Lunala Discussion

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
One thing you're badly underestimating is Will-o-Wisp. It turns otherwise-solid counters like Yveltal and non-Lum Arceus into shaky checks.
Offensive Yveltal in Ubers is mostly special or specially biased mixed so it shouldn't have problems dealing with Lunala.

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Lunala is going to be so rad, I get the 4xweaknesses but that multiscale clone + moongeist beam is going to a game changer. Though it's offenses aren't that massive, but all around good defenses + multiscale is going to fuck stall up.

The two double weaknesses it has are really annoying, but how many Pokemon in Ubers do carry moves of these types? Yveltal, Giratina-O, some Arceus formes and lol Darkrai.

Everything else is having a bad time trying to break through this thing with stupid bulk + Multiscale clone + WoW + recovery.

Liking it.

A calm mind set could be pretty cool with what it has now.

Lunala
Timid
Shadow Shield
Leftovers
4 HP/ 252 Sp.Atk/ 252 Spd

Moongeist Beam
Moonblast
Calm Mind
WoW/Roost-Moonlight

MG Beam for STAB, Moonblast to threaten dark types that might want to swap in, Calm mind for set up, and Will-o-wisp to take on physical threats or swap it for recovery. I'm pretty confident that Shadow Shield could absorb a good hit so bulk I'm not too worried about.

TBH I was kinda hoping it'd be not as good as it is only because I wanted to use this thing in OU based off it's cool design but yeah that bulk, ability and movepool pretty much cemented it in the Ubers tier.

Can we just take a moment to appreciate how much this thing destroys stall? M-Sableye can't take Moonblast, the BlissTina core is demolished by STAB Psyshock and Moongeist Beam respectively, and if Moongeist Beam ignores Unaware, this thing can set up Calm Minds all over Clefable. Also, immunity to Fake Out means it can Anti-Lead M-Sableye or force it to run Protect, which, if predicted, is a free Calm Mind. I'm really liking this mon so far.

Can we just take a moment to appreciate how much this thing destroys stall? M-Sableye can't take Moonblast, the BlissTina core is demolished by STAB Psyshock and Moongeist Beam respectively, and if Moongeist Beam ignores Unaware, this thing can set up Calm Minds all over Clefable. Also, immunity to Fake Out means it can Anti-Lead M-Sableye or force it to run Protect, which, if predicted, is a free Calm Mind. I'm really liking this mon so far.
Mold Breaker does indeed ignore Unaware, so I think Moongeist beam will too.

A lot of people were saying this Pokémon wasn't going to be very good, but actually looking at it now they were dead wrong. Good attack power, great bulk (especially with not Multiscale factored in) and a fantastic movepool. Some sets I'm seeing:

Full Moon (All Out Attacker)
Lunala @ Choice Specs / Spooky Plate / Mind Plate / Expert Belt
Ability: Shadow Shield
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moongeist Beam
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast / Roost

Moongeist Beam is the main STAB, having great coverage and bypassing Lugia's Multiscale and opposing Lunala's Shadow Shield. Psyshock is the alternate STAB; with a Choice Specs, it guarantees a 2HKO on Blissey and Ho-Oh, who could otherwise wall this set. Moonblast hits the Dark types that resist Lunala's STABs - it OHKOes offensive Yveltal after Stealth Rock with an Expert Belt. Focus Blast gets a stronger hit on Dark Arceus and Normal Arceus, OHKOing the former after Stealth Rock with Choice Specs. Run Roost if you're not using Choice Specs to restore HP, and let Lunala fire off strong attacks for longer.

The EVs simply maximise Speed and power. Choice Specs gives the biggest boost, but it does lock you into one move. Spooky Plate guarantees the 2HKO on Primal Groudon with Moongeist Beam. Mind Plate lets you 2HKO Ho-Oh with Psyshock most of the time. An Expert Belt guarantees the OHKO on offensive Yveltal with Moonblast. You could run Life Orb, but the recoil breaks Shadow Shield.

Moonrise (Calm Mind)
Lunala @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moongeist Beam
- Moonblast / Psyshock
- Roost / Psyshock / Substitute

While it may seem outclassed by Ghost Arceus, which has bette Speed and no 4X weaknesses, Lunala compensates by having more power, being able to hold Leftovers and freeing up your Arceus forme. Calm Mind boosts Lunala's Special Attack to huge levels. Moongeist Beam is the strongest STAB, and also bypasses Multiscale and Unaware. Moonblast OHKOes offensive Yveltal most of the time at +1, although you have to watch out for Sucker Punch. Psyshock can be used instead to hit Blissey and Ho-Oh, although forgoing Moonblast means Dark types will now wall this set. Roost restores Lunala's HP, giving it an easier time sweeping. Substitute can be used to turn Blissey into set up fodder.

The EVs simply maximise Speed and power. Leftovers lets you set up more easily. With 3 attacks, you could also run an Expert Belt or Spooky Plate. This set can be used in a number of ways. With Roost or Substitute, it's best used as a late game sweeper and win condition. With 3 attacks, it's best used as a hole puncher.

Luna Eclipse (Substitute)
Lunala @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Moongeist Beam
- Moonblast
- Roost / Toxic / Psyshock / Will-O-Wisp

Substitute shields Lunala from status and gives it a barrier against revenge killing. Moongeist Beam is Lunala's main STAB, hitting hard and bypassing abilities. Moonblast hits the Dark types that resist Moongeist Beam, 2HKOing any Yvetal. Roost restores HP, letting Lunala stall out weak walls. Toxic cripples Pokémon like Ho-Oh and Primal Groudon. Psyshock can be used to dent Ho-Oh. Will-O-Wisp cripples physical attackers not named Primal Groudon or Ho-Oh.

The EVs maximise Speed and power. Even with no investment at all, Lunala can still make 101 HP Substitutes. Leftovers restores HP lost through Substitutes.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Lunala is assured to be fantastic in the Ubers metagame. The fundamental question you have to ask with Lunala is "what can I switch into Moongeist Beam." The answer is "very little." Assuming Spooky Plate, Ho-oh can tank it and avoid a 2HKO from +1 Moongeist Beam, but can potentially be 2HKOd.

+1 252 SpA Spooky Plate Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 52 SpD Ho-Oh: 202-238 (48.6 - 57.3%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO

+1 Moonblast OHKOs Darkrai, LO Darkrai can't actually OHKO with Dark Pulse.

Yveltal is the best bet, but Moonblast can OHKO it too if Rocks are down.

Focus Blast OHKO's Extreme Killer Arceus with rocks down, although Lunala may want to opt for Roost over either Moonblast or Focus Blast depending on your team needs. Otherwise, random Arceus forms are 2HKO'd or OHKO'd and can't KO through Multiscale.

Basically, Lunala has plenty of offense and is unlikely to be switching directly into these threats. Offensively it puts on a lot of pressure because Ubers aren't set up to cope with Ghost + strong anti-normal / anti-dark coverage.

Then of course it will have a defensive set with Wisp and Roost, simply because it can. It's not effective vs. Ho-oh and PDon, but it's there. In short I wouldn't worry about Lunala finding a home in Ubers. It has a lot to recommend it both offensively and defensively, and it threatens even Uber level threats with a very difficult to resist signature move.

What is the best hidden power for that pokemon? And does it really need specific one?
Doesn't need Hidden Power. Moongeist Beam already 2HKOes most things that don't resist it / aren't dedicated special walls, it gets STAB Psyshock to wreck Blissey and Ho-Oh, Moonblast to hurt Yveltal, and Focus Blast to wreck Tyranitar.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
*Sees Cosmog's stats and movepool* I'm going to guess this is why people are saying you'll want the EXP Share on. However the end results are looking worth it...

High HP and Special Attack, good Attack, nice bulk (thoug its typing still has two quadruple weaknesses), its just the Speed that's a shame for not reaching that 100 benchmark. Though compared to other Legendaries you can do worse.

STABs with Moongeist Beam (or Shadow Ball if you don't want the low PP) & Psyshock/Psychic (it also gets Hypnosis + Dream Eater); other Special moves are Air Slash, Night Daze, Moonblast, Ice Beam/Blizzard, Thunderbolt/Thunder, and Focus Blast; if you go for mix its Physicals are Phantom Force/Shadow Claw (though no Zen Headbutt), Return, Aerial Ace/Acrobatics... you know what just stick with a Special set. Finally utilities are Cosmic Power, Hypnosis, Confuse Ray, Moonlight/Roost, Magic Coat, Wide Guard, Calm Mind, dual screens, Safeguard, Double Team, Will-O-Wisp, Thunder Wave, and Substitute.

Doesn't really have mixed potential as Solgaleo does, but it has plenty of Special options so doesn't matter. It can do what you need it to do, just the same there's no way to increase its Speed (aside paralyzing opponents with Thunder Wave). Lunala looks like it'll be much about boosting itself/nerfing opponents as it is about directly attacking (not that it can't just do that, but with its type combo it needs to be a bit more careful; luckily it has its Ability and healing).

I thought this thing would be Ghost/Fairy at first with Solgaleo being Fire/Steel :(

This thing would have been busted if it's ability was a better Filter and Multiscale combined. Sad GameFreak didn't go all the way and decided to rename a bunch of abilities

I thought this thing would be Ghost/Fairy at first with Solgaleo being Fire/Steel :(

This thing would have been busted if it's ability was a better Filter and Multiscale combined. Sad GameFreak didn't go all the way and decided to rename a bunch of abilities
A combination of Filter and Multiscale would've been broken as hell, and made it virtually impossible to kill without STAB Ghost and Dark moves.

For a defensive set would Thunder Wave, Toxic or Will-O-Wisp be better?

A combination of Filter and Multiscale would've been broken as hell, and made it virtually impossible to kill without STAB Ghost and Dark moves.

For a defensive set would Thunder Wave, Toxic or Will-O-Wisp be better?
I'd think will-o-wisp would be better since most Dark/Ghost type attacks are coming from the physical side i.e. Knock Off/Sucker Punch Yveltal, Shadow Claw E-Speed Arceus, Tyranitar, etc. I'm wondering what team mates would be helpful for our bat?

Last edited:
I'd think will-o-wisp would be better since most Dark/Ghost type attacks are coming from the physical side i.e. Knock Off/Sucker Punch Yveltal, Shadow Claw E-Speed Arceus, Tyranitar, etc. I'm wondering what team mates would be helpful for our bat?
Honestly, depends what set you're running. All out attacker sets are hole punchers, so sweepers like Rock Polish P Groudon, Extreme Killer Arceus and Geomancy Xerneas appreciate its ability to smash holes in the opponent's team. Groudon and Arceus like having something that smashes Lugia and Giratina-O, while Xerneas likes having something that can take out Ho-Oh, Blissey, Solgaleo, Aegislash and Primal Groudon.

If the Calm Mind set isn't running Moonblast, defensive Xerneas and Fairy Arceus are good teammates as they can take out the Dark types that trouble Lunala. If it's not running Psyshock, Ho-Oh can be problematic; Rock Arceus and Zekrom can take it out.

I am guessing that with everyone trying out Solgaleo and Lunala in Ubers and the huge Darkrai nerf, there is going to be a huge surge in Yveltal usage. Besides Yveltal though, Lunala really doesn't have that many big threats and I think she's going to be fantastic in the tier.

I am guessing that with everyone trying out Solgaleo and Lunala in Ubers and the huge Darkrai nerf, there is going to be a huge surge in Yveltal usage. Besides Yveltal though, Lunala really doesn't have that many big threats and I think she's going to be fantastic in the tier.
Yveltal still doesn't want to take a Moonblast to the face - the standard offensive set is OHKOed after Rocks, if Lunala is at +1 / using an Expert Belt.

This thing has no counters.

Last edited:
if Yveltal gets in tho, it can Sucker Punch it, and that'll sting.

But Moonblast on the switch is always a problem, if you don't heal Yveltal up with Roost or Oblivion Wing at another time in the match, you can only come in on this thing relatively safely once, and after that, you can't stop it.

I really like how Solagleo and Lunala will change the Ubers Meta.

This thing looks amazing. Godly movepool with amazing stats, and now one of its would-be biggest threats is going to be stranded on OU. We really shouldn't have judged this thing just based on its typing alone in the past. I could definitely see Calm Mind+3 attacks and bulky sets with Will-O-Wisp and Roost being its best sets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)