Pokémon Lurantis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sobi

Banned deucer.
Thanks to Celticpride for approving this :]

Sun: It requires a lot of effort to maintain Lurantis’s vivid coloring, but some collectors enjoy this work and treat it as their hobby.
Moon: It fires beams from its sickle-shaped petals. These beams are powerful enough to cleave through thick metal plates.

NAME

Lurantis

TYPE

Grass

POKÉDEX

BASE STATS

HP: 70
Atk: 105
Def: 90
SpA: 80
SpD: 90
Spe: 45

ABILITY

Leaf Guard | Prevents the Pokémon from receiving status conditions during strong sunlight.

(Hidden Ability) Contrary | Moves used on the Pokémon that raise stats lower the stats, while the moves that lower the stats raise the stat.

LEVEL UP MOVES

1: Petal Blizzard
1: X-Scissor
1: Fury Cutter
1: Leafage
1: Razor Leaf
1: Growth
5: Leafage
10: Razor Leaf
14: Growth
19: Ingrain
23: Leaf Blade
28: Synthesis
32: Slash
40: Sweet Scent
47: Solar Blade
55: Sunny Day

TECHNICAL MACHINE [TM] MOVES

TM06: Toxic
TM10: Hidden Power
TM11: Sunny Day
TM15: Hyper Beam
TM17: Protect
TM20: Safeguard
TM21: Frustration
TM22: Solar Beam
TM27: Return
TM28: Leech Life
TM31: Brick Break
TM32: Double Team
TM40: Aerial Ace
TM42: Facade
TM44: Rest
TM45: Attract
TM47: Low Sweep
TM48: Round
TM53: Energy Ball
TM54: False Swipe
TM56: Fling
TM66: Payback
TM68: Giga Impact
TM75: Swords Dance
TM81: X-Scissor
TM84: Poison Jab
TM86: Grass Knot
TM87: Swagger
TM88: Sleep Talk
TM90: Substitute
TM96: Nature Power
TM100: Confide

EGG MOVES

Weather Ball
Giga Drain
Aromatherapy
Defog
Leaf Storm

Z MOVES

Breakneck Blitz
All-Out Pummeling
Supersonic Skystrike
Acid Downpour
Savage Spin-Out
Bloom Doom
Black Hole Eclipse

LURANTIS ANALYSIS

stat-wise, lurantis is decent—base 105 attack seems promising, and it has okay base 90 defenses. it has a great ability in contrary, which allows it to spam leaf storm and accumulate special attack boosts; its bulk also helps it with this. finally, it doesn't have to rely on getting lots of special attack boosts because it has a passable base 80 special attack stat.

POTENTIAL MOVESET(S)

Lurantis @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 116 HP / 252 SpA / 140 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Synthesis
- Toxic
- Leaf Storm

description: this set takes advantage of contrary to spam life orb-boosted leaf storm and gain as many special attack boosts as possible, which is further helped by decent bulk. 140 speed evs allow lurantis to outspeed neutral politoed and OHKO it, support tyranitar and 2KHO it, and outspeed hippowdon and OHKO it. max special attack to boost leaf storm and rest in HP for bulk. honestly, lurantis has a poor movepool and nothing stands out. sub can be used to safely spam leaf storms—use it on predicted switches or against passive mons. synthesis allows lurantis to stay healthy. toxic is nice to weaken down foes, and helps with leaf storm KOs

Lurantis @ Grassium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leaf Storm (Bloom Doom)
- Defog
- Synthesis
- Aromatherapy

description: lurantis can run a bulky support set, still taking advantage of contrary leaf storm to not be passive. defog allows it to remove entry hazards from both sides of the fields, supporting teammates; its pure grass typing allows it to take advantage of this. synthesis provides lurantis with recovery, while aromatherapy lets it further support its teammates by relieving them of status.

(sets subject to change as discussion develops)

PERSONAL OPINION

in my opinion, lurantis won't see much usage and will probably drop down to nu. a bland typing in grass means it's weak to offensive types in fire and flying and an even more bland movepool means it just doesn't stand out and is more predictable. its worse trait is a terrible base 45 speed stat that makes spamming contrary leaf storm difficult—lurantis also faces lots of competition from serperior, which has better coverage and speed. topics for discussion: are there any unexplored niches lurantis has? and can it find its place in the ou tier?

Last edited:
It's really sad because it has a great ability and a fairly good movepool, but it has NO moves to use to take advantage of Contrary besides Leaf Storm. Give this thing Superpower and it might be able to find a spot in OU as a bulky sweeper, maybe. Pop an Assault Vest on the thing and watch it go to town with Leaf Blade, Superpower, Poison Jab, and Leech Life. But of course, that's only if Gamefreak decides to be nice and try to buff up all of the lackluster mons this gen.

Really no point in wasting time on physical moves TBH. It sucks that its best stat is basically wasted BST but them's the breaks.

I think Lurantis's best shot at contributing anything past being a bad Serperior or even Servine is going to be a Defog set. Defog is pretty unique for a pure Grass type, and Contrary Leaf Storm at least keeps it from being super passive if offensive teams try to take advantage of it. This is in a theoretical SuMo PU tier, of course... and even then, if past NU staples like Shiftry find themselves in PU this gen, this niche might not be enough. Really unfortunate case because I like this guy's design a lot.

With those stats I think Lurantis would have more potential with an ability like Chlorophyll, because then it would be able to run an ok-ish Solar Blade set in the sun. It has a fantastic ability but no moves other than Leaf Storm to really utilize it, plus it's far too slow. On the contrary (pun intended) it does have pretty decent defenses, so it should be possible to run a decent defog set in the lower tiers but that's about it.

What about a Sunny Day Build? With SolarBlade/Synthesis and Leaf Guard this Pokemon screams for a bulky build like this:
Lurantis @ Leftovers
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 116 HP / 200 Atk / 52 Def / 140 Sp.Def
Impish Nature
- Solar Blade
- Sunny Day
- Synthesis
- Swords Dance/Leech Life/Poison Jab

Sobi

Banned deucer.
What about a Sunny Day Build? With SolarBlade/Synthesis and Leaf Guard this Pokemon screams for a bulky build like this:
Lurantis @ Leftovers
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 116 HP / 200 Atk / 52 Def / 140 Sp.Def
Impish Nature
- Solar Blade
- Sunny Day
- Synthesis
- Swords Dance/Leech Life/Poison Jab
could you explain what the evs & natures do? they seem quite complicated. in the last slot i'd personally go for leaf blade for a stab move to use when sun's not up.. leech life is ok, but i don't really like non-stab bug coverage (bar u-turn because pivoting's nice).. tho the recovery can be nice i guess.

could you explain what the evs & natures do? they seem quite complicated. in the last slot i'd personally go for leaf blade for a stab move to use when sun's not up.. leech life is ok, but i don't really like non-stab bug coverage (bar u-turn because pivoting's nice).. tho the recovery can be nice i guess.
messed my calaculations a bit sorry for that so if i am right this time with a 116 HP / 200 Atk / 136 Def / 56 Sp.Def you will be able to hold:
252 Atk Adamant Toucannon @ Life Orb / Drill Peck = guaranteed 2HKO
252 Sp.Atk Modest Primarina @ Choice Specs / Ice Beam = guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Adamant Golispod @ Life Orb / X-Scizor = guaranteed 2HKO
252 Sp.Atk Modest Drampa @ Life Orb / Flame Thrower = guaranteed 2HKO

While it isn't ideal, Contrary still has some use on a physical set. You still get a speed boost from Sticky Web, and can actually make use of the attack boost from Intimidate. It's also bulkier than other Contrary mons (bar Shuckle) and has access to Synthesis, so it might be able to carve a niche for itself as a wall/tank that can't be worn down by moves that have a chance to lower defenses. Finally, with its unique combination of Contrary and Defog, it can quickly become a huge pain in the ass if faced with a mon with Magic Bounce, though the only move it gets that's particularly Magic Bounce worthy is Toxic, so it's not like Magic Bounce users have that big a reason to switch into this thing in the first place.

It could also work well in along with a mega-Charizard Y since there is no need to cast Sunny Day for itself, it can remove pesky Stealth rocks with Defog and counters both Water/Rock type Pokemon.

I'm just have a hard time seeing why I'd run this over other things. I guess lurantis would have a niche on a trick room team as a defogger/cleanup, but it has no way to sweep, and its very reliant on being against a stall team to wall break and setup. In fact, a lot of stall mons outspeed this.

For a grass defogger/spinner, I seen no reason to run it over kartana, tsareena, or dhelmise even
For a sweeper, serperior exist
For a tank, its recovery is unreliable in what looks like another weather war gen (aurora veil, rain) while making the type its weak too stronger if its ran on sun teams.

I just cannot see why I'd run this on any team, I'd have to try to purpose make a trick room team built around lurantis just to say "its better than quiet natured serperior".

I guess the fact it can defog, have higher offenses, and invest defensive is a niche over serp but other pokemon put it to shame even in UU.

Last edited:
wasted potential in such a cool looking pokemon. Funny how GF made it even more redundant with Tsareena. While both are pure grass types with hazard removal moves, she has better stats, movepool and ability that works with it's kit. poor lurantis looks even worse than leavanny. I see it being pretty mediocre in PU

At least they could have made Solar Blade the physical equivalent of Leaf Storm, not Solar Beam, and it could have turned out decent.

It's terrible no matter how you look at it. I think I'm starting to like Sunflora after looking at Lurantis lol

Okay, so Lurantis probably won't end up in OU or even UU. THAT'S OKAY. Please don't invalidate the lower tiers or their Pokemon, people. I mentioned this in the Toucannon thread and it looks like I'll have to mention it several times over. Lower tier =/= worthless. Sure, Pokemon in lower tiers are, more often than not, outclassed by Pokemon in higher tiers. But that's why they're in lower tiers - they can shine in metagames where higher-tier Pokemon are banned.

Back to Lurantis, though, he will likely find a niche as PU's Serperior (or maybe even NU's Serperior), outclassing Servine at least with access to Defog. Contrary is great because you can get SpA boosts from Leaf Storm, Spe boosts from switching into Sticky Web, Atk boosts from switching into Intimidate, and random other stat boosts from secondary effects of various attacks. Here's a set I've been running to moderate success:

fabulous gay trash (Lurantis) @ Grassium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leaf Storm
- Defog
- Synthesis
- Aromatherapy

You don't need any other attack aside from Leaf Storm because at 2x SpA Bloom Doom still hits like a truck. Defog sets Lurantis apart from Servine/Serperior and other Grass-types in general, and Synthesis and Aromatherapy are for staying healthy. If you want I guess you can replace Grassium Z with Leftovers for more healing.

Here's a set that I haven't tried yet, but may be good, idk:

Lurantis @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Brave Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Defog
- Leech Life/physical coverage move of your choice
- Aromatherapy

Basically a mixed set that can take advantage of Intimidate. Max out Atk because SpA gets STAB and Leaf Storm boosts. Run Brave nature because Lurantis is slow enough to not mind the Speed-hindering Nature. For the physical coverage move I chose Leech Life because it can recover HP in tandem with Leftovers, but really any physical coverage move can work.

All these people talking about how it's so nice for sun teams to have hazard control.

Yeah, torkoal here gets rocks + spin + yawn + autosun now. If you're running hazard control on a sun team, you're going to run torkoal. Grass types aren't exactly hard to come by on sun teams, either.

Don't get me wrong, I quite like lurantis and want it to be good. But I don't think sun team cleric/hazard control is its niche.

All these people talking about how it's so nice for sun teams to have hazard control.

Yeah, torkoal here gets rocks + spin + yawn + autosun now. If you're running hazard control on a sun team, you're going to run torkoal. Grass types aren't exactly hard to come by on sun teams, either.

Don't get me wrong, I quite like lurantis and want it to be good. But I don't think sun team cleric/hazard control is its niche.
Tbf, running torkoal as your spinning while it doesn't get recovery is asking for trouble. I'd still run a spinner/defogger on torkoal teams since he's not that great as a package and if he has to come in to remove hazards multiple times he'll kill himself. Lurantis being that support, yea.. no unless for some reason torkoal is still PU / NU.

I really think all lurantis is good for is a trick room hazard controller. Even if lurantis is PU, I can see myself putting lurantis on a trick room team in OU for the sake of hazard control and offensive pressure at the same time.

im sure this thing could have a real and legitimate niche in lower tiers but in ou is utter garbage. a contrary set looks acceptable i guess but it has like no coverage outside of leaf storm + hp, which is somewhat what serperior suffers from as well, but at least serperior has legit utility uses (glare and taunt mostly) that this thing lacks. as a defogger, to put it bluntly, most of the time ur just gonna wish u were running another mon lol. it doesnt have the speed nor the bulk to pull it off tbh.

How viable is a bulky Contrary Leaf Storm/Aromatherapy/Defog/Synthesis set? It seems like the best set it can run to me, giving its team Cleric and Hazard-removing support, giving itself longevity, and still being able to dish out Serperior damage if something doesn't respect it.

You guys see a shitmon, I see a pokemon that benefits from Sun AND can blow away hazards, something every sun team was missing desperately. Defenitely not anywhere close to OU material, but I'll be keeping an eye on it as the meta stabilizes...
shiftry got u covered. no point on using lurantis when he exists

There is some design problems regarding the -arguably- most beautiful Grass type: such Atk stat with no physical moves useful with Contrary (i.e. Superpower, CC and so on). This means that a lot of its stats are wasted.
This thing doesn't even have the possibile to use SR/Spikes in order to force an opposite Defog in order to increase its evasiveness.

===> RU material, and is such a shame with this beautiful sprite. Sadly, style points don't make a pokemon viable.

It makes sense to run it as an "all out attacker" which uses random Intimidates to boosts its Atk (so it makes sense to use a CB), but still we are talking about lower tiers.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
When move tutors come out and it gets Superpower, Knock Off and the works PU is gonna cry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)