Little things you like about Pokémon

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
i like how in sun/moon you get 1 million pokedollars for completing the ultra beast missions. not only does it make a ton of sense (you were able to take out a threat to the region so a cash payment seems feasible) but it's also extremely convenient in that it lets you do stuff like get all the expensive tms, buy poke balls/adrenaline orbs for completing the dex, etc., so i think that it's a really cool reward for beating the postgame.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
More Youtube stuff!

First, something from the English channel, a cute documentary-style commercial or Pokemon GO. What's so special about it? It's narrated by Stephen Fry and is composed by George Fenton (who scored award winning documentaries Planet Earth, Frozen Planet & Blue Planet).
I kind of want an actually want a series of this now, even if it's just a series of sorts.

But that's not all, as we go over to Pokemon Japan that a has a new music video! The Pokemon focus this time: Pyukumuku. And like before, there's translated English lyrics:
~Namakobushi-bushi, Namakobushi-bushi, Namakobushi-bushi, let's play together!~
(Though I'm curious if there aren't some Japanese puns or word play going on that we're missing out on)

There's something neat I've just realized about Counter and Mirror Coat.

Counter is a Fighting-type move, and Ghost-type Pokemon are immune to it. Ghost-type moves were all physical before Gen IV.
Mirror Coat is a Psychic-type move, and Dark-type Pokemon are immune to it. Dark-type moves were all special before Gen IV.

Suddenly their types make so much sense now.

(Even better, in Gen I, Counter could only reflect Normal and Fighting-type moves... and Ghost-type Pokemon are immune to both)

Last edited:
More Youtube stuff!

First, something from the English channel, a cute documentary-style commercial or Pokemon GO. What's so special about it? It's narrated by Stephen Fry and is composed by George Fenton (who scored award winning documentaries Planet Earth, Frozen Planet & Blue Planet).
I kind of want an actually want a series of this now, even if it's just a series of sorts.
That is amazing. Say what you want about Go's gameplay and Niantic's ability to maintain it, but they sure know how to advertise.

While not quite as direct as the other example, I really like that the VC release of Pokémon Crystal continues a trend from ORAS of just having a Mythical Pokémon simply be available in the main game without needing any external event or whatever. It means that long after Gamestop distributions have died, you'll still be able to get a Celebi - and a Deoxys - in some form.
And it's much more exciting than plugging in a code and walking to the Pokemon Center.

I really do like the photo album feature added in USUM and I hope it stays in future instalments.

This definitely fits the criteria of 'little' things you like, but it's just a generally nice cute feature they added that you can have a lot of fun with. It's especially good for these games as compared to when it was previously in HGSS due to the variety of poses you can get with the 3D models, and all the various outfits you can buy. I found myself taking a lot of photos of new outfit combinations I found haha

In direct relation to this, I also really like that it asks if you want to take a picture right after a major battle or an evolution to commemorate the event.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
HIKER DANCE!
I hope next Thrown Controllers has the entire audience doing the dance.

On a more serious note, I probably should list some things I Iiked about USUM considering the rant I went on in the Things That Annoyed You thread:

Totem Stickers: I really like the idea here. The game has a group of special Pokemon there's no way to get normally, in Gen VII's case the Totem Sized Pokemon, so they make them available through an arbitrary way. And while the Totem Sized Pokemon isn't anything special, think what this could mean for future games. Maybe give use Pokemon that a differently colored than their normal and Shiny counterparts. How about robotic version of Pokemon? Maybe even experiment by having Pokemon who have a unique Ability or different types than normal. Maybe when the Gen V remakes come around they can let us play with some of the PokeStar Studio "Pokemon" (maybe justify it by saying the outfit is just a costume a certain Pokemon is wearing).

Mantine Surfing: I like Mantine Surfing in two ways.
One, I think it's a fun mini-game. I'm hoping in a future they include such mini-games, and maybe extend upon it. Like instead of surfing why not have a bike race? Or how about a diving/flying race?
Second, I like it's an alternate way to make BP that isn't battling. It doesn't award too much that it makes battling for BP feel a waste of time but also provides just enough if you just want to get something quick like use the Move Tutor.

Last edited:
HIKER DANCE!
I hope next Thrown Controllers has the entire audience doing the dance.

On a more serious note, I probably should list some things I Iiked about USUM considering the rant I went on in the Things That Annoyed You thread:

Totem Stickers: I really like the idea here. The game has a group of special Pokemon there's no way to get normally, in Gen VII's case the Totem Sized Pokemon, so they make them available through an arbitrary way. And while the Totem Sized Pokemon isn't anything special, think what this could mean for future games. Maybe give use Pokemon that a differently colored than their normal and Shiny counterparts. How about robotic version of Pokemon? Maybe even experiment by having Pokemon who have a unique Ability or different types than normal. Maybe when the Gen V remakes come around they can let us play with some of the PokeStar Studio "Pokemon" (maybe justify it by saying the outfit is just a costume a certain Pokemon is wearing).

Mantine Surfing: I like Mantine Surfing in two ways.
One, I think it's a fun mini-game. I'm hoping in a future they include such mini-games, and maybe extend upon it. Like instead of surfing why not have a bike race? Or how about a diving/flying race?
Second, I like it's an alternate way to make BP that isn't battling. It doesn't award too much that it makes battling for BP feel a waste of time but also provides just enough if you just want to get something quick like use the Move Tutor.
But it already does make battling for BP a waste. A decent Mantine course run will net you like 8 - 10 BP easily and is probably about as fast as going into Battle Royal with a self-KO Pokemon. Maybe it doesn't quite compare if you're already neck-deep in a Battle Tree streak, but this will certainly help you get any items you need from the shops to prepare your team for the Battle Tree.

Something I've noticed since the recent patch is that when Wonder Trading, it'll ask you if you want to do another WT rather than make you have to tap the trade button again. I don't remember it doing this before version 1.2, but it is appreciated if you want to WT off a bunch of stuff from recent breeding projects as it saves you a few seconds.

Something I've noticed since the recent patch is that when Wonder Trading, it'll ask you if you want to do another WT rather than make you have to tap the trade button again. I don't remember it doing this before version 1.2, but it is appreciated if you want to WT off a bunch of stuff from recent breeding projects as it saves you a few seconds.
This was introduced in USUM, not specifically 1.2

It's a good change, though, I must admit, because of the reasons you have said.

Clouds

False Pretenses
is a Forum Moderatoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
So we've been able to explore the numerous side quests in USUM. But I have one that's been my favorite since doing it, which is the Mukeo/Mukiet event at Hano Beach. (Also, thought this would be a fitting thing to post on Valentine's day, no?)

1518642411280.png

Couple things made this little post game side quest my favorite, aside from me just loving Pyukumuku. At one point during the quest, the woman who is telling you about Mukeo longing for his Mukiet tells you that Mukiet was thrown in by a part-time Pyukumuku chucker, and as you may know, that's the job of the player for a $20,000 reward. But when she says this, a quick zoom-in on the player occurs, sorta noting that you were the one who threw his long lost lover in the ocean. Really subtle and creative.

After you've retrieved Mukiet for Mukeo, they're all happy and life is good, and then some little boy comes and chucks Mukiet back in the ocean. Tragic ending but also made me smile. These little events are often some of the best parts of Pokemon games and I hope GF continues to implement them.

I love everything about mystery dungeon games. But the best thing is having competitively awful pokémon as friends in these games. You people can love Rayquaza, Arceus, Mega Mewtwo and others, but my favourite list will be filled with pokémon like Lombre, Kecleon, Gulpin, Ursaring, Grovyle, Wigglytuff, Chatot, Sunflora, Loudred and others. I even adore Bidoof right now! And you have to admit it - mystery dungeon wouldn't be as fun with Palkia, Aegislash, Deoxys and rest of Ubers living nearby. Well, I'd actually like a Mega Kangaskhan. Infinite treasure bag FTW!!

During my Sun playthrough I always loved Gengar's face when it uses a Z-Move.

It just looks like he's thinking "yeaaah boy you're gonna get it!".
Always cracked me up.
On this matter, I love how the whole Z-Move charging animation plays even if the move fails.

I was doing some Free Battles when my opponent foolishly tried to use Tectonic Rage on a Rotom.

The trainer does the whole dance, the Pokemon gets charged with energy, and then... "Rotom's Levitate". "It didn't affect Rotom..."

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
I really do like the photo album feature added in USUM and I hope it stays in future instalments.

This definitely fits the criteria of 'little' things you like, but it's just a generally nice cute feature they added that you can have a lot of fun with. It's especially good for these games as compared to when it was previously in HGSS due to the variety of poses you can get with the 3D models, and all the various outfits you can buy. I found myself taking a lot of photos of new outfit combinations I found haha

In direct relation to this, I also really like that it asks if you want to take a picture right after a major battle or an evolution to commemorate the event.
I'm willing to bet the Photo Club is going to get axed in future installments, or at least stripped down. Not just because Game Freak has a track record of killing features that people like (i.e the DexNav), but because people have been making rather...lewd photos from it.

I'm willing to bet the Photo Club is going to get axed in future installments, or at least stripped down. Not just because Game Freak has a track record of killing features that people like (i.e the DexNav), but because people have been making rather...lewd photos from it.
We have another "Why Fandom Can't Have Nice Things" moment, do we? Sigh...humans gonna human, I guess.

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
is a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
I really enjoy the Pokemon Center themes. They're so soothing and fitting for a place like the Pokemon Center. It's also really nice that the themes are gen specific, and I even feel like the Pokemon Center themes can be heard as a sort of representation for the generation as a whole. That said, I haven't played ingame in a long time.

...How are they able to do that? It isn't exactly like SFM... Or maybe I'm just not perverted enough or creative enough. Or perhaps I just usually can't be assed.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
...How are they able to do that? It isn't exactly like SFM... Or maybe I'm just not perverted enough or creative enough. Or perhaps I just usually can't be assed.
Here's one of the more tamer ones:

(Speaking of assed...)

There's several variations of the one above using different Pokemon. There's also ones where, through camera manipulation, you can get some pretty scrupulous scenes.

Never underestimate the perversion of the internet.

Here's one of the more tamer ones:

(Speaking of assed...)

There's several variations of the one above using different Pokemon. There's also ones where, through camera manipulation, you can get some pretty scrupulous scenes.

Never underestimate the perversion of the internet.
Wouldn't be as funny without hearts around Primarina

She enjoyed it o.O

Wouldn't be as funny without hearts around Primarina

She enjoyed it o.O
Are you assuming its gender? :O

Now, if the Photo Club gets axed in Gen VIII (which I too think will happen), it won't be because of these images. Were that the case, Pokemon Amie wouldn't have been kept under a different name in Gen VII.

Now, if the Photo Club gets axed in Gen VIII (which I too think will happen), it won't be because of these images. Were that the case, Pokemon Amie wouldn't have been kept under a different name in Gen VII.
I'm a retro player and I've no idea what's photo club, but if you can "spank" you pokémon there it would be wise to remove it. We can't even Google Gardevoir nowadays...

Well the thing with Pokemon Amie/Refresh is that it's needed to evolve Eevee into Sylveon and Game Freak tends to be REALLY reluctant to change a pokemon's evolution method unless they absolutely have to.

Still, they're absolutely going to can the Photo Club for the next generation games. It's a superfluous feature! We totally don't need it for the first games of the new generation, just as we don't need tutor moves or much of an actual post-game, right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)