Lopunny

[Overview]

<p>The combination of Klutz and Switcheroo grants Lopunny the niche of reliably crippling the opponent's Pokemon of choice with its harmful held item, giving it a helpful role on offensive teams. In addition, its wonderful support movepool and great Speed give Lopunny many ways to disrupt the opponent and aid the team. However Lopunny's terrible offenses, Defense, and lack of recovery typically hinder it from usage, as most teams find trouble using a team slot for pure support. When used successfully, however, Lopunny's teammates have a field day setting up with full health and plowing through the opponent's crippled team.</p>

[SET]
name: Klutz
move 1: Switcheroo
move 2: Encore
move 3: Healing Wish
move 4: Baton Pass / Thunder Wave
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Klutz
nature: Jolly
evs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Lopunny fits best on balanced and offensive teams because it aims to cripple the opponents Pokemon, making it easier for setup sweepers to rampage. With Klutz, Lopunny give any Pokemon its Choice Scarf with Switcheroo, making it easier for certain Pokemon to sweep because their only counter has the harmful item. Choice Scarf is the preferred item because of its consistency, as all walls despise being locked into one move and offensive Pokemon dislike the lack of coverage. Encore is another great disrupting move, as it stops setup sweepers and bothersome walls cold. When Lopunny is close to fainting, Healing Wish can be used, sacrificing Lopunny in hopes that a teammate can set up and beat the opponent. Baton Pass and Thunder Wave are both good options as Baton Pass can take advantage of all the switches Lopunny costs, and Thunder Wave can seriously cripple multiple Pokemon with little effort.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>With Lopunny's great Speed, it generally does not have problems crippling at least one Pokemon on the opponent's team, as it outspeeds the common base 95 Speed benchmark. Because of that, many Pokemon greatly enjoy Lopunny's support as they have a much easier time sweeping the opposition. Some great examples include Calm Mind Musharna, Nasty Plot Misdreavus, and Choice Band Golurk, as they all synergize well with Lopunny and love Thunder Wave support. Any Pokemon with immunities, such as Braviary or Metang, can partner well with it, as they can come in safely on a Pokemon locked into Earthquake or Toxic, respectively. Pokemon with Guts, such as Swellow and Ursaring, enjoy Baton Pass support, as they can get in safely and have their orbs activate. Because Lopunny is known for forcing switches, entry hazard setters such as Seismitoad, Golem, Scolipede, and Carracosta are all good choices to set up Stealth Rock or Spikes. Lastly, a move to greatly consider on Lopunny is Magic Coat, as it deflects harmul status moves and, more importantly, Taunt.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Lopunny can run many riskier items in conjunction with Klutz, such as a Choice Band, Choice Specs, or Flame Orb, but they all have smaller target ranges that can prove underwhelming in some cases. Other than that, Lopunny's other options are pretty limited. It can run a dedicated Baton Pass set with either Work Up, Agility, or Substitute, but it is generally outclassed in that regard. If Lopunny ever wants to go offensive, it can use Fake Out, Return, the elemental punches, or Circle Throw, but these attacks would be situational at best with their underwhelming power. Rest can grant Lopunny some recovery, but it cannot do much with fewer moveslots. Limber could also be used for Leftovers recovery, but Switcheroo and Klutz are Lopunny's greatest niche. Copycat could be used to take advantage of the opponent's moves as well, such as Stealth Rock or Spikes.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Because a very small majority of Pokemon enjoy holding a Choice Scarf, countering Lopunny can be difficult. If you send in a Pokemon that isn't crippled by a Choice Scarf, they are most likely vulnerable to Thunder Wave and vice-versa. If you need a perfect counter, Zebstraika or Raichu is the best option, as they are not affected—and even benefit—from both moves. Even though Lopunny has few pure counters, it is easy to work around. Many Pokemon can switch in and plow through Lopunny's low Defense, such as Sawk and Primeape. Taunt users also shut down Lopunny; Serperior and Liepard are faster options. Other than that, status and entry hazards both do a great job at wearing Lopunny down due to its lack of recovery.</p>

twerking before Miley

[Overview]
  • Its best niche is Klutz, allowing it to cripple most Pokemon with harmful items.
  • Its great support movepool allows it to act even more annoying, having Thunder Wave and Encore to disrupt the opponent, and even though it has zero offenses, it can disrupt many offensive Pokemon with its moves.
  • Its great speed allows it to outspeed common threats.
  • As a Normal-type, it has a marvelous movepool, its low offenses stop all hope for an attacking set.
  • Its lack of reliable recovery is obnoxious, and it can't even use leftovers with Klutz.
  • It has pretty good special defense, and it can tank one or two strong attacks before going down, but it has little defense and many physical attackers can KO or severely damage it.
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Fits best on balanced and offensive teams because it cripples Pokemon with in hopes of your partners sweeping.
  • As Pokemon with Eviolite such as Piloswine, Misdreavus, and Munchlax rise in usage, and with stall teams rising because of NU's great Spikes setters, being able to choose what gets crippled with Switcheroo can be a very important role for a team.
  • Lopunny has one shot to severely cripple a Pokemon, so you need to be careful and make it count.
  • Encore is a dead stop to any Pokemon using a non-attacking move.
  • Healing Wish fits well with Switcheroo, Encore, and Thunder Wave creating the almost ideal set up for an incoming sweeper.
  • Thunder Wave supports slower teammates, and it is great for crippling the opponent's switch-in expecting a Choice Scarf
  • Baton Pass can be used to take advantage of their switches, giving momentum to your team.
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • A Flame Orb can be held instead of Choice Scarf, but it won't hurt any special attacker as much as an unwanted Choice Scarf would, and Pokemon with Will-O-Wisp can burn multiple Pokemon anyway.
  • Outspeeds, everything below base 105, which is really nice, and it speed ties with Kadabra.
  • Good partners for Lopunny are Calm Mind Musharna, Nasty Plot Misdreavus, and Choice Band Golurk, who all love Thunder Wave support. If the opposing wall gets Switcheroo'ed, these sweepers can plow through teams.
  • Substitute Bulk Up Braviary can switch into an Encore'd or Switcheroo'ed Ground-type move and set up. Steel- and Poison-types can safely switch in on an encore'd Toxic. Ground-types can switch in on an encored Thunder Wave, etc.
  • Pokemon such as Ursaring and Swellow enjoy the Baton Pass as it safely gets them in (if the opponent is switching also) allowing their Orbs to activate.
  • Since Lopunny is all about forcing switches, entry hazard setters such as Seismitoad, Golem, Scolipede, and Carracosta are all good choices to set up Stealth Rocks or Spikes.
  • Magic Coat is a fun move that bounces back harmful moves, most importantly Taunt.
[Other Options]
  • It can Baton Pass Work Ups, Agilities, or Substitutes, but Pokemon that can recover themselves are preferred because they can set up multiple times.
  • Can Switcheroo other harmful items such as Choice Bands and Choice Specs which have better results when used correctly, but they can accidentally overpower the opponent.
  • It learns Fake Out, the elemental punches, Quick Attack, Drain Punch, and Circle Throw, but these attacks are situational at best and will not do enough damage to most Pokemon.
  • It can use a RestTalk set for recovery, but there is nothing Lopunny can do effectively with just two moves.
  • Copycat can be used after a switch-in to nab entry hazards or beneficial moves for the revenge kill.
  • It can use Limber to take advantage of Leftovers, but its niche of Klutz is overshadowed.
[Checks and Counters]
  • Any Pokemon that is comfortable with a Choice Scarf can switch into Switcheroo, but fears a Thunder Wave; any Pokemon that can switch into a Thunder Wave fears a Choice Scarf, so the only true Pokemon that can check this combo are Zebstraika and Raichu, but even they may have trouble breaking through Lopunny's special defense.
  • Most physical threats can switch in on a predicted Switcheroo and KO it with a strong STAB, such as Sawk, Primeape, Scolipede, and Tauros.
  • Taunt users shut it down, and Serperior and Liepard outspeed it as well.
  • Since Lopunny has no reliable recovery, residual damage from entry hazards and status wear it down very quickly.

Last edited:
There's a really useful Lopunny anti-lead set, which I think should definitely be the first mention in OO, if not a set itself. Copycat/Encore/Substitute/Baton Pass is the set. You set up a Sub first turn, then Encore a SR user or status user or w/e. Then Copycat for your own Rocks/so the opponent gets statused, and you can Baton Pass your Sub to something else so it has a safety net, while having room for a setup move or an attacking move. It's generally a very useful set, and offers great utility to the team, with a fast Encore and Copycat. It is, however, complete Taunt bait.

I don't think the whole set is worthy of a mention because of how much better its original set is. I will add copycat to other options, but no person would ever lay down rocks on a Lopunny :p

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This skeleton is much better is the other ones you have made, good job on that.

[Overview]
Add how all it can really do is disrupt and it cannot do much else, which is why it's not easy to fit into most teams. Also add that it has zero offensive presence, but it can still prevent set up against it with its moves (Switcheroo a Scarf, Encore, and even Twave can prevent set up from becoming dangerous)

[Set]
Make the EVs 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe. If you can outspeed Charizard and tie with Kadabra you might as well; plus not like the bulk is really going to be that crucial.

[Set Comments]
Fix w/e your first point was supposed to be. I assume something about it having no offensive presence, but providing support?

[AC]
Since EV spread change, fix accordingly. I don't think Alomomola is really needed as a mention. Lopunny is mainly there to cripple fast Pokemon with Twave and cripple walls with Switcheroo Scarf, so I think more offensive partners would be better to mention. Add whichever you want (CB Golurk for one sounds pretty good for synergy + likes Twave and Tangela/Alomo getting Switcheroo'd)

Implement and I will look at it again @Lolkomori

[Overview]
  • Cut the second point because it's really not true at all. Switcheroo might be common on Lopunny, but what item it holds is going to be unknown until it uses Switcheroo because of Klutz. You might switch in a Camerupt or a Charizard wanting to receive a Flame Orb and then end up being given a Choice item or even a fucking Sticky Barb if the user is nuts. At the same time, if you switch in your Scarf Primeape hoping to receive a Choice Scarf and end up receiving a Flame Orb or Choice Specs, you might end up losing the game. With this being said, timing is pretty crucial when using Lopunny. You get one chance to cripple something on the opponent's team with your item, and doing so at the right time can win you a game. Make a mention of how important it is to use Lopunny well if you want it to succeed. Other Pokemon can just spam certain moves and succeed, but Lopunny very much cannot.
[SET COMMENTS]
  • Again, I wouldn't call Lopunny predictable. On your point about Baton Pass, just mention that it can be used to give momentum to your team on forced switches.
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Change the mention of the EV spread to say that it allows Lopunny to outspeed anything under base 105 and speed tie with Kadabra. Also, Tauros always outspeeds anyways because it's base 110 and Lopunny is base 105, so get rid of that.
  • Move the mention of Healing Wish from Other Options to here. Healing Wish is an excellent move, and it works exceedingly well with Encore support to give your team's setup sweepers a free turn and another chance to sweep with fully restored health/removal of status.
  • You can also mention Status Orb Pokemon as good partners, as Encore + Baton Pass gives them a free switch while Lopunny can give any Pokemon that wall them a Choice Scarf.
[Other Options]
  • Again, move Healing Wish to AC.
  • Add a mention of Limber. With Limber, Lopunny can actually utilize Leftovers (which it will often receive after using Switcheroo), but it limits the opportunities for it to use the move.
  • You can also make mentions of other Choice items here as items for Lopunny to Switcheroo. Choice Band and Choice Specs might be more situational, but the correct Choice item can cripple both offensive and defensive threats, giving pros and cons to Scarf and the other items.
  • Make a short mention that Copycat can also allow you to revenge kill some Pokemon. For example, you can often switch into Haunter with Lopunny, as if it uses Substitute, Destiny Bond, or Pain Split, you can Encore it into the move, and if it uses Shadow Ball, you can Copycat it if it's within range of being knocked out. It's not reliable all the time, but it can help in certain situations.
This is a good skeleton, so don't feel down on yourself about it! I'm just super nit-picky and like to explain things in detail, so you did nothing wrong. :) Implement these changes, and I'll stamp.

K thanks, im kinda in school rn so i can't double check cause the bell is about to ring :p I think i got everything though!

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
In AC when talking that it Speed ties with Kadabra make the change of but to and. "But" has a negative connotation in this case and kind of makes it seem like it's not a good thing. Which of course is not true since Lopunny beats Kadabra 1v1 anyways.

QC Approved 1/3

Don't really understand why Return is a move on the set. Yes it stops it from being Taunt bait, but what are the Taunters in NU? Mandibuzz? Weezing? Misdreavus? Yeah good luck doing absolutely anything to them. I would personally way prefer to see the fourth moveslot replaced with Baton Pass or Healing Wish, the additional momentum or support far outweighs the laughable chip damage you'll be doing with Return

Even Magic Coat is better vs Taunt users than Return.

Last edited:
Yeah i totally agree with you. I made the last slot Magic Coat / Baton Pass, and left Encore by itself, because Encore+Baton Pass is its most successful combination.

I don't like Magic Coat at all really. Return doesn't hit too hard, but at least Lopunny is fast enough to hit shit like Jynx for a solid KO after SR + a layer of Spikes. I'm ok with the last slash being Baton Pass / Return, but I really don't care for Magic Coat on the set and not offering any offensive option at all. Before you write this up, we need to make sure we're ok with what's being written about. @ebeast @Raseri @tennisace @DTC @Sweet Jesus @Zebraiken @Annoyer @FLCL @whoever else I missed

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yeah Magic Coat is probably fine in AC or OO or whatever, it's a neat option to fuck with opposing hazard leads a la Bastiodon, but prolly shouldn't be on the main set. Also if you aren't using Return, the nature should probably be Timid with a minimum attack IV to reduce Foul Play / Confusion damage.

O yea. Ill just wait until the final decision is made and then I will redo all changes that the skeleton needs.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Before this is written up, I would like to suggest a couple of things. First, I feel like the order of the moves should be: Switcheroo / Encore / Healing Wish / TWave|BP. I also have no qualms with Healing Wish and BP slashed together and T Wave getting the third slot to itself. The thing is, looking at Lopunny makes me feel that its main role should be creating the maximum number of set up opportunities for its teammates. Magic Coat and Return don't particularly help this goal, and should be moved to AC (Magic Coat bouncing hazards is nice, but wouldn't you rather Encore them into the move and create a safer switch-in for a teammates? Plus you really don't deter Taunters much with no attack investment). Now, I've talked to Treecko about it a little, but I want to hear the rest of QC and anyone else who's had experience with Lopunny to discuss this a bit more.

Second, I feel like you should add in more Pokemon that enjoy the set-up opportunities/free switches that Lopunny brings to the table. SubBU Braviary is amazing when you Choice-lock/Encore a Ground-type move, Ground-types love opponents locked into Thunder Wave, Poisons and Steels love Toxic locked, etc. Then there are Pokes that enjoy the free switch that a well-timed Baton Pass provides, like Ursaring and Swellow. I feel like limiting the teammates to just the hazard setters and three sweepers is a shame.

Last edited:
ok, seems like no one else is too concerned about this one. I'm fine with Switcheroo / Encore / Healing Wish / Baton Pass | Thunder Wave. Make sure to implement the changes in WhiteDMist's post as well.

Write it up Lolkomori

K the skeleton is edited. I might have time wednesday to write this up, but it looks like the weekend will be my best bet.

yea i posted in the main thread saying i have had little time to work on this. I know I am near or past the deadline so if anyone wants to take it over they can, but if no one wants to, sunday night looks like the next time i might be able to work on it.

K it is written, i still need to go over it though a few more times.

Edit: k check it pls

Last edited:

Governess

A Beautiful Blossom Waiting to Bloom
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hihi, GP Check! :)

Additions / Changes

Removes
Comments

[Overview]

<p>The combination of Klutz and Switcheroo grants Lopunny the niche of reliably crippling the opponent's pPokemon of choice with its harmful held item, giving it a helpful role on offensive teams. In addition, its wonderful support movepool and great sSpeed allow give Lopunny many fun ways to disrupt the opponent and to aid the team. But, (Rule of thumb: never, ever use a coordinator (FANBOYS) at the beginning of a sentence.) However, (RC) Lopunny's terrible offenses, Defense, and lack of recovery typically hinder it from usage, because as most teams find trouble using a team slot for pure support. When used successfully, however, Lopunny's teammates have a field day setting up with full health and plowing through the opponent's Switcheroo'ed and paralyzed crippled team.</p>

[SET]
(no line break here)

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Lopunny fits best on balanced and offensive teams because it aims to cripple the opponents Pokemon, making it easier for set-up sweepers to rampage. (If you are talking about Pokemon that have already set up, leave that be, but if you mean setup sweepers in general, change it to 'setup'.) With Klutz, Lopunny can choose which Pokemon receives give any Pokemon its the Choice Scarf with Switcheroo, making it easier for certain Pokemon to sweep because their only counter has the harmful item. (Lopunny doesn't really 'choose' which Pokemon gets the item.) Choice Scarf is the preferred item because of it's consistency, as all walls despise being locked into one move and offensive Pokemon dislike the lack of coverage. Encore is another great disrupting move, as it stops setup sweepers and bothersome walls cold. When Lopunny is about to faint close to fainting, Healing Wish gives the incoming sweeper the best chance of setting up and beating the opponent. Baton Pass and Thunder Wave are both good options as Baton Pass can take advantage of all the switches Lopunny costs, and Thunder Wave can seriously cripple multiple Pokemon with little effort.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>With Lopunny's great sSpeed, it generally does not have problems crippling at least one Pokemon on the opponent's team, as it outspeeds the common base 95 Speed benchmark. Because of that, many Pokemon greatly enjoy Lopunny's support as their they have a much easier time sweeping the opposition; sweeping job has been made much easier. Some great examples are include Calm Mind Musharna, Nasty Plot Misdreavus, and Choice Band Golurk, who as they all synergize well with Lopunny and love Thunder Wave support. Any Pokemon with immunities, (AC) such as Braviary and Metang, (AC) can partner well with it, such as Braviary and Metang, who as they can come in safely on an Encore'd Pokemon trapped into using Earthquake or Toxic, respectively. Pokemon with Guts, such as Swellow and Ursaring, enjoy Baton Pass support, as they can get in safely and have their Oorbs activate. Since Because Lopunny is known for forcing switches, entry hazard setters such as Seismitoad, Golem, Scolipede, and Carracosta are all good choices to set up Stealth Rocks or Spikes. Lastly, a move to greatly consider on Lopunny is Magic Coat, as it deflects harmul status moves and, more importantly, Taunt.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Lopunny can run many riskier items in conjunction with Klutz, (AC) such as a Choice Band, Choice Specs, or a Flame Orb, but they all have smaller target ranges that can prove underwhelming in some cases. Other than that, its Lopunny's other options are pretty limited. Lopunny It can run a dedicated Baton Pass set with either Work Up, Agility, or Substitute, but it is generally outclassed in that regard. If Lopunny ever wants to go offensive, it can use Fake Out, Return, the elemental punches, or Circle Throw, but these attacks would be situational at best with their underwhelming power. Rest can grant Lopunny some recovery, but it cannot do much with fewer moveslots. Limber could also be used for Leftovers recovery, but Switcheroo and Klutz is its are Lopunny's greatest niche. Copycat could be used to take advantage of the opponent's moves as well, such as Stealth Rocks or Spikes.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Since Because very few a very small majority of Pokemon enjoy holding a Choice Scarf, countering it Lopunny can be difficult. (I'm no QC, but I wouldn't say 'very few'; most of the offensive Pokemon in the tier can function with a Choice Scarf fine.) If you send in a Pokemon that enjoys a Choice Scarf, they are most likely vulnerable to Thunder Wave and vise-versa. So, iIf you need a perfect counter, Zebstraika or Raichu is the best option, because as they enjoy both are not affected&mdash;and even benefit&mdash;from both moves. Even though Lopunny has few pure counters, it is easy to work around. Many Pokemon can switch in and plow through Lopunny's low Defense, such as Sawk and Primeape. Taunt users also shut down Lopunny; Serperior and Liepard are faster options. Other than that, status and entry hazards both do a great job at wearing it Lopunny down with it's due to its lack of recovery options.</p>

GP APPROVED 1/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)