Live Smogcast #5 - Ubers - Wednesday, June 12th @2:30 PM EST

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
So yeah, we have cooked this for about a week now. Join host Melee Mewtwo and panelists Blim, Faint, jonathanrp, and Problems on the date listed in the title for a discussion about everyone's REAL favorite metagame (suck it LN). Topics to be discussed about are right over here.

Feel free to use this thread to ask questions that you want answered during the cast!

Trainer Au

Insert custom title here
A smogcast about my fav tier on my b-day? D'aww you guys are too nice.

Anyways there might be a thread around here somewhere but I have always been intrigued on stall in ubers, how is it played, what are some great stall mons, etc.

tehy

Banned deucer.
If you could get 1 pokemon out of ubers (I guess if you say arceus, only one form of it), which would it be and why?

Or maybe you wouldn't because it's perfect how it is?

A smogcast about my fav tier on my b-day? D'aww you guys are too nice.

Anyways there might be a thread around here somewhere but I have always been intrigued on stall in ubers, how is it played, what are some great stall mons, etc.
Hey, I think this would probably help you.

Also, are you not going to talk about the recent suspect test?

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
Also, are you not going to talk about the recent suspect test?
quoted for emphasis

Come now, you're having an Ubers Smogcast and are not making it a point to talk about clause testing? For shame!

PROBLEMS

AHEAD OF HIS TIME
As Furai said all the questions asked in here we will all try and get around to and give you as much depth and detail as we can, keep them coming thanks everyone~

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
As Furai said all the questions asked in here we will all try and get around to and give you as much depth and detail as we can, keep them coming thanks everyone~
Talk about how good Arceus-Grass is kthnx

blitzlefan

shake it off!
What are some unconventional checks/counters to the current S-tier threats, Kyogre, Arceus-Normal, and Arceus-Ghost?

Definitely looking forward to this! :)

Fabbles

LN_Slayer
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'll be in class unfortunately but I am looking forward to watching it afterwards.

Definitely talk about 1. the suspect test(s) and 2. the creativity (lack thereof) currently in the Ubers metagame. I think the latter is a really important topic concerning Ubers at this moment.

Edit: Actual Questions

1. Do you believe there is a general lack of creativity in the Ubers metagame? Give reasons one way or the other.
2. Are there any viable movesets for Genesect other than a variation of the Choice Scarf set?
3. How effective is Ho-oh as a bulky attacker in the current meta?
4. Do you think the metagame would be better without Arceus?

Enguarde

I only play ADV UU
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What are your thoughts on how this guy is going to turn out? In terms of a comparison of its potential stats and abilities to the current Mewtwo?

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
1. Is hail really viable on a competitive (tournament standard) ubers team or is it just "that anti-weather gimmick"?

2. If species clause is ever tested what would be your opinions on Mono-Arceus teams?

- Discuss how much better than every single other Pokémon in the game Arceus-Normal is.
- Discuss the intricacies of the delicate skills and knowledge about the Ubers metagame required to successfully utilize the Shell Smash + Baton Pass strategy.
- Cloyster is the best Rapid Spinner. Discuss the potential reasons why that is indeed the case.
- Discuss the fall of Rayquaza and to a lesser extent, Mewtwo in the Ubers metagame.
- Upon the dawn of the realization by good trainers that the use of the move Will-O-Wisp is far from an effective method of checking Arceus-Normal, what are the best ways of checking this Pokémon in the current metagame?
- According to an extremely reliable source, Yveltal will be a Dark/Flying-type Pokémon, meaning that rain will finally receive a solid Pokémon capable of checking both Darkrai and Arceus-Ghost simultaneously. How will the introduction of such a Pokémon affect the metagame?

These are not questions, but I want to know what you guys think.

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
hi if you guys can stick to more questions and less discussion topics it would be great :toast:

If Groudon didn't have Drought, would it be broken in OU? You can talk about Kyogre too, though I think ScarfOgre with toed would be broken as hell tbh...

If you could get 1 pokemon out of ubers (I guess if you say arceus, only one form of it), which would it be and why?

Or maybe you wouldn't because it's perfect how it is?
This is what I was going to ask haha. Seconding this question :)

- Cloyster is the best Rapid Spinner. Discuss the potential reasons why that is indeed the case.

This is sarcasm. Some of these questions are legit but this has to be sarcasm. (Excadrill, Forry?)

If Groudon didn't have Drought, would it be broken in OU? You can talk about Kyogre too, though I think ScarfOgre with toed would be broken as hell tbh...

If Landorus-I were to be banned to Ubers, how do you think it would function in the metagame? It has a solid speed tier for ubers, two great abilities, and a strong movepool, so I don't think it would be as terrible as I've heard some people make out.
Well, Groudon has comparable physical bulk to Skarmory and higher attack and speed than Scizor, not to mention it's 100/90 special bulk. so it would be Uber yeh. Kyogre same thing -- higher SpAtt than Latios with much more special bulk than Jirachi.

As far as Landorus-I goes, whether it is banned to Ubers is irrelevant. You can use it in Ubers now. It has a C-ranking on the Viability Thread iirc

This is sarcasm. Some of these questions are legit but this has to be sarcasm. (Excadrill, Forry?)
I don't think that was a sarcasm.

My question anyway: If you can recommend a new change for Gen 6, what would you recommend as the most beneficial for the Ubers metagame?
For example a new type; a Pokemon for a certain role (a new good check for something, a damn-good spinner etc); a new ability or a new move.

Trainer Au

Insert custom title here
What are the best offensive checks to Ghostceus? Best defensive? (Just special Ghostceus).

How viable is Scizor right now? What is it used for?

Just for my own benefit, I'm creating a post with questions I can answer. We'll consider discussing the suspect tests as a whole, so I purposely omitted them.

If you could remove 1 mon from ubers, what would it be?
What is the best weather (ability) abusing sweeper?
What are some unconventional checks to S-Tier sweepers?
Is hail viable in competitive play?
If Groudon didn't have drought, would it be broken in OU? Yes.

What do you guys think would the ubers metagame look like with the fairy type?
Do you love the ubers metagame, if you do, why?
Do you like ADV/DPP Ubers?
Which one of the uber metagame is the best in your opinion?

:]

Hi guys, it's awesome that you're doing a Smogcast on Ubers! I just have a simple question:

Currently, what is your favorite Uber to use?

You can simply say your favorite, Uber Pokémon, or even your favorite set. For example, right now I'd say my favorite Uber is Choice Specs Palkia.

Feel free to mention a form difference like Giratina-O, your favorite Arceus type, or even a lower tier Pokémon that's brought you some success/enjoyment in the tier.

Thanks, and have a great day :)

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Since I'm too shy to ever go on a smogcast, I have some questions related to hypotheticals!

1. Let's say Gamefreak has decided to be extremely generous to the Ice-type, and reverse its defensive resits and weaknesses. This means that Ice is weak to Ice, and now resists Steel, Fighting, Rock (including Stealth Rock), and Fire. In such a bizarre hypothetical Ubers metagame, which Ice-type do you think would become the best?

2. Let's say that Gamefreak decided to get lazy, and made the new Mewtwo forme's stat spread just a rearranged version of regular Mewtwo's. Which stat spread do you think would be the best? Remember, the HP stat needs to stay base 106 under these conditions!

3. So, Air battles got confirmed, they only allow Flying-types and mons with levitate... Which Ubers do you think would rock that metagame the most? What would they have to prep for?

4. Oh no! There's been a meltdown at the Nuclear Stealth Rock plant, and one, bulky Uber without recovery must become 4x Stealth Rock weak (without a typing change) to get the reactor going again. Which Pokémon would have the best chance of surviving the metagame with such a crippling nerf? (no, Darkrai does NOT count as bulky).

5. Let's say... Gamefreak decides that we in fact, are better at making Pokémon than they are, and make every single CAP an official Pokémon. Which CAPs do you think would have the most impact on Ubers? If you don't know CAP, here's a link to the list of mons and links to their movepools http://www.smogon.com/cap/pokemon/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)