- Flash Cannon
- Iron Head
- Aura Sphere
- Focus Blast
- Stored Power
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch

[Pros]

- High special attack along with a solid offensive typing makes Magearna a solid offensive threat.
- Excellent bulk also allows it to run defensive sets such as Assault Vest.
- Amazing movepool allows it to do a variety of roles for a team such as a pivot, wallbreaker, or late game cleaner.
- Amazing defensive typing gives it an abundance of resistances and few weaknesses.

[Cons]
- Easy to wear down defensive sets thanks to a lack of reliable recovery.
- Cannot fit all the coverage it wants on offensive sets, making it always prone to being walled in the wrong matchup.
- Rather poor speed tier.
[Potential Movesets]

Shift Gear
Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul Heart
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Spd / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shift Gear
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast / Calm Mind

Magearna's sets fortunately have not changed much since generation seven, allowing it to go back to its old tricks. Shift Gear allows Magearna to serve as a terrifying late game sweeper. The moves listed above allow Magearna to hit most of the tier for neutral damage at least with the coveted BoltBeam Combo. If additional coverage from Focus Blast is deemed unneeded, Calm Mind allows Magearna to also pose a threat to defensive teams, or even in some cases get both boosts, which is quite possible thanks to its excellent bulk. Soul Heart pairs very well with Shift Gear as it can quickly snowball out of control. Magearna synergizes well with wallbreakers such as Conkeldurr and Hydreigon, as Magearna can exploit the holes they punch in the opponent's team to clean up later in the game.

Assault Vest
Magearna @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Hp / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm / Sassy Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Iron Head / Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast

Magearna's excellent bulk and defensive typing allow it to also run a bulky pivot set, capable of checking offensive threats such as Dragapult, Hydreigon, and Clefable. Fleur Cannon hits very hard despite the lack of special attack investment, thanks to its power and Magearna's naturally high special attack. Volt Switch allows Magearna to gain momentum from an offensive Pokemon thanks to its low speed, while threatening potential Ground-types with its high damage output. Iron Head and Flash Cannon serve similar purposes in checking Clefable and Togekiss, the main difference is that Iron Head is better against Calm Mind Clefable. Focus Blast rounds out the set to hit Ferrothorn. This set fits best on more offensive teams that need a defensive pivot that does not forego too much momentum. Magearna's slow Volt Switch pairs well with frail offensive Pokemon as it allows them to get into position.

Choice Specs:
Magearna @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Aura Sphere
- Trick
Choice Specs Magearna packs incredible immediate power, allowing it to function as an extremely powerful wallbreaker. Fleur Cannon is the STAB move of choice, as it destroys Pokemon that do not resist it or have extremely high special defense. Flash Cannon is a safer STAB move that allows Magearna to hit Clefable, most notably. Volt Switch allows Magearna to gain momentum against incoming defensive Pokemon such as Toxapex and Chansey. Lastly, Trick is Magearna's weapon to cripple walls such as the aforementioned Toxapex, Chansey, and Snorlax. This set fits well on teams in need of a wallbreaker with decent defensive utility that can also grab momentum. Pokemon that can deal with Chansey, Toxapex, and Snorlax, the main counters to this set, are highly appreciated.

Keep in mind that Magearna's movepool makes it incredibly versatile; it has far more potential than the listed sets. Some notable examples include defensive Heart Swap and Calm Mind Pain Split. If you have any additional sets, feel free to post them.

On a side note, the original form of Magearna seen in Volcanion and the Mechanical Marvel is now legal as of Pokemon Home!

Last edited:
Why would you run Agility if Shift Gear exists? It might not seems to matter, but you can also slash Stored Power, so you get 80 BP Move with 1 Shift Gear

Why would you run Agility if Shift Gear exists? It might not seems to matter, but you can also slash Stored Power, so you get 80 BP Move with 1 Shift Gear
Agility does not raise attack like Shift Gear, meaning it does not increase Foul Play's damage like Shift Gear.
It's a very small and usually meaningless upgrade, but an upgrade nonetheless.

peng

hivemind leader
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Shift Gear has a lot of benefit over Agility even on pure special sets even if you have no intention of using the attack boost. Firstly, it doesn't forecast a purely special set - once you use Shift Gear, your opponent has to respect the option of boosted Iron Head (vs SDef Clef for example does 85%+) even if you don't have it. Similarly, Agility also probably gives away that you don't have Stored Power, although I don't know how relevant double dance + stored power will actually be.

The Foul Play damage is still tiny against +1 Magearna, assuming you're a special set with -Atk nature and 0 Atk EVs:
0- Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 33-40 (10.9 - 13.2%) -- possible 8HKO
+1 0- Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 51-60 (16.9 - 19.9%) -- guaranteed 6HKO

All in all, you give your opponent quite a lot of information when you use Agility over Shift Gear, all to turn Foul Play from an 8HKO to a 6HKO. There's definitely pros to both, but I'd personally be running Shift Gear to keep the opponent guessing.

Last edited:
Eerie Impulse + a slow Volt Switch is not bad by any means and it is criminally underlooked.
Eerie Impulse is NOT as powerful as a Nasty Plot...but it isn't that bad considering the amount of switches provided by Magearna's offensive pressure+actual bulk. It can be a niche set, but it is still a thing to consider.
With some Spe control, Magearna leaves holes.

Somehow the mon that already had 4 viable and distinct sets in gen 7 just got at least 2 new ones in gen 8, due to the new moves it got. Stored power and iron defense are surprisingly good moves for magearna, since its natural bulk and resistances let it set up on almost everything, especially behind screens. I'm currently running two different magearna sets, the Iron Defense set from Finch's video and a shift gear set with shift gear, calm mind, aura sphere, and stored power. It can literally win games all on its own. I'm not going to be surprised if this is the first mon to be suspected.

Here are some replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1135938042
Magearna scares out pex, sets up against another magearna, and tanks a scarf cc from urshifu from 50%.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1135788263
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1135735056
Stored power magearna being absolutely ridiculous behind screens.

On another note, it's very sad that original magearna should not be used, due to it lacking some transfer moves (although they are mostly irrelavent).

Somehow the mon that already had 4 viable and distinct sets in gen 7 just got at least 2 new ones in gen 8, due to the new moves it got. Stored power and iron defense are surprisingly good moves for magearna, since its natural bulk and resistances let it set up on almost everything, especially behind screens. I'm currently running two different magearna sets, the Iron Defense set from Finch's video and a shift gear set with shift gear, calm mind, aura sphere, and stored power. It can literally win games all on its own. I'm not going to be surprised if this is the first mon to be suspected.
What's the rational for using aura sphere over other options like bolt/beam or fairy stab? Primarily for steel types?

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 4 HP / 24 Def / 248 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shift Gear
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
This is an alternative spread for Shift Gear Magearna.
The 232 EVs and Timid give Magearna 246 Speed, which after Shift Gear speed ties Scarf Jirachi.
The 4 HP and 24 Def actually matter a lot for Magearna when facing Urshifu-Single-Strike.
252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 24 Def Magearna: 255-301 (84.4 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 24 Def Magearna through Reflect: 127-150 (42 - 49.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu Wicked Blow vs. 4 HP / 24 Def Magearna on a critical hit: 127-150 (42 - 49.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Grimmsnarl is a good partner for Shift Gear Magearna to set up screens, allowing Magearna to show off how bulky it is. Rarely will there be anything OHKOing Magearna under Screens.
All you can do is to try and Thunder Wave Magearna, Taunt it, and stall out screens.

Do you guys think draining kiss can work over aura sphere on the shift gear cm weakness policy set? I think without recover it tends to get worn down more than id like sometimes. Other than ferrothorn what would i miss out on hitting hard once i boost up my stats?

Do you guys think draining kiss can work over aura sphere on the shift gear cm weakness policy set? I think without recover it tends to get worn down more than id like sometimes. Other than ferrothorn what would i miss out on hitting hard once i boost up my stats?
I prefer screens support from Grimmsnarl, which gives Magearna pretty much the same longevity as Drain.
And plus that’s way to weak of a move without using Calm Mind.

Zneon

uh oh
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus

Magearna @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast / Aura Sphere / Ice Beam

CM + 3 attacks is something that I love using and I believe deserves more attention. Draining Kiss is pretty large buff for this mon as despite the lack of power, it being able to heal a majority of your health is incredibly valuable and makes it harder for Magearna to get worn down, meaning that you don't need to rely on pain split for recovery as much nor do you need to add Fleur Cannon as well, which gives it more options. Thunderbolt is to hit stuff like Corviknight, Skarmory and Slowbro. Focus Blast or Aura Sphere is great for hitting Pokemon that resist your moves, such as Magnezone, Ferrothorn and Excadrill and Ice Beam would be an option if you want to hit stuff like Tangrowth and Amoonguss. At the moment, the EV spread will be like that until I come up with an optimal EV spread, but if any of you have one feel free to share it.

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
Magearna @ Leftovers
—-
Shift Gear/Iron Defense
Calm Mind
Stored Power
Draining Kiss

This is probably one of the most broken sets I’ve ever seen. You can literally get outplayed the whole game, have all five of your other Pokémon fainted, and still pull an underserved win out of your ass. Very few things counter this set.

Magearna @ Leftovers
—-
Shift Gear/Iron Defense
Calm Mind
Stored Power
Draining Kiss

This is probably one of the most broken sets I’ve ever seen. You can literally get outplayed the whole game, have all five of your other Pokémon fainted, and still pull an underserved win out of your ass. Very few things counter this set.
I have had this scenario play out on several occasions while using the set. If the opponent doesn't have a phaser and/or a Toxapex with Haze, it can win the game single-handedly. For example, at +2 defense, a Pyro Ball from a max Atk Cinderace only does 36.3 - 42.9%. After Cinderace comes in you can continue to Iron Defense and then Stored Power for a 2HKO. Leftovers and Draining Kiss are more than enough recovery to keep this thing alive and well.

So you think draining kiss is better than aura sphere?
Probably. With STAB, Draining Kiss is only slightly weaker than Aura Sphere, so they do almost the same damage to Dark-types (except Draining Kiss will heal a ton of damage). While Aura Sphere deals more damage than Draining Kiss to Steel-types, Steel-types can be muscled through with Stored Power.

Last edited:

shadowpea

everyone is lonely sometimes
is a Tiering Contributor
Magearna @ Leftovers
—-
Shift Gear/Iron Defense
Calm Mind
Stored Power
Draining Kiss

Another set like this:

Magearna @ Weakness Policy
152 HP / 104 Def / 36 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shift Gear
- Stored Power
- Draining Kiss
- Calm Mind

I claim no credit for this set. I stole it from Amir's RMT.

Weakness Policy + SG + CM gives Stored Power ridiculous power, and often you can just heal with Draining Kiss to regain the damage you took. If you Shift Gear when the opponent hits you with a super effective move it can be all over for the opponent, as with the SpA boost you can easily heal back most of your HP with Draining Kiss. The EVs allows Magearna to survive various super effective attacks to grab the WP boost.

I suppose you can use Iron Defense over Shift Gear and drop some of the EVs for bulk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)