legitimately like Tera Raids.
I think enough about it works such that I don't mind doing a bunch of them, either for fun or to build up some cash. I actually look forward to every 7* Raid, even if they can vary wildly in enjoyability, because it's interesting to see what they bring to the table and how the community comes together to figure out the best ways to handle it both online and solo.

The AI, while scattershot, has relatively competent Pokemon that generally work in your favor. The shield is significantly more possible to deal with without feeling like a total pain every single time it shows up. The fact the timer works differently solo is such a boon for you.

Compared to SWSH raids where (with the exception of the Den Exploration mode, which functioned differently) I was so disinterested I barely did any of them, much less any of the event ones (and saw like no real discussion of them outside the Mewtwo & Zeraora raids), for various reasons better suited to the other thread.

Tera raids are like the prime example of "SV are a complete mess of a game that I love it and cannot stop playing" sentiments

e: In general it is nice that GameFreak clearly saw the issues people had with SWSH raids and worked to rectify them in SV.

e: In general it is nice that GameFreak clearly saw the issues people had with SWSH raids and worked to rectify them in SV.
If only now they would change the penalty for "bringing a useless mon" to not punish the entire group, they'd be (almost) perfect.
As is, they kinda created a bad "meta" where as you probably are familiar with, people will just dodge lobbies as soon as someone with a "non-meta" pokemon locks in, and I do understand them as expecially with the more difficult ones, having a deadweight mon that will just reduce your timer is just a waste of time.

If only now they would change the penalty for "bringing a useless mon" to not punish the entire group, they'd be (almost) perfect.
As is, they kinda created a bad "meta" where as you probably are familiar with, people will just dodge lobbies as soon as someone with a "non-meta" pokemon locks in, and I do understand them as expecially with the more difficult ones, having a deadweight mon that will just reduce your timer is just a waste of time.
I never see someone drop out of my lobbies so I actually haven't seen that show up.
That said it's kind of unfortunate but there's really no way to prevent that unless everyone had their own specific timer. Which I guess would be interesting but feels like it would need a full rebalancing again and they probably like the idea of everyone putting in effort equally. Maybe next gen's raids.

Oh and one thing I do like is that different Pokemon seem to have different behaviors. not just the 7* raids which obviously have very customized behaviors, but 5* & 6* too (4* likely also have them but it's 4*s those are whatever). They'll throw up shields differently, do their own actions at certain points during their HP or Timer bar, or favor certain actions over others even across similar Pokemon (Glimmora seems to love stealing tera charge compared to other Pokemon in my experience). I assume they probably just assigned a personality type or only did it to some of the raids but not all of them, but it helps add extra variety.

I never see someone drop out of my lobbies so I actually haven't seen that show up.
That said it's kind of unfortunate but there's really no way to prevent that unless everyone had their own specific timer. Which I guess would be interesting but feels like it would need a full rebalancing again and they probably like the idea of everyone putting in effort equally. Maybe next gen's raids.
Actually the behaviour i was referring to is the host not confirming his Pokemon, and dropping the lobby altoghether as soon as a questionable pokemon is locked in.

Actually the behaviour i was referring to is the host not confirming his Pokemon, and dropping the lobby altoghether as soon as a questionable pokemon is locked in.
ah yeah definitely haven't seen that

Though, sometimes, I wish I had....

ah yeah definitely haven't seen that

Though, sometimes, I wish I had....
Pretty lucky then as I see it all the time...

And honestly I myself am guilty of it as well. For a bit I've tried to "give the benefit of the doubt", but at this point when I see the millionth person locking Koraidon into Greninja I just don't wanna deal with it :|

So, who would the Crobat Master have been? Kilmer? Clooney? Bale? Personally I would chosen Conroy.
Conroy is the obvious choice but you could also go with the underrated Diedrich Bader (voice of Batman in Batman: Brave and the Bold).

(Bold might not have the mature legacy of TAS but it had way more identity than whatever The Batman (2004 TV series) was trying to do lmao (granted Rino Romano was a fine voice, but that was perhaps the most wonderbread / shallow superhero show I've seen in my life that just could not make up its mind on what it wanted to be or where to go with its characters outside Hugo Strange)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 6)