Looking for input to finish a unified pet team

When I make my teams, I start by choosing a few pieces that I like for whatever reasons of personal preference. Gimmicky movesets, aesthetic appeal, or nostalgia usually play a factor in this. Also, I usually like to shy away from standards such as Blissey and whatnot - not just for unique kitsch factor but also to keep my opponent from having a good idea of what I'm doing. After I have these first few pieces set, I'll build synergy around it to make a cohesive unit that can be at least moderately competitive. For this team I started with Umbreon, who has been looked at less positively in this generation. His STAB Pursuit becoming a physical attack now is very appealing with Screech - especially if you gain something from forcing switches. Obviously this implies Stealth Rock and Spikes. Normally, I hate "TSS" style teams since they are comprised of predictable, slow, and generally overused boringness. However, when I saw that Diamond/Pearl offered some sleeker new alternatives for auto-damage field effects, I set up with this as my base:

Azelf @ Undecided
Stealth Rock
Explosion
Psychic
Flamethrower

Frosslass @ Focus Strip
Spikes
Destiny Bond
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Screech
Pursuit
Wish
Protect

First, let me explain my unorthodox choices for Spiking/Stealth Rocking. First, Azelf is expected to be a speedy sweeper who threatens Explosion. Having him start off by throwing out Stealth Rock should hopefully catch them off guard as they switch in Blissey or Crescelia in anticipation of Scheme. Like Azelf, Froslass is very quick and threatens some degree of special attacking. After getting off some Spikes he has the added benefit of taking someone with him through Destiny Bond or blocking Rapid Spin due to Ghost typing. With the proper speed and special attack EVs (and Focus Strip), there is no way Frosslass should not be able to deal with Garchomp.

So with this base, I have Spikes/Stealth Rock and a nice tank who proactively forces switches. Another one of my favorites, Articuno, instantly came to mind as a Special Attack tank who could also force switches. Some combination of: Ice Beam, Roar, and then Rest/Sleep Talk or Feather Rest, Reflect, and Heal Bell seems quite nice. While the Sleep Talker can Roar more reliably than the others, a moveset with Feather Rest frees up a slot for Heal Bell or Reflect. On a side note, Mind Reader/ Sheer Cold would also be very effective at forcing switches if OHKO is ever allowed. For now, I will tentatively pencil in this set:

Articuno @ Leftovers
Ice Beam
Roar
Reflect
Feather Rest

Now in the last two slots is where I am having a bit of trouble. Though Azelf is a mini-special attack threat, I would like a strong special attacker and a strong physical attacker to fill the last two slots. Some other things to keep in mind would be: Ghost typing to block Rapid Spinning, bulky stats or Intimidate to augment the defensive nature of the team, status effects such as Thunder Wave and Will of the Wisp, Tyranitar for the added chip damage from Sandstorm, and further utility such as Heal Bell (assuming Articuno doesn't have it), Rapid Spin (nearly required to protect Articuno), and Taunt.

The first tandem I tried using to fill the last two slots included Starmie and Gyarados. Starmie is a fast Special attacker who can Rapid Spin, while Gyarados is a bulky physical threat. However, this obviously gave the team a glaring weakness to a speedy Thunderbolt. In terms of straight up attackers, I'm very fond of Life Orb Infernape (with Mach Punch to answer a glaring DDTar weakness) and Choice Glasses Salamence. However, I don't know if I can afford to just have pure beef attackers considering how much needs to be covered by the last two slots (though Salamence is quite bulky himself). Gengar also came to mind, as Hypnosis and Will of the Wisp fill a needed role while blocking Rapid Spin and threatening as a special attacker. Dusknoir is another Ghost to consider, and can potentially fill the role of Physical attacker while being very defensive. I have also given thought to Flygon as a physical sweeper, with Screech as added synergy to force switches. Similarly, the special attacker might consider Metal Sound for obvious reasons.

Given the four set in stone members and the established theme of the team, how should I fill the last two slots considering the aforementioned roles that they need to fill? I can deal with Garchomp, Salamence, and Gyarados fairly well, but Tyranitar seems to be posing big problems. Umbreon does a fairly adequate job of walling other non-stat upping sweepers, while I can ignore their tanks due to the nature of my team.

Why is it when everybody makes a new account, they go straight to making a rmt??? Anyway, you might want to watch out for weavile, so I would recommend swampert instead of starmie.

Why is it when everybody makes a new account, they go straight to making a rmt??? Anyway, you might want to watch out for weavile, so I would recommend swampert instead of starmie.
This "new" account that was registered before the one you are posting from? Not that its any of your concern what my posting habits are.

As far as the threat of Weavile coming in with Pursuit, its something I'm very conscious of. At least Azelf can throw a Flamethrower, but Frosslass is too slow to do much against a Weavile switch in.

This "new" account that was registered before the one you are posting from? Not that its any of your concern what my posting habits are.

As far as the threat of Weavile coming in with Pursuit, its something I'm very conscious of. At least Azelf can throw a Flamethrower, but Frosslass is too slow to do much against a Weavile switch in.
That means you have to predict it on the switch, and if it's already out, GG. You should definitely add swampy for team support and builkyness. Frosslass is actually not that good of a pokemon as people think so you might want to replace that with something else.

Frosslass is actually not that good of a pokemon as people think
People think Frosslass is good? It isn't really, but it is a unique Spiker.

Anyway, I'm agreeing that Weavile poses a big problem to Frosslass, but I have no plans to take him out. Even under ideal conditions I can only really hop Frosslass in and out when I think Weavile might switch in, which would be futile despite the 25% Weavile takes on each Stealth Rock switch in. As far as Swampert filling one of the last two openings, I considered him for his general defensive qualities while still posing a slight threat as a physical attacker. Ultimately, I think I need some more punch in the final slots though.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Some thoughts I had..

TBH I dont really imagine that umbreon working.. The problem being that, pursuit wont do enough damage, unless you screech. If you screech, then you are giving a chance for your opponent to switch. Sure, switching deals 37.5% each time (this is after a lot of set up), but presumeably, once I switch, you will have to switch (I doubt I would switch to a psychic). And I will attack and perhaps I laid some spikes as well.. It just seems like I will be doing more damage than you.

But, if you are confident with your strategy, the first thing you are gonna need is a solid fighting counter. Despite your ghost and psychic Heracross or Infernape will cut through this team very quickly..

The problem, is that defending against Infernape and Heracross require entirely different pokemon. If you want to stop both, then Dugtrio could be an option. But a Reversaler will probably beat you every time. Maybe you could use ambush on it, but it also has problems if they sub for the 25% boost on megahorn or a fire move..

The last poke, well there is a lot you need to counter.. Gyarados (with stone edge), Tyranitar (helped slightly by Dugtrio), Metagross, Heatran, Weavile will give you a bit of grief, Staraptor..

Yeah, ok, and since I disagree with your opinion that it would be better to have a special attacker in this last slot, since your team so far is predominantly special, and you will be able to take advantage of screech with a physical attacker.. I really dont know what to suggest.. A steel would cover some of your problem, but then you would be entirely reliant on Dugtrio to kill Heatran. Garchomp could help against some of those pokes, but I dont like your lack of resistances, and it is a stop gap solution at best..

It is good to see someone put this much work into a team though.. Technically you shouldnt post unfinished teams, but because of the detail I will let this pass I think.

Have a nice day.

Some thoughts I had..
You know, your comment that the team is more special based makes Metal Sound a lot more attractive me than it already was. One of the last two slots will now definetely be going to Lucario, who can Metal Sound and even Roar if I find room. Furthermore, Lucario fills a much needed role of a solid Tyranitar switch in on a Choice Banded Crunch. How does Metal Sound/ Pulse Bomb/ Dark Pulse / Roar sound? If that type coverage is too weak, Roar can be dropped for Dragon Pulse.

I'm still torn on the other final slot, as I'd love to run a hardy Flygon with Screech, Earthquake, Somersault, and Feather Rest. Somersault really fits the chip damage of the team, as ideally it would go:

Opponent switches due to Screech, takes Spikes/Stealth Rock damage.
Flygon uses Somersault his switch in, some degree of damage.
I switch to a counter on the Somersault.

Lucario can do this too, which is kind of neat.

Opponent switches due to Metal Sound, takes Spikes/Stealth Rock damage.
Lucario uses Roar to switch out whatever counter they just sent in, Spikes/Stealth Rock damage.

Of course, Flygon filling the last spot means there is no Rapid Spinner. So I suppose for now I should tentatively give that slot to a defense oriented Starmie. If Stealth Rock proves to be an afterthought after the metagame settles down, I'd much prefer Flygon in that slot. Oddly enough, this is one of the few circumstances where Flygon would be preferred to the usually superior Garchomp due to his access to Screech and Somersault.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I believe Torkoal answers most of your needs very nicely. Huge defense, Rapid Spin, Will-o-wisp, and Yawn.

You could give your Rapid Spin to Donphan. To its credit, it also has a rather bulky physical defense, and helps a bit with your Tyranitar problem (although I believe it doesn't solve it completely).

Hippowdon is also another Pokemon you should consider. Blasts a Sandstorm, bulky defenses, good offense, Slack Off and also Yawn if you wish. Of course, in that case you should leave the Rapid Spinning to something else.

Those are some of my thoughts.

I believe Torkoal answers most of your needs very nicely. Huge defense, Rapid Spin, Will-o-wisp, and Yawn.
Wow, I completely overlooked Torkoal as a Spinner and Articuno switches into some of Torkoal's weaknesses quite nicely. The only thing I'm wary of is his own weakness to Stealth Rock - is it too counterintuitive to switch him in for spinning when he gets hurt a lot by it himself?

Wow, I completely overlooked Torkoal as a Spinner and Articuno switches into some of Torkoal's weaknesses quite nicely. The only thing I'm wary of is his own weakness to Stealth Rock - is it too counterintuitive to switch him in for spinning when he gets hurt a lot by it himself?
In theory, Yawn should give you enough breathing room for the leftovers recovery to more than make up for it, especially if you switch him into a resisted move (likely if the enemy is trying to hit your Articuno). In theory, anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)