Little things you like about Pokémon

While double checking some egg move mechanics, came across this note
In Pokémon Emerald, Seedot and Nuzleaf encountered through a mass outbreak will know Leech Seed, a move otherwise only available to them as an Egg Move.
That's...pretty neat! I knew Seedot (& Nuzleaf) were swarms in Emerald but never knew they had an egg move.

I also thought it was a little weird. RS didn't have this and later games with swarms didn't do this. And even in Emerald, Skitty didn't get an egg move (ALSO the swarm Skitty in RS was level 15 but only had Growl & Tackle??)

Turns out it's even weirder! If Seedot swarms on Route 120 specifically, it goes a step above in not only having Leech Seed but having the TM moves Solar Beam, Giga Drain and Frustration

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Not sure if it's allowed to discuss new Pokemon yet, so

Really love Gouging Fire. Firstly, brilliant name. The design really isn't that different to Entei - which is fine by me because Entei has a great design. But also the rainbow-coloured crest on its head evokes Ho-Oh a lot and that's cool. Suicune is stated in-game to be the closest of the three beasts to Ho-Oh, but since Entei got Sacred Fire in Gen VI it emphasised its connection to Ho-Oh and that's a really neat part of the lore to play up. All three of the Johto beasts' Paradox counterparts are great tbh - haven't picked a true favourite yet.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
One of those amusing functions of this series' expanding scope and changing priorities is the unintended implication that Paldea and Unova are the only regions serious about their education funding and everywhere else other than Alola is in absolute shambles, relying on one-room shacks in the boonies to teach their kids

This is a bizarre thing to include in this thread but it makes me laugh so I like it.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

The Teal Disk legendary encounters updated some of the themes.

-The Legendary Birds get their Let's Go theme remixes.

-The Legendary Beasts finally get their individually unique themes from Heart Gold/Soul Silver.

-Kubfu uses the regular Galar wild Pokemon theme.

-I can't tell if the Unova Dragon's get their own individually variations of their theme.
The Johto and Hoenn legendaries are using the HGSS and ORAS mixes of their themes, oh we are so back.

Also nice to hear the old BW legendary theme again for the Swords of Justice, after SwSh bailed on doing that.

Really liking the choice of using the newest mixes of each legendary's battle theme for the old legends, not dated Game Boy/GBA soundtrack. As it should be.

The Item Printer is so much better than the Cramomatic it's insane.

Cheaper to use for what you get out of it
It's a use for all those materials you've been gathering but not necessarily using
Especially for materials you can't actually use for anything
Getting up to 10 items at once
No need to worry about putting in speicific kinds of items
The prize pay outs are great. Lots of expensive items, battle items, rarer stuff isn't so rare that you'll barel ysee it
Pokeball Lotto isnt super common but compared to getting balls before, way better here.

And then you get to upgrade it so it costs less, materials are worth more, you get chances at double items, the Pokeball Lotto, and eventually you start naturally rolling multiples per hit.

Having replayed both SWSH and SV recently, I have to say I really like the implementation of Kubfu and Ogerpon as DLC companion Legendaries (if anyone comes up with a shorter and snappier term for them, please let me know). It's a nice way to get you attached to them and their story, and it adds a great element of replayability to the main game once the DLC is released. It feels like a nice evolution of the concepts explored by both Nebby and Zygarde in SM, and is a great way to differentiate them from the standard late-game Legendaries. I was initially concerned that they'd be too closely linked to the DLC and feel out-of-place in other environments as a result, but Kubfu coming back in Indigo Disk pretty much eliminated those concerns.

I really like Kubfu's little training arc in particular: provided you start Isle of Armor during the main game, you receive Kubfu at Level 5, while Mustard's Kubfu at the top of the Tower is Level 30, giving you incentive to leave the Isle, embark on your League journey, and come back later once Kubfu is strong enough to take on the Tower. This element kinda goes away once you hit the post-game, since you'll just be shoving EXP Candies down its throat to hit Level 70, but I chalk that up more to awkward level scaling than anything else, and you still have to take on the Tower with Kubfu alone to earn that evolution. The option of a Dark or Water typing on Urshifu also lends it some nice flexibility depending on your team comp!

Ogerpon, on the other hand, comes at full power immediately - it already has Ivy Cudgel once you catch it, and you get all three masks instantly once you do. But with that power comes even more versatility than what Urshifu had - the different typings and stat boosts from Embody Aspect means that Ogerpon can do different things for different match-ups, condensing a lot of value into one team slot. It's pretty neat!

I do have a few personal criticisms - for one thing, I wish their scaling was more dynamic than it currently is. This is a criticism that can be broadly applied to Pokemon DLC as a whole, but I think it hits these 'mons the hardest; Kubfu always comes at Level 5 no matter how far you've progressed, and Ogerpon always comes at Level 20 unless you've gotten to the credits. EXP Candies do a lot to address any potential level gaps, but I think adding ~5 levels per badge would be a solid change. In Ogerpon's case specifically, I think they're too strong for how early you can get them - I wish that they had a pre-evolution ala Kubfu, or some kind of limit until you can progress farther in the game so they scale more appropriately like Kubfu did - maybe put Ivy Cudgel at a higher level, or hold out on the Masks until you get farther in Teal Mask. Lastly, this is a very personal thing, but I really wish that they didn't overlap with starter types. In Kubfu's case, it's only one of the potential evolutions that has Water to overlap with Inteleon, but it's more egregious with Ogerpon, who's a Grass type no matter what and can take on Fire or Water depending on the mask it holds. I don't think most players care about this, but I'll confess it really bugs me personally to have type overlap on in-game teams so I don't like the potential constraints. But overall, I think the positives significantly outweigh the negatives, and I hope this is a trend that continues!

Having replayed both SWSH and SV recently, I have to say I really like the implementation of Kubfu and Ogerpon as DLC companion Legendaries (if anyone comes up with a shorter and snappier term for them, please let me know). It's a nice way to get you attached to them and their story, and it adds a great element of replayability to the main game once the DLC is released. It feels like a nice evolution of the concepts explored by both Nebby and Zygarde in SM, and is a great way to differentiate them from the standard late-game Legendaries. I was initially concerned that they'd be too closely linked to the DLC and feel out-of-place in other environments as a result, but Kubfu coming back in Indigo Disk pretty much eliminated those concerns.

I really like Kubfu's little training arc in particular: provided you start Isle of Armor during the main game, you receive Kubfu at Level 5, while Mustard's Kubfu at the top of the Tower is Level 30, giving you incentive to leave the Isle, embark on your League journey, and come back later once Kubfu is strong enough to take on the Tower. This element kinda goes away once you hit the post-game, since you'll just be shoving EXP Candies down its throat to hit Level 70, but I chalk that up more to awkward level scaling than anything else, and you still have to take on the Tower with Kubfu alone to earn that evolution. The option of a Dark or Water typing on Urshifu also lends it some nice flexibility depending on your team comp!

Ogerpon, on the other hand, comes at full power immediately - it already has Ivy Cudgel once you catch it, and you get all three masks instantly once you do. But with that power comes even more versatility than what Urshifu had - the different typings and stat boosts from Embody Aspect means that Ogerpon can do different things for different match-ups, condensing a lot of value into one team slot. It's pretty neat!

I do have a few personal criticisms - for one thing, I wish their scaling was more dynamic than it currently is. This is a criticism that can be broadly applied to Pokemon DLC as a whole, but I think it hits these 'mons the hardest; Kubfu always comes at Level 5 no matter how far you've progressed, and Ogerpon always comes at Level 20 unless you've gotten to the credits. EXP Candies do a lot to address any potential level gaps, but I think adding ~5 levels per badge would be a solid change. In Ogerpon's case specifically, I think they're too strong for how early you can get them - I wish that they had a pre-evolution ala Kubfu, or some kind of limit until you can progress farther in the game so they scale more appropriately like Kubfu did - maybe put Ivy Cudgel at a higher level, or hold out on the Masks until you get farther in Teal Mask. Lastly, this is a very personal thing, but I really wish that they didn't overlap with starter types. In Kubfu's case, it's only one of the potential evolutions that has Water to overlap with Inteleon, but it's more egregious with Ogerpon, who's a Grass type no matter what and can take on Fire or Water depending on the mask it holds. I don't think most players care about this, but I'll confess it really bugs me personally to have type overlap on in-game teams so I don't like the potential constraints. But overall, I think the positives significantly outweigh the negatives, and I hope this is a trend that continues!
The thing that bothers me about Ogerpon for main-game levels is actually the opposite: Kieran's team will be Mid-30's as the last major roadblock before getting Ogerpon, who in turn you battle and receive at Level 20, putting her several levels behind the team you probably beat Kieran with (especially since early/mid-game options would entail probably lesser type/BP access for your mons and moves, hampering the ability to be below his level). It means that EXP Candy gorging aside, the reward Ogerpon will need to play catch up after all that, and the fight in turn probably is probably way easier vs the preceding match vs post-game Ogerpon being 70 to match Kieran and then elevated by the boosted HP and multiple Teras.

Also not an annoyance but an oddity I notice: they kind of reverse the standing of the two Legendaries for these DLC. In Gen 8, Kubfu is a weakling that achieves power through training with your party to evolve and such, while Calyrex is a very powerful Legendary whom you're helping REgain its strength. Gen 9 reverses this with Ogerpon reaching full power again after you retrieve her mask, while Terapagos is kind of a small wimpy turtle until it's captured and battles/Terastalizes into its bigger forms.

I was in the Terarium testing out the Synchro Machine (good concept, needs a little more refinement but very fun). I wanted to see if one of my favourite recently released Pokémon could swim.

Unfortunately Raging Bolt cannot swim, but it can do this:
View attachment 581485

This makes me smile :)
Swimming animations in general is one of those things Game Freak does where no one talks about it but it is actual evidence that yeah. They do care about the little things, they just need more time. There is no gameplay reason to add swimming animations for non-Water types, but they do. Not all, but that's hundreds of animations at a time.

Swimming animations in general is one of those things Game Freak does where no one talks about it but it is actual evidence that yeah. They do care about the little things, they just need more time. There is no gameplay reason to add swimming animations for non-Water types, but they do. Not all, but that's hundreds of animations at a time.
The swimming animations are nice, especially since you wont often get to see them compared to the flying ones, but the non-water types that got swimming animations are fairly minimal.
There's the mascot and its family, the mascot's new clone (BUT ONLY the new one), the secondary mascot and its family, a handful of "not a water type, but aquatic" pokemon, and Gholdengo (because it has a surfboard)

Basically the ones that "make sense" to have them + the marketable ones that make for cute screenshots. not that I think that's a bad thing, mind you; no reason to go overboard.
Actually I'm a bit surprised they didn't give the Meowscarada line swimming animations; not all cats hate water and its a starter. Can give a pass to Fuecoco for the same reason as Flareon, but...still!

BDSP is currently the only main game that has Roar of Time animated like an actual roar instead of a beam attack. Spin-off games like Rumble and Mystery Dungeon have it act more like an AOE, but only in BDSP does it look just like a brutal soundwave.

Comparably, I prefer Spacial Rend in Legends for looking more like Vergil's Judgement Cut from DMC, especially with Palkia slashing at the end.

Not sure how long if at all features are spoilered for the DLC, but SV in general keeping the Apricorn Balls rare but functionally limitless, so they still have aesthetic trade value but don't fall into Megaelixir syndrome.

Including the Item Printer having Master, Beast, Safari, and Sports Balls for the really obscure ones the base game didn't make repeatable

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
The Unova Trainer arrangement in Indigo Disk is full-stop the best regular trainer theme in the series methinks. So dynamic and suitably intense for the battles it's accompanying with a marvelous blend of synth, chiptune and guitar. Don't forget taking a motif made over a decade after the original composition and integrating it so seamlessly it sounds like it was always meant to be there! The Wild Battle mix is pretty solid too but this song is simply at another level, the first of its category I will be regularly listening to on my own time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 4)